Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 20:30   #121
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

But the best driver's car this side of 20 L for me has to be the Ford iKon by a long way (amongst the cars I have driven extensively)
I guess you mean the 1.6 ROCAM variant. I had the 1.3, it was quite a hoot too. The key point was not just the engine, but the handling. Thats why I had to struggle to find the right successor of the 1.3 Ikon.

However the ease with which the Civic redlines leaves me with a question, are there any car better than this (sorry @smartcat, these are adapted from your words) ? Yeah there is some body roll, but the vtec wail..oh man..

Last edited by dot : 7th May 2011 at 20:32.
Old 8th May 2011, 01:52   #122
Senior - BHPian

@dot
seriously even when we visited the BMW showroom, i wasn't in awe of the 3 series. and your wife is absolutely right about the rear space. and after reading about long term reliability issues with german cars, i am not too comfortable about owning one.
After the civic, choosing another car to upgrade too is really going to be tough. Car God please help us.
Old 8th May 2011, 08:15   #123
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
After the civic, choosing another car to upgrade too is really going to be tough. Car God please help us.

@mdsaab, I am pretty certain that "car god" will be pretty upset if he/she gets to know that we are even contemplating for Civic's replacement already. Your Chicca is just 3 years and Scorponok is 4 years old. They are still babies. As @Ace says, this is gonna stay for a very long time.

As you requested, posting a picture of the corona effect. The pics are not of any quality. Hope later shots capture it better.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-30042011436.jpg

Last week changed all the stock tyres to Michelin Primacy LC. Total damage 22.7 including alignment. Here are some picture after the fitments was completed and wheel alignment going on.
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-30042011445.jpg
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-30042011448.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-30042011449.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-30042011446.jpg
The older set of stock tyres. It was really time to replace them, Bye, bye.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-30042011444.jpg

The Alloy wheel cap.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-30042011443.jpg

Alloy wheel cap's reverse side. My first impression, "Wow, it is made from Noryl Classico, PS+PPE, the product I used to work on in my previous job". Then I realized that this is a Jap car's part, so most likely the plastic has come from Asahi not my ex-employer.

The tyre change over has been marked with far less cabin noise. Grip and comfort levels have also increased, bounciness has come down. Good show.
Old 8th May 2011, 11:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
e exhaust tip replaced. I think I saw one such part at Galaxy, a car accessory shop in Cochin.
The Honda OEM cost is 4900 for the pair.

I've been looking at some "aftermarket" parts and while they're cheap the difference in fit and quality is just blindingly obvious. So I've decided to go for the Honda OEM parts - maybe as a 1st birthday gift to BQ. Wife wants me to get a spoiler as well, so I have to juggle costs. By the way I won't be getting the Honda-spec spoiler. It's just too expensive at 20+ k.

Truth be told, both Ace's and your accounts of modding your respective Civics are beginning to push me over the edge. Vitamin M is holding me back, though.

And yeah, your Chinese friend is right. Still, while I subject my camera for instance to a fair bit of abuse, I find that difficult to do with my car.

Quote:
The tyre change over has been marked with far less cabin noise. Grip and comfort levels have also increased, bounciness has come down. Good show.
Does a tyre change have impact on the bounciness too? I thought that was primarily to do with air pressure. Are you referring to ride quality in general?

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th May 2011, 12:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

And now that the Tyre change has been posted.
Let me post my impression after driving Scorponok for a few kms after the change.
The ride is definately a lot quieter and the bounciness has reduced to some extent.
cannot comment on grip levels as we were in traffic. The Michelins are a good choice to those upgrading or changing their tires.
@dot the pic of the corona ring has not come well, you need to take the shot from a lower angle.
It really looks rad and unique, so click a few more pics when possible.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:01   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
civic is also a good car but the power is all on the higher side of the rev band. Given a choice -the vRS it is.

But the best driver's car this side of 20 L for me has to be the Ford iKon by a long way (amongst the cars I have driven extensively)
haha... yep, I will agree with iKon's FTD factor but the engine sounds harsh at higher RPMs and thats a turn off for me!

Quote:
the ease with which the Civic redlines leaves me with a question, are there any car better than this
Quote:
After the civic, choosing another car to upgrade too is really going to be tough.
Precisely, Civic redlines so nicely and the engine note above 5500 RPM is to die for!

Better car than Civic (as a future upgrade)? Hmmm, the only car I can think of (with which I have extensive experience and I hope it will be launched in India), will be BMW 335i. Gotta love those Twin Turbo Beemers!

Long way to go before I start earning that much to be able to afford one!

Quote:
after reading about long term reliability issues with german cars, i am not too comfortable about owning one.
mdsaab, I think I am quoting your sayings here, but parallel to my understanding with reliability, I do understand something called 'passion'! Beemers may not be as reliable as Japs, but they offer a truck loads of fun when it comes to driving! Despite their reliability issues, I would certainly want to own one someday!

Think of them as a high class mistress! She may be high on demanding respect and care, but having her around, and poking her with a stick once in a while will certainly make you feel good, ain't it?

Quote:
As Ace says, this is gonna stay for a very long time.
Bang on! Civic will be in my garage for a while!

Quote:
Last week changed all the stock tyres to Michelin Primacy LC. Total damage 22.7 including alignment.
Good work picking up Michelin PLC! They are indeed good rubber! Did you choose stock tyre size or did you upgrade to 205 cross section? Only 4 tyres, not the spare wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
The Honda OEM cost is 4900 for the pair.

Wife wants me to get a spoiler as well, so I have to juggle costs. By the way I won't be getting the Honda-spec spoiler. It's just too expensive at 20+ k.
True, Honda OEM parts are expensive! If the aftermarket exhaust tips are not good quality wise, it makes sense to go with OEM ones only! By any chance, can you arrange a used exhaust tip from a totalled car or in the market? That will be cheaper I guess!

About the spoiler, you certainly have choices. OEM, Ducktail or Mugen Type R spoiler. Take your pick.

My spoiler is OEM replica made of ABS and isn't as steeply priced as OEM. I got it for INR 5000 + INR 1000 for paint and fitting. Do you have any accessory shop that can arrange it for you? There should be a few in Kolkata.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 19:07   #127
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Good work picking up Michelin PLC! They are indeed good rubber! Did you choose stock tyre size or did you upgrade to 205 cross section? Only 4 tyres, not the spare wheel?
Quote:
Does a tyre change have impact on the bounciness too? I thought that was primarily to do with air pressure. Are you referring to ride quality in general?
I went for the 195 spec tyres, didnt upgrade to greater width. Wanted to keep the stock specs intact. Actually thats best for acceleration.

Michelin claims that comfort levels increase. We (@mdsaab, me and wife) both felt that is the case since bounciness has decreased to an extent. Tyre pressure of all the four are kept at 32psi at cold conditions.

Yeah, went for only four Michelins (thats very sharp of you Ace) and kept the spare wheel on the older Goodyear since one tyre was in pretty good shape. It will be the permanent spare.

Quote:
iKon's
engine sounds harsh at higher RPMs and thats a turn off for me!
You know, could not agree with you more. As mentioned before, I could never redline the Ikon. The NVH becomes too much by the time RPM hits 5000. Thats about all I ever went. Moreover on the Ikon, the redline was also not marked on the tachometer!

Quote:
Truth be told, both Ace's and your accounts of modding your respective Civics are beginning to push me over the edge. Vitamin M is holding me back, though.
Take the plunge my friend. Simple things dont cost much!! However keep the Vitamin M hot button with family. The hot button tends to run out of control.

Quote:
@dot the pic of the corona ring has not come well, you need to take the shot from a lower angle.
It really looks rad and unique, so click a few more pics when possible.
Agreed, the previous photos were rather poor. Here are some more attempts. They are marginally better, IMHO. Need your camera, these attempts are testing the X6's capabilities.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-08052011462.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-08052011464.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-08052011466.jpg
Old 8th May 2011, 20:10   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Precisely, Civic redlines so nicely and the engine note above 5500 RPM is to die for!
It's just wonderfully addictive.

Anyway, it'll be difficult to find an upgrade to the Civic that improves both the fun and practicality factors, in addition to being so inexpensive (relatively) to run and maintain. We just have to resign ourselves to this fact and tend to our babies for as long as possible. That's my take on this issue.

Quote:
By any chance, can you arrange a used exhaust tip from a totalled car or in the market? That will be cheaper I guess!
I already tried that route. The day my Civic arrived in the dealer's stockyard I was there to do my own PDI. A few totalled ANHCs caught my eye. Apparently that truck also had a couple of Civics in it. So when I lost the tips on the second day I immediately contacted the salesman and asked him if I could get the tips off those damaged Civics (either for free or for some sum). He said it won't be possible as Honda won't be able to claim insurance otherwise. I said tip loss could be chalked down to accident damage as well . But it didn't work despite some effort. He instead offered me the tips of the test mule but I declined that offer. No point in ripping parts off a functioning car. That's just not done.

Quote:
My spoiler is OEM replica made of ABS and isn't as steeply priced as OEM. I got it for INR 5000 + INR 1000 for paint and fitting. Do you have any accessory shop that can arrange it for you? There should be a few in Kolkata.
The place where I got my tints done (I'm in Hyderabad by the way) said he had the same spoiler that Honda uses and was quoting 4-5k for it. I didn't explore it further at the time (window tints had set me back by 11k already and I was in damage control mode).

Quote:
Take the plunge my friend. Simple things dont cost much!! However keep the Vitamin M hot button with family. The hot button tends to run out of control.
I'm actually more interested in getting some safety-related upgrades first - notably better tyres and headlights. Let's see. Thanks for the encouragement, mate!

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 22:18   #129
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He instead offered me the tips of the test mule but I declined that offer. No point in ripping parts off a functioning car. That's just not done.
How nice of you.

Quote:
I'm actually more interested in getting some safety-related upgrades first - notably better tyres and headlights.
Would keenly look out for the mod updates on the BQ thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Right, they look so amazing.
Now I have made my mind to go ahead with this instead of Projectors.
Now something for @sushrutha, mdsaab and Ace. Perhaps you have seen this already.

Old 8th May 2011, 23:34   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went for the 195 spec tyres, didnt upgrade to greater width. Wanted to keep the stock specs intact. Actually thats best for acceleration.

Michelin claims that comfort levels increase. We (@mdsaab, me and wife) both felt that is the case since bounciness has decreased to an extent. Tyre pressure of all the four are kept at 32psi at cold conditions.

Yeah, went for only four Michelins (thats very sharp of you Ace) and kept the spare wheel on the older Goodyear since one tyre was in pretty good shape. It will be the permanent spare.
Good to hear that! Actually, in 205 width, Michelin PLC has a tendency to bulge out a little which looks a tad weird! 195 is looking just fine to my eyes!

I rotate all 5 tyres in forward cross, therefore keeping the spare in the rotation circle as well.

Quote:
No point in ripping parts off a functioning car. That's just not done.
Good work on your part! I am not sure how many would not have declined that offer!

Quote:
The place where I got my tints done (I'm in Hyderabad by the way) said he had the same spoiler that Honda uses and was quoting 4-5k for it.
for my mistake. I was reading Shuvc's thread at the same time! Check with him again on the quality of the spoiler and you can take the plunge accordingly! 5K sounds like a good price to me!

Quote:
Now something for @sushrutha, mdsaab and Ace.
I have seen the CCFL lights in real and they do look impressive (in white)! Good to see so many of you are smitten by them! Waiting for the results on your part.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:39   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@Guderian, Didnt understand why only left side of your neighbor's car got hit repeatedly. Maybe the driver (your friend) is misjudging the width, or subconsciously protecting his side of the car
Hi dot, With your kind indulgence I am posting a few snaps of the Civic in the neighbouring parking bay - just to show folks what I mentioned yesterday about the right side frame of the car very intact and the left side - suprisingly rather battered !

The Praying Mantis ( as I call it !):
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-dsc07437.jpg

The intact and neat right side:
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-dsc07438.jpg

The battered left side:
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-dsc07441.jpg

The dents on dents !
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-dsc07442.jpg

One of the big ones:
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-dsc07443.jpg

Hmmm.....!
Old 8th May 2011, 23:43   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
haha... yep, I will agree with iKon's FTD factor but the engine sounds harsh at higher RPMs and thats a turn off for me!
Though I am not sure if I agree with the comparison of an age old Ikon engine with a higher bhp and cc Civic engine, I am happy to hear that you are happy with the Civic. Have fun.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:44   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
I am posting a few snaps of the Civic in the neighbouring parking bay
Boy, the passenger side running board has been hit quite badly, compared to driver side! Though I am yet to understand what kind of situation could make only one side so susceptible to damage! Looks like driver's negligence to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Though I am not sure if I agree with the comparison of an age old Ikon engine with a higher bhp and cc Civic engine, I am happy to hear that you are happy with the Civic. Have fun.
Hey sammyboy, it is not about BHP or cc figure, just a general observation I had about Ford iKon's engine! Low cc engines can be rev happy too, right? But I feel iKon's engine is not, and thats why one tends to avoid redlining her often! At least thats what I observed in a otherwise good FTD car, the josh machine!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 8th May 2011 at 23:50.
Old 9th May 2011, 09:32   #134
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

I am posting a few snaps of the Civic in the neighbouring parking bay - just to show folks what I mentioned yesterday about the right side frame of the car very intact and the left side - suprisingly rather battered !

The Praying Mantis ( as I call it !):
Quote:
Boy, the passenger side running board has been hit quite badly, compared to driver side! Though I am yet to understand what kind of situation could make only one side so susceptible to damage! Looks like driver's negligence to me!
@Guderian, As @Ace has said, it is weird to see only the passenger side rocker panel damaged. If you notice the frame below the damaged rocker panel from the pictures, that does not seem to have any serious dents. I feel that the driver is misjudging the width and hitting kerbs during parallel parking or in petrol bunks.

Case of Tai Lung driving the Praying Mantis.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:55   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better car than Civic (as a future upgrade)? Hmmm, the only car I can think of (with which I have extensive experience and I hope it will be launched in India), will be BMW 335i. Gotta love those Twin Turbo Beemers!

mdsaab, I think I am quoting your sayings here, but parallel to my understanding with reliability, I do understand something called 'passion'! Beemers may not be as reliable as Japs, but they offer a truck loads of fun when it comes to driving! Despite their reliability issues, I would certainly want to own one someday!

Think of them as a high class mistress! She may be high on demanding respect and care, but having her around, and poking her with a stick once in a while will certainly make you feel good, ain't it?
Leaving the engine and handling out. When we visited the BMW showroom was not too impressed by the 3. Agree i want something which is going to be a hoot to drive. But at the same time, i want it to be comfortable for the family as well. and that's where i felt the 3 was lacking, especially as far as rear seat space is concerned. Hmm, YES replacing the civic is going to be tougher than i ever thought. I always lusted after the 3 especially when the CE was launched. But things have changed since then.

Passion, Yes i firmly believe in passion. But the thing with this purchase is it's going to be the primary car. So i can't take a chance with it, it should not break down in the middle of nowhere, or have certain things malfunctioning. I guess if i wasn't married and didn't have a child, then yeah i would not think about these things much. But now i need something which is involving and fun to drive, as well as super reliable. and the Civic sums that up pretty well.

Or on the other hand, if it were my second car then yes would love to have a high class mistress. and i wouldn't think too much about other factors, just go out and have a blast behind the wheel. I am quite a sedate driver though, and i don't think i have even explored the civic's chassis and engine to the limit. But with something like the 3 to pilot, just maybe things will change.

Quote:
Agreed, the previous photos were rather poor. Here are some more attempts. They are marginally better, IMHO. Need your camera, these attempts are testing the X6's capabilities.
Shall click a few when we meet next.

Quote:
It's just wonderfully addictive.

Anyway, it'll be difficult to find an upgrade to the Civic that improves both the fun and practicality factors, in addition to being so inexpensive (relatively) to run and maintain. We just have to resign ourselves to this fact and tend to our babies for as long as possible. That's my take on this issue.

I'm actually more interested in getting some safety-related upgrades first - notably better tyres and headlights. Let's see. Thanks for the encouragement, mate!
You are spot on, the civic is extremely pocket friendly to maintain. Another factor to make the upgrade tougher.
You have your priorities right, get the safety upgrades first.

Quote:
Now something for @sushrutha, mdsaab and Ace. Perhaps you have seen this already.
WHY WHY WHY! WHY @dot. your youtube video on the CFL is making life tough. It looks gorgeous. can't wait to get my hands on a pair.

@guderian please check that the neighbor has a valid driver's license. That's really unlucky, seems to be scraping the left while parking or turning in somewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks