Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 15:19   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari GX 4x2 : 65,000 kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Can you share how much you paid, for these?
Never had this kind of situation with these tires. Were you able to figure out what happened?
Hi HW
I spent 7500/-each after a very hard and loooong bargain. The dealer might have got fed up with me that evening before he agreed for a Rs. 100 reduction per piece. I got only 4 new ones, and have one of the better older ones as my spare on the rear door.

And no, I haven't had the time to get that checked. But then, today morning on way to work, I deliberately tried some sudden spurts and hard braking and it behaved quite well, and I could clearly get the kat kat sounds of the ABS working - so I guess its solved. Wondering if the tyres also need run in like the engines.

I am now having the task of finding out the right service centre at Pune- intent is to do a "Check" before I proceed to Rajasthan in a few more days.

And latest - yesterday night, the Right side Low Beam light isn't working. Must have lost its life, poor thing. So, a small research pending to see if I can do a DIY for the same.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 15:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
And latest - yesterday night, the Right side Low Beam light isn't working. Must have lost its life, poor thing. So, a small research pending to see if I can do a DIY for the same.
If it is just the bulb, easy to change. Just make sure, extra sure, that the rear cover of the light assembly is locked in. You will get a locking feedback when you turn it the whole way.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 15:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Thanks for sharing the price.

If it is just the bulb, easy to change. Just make sure, extra sure, that the rear cover of the light assembly is locked in. You will get a locking feedback when you turn it the whole way.
Thanks for this tip HW. And yea, I guess its only the Bulb and I hope it is. Really itching to doing it myself this time. I rarely do such things.
Old 16th December 2014, 17:14   #109
BHPian

Quote:

I am now having the task of finding out the right service centre at Pune- intent is to do a "Check" before I proceed to Rajasthan in a few more days.
You could try Concorde Motors, Baner. I get mine serviced there and am pretty satisfied.
Earlier in Delhi I used to dread taking it to the Service centre there.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 08:01   #110
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ajit. I am staying on the exact opposite side of town, near NIBM. If there is something this part of Pune, i'll check those out. Else , i'll probably fix time with Concorde, wait there and pick up my car in a few hours. That's a better option I guess.
Old 17th December 2014, 09:30   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ajit. I am staying on the exact opposite side of town, near NIBM. If there is something this part of Pune, i'll check those out. Else , i'll probably fix time with Concorde, wait there and pick up my car in a few hours. That's a better option I guess.
For you, I guess National @ Hadapsar could be an option. If you need some feedback about them, PM member ebonho, who takes his Storme there for servicing.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 18:43   #112
Senior - BHPian

Ive spoken to National @ Hadapsar and fixed time for the coming Tuesday for a check up.

Quick update - I did a day trip to Shirdi and ShaniSingnapur yesterday. The roads 7-8 KM's after the "SmileStone" Dhaba on the Pune Nagar road, the by-pass to the Nagar city continues to be in really bad shape and this time around, I have come back with the age old problem of noise from the tail - the glasses, the door everything seems to be giving out a good noise.

Not just that, on the return, 50 KM's shy of Pune, I suddenly got the "Hand Brake" lights ON. I stopped the car, put on the hand brake, took off the hand brake and the light was still there. I switched off the ignition and restarted, hoping it will go away, but it doesn't. I took out my car 3-4 times for some sundry errands at home today and the Hand Brake lights continue to Stay ON all the time. So, just this one issue to report during my check up.
Old 23rd December 2014, 16:49   #113
Senior - BHPian

Here's the update post my visit to National Auto Wheels, Pune.

First up - thanks to Ebonho for guiding me to the place and giving me the names of people who can help there.

Besides the three issues that I went with (1) Hand Brake sign always being ON (2) Rattles behind (3) The front low beam bulb - I had asked them to do a thorough check of the car, what with a very long drive to Rajasthan coming up in 3 days time.

Following were done @ 65410 KM's .
1. 12 V Lamp fixed
2. Fog Lamp Bulb fitted
3. Engine oil topped up
4. Brake fluid ( apparently, there was a minor leak at the front right wheel side)
5. Tie Rod LH and RH ( one of them was so worn out, the mechanic said I might have had a brake failure. :( )
6. Coolant
7. Lamp ( the one near the rear Number plate )
8. Distilled Water
9. Rear Wiper Blade
10. Engine Flushing - Bardhal
11. Front wheel alignment ( since the tie rods were changed )
12. A/C gas re-filling
13. Idler arm braket/bush setting and greasing

The rattles were checked too and a few bolts tightened and a few areas were greased.

I must confess that the National guys did a Fabulous job. Really happy with my truck when I took it out of their service centre. Was running like a song. The rattles were long gone.

And, this car, after 4 years ( yes, it will hit 4 years in just a few more days ) also, doesn't fail to give one big and broad smile when you are on the wheels.

Love it !.

More updates ( and certainly a travelogue ) after my Rajasthan vacation.
jkrishnakj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 21:16   #114
BHPian

I think I had the problem once of hand brake light staying on - and it was found out to be because of very low brake fluid. You seem to have had the leak issue too.

Looks like it is a sign to check the brake fluid level. :-)
Old 2nd May 2015, 18:21   #115
Senior - BHPian

All

Time for updates - perhaps the last one on my Safari on this thread.

As a family ( 2 families infact ) , we had an awesome time driving to RAjasthan and back. The car, as always performed exceptionally well, and the 3500 + KM journey back and forth was done with hardly any stress of troubles, and none of us were tired after long journeys. It included two kids less than 10 years. That was the last drive for my safari for the year 2014, we came back on the 31st December 2014.

There were two more long trips that i did - both day trips, Pune-Shirdi-Pune trips and as always, despite these being day trips, i didnt feel anything remotely related to "tiredness" at all.

25th Jan - hapenned to be my last day at Pune, and i was coming back to Bangalore for good. The Pune-Bangalore drive, all through the night, was something that i absolutely enjoyed. I just had myself for company thru this 950 + KM. Ofcourse, Kishore and his magnetic voice was just perfect thru the night. With hardly any traffic, and i just cruising the Safari, i can tell you it was bliss.

I cant explain how beautiful it was at those breaks on the highways, looking at the skies and seeing millions of stars. Teriffic moments those, and My Safari, the roads, and myself - wow !.

Feb saw my safari take me to Coimbatore twice and to Munnar once, with family. Again, trouble free. Lovely drives. The hills at Munnar were swallowed with ease.

Always enjoyed the power, the way it accelerates, the comfort in overtaking etc..etc..

Now, dont ask me why - i deliberated much and was always thinking that i will drive this for 2 more years, i had put new tires as well for my car. But, being the impulsive me, when i found an offer that was irrestible, I SOLD my Safari. It was all last week, and the whole process didnt even last beyond 2 hours.

Now, when i had to see the back of my Safari with someone else driving away, it did get me emotional a bit.

So, 72000 + KM's on my GX - not one moment of regret , this being my SECOND safari, i wonder if i will ever be able to drive any thing else.

Adieu my Black Elephant - will miss you.

Mods : Please close this thread tomorrow. I just need to update 2-3 more pictures of my Safari just before i gave away. Thanks.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 19:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, being the impulsive me, when i found an offer that was irrestible, I SOLD my Safari. It was all last week, and the whole process didnt even last beyond 2 hours.
What was the offer you got?
Old 3rd May 2015, 14:23   #117
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari GX 4x2 Update : Sold at 72,000 KMs

5.40 L is what i could get.

Now, its a debate - good or ugly offer. For all the research i did on the Safari, all i can say is that its a black box, and to de-mystify the second hand market for the Safari is tough.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 20:58   #118
BHPian

Jk

Excellent price considering what was on offer. It indeed was an excellent offer. Not worth the vehicle's fun factor but times catch up and it's better to change.

I still own a GX myself and still loving it and living it. the roads you took via Kundah to Coimbatore are bad of late. Would recommend the kotagiri route definitely.

Mode note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th June 2015 at 17:53.
varunrdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 00:19   #119
BHPian

Awesome thread, and a fitting tribute to the one car that touches your heart - the Safari. Hope the new owner treats her well and gives her a good retired life.

Can't agree with you more on the feelings of a long night drive with the Safari and Kishore!

Maintained well, she is a workhorse for 2 lakh kilometers without major issues IMO.

I am in the same boat as you are, and considering selling mine off too. The price you got is a very good one for the GX.

Quote:
All

Time for updates - perhaps the last one on my Safari on this thread.

Mods : Please close this thread tomorrow. I just need to update 2-3 more pictures of my Safari just before i gave away. Thanks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd June 2015 at 15:11. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:00   #120
BHPian

jkrishnakj
I guess, its a decent price. I had this dilemma of selling or not, finally decided not to do until I see AT variant of ARIA or STORME.

So, whats next in stores for you ?

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks