Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 06:33   #406
BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Can other ANHC owners tell what's this slot( the one encircled) is for? Attachment 599630

The slot is only on one side and not on other so it should be not for fog lamps.

-> Mine is SMT model.
Hi Blue Volt, Yes it is the tow hook which is kept behind the plastic cover on the bumper.
But I don't get the idea why the hook is not kept in the center of the car (at least near the center).
Many other cars too have this hidden like ANHC, while others have it below the bumper partially visible.

HC
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 09:58   #407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
But I don't get the idea why the hook is not kept in the center of the car (at least near the center).
Many other cars too have this hidden like ANHC, while others have it below the bumper partially visible.
Eg. my Corsa.

I think all the cars that have visible tow-hooks have them in the sides. IIRC, cars like 800 did not have a visible tow-hook; it was tucked away somewhere on the belly. And that was in the centre.

About why it is not in the centre, really don't understand. The manufacturers might have kept it to maintain balance maybe (one-side of the engine/car might have lesser weight).
Attached Thumbnails
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-1.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 26th August 2011 at 10:01.
Old 26th August 2011, 20:52   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I don't get the idea why the hook is not kept in the center of the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
About why it is not in the centre, really don't understand.
Tow Hooks are to be attached on to a car's frame, as its the only place which can withstand tonnes of towing stress.

Most of the car's frame has an extension like in the figure. So, it can be placed either right or left, its upto the manufacturer.

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-tow-hook-location.jpg

Image Source: Google Uncle

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th August 2011 at 21:00. Reason: Adding Source
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 21:24   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Tow Hooks are to be attached on to a car's frame, as its the only place which can withstand tonnes of towing stress.

Most of the car's frame has an extension like in the figure. So, it can be placed either right or left, its upto the manufacturer.

Attachment 600074

Image Source: Google Uncle
If two hooks are attached as per the figure and then towed, then the vehicle is balanced.
But later you say EITHER left or right, in this case how will the vehicle be balanced while towing?

HC
Old 27th August 2011, 19:29   #410
Senior - BHPian

I also don't understand how the car can be balanced while towing from side towing hook. Will ask A.S.S person for this.
Old 29th August 2011, 18:17   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
in this case how will the vehicle be balanced while towing?
Quote:
I also don't understand how the car can be balanced while towing
AFAIK, the towing stress is better managed, when tow hook is connected to the longitudinal section of the chassis.

As far as weight balance is considered, at safe towing speeds, you need only negligible amounts of steering inputs, to keep the vehicle on course.
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:36   #412
Senior - BHPian

Today I put on the new body cover for the first time. It is exactly tailored to suit the car but a little different from what I got as freebie.
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-city-3.jpg
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-city-4.jpg

The antenna cover is little different and it has elastic for better grip, but still I use these binding clips that will make sure the cover remains in place to prevent damage.
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-city-2.jpg
Also a little update on mileage part - 13.8 KMPL is what the MID is showing now a days in stop and go City traffic.

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-city-1.jpg
A little lower than my expectation but considering the fact that I am riding with passengers and 100 % A/C on this figure seems OK.

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd September 2011 at 17:57.
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:37   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Today I put on the new body cover for the first time. It is exactly tailored to suit the car but a little different from what I got as freebie.
The antenna cover is little different and it has elastic for better grip, but still I use these binding clips that will make sure the cover remains in place to prevent damage.
Also a little update on mileage part - 13.8 KMPL is what the MID is showing now a days in stop and go City traffic.
A little lower than my expectation but considering the fact that I am riding with passengers and 100 % A/C on this figure seems OK.
Blue Volt,
Who is the manufacturer of the car cover, it will be printed on the plastic cover in which the cover came with.
In my case it is "Polco creations", Mumbai.
It fits snugly and has elastic support in the front and back but not at the antenna.
I too tried using the paper clip binds to keep the cover in place, but find that the clips are too hard to put on the bumper and have stopped using them.
Have to find some other easy to put on clips.
The MID on my ANHC shows 14.5 and my use is 100% city with AC on all the time, but I try to use the car as much as possible during off-peak hours.
But it is not possible always.

HC
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:45   #414
BHPian

^^ I too think the binding clips are too hard.
IMO they may damage the paint underneath where you grip them.

BV I suggest you should find some alternative for the binding clips.
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:48   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Bluevolt-Venus's "Katrina wali dress" is figure-flattering-but needs ironing.

Yes-clips on such a nice girl-tch,tch,tch!! Can't you not tie it underneath with strings?

Mileage is impressive.

Last edited by charthom : 2nd September 2011 at 20:51.
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:00   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blue Volt,
Who is the manufacturer of the car cover, it will be printed on the plastic cover in which the cover came with.
In my case it is "Polco creations", Mumbai.

Hi HC,

The manufacturer in my case is also "polco creations", Mumbai.

Quote:
I too tried using the paper clip binds to keep the cover in place, but find that the clips are too hard to put on the bumper and have stopped using them.HC
HC, you might have used the smaller ones whereas I am using the big size clips. I also faced problem with small size ones but I changed to bigger size clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
^^ I too think the binding clips are too hard.
IMO they may damage the paint underneath where you grip them.

BV I suggest you should find some alternative for the binding clips.
Hi Abhijit,

I grip the clips on the grill over the cover so that it doesn't cause any problem. I am using these clips for past one month and are the most effective IMHO.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:29   #417
BHPian

Quote:
HC, you might have used the smaller ones whereas I am using the big size clips. I also faced problem with small size ones but I changed to bigger size clips.
bluevolt, At first I used the same size clips as you have shown and because they were hard and difficult to put on, I tried a larger size thinking that would be easy. But it was also hard to press it open and clamp on the bumper grill.
Now I am looking for custom type specific need based clips and yet to find them.
charthom, I use the tie band that is provided with the cover to keep the cover on the car body, yet due to strong winds (mind you my car is parked in covered area) the front portion of the cover gets pushed up and opens up to the front wind shield.
Further opening of the cover is prevented by the 2 side mirror hold points and the cover stays in that position exposing the car to rain and dust.

HC
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:08   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Bluevolt-Venus's "Katrina wali dress" is figure-flattering-but needs ironing.
LOL , Can't iron it you know!

Quote:
Yes-clips on such a nice girl-tch,tch,tch!! Can't you not tie it underneath with strings?
Hi Charthom, HC has answered the query in below quoted post.

Quote:
charthom, I use the tie band that is provided with the cover to keep the cover on the car body, yet due to strong winds (mind you my car is parked in covered area) the front portion of the cover gets pushed up and opens up to the front wind shield.

HC
This is the reason we need to find some other alternative with addition to tie band.

PS - I guess you all guys must have seen people putting bricks over the roof top to prevent the car cover from pushing due to strong winds. That is definitely not recommended at all.
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:07   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Further opening of the cover is prevented by the 2 side mirror hold points and the cover stays in that position exposing the car to rain and dust.

HC
Mates-my beloved is exposed to the mercy of the weather right now-having no covers. The covered parking does not cover her bottom.Sigh.

Quote:
LOL , Can't iron it you know!

PS - I guess you all guys must have seen people putting bricks over the roof top to prevent the car cover from pushing due to strong winds. That is definitely not recommended at all.
How about dangling bricks or other heavy objects from the ends by a string!Will the wind be strong enough to lift them?
Old 5th September 2011, 19:32   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about dangling bricks or other heavy objects from the ends by a string!Will the wind be strong enough to lift them?
I don't think it’s a good idea as any passerby/children can use the heavy object near the car to break the windshield or any glass.

I always try to keep heavy stones/bricks and similar things away from car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks