Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 10:45   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Since the booster upgrade, on Saturday, have driven about 60 odd KMs including few high speed bursts and braking.
I must say I stick to my old approximation of 30-40% improvement. It was quite delightful and the braking distance has reduced quite a bit. Instead of the earlier slightly soggy (wet 'rag'ish) feeling, though I was quite happy with it, there is quite a bit of crispness at high speed braking. And have noticed that even at slow speed the bite is rather nice and so is the overall responsiveness. All of these perceptions result in a better confidence as far as the brakes are concerned.
So - so far so good. Though the 'so far' distance has come down with new booster ! All thanks to the 200 NM difference in the brake force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Hmm, now I am tempted to do it too. Since you talk about a 30-40% improvement!
Going by my experience as with the rest of the good folks here who have installed the new booster - you should. It is a fairly simple process really. Old booster out, new booster in and Bison would have received a booster shot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
...the actual cost is about 42,000 however Toyota is replacing the same on our older models at a cost of about 4,700 plus labour and a few other tube / gaskets that need to be replaced once opened. Costs about 6K in all...
Wanted to bust this myth that the dealers have been feeding some folks. Checked with couple of chaps and a TKML contact as well. The upgrade is being offered as an add on and so it is not being offered at a discount etc. You pay exactly what you would have paid for a normal part change out of warranty.
The logic ( as informed to me by the TKML contact) being that the existing (2010-11 type) brake system meets the ARAI and SIAM regulations and an enhanced braking system is being offered on the 2012 Fortuner which can be installed on the older Fortuners at a cost. The cost being the cost of parts + labour. I have no arguments with that - as long it is available and does a lot of good for you and the vehicle in terms of safety and confidence. And thank God for small mercies that unlike other manufacturers where newer, improved components cannot be fitted in because of radical design changes, in the Fortuner one can hope to keep adding improved versions of existing components and company offers the same as add ons at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredenuemann View Post
1. Unlike the earlier upgrade where they retained the parts replaced, here the original parts were returned to me. My vehicle is out of warranty too.
Quote:
2. I notice that they have charged you about Rs 1000 less for labour than what I paid. Wonder if thats due to the fact that your vehicle is still under warranty or if its due to a " labour of love" since you are always so involved with the service of your vehicle and the service folks!
Hi AEN,
1. Curious - did you have to pay anything for the brake kit upgrade then ? I think they would have replaced the front brake discs with larger discs and pads.

2. I guess the labour charges are different presumably because you had gone for regular service and along with the change of the booster and components they would have, as a part of the routine service, cleaned up all the brakes and would have lumped the entire cost under one head of brakes R&R. Brake cleaning alone costs about 850 bucks + taxes for both front and rear brakes.

Adios for now and next time I see you folks on the roads - shall 'stop' in time !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02136.jpg

Last edited by Guderian : 27th May 2013 at 11:04.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 14:26   #1877
BHPian

Hi AEN,
1. Curious - did you have to pay anything for the brake kit upgrade then ? I think they would have replaced the front brake discs with larger discs and pads.

Hi Guderian,
I didn't pay anything for the first upgrade of the brakes, and they retained the old parts too. So that upgrade was for free, while this one was paid for. No complaints really as it has just improved the brakes which like you I really didn't have too many complaints about, and yes, the very fact that one has the option to go in for the upgrade and that too for a reasonable amount makes it a sweet deal from Toyota.

My battery packed up a couple of weeks ago. No issues the previous day and wouldn't start the next morning. It had run 3 years and 4 months. Got it replaced by the service centre itself.

Have had a hassle free ownership till date from the time I bought this vehicle. Tough as nails no nonsense ride it is.
alfredenuemann is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 17:39   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get this feeling that the Admiral shall be sailing a little faster in the coming days.
Hi Guderian,

It is good to note the upgrade you have given to your Admiral.

The details you have provided, for sure are very informative for other adopters. The joy of able to retro fit into all the product line up, is a good advantage!
Old 28th May 2013, 04:59   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I didn't pay anything for the first upgrade of the brakes, and they retained the old parts too. So that upgrade was for free, while this one was paid for.

2. My battery packed up a couple of weeks ago.

3. Tough as nails no nonsense ride it is.
Hi AEN,
1. Yes so that figures that the IInd upgrade (booster change) is indeed an add on.
2. That is indeed a fairly good life for a battery. Which one/make did you get as a replacment and how much did it cost you ?
3. You can say that again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
The joy of able to retro fit into all the product line up, is a good advantage!
Hi getsurya,
I've been checking quite a few items from the new Fortuner - most of them can be fitted on to the Classic Fortuner. Bumpers, interior fixtures and what not. Interesting, to say the least.

Last edited by Guderian : 28th May 2013 at 05:02.
Old 28th May 2013, 21:23   #1880
BHPian

Hi HG,

I checked up the brake booster in my fortuner. After hearing the news of Dkaile's fortune with his fortuner's brake system, I expected to get lucky too!

Sadly, its no better.
It's the old 1st Gen TVS booster.
Here's a pic.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130528_212007.png
Views: 1751
Size:  509.2 KB

When we meet next, I'd like to TD Admiral and check out the effective braking difference. Then maybe will take a call to upgrade the booster system. Or not.

Currently, over my last 2 years of ownership, I haven't had any issues
with the braking of my fortuner. But again, that's my experience..
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 08:24   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
1. ...I expected to get lucky too !

2. When we meet next, I'd like to TD Admiral and check out the effective braking difference...
1. Well, that's some hope you had there Monaro keeping in mind the fact that you have a 2010 Fortuner ! But then what would man be if not for hope...!

2. Believe me when I tell you this - it ain't worth waiting. And the procedure isn't all that terrible or complicated as I thought it would be and it is exactly as described earlier. Nothing more nothing less. Just inform DSK Pune that you want the new booster installed which you are willing to pay for - ask them to organise the parts as described and push ahead. If you run into any issues - let me know - shall tip off the TKML AM -CS (West) here in Mumbai to talk to the dealer or you and take things forward.
Old 2nd June 2013, 19:11   #1882
Senior - BHPian

And after a week and few hundred kilometers of running it was time to carry out check for brake oil leaks from the tubes. Which is a good thing to do.
And so it was done today.

The general area of inspection:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02201.jpg

The tissue paper test:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02202.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02204.jpg

Everything looked clean:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02205.jpg

All points checked satisfactorily:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02206.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02207.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02209.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02210.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02212.jpg

All clear.

And then the check of the inner sides of all tyres to spot of there are any tell tale signs of oil drip/wickage:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02213.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02217.jpg

All clear.
So that's that !

One of the things that I particularly dislike about the Toyota Fortuner is the paint surface strength. Which to me is rather weak. Picks up minor scratches and scuffs rather easily.
And this issue, I hope, will be rectified in the all new Fortuner 2014 !n My wish list for the all new Fortuner is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...coming-up.html

This was I think picked up sometime last week - either at the ASC or during routine operations:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02218.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02219.jpg
And I know every little war scar on the Admiral.

But nothing that the F1 ScratchOut can't shoo away after which a nice rub down of the hide with the F1 polish:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02220.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02221.jpg

And so all set for further adventures:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02222.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02226.jpg

Tally ho !

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd June 2013 at 19:36.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:56   #1883
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guderian,

Besides the Brakes Booster et all. What else (that is improved) on the New Fortuner is a direct replacement on the pre face lift one?

The wider intake Scoop?
The New Infotainment System? (w/o) the silver surrounds i.e.
Parking sensors?
Any of the Lights? (seem to be a different size) - What is the bumper too is changed?
The Boot mounted Number Plate Chrome Strip (that is wider).
The Grill?
Old 6th June 2013, 17:02   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Besides the Brakes Booster et all. What else (that is improved) on the New Fortuner is a direct replacement on the pre face lift one?
Hi ACM,
As of now what I understand is:

1. The wider intake Scoop ?
Can't be fitted as a one piece item as the aperture below on the bonnet has also widened.

2. The New Infotainment System? (w/o) the silver surrounds i.e.
Parking sensors?
Have been told that it can be installed on the older version.

3. Any of the Lights? (seem to be a different size) - What is the bumper too is changed?
The new front and rear bumpers can be fitted on the pre 2012 Fortuner along with the lights & grill &...bonnet ! The front shape/cut of the bonnet has changed.

4. The Boot mounted Number Plate Chrome Strip (that is wider).
The chrome strip is actually a stick on job. The old one can be ripped off and the new one pasted with minimal fuss as I see it.

The basic dimensions and most steel plates have remained of the same size so I think the other bits can be added on with some effort.
Old 7th June 2013, 10:58   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi ACM,
As of now what I understand is:

1. The wider intake Scoop ?
Can't be fitted as a one piece item as the aperture below on the bonnet has also widened.

2. The New Infotainment System? (w/o) the silver surrounds i.e.
Parking sensors?
Have been told that it can be installed on the older version.

3. Any of the Lights? (seem to be a different size) - What is the bumper too is changed?
The new front and rear bumpers can be fitted on the pre 2012 Fortuner along with the lights & grill &...bonnet ! The front shape/cut of the bonnet has changed.

4. The Boot mounted Number Plate Chrome Strip (that is wider).
The chrome strip is actually a stick on job. The old one can be ripped off and the new one pasted with minimal fuss as I see it.

The basic dimensions and most steel plates have remained of the same size so I think the other bits can be added on with some effort.
Lights? I have enquired about the HIDs a few times, I have been told that one needs to replace the entire wiring harness in order to get the new lights, apart from the other changes. Not sure whether really true or not, but it seemed an expensive replacement, not worth the delta benefit imo. Even with my 70% VLT windscreen sunfilm, the current lights are adequate for high speed 2 lane highway driving. So haven't done any more research.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 20:06   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Paus Ala !

Went out the shout late last week.
And in came with a swish the weather that Admiral revels the most in.
Monsoons !

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02282.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02284.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02285.jpg

And to certify the ol' boy shipshape for the monsoon.

Firstly the tyres.

Right pressure:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02263.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02265.jpg

Check treads. Look fine, with plenty of life.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02266.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02270.jpg

Wiper check - front and rear windshield wipers.
Made by NWB - good quality wipers. Has served on the Admiral for 2 rains and now ready for the the 3rd. Will last out these rains as well I reckon. Rubber is supple. Just one streak each on the two front wipers.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02271.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02274.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02275.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02280.jpg

Windshield wash fluid topped up.
Fluid = Tap water + 5 drops of Oneder Drop dish washer liquid in 1.5 litres if water. Has served me well for the past decade. Cuts the windshield muck like magic even when it is dried up. All rubber parts remain safe.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02287.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02288.jpg

Ol' chap Sparks checked:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02291.jpg

Engine oil level checked:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02295.jpg

Cool sip level checked:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02298.jpg

Baaki sab theek hai !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02300.jpg

And all set after the spit and polish:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02302.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02306.jpg

And after a nice, short drive later.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02308.jpg

Happy monsoon folks and drive safe !

Last edited by Guderian : 9th June 2013 at 20:09.
Guderian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 08:44   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Windshield wash fluid topped up.
Fluid = Tap water
Try using RO water instead of tap water. Tap water has unnecessary dissolved minerals which slowly clog/damage the lines over the years and cause blockages of the nozzles. Anything below TDS of 40~50ppm will suffice. I source pharmaceutical grade distilled water from my factory for all water based fluids which is even better.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 08:32   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Try using RO water instead of tap water...
Thank you dkaile. Yes, earlier too someone had informed me about (think it was ACM) - never got around to doing it. Perhaps should get a huge tankard of DM water or some such thing and keep it at home and use it. Even 3M has a huge container pack (5 Lts. or so) of windshield water - which I think I can get.

And taking of other kinds of water - in the meantime there's water, water everywhere in amchi Mumbai/Thane. Choppy rivers & canals on roads - Admiral sails on regardless. The coming months should be fun.

Last edited by Guderian : 11th June 2013 at 08:35.
Old 16th June 2013, 20:54   #1889
Senior - BHPian

That Mumbai is receiving plenty of rains would be an understatement.
That this is the weather Fortuners were created for would again be an understatement.
That...c'mon forget all the understatements...and have a dekko at the snaps from Admiral's bridge - of this morning's dawn patrol to SoBo.

(Disclaimer - All snaps taken when Admiral was stationary. Dead halt !)

On the way out. Heavens had opened up for quite some time since early morning.
At Chembur:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02310.jpg

At Kings Circle. Water had just slowly begun to inch up:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02311.jpg

Dadar - Kabutarkhana. Parked to the side. Blinding rain.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02313.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02314.jpg

Sentinels of the sky...Sorry IAF...couldn't resist it !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02315.jpg

After a chukker of the Fort area on the way back - just after a couple of hours or even less. By then what were roads had turned into canals. And we did spot a few red steamboats.

At Dadar TT:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02316.jpg

That was kids play.

And then we touched Kings Circle.

Sign of the fun ahead:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02318.jpg

Manholes - not draining water but pumping back water on to the roads.
Ye hai Mumbai meri jaan !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02319.jpg

Red steamboat ahoy ! Stranded though:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02320.jpg

River tug ahoy ! Dead duck in the water though:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02321.jpg

Another stranded steamboat. This one with the driver and passengers wondering as to what next:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02322.jpg

Admiral ploughs through...dry land dead ahead ahoy !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc02323.jpg

And soon home and dry.

Frankly I was worried at a few deep spots.
But all through Admiral was fabulous in the water.
Wait - that's an understatement ! Again.

Aloha.

Last edited by Guderian : 16th June 2013 at 21:09.
Guderian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 11:17   #1890
BHPian

Sailing the rough seas eh Generale' ?

I agree with you HG, regarding the peace of mind one gets from knowing the fact we are equipped with a car to handle such situations.

How did the brakes fare after the wheels went submerged for those few patches?

My experience in such situations has lead me to be careful of the application of brakes for the next km or so.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks