Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 17:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Tata Safari GX 4x2 : 65,000 kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Jkrish,

So much has happened so soon with your beast. Quite an experience. I'm sure its worth it all. As an ex owner of safari, you are very sure it will only add smiles as you cross more miles. Congratulations !

The two tone looks very upmarket. But the thing with safari is, it will look good in any shade thrown by the TATA.How is your driving experience in your new Gx compared to your ride with Ex. Any change in the feel ?
It certainly is a fantastic experience. I am thoroughly enjoying owning this beast. Compared to the EX, i certainly feel that the handling is a lot better now, the brakes are certainly good. I feel that the EX was much more noisy. The EX used to return a mileage of about 9.5-10.00, whereas i get easily 12 + with this. Ofcourse, not to mention the improved looks in the current version - the Blue Dials, the dual tone exteriors, the wood finish panels, the indicator lights on the external view mirrors etc..

Starting 2nd April the family had a very nice trip down to the temple city in Tamilnadu. The drive of about 1300+ KM's was incident free, pleasant and cool. The beast performed very well indeed.

We could easily navigate the different state highways, the bad roads near Karur, the roads near musiri etc..We also had no issues at all in the smaller roads at the villages around Kumbakonam during our temples visit.

The handling was super smooth, i didnt have too much of noise coming into the cabin. There were a few times where the ABS came to play, thanks to some really bad patches of road coming up suddenly , and i had to brake really hard.

It returned a mileage of 12.4 KM's, with 100% A/C on throughout.

Day 1 : Bangalore - Coimbatore ( rest for a day at parents house)
Day 2 : Coimbatore - Palladam - Karur - Kangeyam - Trichy - Kumbakonam
Day 3&4 : Temples around Kumbakonam
Day 4 : Kumbakonam - Thingaloor - Kallanai - Trichy - Musiri - Namakkal - Salem - Bangalore
Departed from Kumbakonam at 4.00 PM and after a brief halt at Namakkal for the darshan of Anjaneya, we reached Bangalore at 11.55 PM.

I am now convinced that the lights of the beast is insufficient. I had to considerably slow down on the highways due to the poor lighting. I think i need to upgrade the lamps. Any inputs will be most welcome.

The temperatures at Tamilnadu was so hot that we needed the A/C to be on at level 3 for most times during the day.

After the lamps, the other immediate thing i need to do is the Sun Film. I would go for the 3M ones. If someone has recently done this, please do help with your inputs.
On day 3, very briefly, I had the "Fuel Pump Pressure Low" warning lamp coming on and off ( for about 15 seconds or so). I was worried a bit, but then, it disappeared soon enough.

The beast has now finished 5227 KM's in the past 3 months. Its time for the second service and i am off to Concorde tomorrow for this.

I am still trying to come to terms in managing a black car - its increasingly difficult to maintain this and it pains to see the car full of dust in no time.

More updates after the second service.
jkrishnakj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2011, 19:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Lighting options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I am now convinced that the lights of the beast is insufficient. I had to considerably slow down on the highways due to the poor lighting. I think i need to upgrade the lamps. Any inputs will be most welcome..
I prefer adding aux lights - Light Force if you can, or Hella Rallye 700FF / 500FF.

1. Will provide you with 4 bulbs (2 stock + 2 aux). Lot of back-up even if one fails. Both are really good, and give much better lighting (esp the combination of 4 lamps) than when using the upgraded stock alone.

2. Stock lights can be used in city, without affecting other users.

Second option is to upgrade stock from 55/60 to 90/100. But I have found this to be in-sufficient. But if you do upgrade the stock lamps, then remember to go for ceramic holders.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2011, 19:30   #33
BHPian

Nice trip and log. It is really good that safari serves you well. Wish you have much more miles in it without any hassle.
Quote:
Day 2 : Coimbatore - Palladam - Karur - Kangeyam - Trichy - Kumbakonam
I suppose the day 2 route should be Coimbatore - Palladam - Kangeyam -Karur - Trichy - Kumbakonam.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2011, 22:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I prefer adding aux lights
Second option is to upgrade stock from 55/60 to 90/100. But if you do upgrade the stock lamps, then remember to go for ceramic holders.
Thanks Condor. Shall certainly explore these two options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
I suppose the day 2 route should be Coimbatore - Palladam - Kangeyam -Karur - Trichy - Kumbakonam.
You are right Bulzire..i made a mistake. Thanks for pointing out.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2011, 23:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Got my vehicle serviced back on the 12th. I went to drop the beast for service. Started the car in the morning and found that the " engine oil fuel pump pressure low" lamp flickering. Got me worried and reported this at the time of service. This went off within a couple of minutes, but it sure caused some concern.

Concorde addressed this, kept it with them overnight and reported that they didnt see this light on.

I was told that some Rats were causing havoc. i have a parking place in the open and i do have reasons to believe that Rats are there. This ensured that two bulbs were blown off and the reverse sensor not working. Concorde fixed that as well.

Now, i still havent figured out a way to resolve the issue with the Rats.

And yes before i finish this post, i was dismayed to see the cups that come on the alloys missing on the 11th morning, all 4 of them. Thanfully, concorde had stock and got them back again.

I am planning to get the 3M film fixed, its getting too hot in Bangalore these days.

One week after the second service and i have no issues at all. Its running pretty smooth. Quite happy.
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Had to take the beast for a run. Thanks for the good friday and easter holidays, i decided to visit my parents at Coimbatore yesterday. Had a very smooth drive. Home ( JP Nagar ) to Home ( Ganapathy - CBE ) was 5 hours and 10 minutes, a drive of 588 KM's one way.

Took the JP Nagar - Electronic city - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Avanashi - Annur route.

The 4 laning upto 10 km's before Avanashi isnt completed yet.

Paid a visit to Palani today. Enjoyed the SH, the nice curvy and twisty ones. The roads were packed with so many vehicles from Kerala moving towards Palani and this temple town was packed today.

I would be in Coimbatore for two more days. If anyone here knows a good place where i can get the 3M sun film fixed, i would be happy to hear that. I just am not able to get time to get this done at Bangalore, thanks to work.

One more question ; How do i "edit" the header of the post - i want to add an update that " second service complete". Any pointers here will help. Thanks.
Old 22nd April 2011, 23:01   #37
BHPian

^^ Good that you got an immediate plan to get out of Bangalore for this long weekend. I planned, planned and planned to be in Bangalore itself

Btw, how could you cover 588 KM's one way in 5 hours and 10 mins ? Am I missing something ?

Prem.
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Oops.. Prem, thanks for pointing out. Its 388 KM's. Typo.
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Nice trip and log. It is really good that safari serves you well. Wish you have much more miles in it without any hassle.

If you are driving via Salem, ping me. You can check out how 90/100 Philips Rally is. I have tried out Bosch 90/100 too but found Philips to be better.

Quote:
Had to take the beast for a run. Thanks for the good friday and easter holidays, i decided to visit my parents at Coimbatore yesterday. Had a very smooth drive. Home ( JP Nagar ) to Home ( Ganapathy - CBE ) was 5 hours and 10 minutes, a drive of 588 KM's one way.

Took the JP Nagar - Electronic city - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Avanashi - Annur route.

The 4 laning upto 10 km's before Avanashi isnt completed yet.

Paid a visit to Palani today. Enjoyed the SH, the nice curvy and twisty ones. The roads were packed with so many vehicles from Kerala moving towards Palani and this temple town was packed today.

I would be in Coimbatore for two more days. If anyone here knows a good place where i can get the 3M sun film fixed, i would be happy to hear that. I just am not able to get time to get this done at Bangalore, thanks to work.

One more question ; How do i "edit" the header of the post - i want to add an update that " second service complete". Any pointers here will help. Thanks.
Use "Report" button or ping a mod.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 08:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The temperatures at Tamilnadu was so hot that we needed the A/C to be on at level 3 for most times during the day.
Is cooling a default problem with Black Safaris? Since last one month, I had a tough time keeping by blacky cool in bangalore summer. Many a times I had to move to level 3 just to keep ourself barely comfortable. My Alto AC was more effective and could start giving chill in 15 minutes.

Quote:
I am still trying to come to terms in managing a black car - its increasingly difficult to maintain this and it pains to see the car full of dust in no time.
Jopasu duster is the way to go. There are times when I clean my Safari in the evening and the next morning I still see a thin layer of dust on it even though its a covered car parking of the apartment.
I don't remember cleaning my white Alto more than 5 times in the last 5 years when I owned it. It was done by the cleaner. But with the Black Safari, I have to do the cleaning job myself to avoid getting swirls. Just cant rely on the cloth used by the cleaner.

One more question for everyone.. Especially for you, JK as you own the Safari for the second time.. What can Replace a Safari???

I have a friend who bought his first Safari 4 years back. Now 6 months back, he had to buy another car and we went for a Safari again. No other car would satisfy him. As I think of my next car four years down the line, I cant see many VFM options. Sorry, I might appear hijacking your thread. But it would be interesting to get a perspective from Safari owners on "What can replace a Safari??"
recker_us is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 09:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Is cooling a default problem with Black Safaris? Since last one month, I had a tough time keeping by blacky cool in bangalore summer. Many a times I had to move to level 3 just to keep ourself barely comfortable. My Alto AC was more effective and could start giving chill in 15 minutes.

Jopasu duster is the way to go. There are times when I clean my Safari in the evening and the next morning I still see a thin layer of dust on it even though its a covered car parking of the apartment.
I don't remember cleaning my white Alto more than 5 times in the last 5 years when I owned it. It was done by the cleaner. But with the Black Safari, I have to do the cleaning job myself to avoid getting swirls. Just cant rely on the cloth used by the cleaner.

Dust is easily visible in darker shades, hence no matter how much you clean even if a small wind with dust blows it'll be visible on colours like Black. Regarding AC, the Alto is a small car with a powerful AC and there is no doubting that Alto indeed cools the cabin in no Time, the Safari has a much bigger area to cool, your best bet is to go for a double AC like some people on the forum have done to their Innova's or even maybe Safari's.
Old 24th April 2011, 09:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Regarding AC, the Alto is a small car with a powerful AC and there is no doubting that Alto indeed cools the cabin in no Time, the Safari has a much bigger area to cool, your best bet is to go for a double AC like some people on the forum have done to their Innova's or even maybe Safari's.
Double AC.. what is that? An after-market fitment?
Old 24th April 2011, 10:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Double AC.. what is that? An after-market fitment?
It's the second row of blowers, comes in the Safari too I guess in the top end varients, don't know if it runs on a second compressor, but I assum so.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
If you are driving via Salem, ping me. You can check out how 90/100 Philips Rally is. I have tried out Bosch 90/100 too but found Philips to be better.

Use "Report" button or ping a mod.
Thanks so much JK. I was about to write to you on a PM asking for a good time, when my wife came up with an idea to return to Bangalore via Ooty.. Do i now have a choice ? So, i leave tomorrow morning to Ooty, spend the day there and return back to Bangalore later tomorrow night.
I shall certainly ping you next time.

Quote:
One more question for everyone.. Especially for you, JK as you own the Safari for the second time.. What can Replace a Safari???
I have a friend who bought his first Safari 4 years back. Now 6 months back, he had to buy another car and we went for a Safari again. No other car would satisfy him. As I think of my next car four years down the line, I cant see many VFM options. Sorry, I might appear hijacking your thread. But it would be interesting to get a perspective from Safari owners on "What can replace a Safari??"
The Jopasu duster is what i still need to buy. Its pending for some time now.

Having owned a safari earlier and with a look out for another car, i just couldnt think of anything other than the Safari. My wife for one swears by this car. My son has a huge crush on the Safari.

Personally, for me, if i had a little more money, i would have gone for a Pajero ( i can see a few people smiling here.. ). I still drool on the Pajero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
It's the second row of blowers, comes in the Safari too I guess in the top end varients, don't know if it runs on a second compressor, but I assum so.
The second row comes in the Safari ( EX and above versions ). No -it doesnt run on a second compressor.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, you can park your Alto inside the Safari and cool it too while Safari is cursing at 100 kmph

Merlin !
Check Suman's dilemma thread.

Quote:
Thanks so much JK. I was about to write to you on a PM asking for a good time, when my wife came up with an idea to return to Bangalore via Ooty.. Do i now have a choice ? So, i leave tomorrow morning to Ooty, spend the day there and return back to Bangalore later tomorrow night.
I shall certainly ping you next time.

The second row comes in the Safari ( EX and above versions ). No -it doesnt run on a second compressor.
Have replied. Upgrade will be worth from my experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks