Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 07:42   #1801
BHPian

Pictures Of the Two Hitch being fitted on Free Spirit 2

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-image373423498.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-image1700226863.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-image1927455016.jpg
rahultomahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 14:12   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Hats off for keeping such a comprehensive manual on cost accruals, service bills, et al...
Ricky - You, sir, have been very lavish in your praise ! Thank you very much indeed.
Frankly I find it fun to keep details of the vehicle (a practice I just started with my earlier vehicle the Scorpio CRDe and not earlier) as it helped me immensely. More so if one were to retain the vehicle for a long time.
There were times when I had to hit the M&M ASC hard (as the Scorp came with a 5 year warranty) - performance, parts changed etc and what helped was the data on the XL. Also helped to track the routine maintenance activities to be carried out and exceptions.

And as the vehicle grows long in the tooth it is a pleasure (from my perspective) to own it and keep tabs on every breath it takes.
Or its madness of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
Just Fitted a Tow bar and a cycle rack on the Free Spirit 2.
Thanks for sharing Rahul.
I am not sure about the cycle rack but the tow hook looks interesting. But can't dream about fitting it on Admiral as he is neither going to tow a trailer anytime soon nor will he be playing a rescue dog. And even if does attempt to rescue some soul in distress, I guess the towing eyelet welded to the ladder frame would suffice. But worse - if I were to fit it - there is no way I could then park him in my micro stamp sized parking.
Good reasons eh ? OK I confess - the money to be spent part is bothersome too.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 17:56   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Guderian,

A very informative thread indeed! Many thanks for such crisp details and pictures, which makes it a pleasure to read your thread.

I am planning to return to India this December and am looking for a good SUV which is for long keeps!!

Appreciate your patience and passion!

Last edited by getsurya : 23rd March 2013 at 17:57.
Old 25th March 2013, 10:28   #1804
Senior - BHPian

Of this and that from a couple of Sundays.

Yesterday was the day for the engine bay and battery check.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01708.jpg

And nothing more satisfying that a squeaky clean engine bay for the next few days.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01709.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01712.jpg

And to present a constant accomplice for all kinds of activities in and around the Admiral. My 8 year old Leatherman Wave. Ever present and ever ready. A gem of of a multi-tool.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01715.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01721.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01723.jpg

And a few Sundays ago, after having received a feedback that Admiral's interior was begining to look tired - decided to do something about it, after procastinating for months. A deft kick in the shin, courtesy a well intentioned friend and fellow TBHPian, by way of a feedback did it. Slogged for about 5 hours over a Saturday and Sunday. But finally done. Every piece of leather and plastic was cleaned and polished. To bring Admiral's interiors back to 'major kit-inspection' fit status/condition.

Used this interior cleaner:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01658.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01661.jpg
Seemed to have worked well. It's a concentrated soap solution. But appeared to be gentle on the leather and plastic/s.

And the end result appeared rather delightful to my eye:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01648.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01649.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01650.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01651.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01652.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01653.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01656.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01657.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01665.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01671.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01672.jpg
More than pleasing results - don't you think so ?

And got a tyre pressure gauge for the Admiral. Made in India - wanted one which wasn't made in China ! Wanted it for cross checking the Linc Digital Inflator's gauge. Came at 200 bucks.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01640.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01643.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc01647.jpg
Initial trials trials showed that the inflator's gauge was accurate and reflected the exact reading of the new gauge. Corroborative evidence evidence they call it. Seems that my apprehension that the inflator's digital gauge was 'off' by a few PSIs seemed to have been unfounded.
Keeping the tyre pressure at 32PSI as per the inflator's gauge - the level which seems to work well for Admiral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
A very informative thread indeed!
I am planning to return to India this December and am looking for a good SUV which is for long keeps!!
Hi getsurya,
Thank you very much for the warm words of appreciation !

On return, I am sure you have a nice list of 'pucca' SUVs and softroaders to chose from - Rexton, Endeavour (the new edition should be out by then), BMW X1, Audi Q3, Isuzu etc and of course the Fortuner. There could be a couple of new launches too by Dec, as I understand.
I am of course rather prejudiced in favour of Fortuner - natural right ?
Should you need any information on the Fortuner in the meantime - do give me a shout !

Last edited by Guderian : 25th March 2013 at 10:40.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 21:57   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi getsurya,
Thank you very much for the warm words of appreciation !

On return, I am sure you have a nice list of 'pucca' SUVs and softroaders to chose from - Rexton, Endeavour (the new edition should be out by then), BMW X1, Audi Q3, Isuzu etc and of course the Fortuner. There could be a couple of new launches too by Dec, as I understand.
I am of course rather prejudiced in favour of Fortuner - natural right ?
Should you need any information on the Fortuner in the meantime - do give me a shout !

Hi Guderian, My pleasure!

The current list of choices are a range - Fortuner, Rexton, XUV, in the order of preference.

I do not like BMW, for sure. AUDI is overtly expensive in India.
Old 26th March 2013, 17:30   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The current list of choices are a range - Fortuner, Rexton, XUV, in the order of preference.
I do not like BMW, for sure. AUDI is overtly expensive in India.
Hi getsurya, In that range I did forget to include Hyundai's Santa Fe which I am told is quite a SUV/Softroader. I am not sure whether the XUV 500 falls in that range - cost-wise or capability-wise.
I guess the Europeans just don't impress you eh ? Same here !
Good luck on the SUV hunt.
Old 26th March 2013, 17:38   #1807
Distinguished - BHPian

The engine bay looks C-L-E-A-N, in fact way too clean for an SUV .
I think you should fix it ASAP .
Old 26th March 2013, 19:59   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure whether the XUV 500 falls in that range - cost-wise or capability-wise.
Thanks for your response, Guderian!

XUV only crept into the list because of my earlier lineage of owning two Scorpios(different versions) and am biased on M&M(positively) for thier customer service.

I only wish that Toyota relases thier next version of the Fortuner by end of this year with a much better looking dashboard design & equipment to match the price
Old 29th March 2013, 12:53   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Also I see three unused switch postions on the lower dash (driver's side).
So what has Toyota removed from the Indian version?
Old 29th March 2013, 18:08   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The engine bay looks C-L-E-A-N, in fact way too clean for an SUV .
I think you should fix it ASAP .
Ha ! Reminds of the time when I was pilloried here for showing some obscenely high FE figures. Shamed into driving like a maniac (as opposed to 'Granny style' driving) for the next two weeks till the FE dropped to believable levels.
Well, frankly, trying break free of the shackles of the city and head for the wilds and get the old boy to do some mud wrestling. Just doesn't seem to be happening !

Quote:
1. XUV only crept into the list because of my earlier lineage of owning two Scorpios(different versions) and am biased on M&M(positively) for thier customer service.

2.I only wish that Toyota relases thier next version of the Fortuner by end of this year with a much better looking dashboard design & equipment to match the price
1. Being an ex Scorpio owner myself I can well appreciate the emotions and have very positive feeling towards towards M&M but certainly not towards their ASCs. As mentioned elsewhere, Scorpio is ( or at least my Scorpio CRDe was !) a real good product from M&M but ruined by the ASCs.

2. From what I hear, that's not going to happen for the next 18 odd months as they've completed the last round of facelift in Jan 2012.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Also I see three unused switch postions on the lower dash (driver's side).
So what has Toyota removed from the Indian version?
Nothing really. Those are extra points like in every other vehicle - in case the owners want to add gadgets like additional fog lamps etc. I had seen snaps of the interiors of SA & Thailand Fortuners and I thought I found them just the same, in the comparable variant - 4X4 MT. Not sure whether there are any additional switches etc in the V6 petrol variant or the Hilux - Vigo/Surf - as I was informed the panels are almost the same.

Last edited by Guderian : 29th March 2013 at 18:13.
Old 29th March 2013, 18:29   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And got a tyre pressure gauge for the Admiral. Made in India - wanted one which wasn't made in China ! Wanted it for cross checking the Linc Digital Inflator's gauge. Came at 200 bucks.

Initial trials trials showed that the inflator's gauge was accurate and reflected the exact reading of the new gauge. Corroborative evidence evidence they call it. Seems that my apprehension that the inflator's digital gauge was 'off' by a few PSIs seemed to have been unfounded.
Keeping the tyre pressure at 32PSI as per the inflator's gauge - the level which seems to work well for Admiral.
I am still in trial phase with my LIMI inflator since I bought. For the few trials that I had, I observed that it gets bumpy inspite of setting 230 (~ 33) for filling as recommended for Innova. However, the ride settles if the pressure is dropped by a point to 32.

When I used to top at the pumps, always used to top up to 33 which used to be good. But with LIMI, I find the same bouncy. Feel that it is topping up more. Now I am thinking of getting the digital gauge multi-tool (Rs 950) to go with it so I can cross-check easily. Guess it will need getting used to on what pressure to set. But as I said, it is probably filling more pressure than shown. Will try ascertain it in some more trials. Also, I always top up either near mid-night or early at 6-7 AM times.

I wonder how you correctly check with the analogue gauge you have which doesn't have (single) unit markings.

Last edited by parsh : 29th March 2013 at 18:31.
Old 29th March 2013, 20:54   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
1.I am still in trial phase with my LIMI inflator...

2. I wonder how you correctly check with the analogue gauge you have which doesn't have (single) unit markings.
1. Ahh...the famous trial and error of pressure !

2. I fill in 32psi by Limi and check with the ana-gauge, where the first unit after 30 is all I need. And the needle homes in on that unit mark - bang on. As of now. Of course both Limi gauge and the ana-gauge could be inaccurate but then...

If you are getting a digital one make sure you don't get a Chinese one. Most of them are poor quality stuff, irrespective of the amount of money you pay, and generally turns inaccurate after couple of rounds of usage and then packs up. That is why I was happy picking up a robust Indian piece. May not be completely accurate (nothing is) but gets you quite nearby there and remains functional for a long time.

Last edited by Guderian : 29th March 2013 at 20:56.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 21:20   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guderian,

I hope you had your sunday session with the Admiral(to make it look awesome!), I had mine!

Well, my better half and myself had a well spent full sunday(by the way, it is getting warmer in the place I live - Des Moines, Iowa ) reading through your thread from start to the most current post. What an experience it was, AMAZING narration and I share quite a lot of the passion and concerns for keeping one's car well maintained.

After reading through your thread and some part of Ahmed's(Megalodon) thread, my better half was convinced that I should buy a Fortuner upon my return this December to India. Ahoy!!That is half war won, the other half being the finances and other details.

You should be proud of yourself for the details in this thread and the lucid writing skills. Keep it up and a BIG THANK YOU!
Old 9th April 2013, 10:32   #1814
BHPian

Guderian saab,

One quick question. My Callandor is due for the 5K Km service this week, and just wanted to see if there is anything specific to be done. From your post, I gather it is just routine, with check ups and cleaning right? Should I ask for tyre rotation?
Old 9th April 2013, 16:21   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I hope you had your sunday session with the Admiral(to make it look awesome!), I had mine!
2. Well, my better half and myself had a well spent full sunday...
Hi getsurya,
1. Well the Sunday session was carried out on Saturday and Sunday was spent driving around the city. And it was a delighful Sunday for more reasons than one. And one of the reasons has been explained below.

2. Wow ! That's some fulsome praise and thank you very much. I am almost turning red...

I think you have a delightful line up before you come to a conclusion on the choice of your new ride when you come back to India. In addition to the Fortuner you should have a great time trying out the:
- Pajero Sport.
- Isuzu MU 7.
- New Endeavour.
- Sang-a-song M&M Rexton.
- Hyundai Santa Fe.
- Nissan X Trail.
- Renault Koleos.
All sub 30L wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
One quick question. My Callandor is due for the 5K Km service this week, and just wanted to see if there is anything specific to be done. From your post, I gather it is just routine, with check ups and cleaning right? Should I ask for tyre rotation?
Hi Venkat, Nothing much to be done. Except that, if they haven't already done it, have them to inspect the underbody and suspension and torque all the points/bolts & nuts, if needed. Normally it's done at the 1k service.
As far as the tyre rotation is concerned, they'll tell you that it is done every 10K KMs. But you can ask them if you want to get it done and they'll do it. I get it done as per the schedule every 10K.

And on Sunday I scraped my chin, real bad.

We had spent the day pottering about, as usual, in DaMu (Dakshin Mumbai, SoMu sounds so out of place, SoBo is politically incorrect !) and on return as we neared our colony from one of the neighbouring colonies lumbered out this leviathan.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-chevrolet-suburban.jpg
Leviathan would be mild word really to describe this White, '92-'99 period, Delhi registered, Chevrolet Suburban.
If I thought the Fortuner was big - I was soundly chastened after meeting the Chevy. It looked as though it could gobble up couple of Fortuners and not even spit out the bones.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-chevrolet-suburban-2.jpg
(Note:Both snaps are from the net - Wikipedia. My hands were shaking badly and so was in no position to take snaps. More so as I didn't have the camera either.)

And in a trice my jaw dropped. So low that it hit the floor board and I suffered a nasty scrape from the brake pedal.
And in the meanwhile, open mouthed, I watched the Chevy glide past us, with the grace of a Blue Whale.
And my mouth took sometime to shut.
Huge, monstrous, gargantuan were the words which stayed with me for the rest of the day. And suddenly Admiral felt like a super small sub-compact.

Oow ! What was that ? Just scratched my injured chin, thinking of that humungousaur.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks