Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 16:48   #316
BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 9000 km update"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ Rear legroom is better than the Swift which is the basis of my comparison- have not sat in a Polo. But I do hear that the wheelbase is 50mm longer so would assume the Vento is more comfy. I usually have no more than 2 adults in the back and they assure me it was wonderful.

Will take more pics after I get the plastic off (feels awkward, like posting pics of yourself in undies LOL), then you can check for yourself!
Congratulations on your new Vento. Just curious to know what made you to decide selecting AT than manual transmission. For the rear seat, the middle hump does matter when a middle person sits? I mean to ask does the mid seater complain about the hump?
Old 14th July 2011, 17:09   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi yogesh, thanks for stopping by. This thread will give you some idea of my thought process before buying the Vento.

Why do I love automatics? Hmm, let's see:
  • Drive around a lot in bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic in Hinjewadi (Pune) and the Mumbai suburbs. A smooth-shifting AT is ideal from a convenience perspective;
  • I had injured my left hamstring a couple of years ago and my knee often felt the strain. Not having to operate the clutch is a relief.
  • I drove rental automatics in the US and loved them. Also, have nice memories of driving a friend's OHC AT in Chennai (along GC Road no less!)
  • ATs exude a certain premiumness. My parents and my kid were very excited that I had "graduated" to one.
  • I already have a Swift that I use when I miss an MT!
  • Also, if you're the romantic type, having a left hand free opns up some possibilities . Please PM mdsaab for details (and refer his post earlier on in this thread!)
After I got this car, I realised that most of the strong thinking either way on MT-versus-AT is mostly bull. I switch seamlessly between the two, and each has its advantages. "ATs give low mileage" is definitely a myth. Also that you cannot get the same level of control as an MT: once you master the art of kickdown, it's a breeze...and if not, there's always tiptronic (ANHC & Civic have paddle shifts).

Interestingly, my next car is likely to be an MT. This is because:
  • It will almost certainly be in the D segment, either a sedan or SUV. Potential savings in that segment for MT ver AT are likely to be huge.
  • If I'm driving my own luxe barge, I want to have some FUN with it
  • If memsaab is using it, then we'll probably hire a Shambhu-driver on whom AT would be such a waste (yeah, I know. Am a desi!)
  • I ill already have the Vento AT in the garage, so an MT would round it off nicely.
Hope this clarifies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
For the rear seat, the middle hump does matter when a middle person sits? I mean to ask does the mid seater complain about the hump?
Unless I am dropping someone off close by, like the bus stop or railway station, I do NOT seat 3 adults in back. It would be really unfair to the guy in the middle: that transmission hump is humungous!
Usually my 5 year old sits there and is quite comfortable (she learned to use the armrest and switch on the reading lamps by herself quite early on!).
A slim, short person may conceivably not be too uncomfortable in teh rear middle seat but don't take my word for it!

Noops

Last edited by noopster : 14th July 2011 at 17:12.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 17:39   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Usually my 5 year old sits there and is quite comfortable (she learned to use the armrest and switch on the reading lamps by herself quite early on!).
Err - I am assuming your kid doesn't sit on the armrest, and you meant her using it to reach to the reading lamps only, right?

Btw the Vento looks lovely in the rain! Also I can figure out - this is the NDA area just ahead of the Pashan circle right?

And regarding your next car purchase, hope it's an MT with 4X4 drive; and hope I am there active on this thread & allowed to join you on your excursions
Old 14th July 2011, 18:49   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah, kids are smarter than you think . She figured out how to use the armrest (usually to eat biscuits/snacks off! or occasionally attempt some drawing) pretty early on. And the reading lams were completely her discovery (the missus and I never sit in the back!)

You are right about the location- do you stay nearby as well? We should meet up at the next Pune meet: we have quite an 'offline' presence as well . The 4X4 is a distant dream as of now, but inshallah will happen someday! And of course you're invited.
Old 14th July 2011, 19:19   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since Swanand let the cat out of the bag a few posts up, I thought I'd take some pictures of my daily morning walk.

I badly missed my camera, since these pics were taken on impulse and the only thing handy was my Blackberry cam!
Thats for the awesome snaps, and I am quite impressed with BB's camera
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 19:20   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Also, if you're the romantic type, having a left hand free opns up some possibilities . Please PM mdsaab for details (and refer his post earlier on in this thread)!
Noops
!! That just clobbered all the points in favour of an MT single handedly. I am trying to figure out why I never thought of that till date. I am waiting for someone to ask me advice on buying an AT and I am gonna give him this reason. Want to see the reactions that follow. Priceless Kodak moments!

ps: As an after thought I remember the pic at the beginning of this thread when you couldn't figure out the role of your left hand in all this!

Quote:
The 4X4 is a distant dream as of now, but inshallah will happen someday! And of course you're invited.
The little SRK in you speaking eh?

Last edited by drmohitg : 14th July 2011 at 19:22.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 20:37   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, kids are smarter than you think . She figured out how to use the armrest (usually to eat biscuits/snacks off! or occasionally attempt some drawing) pretty early on. And the reading lams were completely her discovery (the missus and I never sit in the back!)

You are right about the location- do you stay nearby as well? We should meet up at the next Pune meet: we have quite an 'offline' presence as well . The 4X4 is a distant dream as of now, but inshallah will happen someday! And of course you're invited.
I live at Sanghvi, was living earlier at Aundh. Yea, I keep hearing of these "Pune Meets" - my curiosity has been triggered quite a bit Waiting for the next one.

As for the 4x4 dream - even I have a similar one. But TBHP forums have modified mine a bit; I would love to buy a 2nd hand 4x4 and modify it as per my requirements (read: 4x4 with a Vento-type engine!). Well it's a WIP

And thanks for the invite!
Old 14th July 2011, 21:11   #323
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drive around a lot in bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic in Hinjewadi (Pune) and the Mumbai suburbs. A smooth-shifting AT is ideal from a convenience perspective;
Funnily enough, I thanked the AT most during a highway trip. How? After a whole day of driving, we came upon a long, long, long traffic pile up near a toll booth. Finally it took one hour to cross the toll booth. The AT simply saved me there.

Quote:
Also, if you're the romantic type, having a left hand free opns up some possibilities . Please PM mdsaab for details
Oh, the stuff I have seen in US...things people do with free hands during driving. Unfortunately cant narrate them here.
Old 14th July 2011, 22:11   #324
BHPian

@noopster-nice snaps. I could feel the wet and cool air right in my room!

Unfortunately,I am lazy to venture into the rain.Reasonably romantic-so prefer to stay indoors on a rainy day!

Regarding AT,it keeps my nerves cool in the heavy traffic, too.It has made me very generous and more disciplined,my wife has observed

Only problem is, occasionally when I drive my i10,I keep forgetting to shift gears.

@dot,congrats for crossing the 1000 post barrier.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 08:04   #325
Senior - BHPian

Some lovely snaps there Noops.
Also i can imagine the stress free nature now, when i noticed that Fraulein was parked on the side of the road, and there are no badges for anyone to flick. Kudos to you for maintaining this practical look.
Aah, so you do remember my earlier post eh? but folks this is good till you are married. once you have kids, it's a long shot being romantic in the car. But on another thought we still do hold hands once in a while.
But like Noops also pointed out, most likely our next car is going to be a MT too.
No it may not be a luxo barge D segment, i know Noops is gunning for the Passat.
but probably a humble urban hatch to be used as a town potter about.
Gosh i miss the MT many a times, and do take out the Matiz every once in a while to get that stick shift feel. Hopefully that will be further complemented with the introduction of a MT hatch in the family.
Old 15th July 2011, 08:25   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
i know Noops is gunning for the Passat.
Passat! I thought its the BMW 5-series with a reg.no of 5555
Old 15th July 2011, 08:30   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Dammit I give away way too much on T-BHP!

The 5 is my dream car but pegging it as my next car may be overambitious . Can't imagine spending on a car what you would on a home!

Passat (or Superb or a fully-loaded Accord) is something I can work towards.I have a feeling the D-segment will get even more exciting options in the next few years. Let's see.
Old 15th July 2011, 09:14   #328
BHPian

Quote:

The 5 is my dream car but pegging it as my next car may be overambitious . Can't imagine spending on a car what you would on a home!

Passat (or Superb or a fully-loaded Accord) is something I can work towards.I have a feeling the D-segment will get even more exciting options in the next few years. Let's see.
@Noopster- Can you live with the harsh ride(only read-never had a chance to sit in a B&W) of B&Ws after paying so much?

Don't like SUVs? Worth considering the soon to come Audi Q3,with a no.of 3333?Roughly same price range as the Passat/Superb/Accord.

Passat could be a better buy than both Superb and fully loaded Accord.

Last edited by charthom : 15th July 2011 at 09:17.
Old 15th July 2011, 10:53   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dammit I give away way too much on T-BHP!

Don't give up on your dreams , include the Audi in it to make it even more colourful
Old 15th July 2011, 11:26   #330
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so since I left the cat outta the bag, you've got some beautiful addition to make to the thread .

The road is the Pashan- Bavdhan road, and yes, it does look lovely in the rains. Thanks to the armed forces for maintaining some beautful gardens in an otherwise concretized Pune.

The Vento looks great in the showers. The white stands out when wet!

I would have loved to see you in your excercise clothes, walking shoes, Strawberry umbrella and a BB in hand. Man, that would have been a pic to cherish .

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 15th July 2011 at 11:27.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks