Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 15:57   #1696
BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
But since such an incident shakes one's confidence in the tyres, if you really want to change look at Michelin A/T, Scorpion etc. E.g. have a look at http://changemytyre.com/TOYOTA/FORTU...l-Variants/668, check out Tirerack.com to do some research. Suggest you go for A/T since the added toughness is worth it.
I noticed that the burst had happened only after driving for 50 meters after the toll booth. Like i mentioned earlier, i guess there was some low lying projection in the toll booth (new ones the Haasan road) may be the toll walas had kept some kind of barricade in the previous night and it might have torn into the tyre as i did not notice it. I did notice the watchman watching the car on the rear mirror but i did not bother about it and only when i noticed the burst i could connect it with the watchman looking at the tyres.

I have nitrogen filled in the tyres and i had checked the pressure just the day before i left on the long drive and hence i dont think high pressure would have been an issue.

Regarding getting a good deal from the Toyota dealer, they quote 24K and they dont budge on that price. They claim that only Toyota supplies these tyres and hence no budging on the price ! Like i have mentioned, i intend to keep the new tyre only as a spare and even if i have to use it, i intend to get the puncture fixed on the dunlop and put it back and push the spare back into stepney. Like i mentioned earlier 24K for a tyre is something i cant digest and pay up anyways if there is no way out, i have to i suppose
Old 9th October 2012, 18:22   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
Hi Harish ,

Got my self a new Fortuner , Its named Free Spirit 2. I sold my Landcruiser. Posting some pics of the new car.
Sacre bleu ! It's a sacrilege !
Firstly for having sold the good ol' Land Cruiser ( but I am sure only you know the joys and sorrows of owning the creature !) and worse calling a T-Fortuner a car !

Congratulation Rahul - it's a fabulous colour you've selected.

Quote:
Hi Kedar, please find the photos of Free Spirit 2 .
Of all things - liked the hydraulic bonnet opener. Has it been fixed on both sides of the bonnet or only one side ? And what are the damages (paisa outflow) like ? They must have had to drill at least 4 holes on each side - two on the bonnet and two on the engine bay rim. Something I quake at the very thought of !

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaji View Post
The rear tyre of my Fortuner burst the other day due to some low lying object at a Toll booth and the tear is pretty deep. I presume it cant be vulcanized and used too even with a tube inside (in turn making it With Tube tyre). Being R17, tubes are not available easily too...

The price of a stock Dunlop from Toyota costs a fortune (24K+ !) and I' am in no mood to go for them. What is the alternative the Guru's here would suggest ? I understand Bridgestone is harder than Dunlop so its not recommended unless all the tyres are changed...whats better for the stepney and which is available in India in R17 size ?
Yaji - Terribly sorry to hear of this mishap.
One thing - if you are putting a large patch and placing a tube inside - the experienced hand will tell you that the tube should be one size less than the tubeless tyre size. So you should put an R16. Or else it folds up etc and tears up soon. Had this issue in my Scorpio and so put a R15 in the R16 Yokos. Never had an issue till till the last day. So check whether you can get a 265/65/R16 tube and see if you can patch up the old Dunlop for time being. But running a tubeless with a tube is best avoided - there could be heat generation etc - so do drive at sane speeds !
Coming to new tyres - you'll get Dunlop AT20s for 13-14K at some of the dealers. So please keep hunting - you are bound to find someone having it !
Checked it just a couple of months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
BTW, where's Herr' Generale'?
Jawohl mein Herr - I am right here. But then what with the thread having moved to the geriatric ward - one would, I guess, be a little slow with the updates and presence, appearing only at the major milestones !
Or do you say there is no need to behave like a doddering, senile old man ?!!

Quote:
I noticed that the burst had happened only after driving for 50 meters after the toll booth...
Yaji - Did the tyre get ripped at the sidewall or at the tread section ?
You could have raised hell at the toll booth and demanded compensation !

And meanwhile Admiral continues to sail on an even keel. Touchwood !
- FE hovering at 12.1-12.5 KMPL.
- Doing just about 38 KMs a day as compared to the 80 KMs earlier. Siiiigh - reducing your commute distance has some downside/s I guess.
- Just one run to Pune last month. A dream run once again. Drove pretty wild this time. Touched speeds not worthy of being mentioning here.

Aloha !

Last edited by Guderian : 9th October 2012 at 18:31.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 07:13   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Yaji - Terribly sorry to hear of this mishap.
One thing - if you are putting a large patch and placing a tube inside - the experienced hand will tell you that the tube should be one size less than the tubeless tyre size. So you should put an R16. Or else it folds up etc and tears up soon. Had this issue in my Scorpio and so put a R15 in the R16 Yokos. Never had an issue till till the last day. So check whether you can get a 265/65/R16 tube and see if you can patch up the old Dunlop for time being. But running a tubeless with a tube is best avoided - there could be heat generation etc - so do drive at sane speeds !
Coming to new tyres - you'll get Dunlop AT20s for 13-14K at some of the dealers. So please keep hunting - you are bound to find someone having it !
Checked it just a couple of months ago.

Did the tyre get ripped at the sidewall or at the tread section ?
You could have raised hell at the toll booth and demanded compensation !
Guderian - Thanks for the tips about the tube size thing.
The tyre has got ripped on the sidewall to a length of about 3+ inches and I' am not sure whether its fixable in the first place even if i want it to be. I will go looking for a Dunlop dealer here in Blr...the thing is that i have a long trip planned after 10 days (a 2k+ Km drive) and i dont want to go on it with a flat tyre in the stepney and that drives my urgency.

regarding raising a hell at the toll booth, knowing the kind of people who man those booths, i would only waste my time and also spoil my own state of mind by expecting a compensation from them dont you think so ?
Old 10th October 2012, 08:51   #1699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-The tyre has got ripped on the sidewall to a length of about 3+
- regarding raising a hell at the toll booth, knowing the kind of people who man those booths, i would only waste my time and also spoil my own state of mind by expecting a compensation from them dont you think so ?
Hi Yaji,
- Even a 3+ inch gash can be patched up with a double patch. However since it is the sidewall in question and that would be under constant flex and deflex (is there a word like that ?) motion - I wouldn't recommend it.
So the best option would be, in case you don't get a Dunny, to get a Yoko or BS AT and use it as the stepney and run the vehicle with 4 Dunnys. Whenever you have a flat use the BS and place it back as the stepney after patching up the Dunny and continue with it as the running tyre.

About raising hell at the toll booth - naaah...I think it better to do it than not. I have found that most of the times there is some compromise or the other arrived at...and these days the toll-wallahs are all employees from largish firms and a little better than the blokes who used to manage it in the early days of toll booths in India. Always yell for the Manager and pick up the story from there !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 09:51   #1700
BHPian

Had gone camping to Kashid. Posting a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-image3373522390.jpg  

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-image2781626682.jpg  

rahultomahawk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 09:39   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had gone camping to Kashid. Posting a couple of pics.
Hi Rahul,
Those snaps look heavenly. Thanks for sharing.
Good looking and functional (I guess) that camping gear.

Couple of questions: One about the bonnet support/opener - asked earlier - how much did it cost you and whether it's one piece each deployed on both sides of the bonnet or just a single piece on one side.

Secondly - is there a security system for the camping gear when packed and secured fully on the roof top ? Or do you remove it and stash away during city runs ?
Old 11th October 2012, 10:23   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian
Hi Rahul,
Those snaps look heavenly. Thanks for sharing.
Good looking and functional (I guess) that camping gear.

Couple of questions: One about the bonnet support/opener - asked earlier - how much did it cost you and whether it's one piece each deployed on both sides of the bonnet or just a single piece on one side.

Secondly - is there a security system for the camping gear when packed and secured fully on the roof top ? Or do you remove it and stash away during city runs ?
Hi ,
Sorry for replying late, cost will let you know have not asked my friend. He got it from Thailand. There are two pieces, one for each side, i dont think any drilling was done but will confirm and let you know as I was not present at the time of fitting.

The tent is held up by 8 bolts and its heavy 35 kgs cannot be easiliy removed. I remove it during the rains only ,rest of the times even during city runs its there on top.
rahultomahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 14:33   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ,
Sorry for replying late, cost will let you know have not asked my friend...

The tent is held up by 8 bolts and its heavy 35 kgs cannot be easiliy removed. I remove it during the rains only ,rest of the times even during city runs its there on top.
Hi Rahul,
Nice friend you have there.

Good to hear about the camping gear's 'inbuilt' security.

And then thanks for the SMS which explained (and this is for the rest of the good folks here) that there are two hydraulic supports - one on either side of the bonnet and that there is no drilling involved at all.
The set is priced at Rs. 5 K.

When Admiral goes for a long refit - this (the hydraulic bonnet support) probably will be one of the items. Other items currently being contemplated (though against my grain of thinking - the first two items at least !) - Pete's Box and K&N filter besides additional lights, new full FRP moulded bull bar, tail pipe garnish...etc.
And when is this major refit ? Post warranty of course. Or after Admiral Gorshkov is delivered to Indian Navy, which ever is later. Now that should take a while, giving me enough time to think about it and decide against most of the items for refit !

Last edited by Guderian : 11th October 2012 at 14:35.
Old 11th October 2012, 16:43   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When Admiral goes for a long refit - this (the hydraulic bonnet support) probably will be one of the items.
The hydraulic bonnet is a boon for heavy bonnet cars. I have it (company fitted) on the Superb and it is extremely convenient for single hand operations. The Superb though has a single piece unit. Do share the exact details as and when you retrofit the same on the Admiral, so that I can follow suit on the Falcon.
Old 11th October 2012, 19:26   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
The hydraulic bonnet is a boon for heavy bonnet cars. I have it (company fitted) on the Superb and it is extremely convenient for single hand operations. The Superb though has a single piece unit. Do share the exact details as and when you retrofit the same on the Admiral, so that I can follow suit on the Falcon.
Its easy ..you just have to fit and tight 4 bolts and its done , no drilling required.
Old 16th October 2012, 11:25   #1706
BHPian

I have a tyre related issue cropping which I am not sure whether to be worried about or not.

I had got a replacement (supposedly OE tyre) when the tyre was damaged in the beginning and I had paid 1/2 the price out of courtesy as the service manager was pleading for some help at that time. Now that I replaced another tyre, I discovered that the tyre which was replaced earlier and which was in Stepney was a made in USA tyre and not a made in Japan Dunlop. This was the one which they had replaced.
Spec wise the number is same but upon detailed observation I found that the width of the tyre is about one cm less than the original tyre. This is not elongation after usage as I compared it with the new made in Japan tyre so there is no doubt that the other tyre itself is less wide than the original.

One of the marking on tyre also states that the Max load allowed is 1060 kgs where as on the original it is 1120 kgs.

Should this be a cause for concern or is this ok ? is it ok if one of the tyre has smaller width than the others (even if it's as small as a centimeter) and the marking gives it lesser load capacity than the other three (by 60kgs) ?

Just thought I should ask you guys and be clear on the technical aspect of it before I send a stinker to Toyota on this as I feel it's cheating that the dealer replaces a tyre of different spec when specifically asked for original tyre replacement

Last edited by yaji : 16th October 2012 at 11:34.
Old 16th October 2012, 13:01   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should this be a cause for concern or is this ok ?
Hi Yaji,
I would not go by any visual checks regarding the size. Please check whether the replacement tyre is of the size 265/65/R17. If it is so then I wouldn't be too worried. It appears the new one is slightly lower rated in terms of load capacity - check for the speed, temprature ratings besides the tread pattern. Also do check the age/date of manufacturing of the tyre.
The visual mismatch (elongation as you put it ) could be due the age of the rubber in the tyre too.
So to state again - don't be too worried about running it if the size specs mentioned are the same, there isn't too much of a variation in the tyre properties and the tyre is a recently manufactured one (in the last 6 months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Do share the exact details as and when you retrofit the same on the Admiral, so that I can follow suit on the Falcon.
Sure dkaile - as soon as Admiral Gorshkov is handed over to the Indian Navy !

Last edited by Guderian : 16th October 2012 at 13:13.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:32   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian
Hi Yaji,
I would not go by any visual checks regarding the size. Please check whether the replacement tyre is of the size 265/65/R17.
Guderian,
The tyre is of size 265/65/R17 but even today the fortuners sold in India come with made in Japan dunlops with wider girth as compared to the made in USA tyre (which is cheaper too by about 1k) which had me wondering. I am at the service station right now for the 10k kms service and checked the tyres in other news fortuners and also asked the service guys who are not aware of my issue yet
Old 16th October 2012, 16:53   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guderian,
The tyre is of size 265/65/R17 but even today the fortuners sold in India come with made in Japan dunlops with wider girth...
Hi yaji,
I am rather flummoxed !
How can the size specs be the same and yet one tyre be of a greater girth ? Unless of course the "USA" tyre is a 'pucca' duplicate Made in China !
Old 16th October 2012, 20:45   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Hi yaji,
I am rather flummoxed !
How can the size specs be the same and yet one tyre be of a greater girth ? Unless of course the "USA" tyre is a 'pucca' duplicate Made in China !
Yes even I' am perplexed as to how can the "Made in USA" tyre be of lesser girth but its a fact and this was also given by the service center makes it all the more perplexing. I saw a similar made in USA tyre with the tyre dealer in the outside market and it was the same too.

But i also think it may be genuine "Made in USA" as the load carrying capacity has been mentioned lower and the lesser girth may be the reason for specifying lower load carrying capacity. It may be genuine made in USA as if it was China then the written matter always matches the original ..isnt that so ? I' am not aware of the methods followed to nomenclature a tyre....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks