Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:51   #16
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Haha not done my friend. You should be using the paddles to put the car into 2nd at 55kmph and into 3rd at 105kmph.
S mode gives me two options. (1) S = stingy and (2) S = sports. Right now I am utilizing option 1, since Civic is master and I am currently, only the driver. In a few days time hopefully the situation will reverse and option 2 will be exercised. Moreover Pune city roads are hardly safe for option 2. For that we need to utilize the great highways that this state has to offer.

Apart for the smart alec answer, I agree that the paddle shifts are very versatile.

One question though, will Civic MT acceleration figure match with AT if S mode in utilized in full blast?
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
One question though, will Civic MT acceleration figure match with AT if S mode in utilized in full blast?
I think the MT is quicker, even if the AT is used in S. Even a few of my friends who had driven/own an AT agreed.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:42   #18
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the MT is quicker, even if the AT is used in S. Even a few of my friends who had driven/own an AT agreed.
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess even with paddle shifter the autobox will upshift at a lower rpm than what a driver would have done in a manual. So AT will be slightly slower. Is this correct?
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess even with paddle shifter the autobox will upshift at a lower rpm than what a driver would have done in a manual. So AT will be slightly slower. Is this correct?
In S mode with paddles, it will not upshift until you ask it to. However it will downshift without asking to avoid stalling. The difference with MT may be more to do with the response time of the actual shift.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:28   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It wont upshift any earlier, but will stay at the redline. Also a manual driver could possible shift faster than this since its not a DSG. And since its a torque converter it does take away some more power from the engine than a manual. Also the A/T gearing is a bit taller, which could also lead to slightly slower times.
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:49   #21
BHPian

Apologise for sidetracking the topic a bit, I have got the 1 Re Honda Assure package for my Civic VAT and my car will be delivered next week.

I just got a call today from the dealer asking me if I wanted the depreciation shield (basically no depreciation will be charged while making claims) at 7k extra per annum. Is it worth the excess amount?
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:57   #22
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The difference with MT may be more to do with the response time of the actual shift.
In manual there is a human element in terms of time needed to engage the clutch and shift gears by hand, the paddle shifts seems to be instantaneous. However, some cars allow up-shifting at appropriately high rpm without engaging clutch. Dont know how good is that for the life of the tranny.

Quote:
Also the A/T gearing is a bit taller, which could also lead to slightly slower times.
This could be one reason, different gear ratios for manual and automatic.

From magazines it looks like 0-100kmph time for Civic MT stock is around 10 sec. The same for AT is 12 sec. Not sure which mode was used, D or S. I feel that using S mode this number maybe closer to 10 rather than 12. Will do some research on net and post if something relevant comes up.

Anyway thanks to both of you for engaging in this interesting discussion.
Old 5th December 2010, 17:40   #23
dot
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I had a very rewarding day at Deccan Honda Service Station. Spent the whole day there and came back very confident about the Civic. Morning I had asked the rep to check the car, without oil and filter change as Mahindra has already done it. Further the apparent AC leak also had to be investigated. He showed me the entire service history of the car. I knew on my previous enquiry during purchase time that it had missed a service in 2009. That information was pricking me now and then. Now I know the reason. During the second service in mid 2008 synthetic oil had been administered. From that time to March 10 the car had run only 10k. Should be ok. Some minor issues reported by previous owner had also been taken care off. After this I felt like I have known Civic right from the first day.

Morning started with trial runs with a technician that proved reassuring when he said that the car is running perfect. Then around lunch time the car went up on the jack. I had a very good look at the underbody. No visible dents or corrosion. They did a tyre rotation and showed me the front brake pads which needs to be replaced. I promptly obliged. I saw a glass polishing facility. For a long time I observed what they do. Looked like they were doing a thorough job so asked them to clean up all the glasses of Civic. I was finding it difficult to drive at night due to excessive reflection of headlights on the windshield. Took them more than an hour to complete it. By that time I noticed one Accord was undergoing electronic diagnostic check. They let me sit on the back seat and observe. The software hooked up on to car ECU and ran several checks on the electronic components. Was impressed. Requested them to run it on my car. They obliged. The diagnostics on my Civic ran great without any red flags. They gave me a print out also. Finally they told me that they could not find any fault with AC but had cleaned up the AC filter.

The owners lounge was great. When I was not standing around my car, I spent the time in the lounge. Nice sofas, air conditioned and a LCD TV running on Tata Sky. They also provided free sandwiches, chips and tea.

Finally after car wash I was ready to go home. Time was 7 p.m. I had spend about seven happy hours discussing various aspects of the Civic with so many folks at Honda. Will return in a months time for the 3M coating job which could not be done due to lack of time. I was also longing to go home, not even had lunch. The experience at Deccan Honda was great. A day well spent.

Some pics. Some of them were taken from the lounge, so the glass reflection spoils the photo. The evening picture is when the Civic is waiting for a wash.
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-04122010204.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-04122010206.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-04122010208.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-04122010209.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-04122010211.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-04122010212.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-04122010215.jpg

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-04122010217.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekmohan83 View Post
Apologise for sidetracking the topic a bit, I have got the 1 Re Honda Assure package for my Civic VAT and my car will be delivered next week.

I just got a call today from the dealer asking me if I wanted the depreciation shield (basically no depreciation will be charged while making claims) at 7k extra per annum. Is it worth the excess amount?
Sorry for the delayed reply. I am assuming that the shield is for one year. In that case it may not be worth it. If the shield lasts for several years, one can think of it. But next year you do have to pay full insurance, isnt it? Hope this is useful for you.
Old 5th December 2010, 18:57   #24
BHPian

Congratulations!

Hi,

I went through the whole thread and i must say it was a really good read especially since this was from someone who was talking about a pre-worshipped car in pune. Being from pune myself, i always have my doubts with regards to pre-owned cars mainly due to the umpteen wheeler dealers abounding at each and every corner. I think its always better to buy from the known bigger pre-owned cardealers like Mahindra first choice, Hyundai advantage and Maruti true value rather than the roadside guys. The roadside may sound cheaper in some cases but you will never get the peace of mind that you have presently.
A cousin of mine had a very poor experience (it was his first car - a 2000 1.3 ikon) while buying from one of the famous car dealers on solapur road! (BTW he has hence gone thru another Ikon, a Baleno and now owns a Civic!) and hence my apprehension towards used cars.
Its really good to note that you got a real good deal for your Civic, with the detailed service history and back up from Deccan Honda. The Civic is one of the best looking cars on road to-date even after 4 yrs in the market and with only a minor facelift earlier this year.
Wish you many many happy miles in your Civic! Hope to see MH34 N0069 on the road soon!
Old 6th December 2010, 10:02   #25
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Hi,

I went through the whole thread and i must say it was a really good read especially since this was from someone who was talking about a pre-worshipped car in pune. Being from pune myself, i always have my doubts with regards to pre-owned cars mainly due to the umpteen wheeler dealers abounding at each and every corner. I think its always better to buy from the known bigger pre-owned cardealers like Mahindra first choice, Hyundai advantage and Maruti true value rather than the roadside guys. The roadside may sound cheaper in some cases but you will never get the peace of mind that you have presently.
A cousin of mine had a very poor experience (it was his first car - a 2000 1.3 ikon) while buying from one of the famous car dealers on solapur road! (BTW he has hence gone thru another Ikon, a Baleno and now owns a Civic!) and hence my apprehension towards used cars.
Its really good to note that you got a real good deal for your Civic, with the detailed service history and back up from Deccan Honda. The Civic is one of the best looking cars on road to-date even after 4 yrs in the market and with only a minor facelift earlier this year.
Wish you many many happy miles in your Civic! Hope to see MH34 N0069 on the road soon!
Thank you very much. Certainly hoping that the car gives a good service down the road.
Also fully agree on the facts about the dubious used car dealers that you have pointed out. That's the reason I also had serious apprehension about purchasing a used vehicle. However with bigger players trying to tap this market with a sense of credibility, things are improving a little bit. Moreover a premium cars like Honda or Toyota are expected to be bullet proof, furthermore one can get history of the car easily. Finally with TBHP's encouragement and data, I could muster up courage to purchase my Civic.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The software hooked up on to car ECU and ran several checks on the electronic components. Was impressed. Requested them to run it on my car. They obliged. The diagnostics on my Civic ran great without any red flags. They gave me a print out also. Finally they told me that they could not find any fault with AC but had cleaned up the AC filter.
Wow, thats 7 hours well spent.
How much did Honda charge you for this exercise?

Thanks
Old 7th December 2010, 10:17   #27
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
How much did Honda charge you for this exercise?

Thanks
Honda charged around 1k for the service. 3.5k for the window polish (front and back windshield, all four windows and quarter glasses) and ~5k for the brake pads.

The window polish has really done wonders as I am able to drive at night without any issues; unlike the first few days when we were squinting continuously over the oncoming headlights.
Old 18th December 2010, 18:13   #28
dot
Senior - BHPian

1 month experience: My new "preworshipped" Honda Civic

It is going to be one month since my association started with the Civic. So some thoughts and experience around it.

Suspension
Since so much has been said and written about the poor quality of Civic's suspension, I thought to begin with this topic.
I am yet to experience the first bottom scraping.
We have driven through all our usual routes; office; entertainment; meat shop; weekend ones. In fact deliberate ones on unusual roads. Many roads offer all sorts of potholes, speed breakers of different heights, width, length. Still. No luck so far. I hit the breakers at 10-15-20kmph with lot of expectation and drive over, wondering when will it happen?

Fact of the matter is two folds. My family consists of our four year old son, wife and me. We are not very tall or fat. So overall weight in the car is not more than 140Kg. Probably thats why our Civic is not bottoming. Second reason is Pune roads. They are much better than many other cities. Like Bangalore. I have driven over the infamous Neelamangala mountain bumps last June on my Ikon. The car was loaded with four adults and lots of luggage, since we are traveling back to Pune on GQ. They did scrap the Ikon's underbelly. Pretty sure those types will surely kiss Civic's underbelly too.

Mileage

Another sore point of the Civic. A economy car in US is a fuel guzzler here. I am getting around 10 km/l in Pune. Planning to change the tires to Michelin Primacy next month since the car is still on stock tires. That might increase things. But not worried. In fact it is great. I signed up for this.

Performance

Here is the best part. Need to overtake the lumbering dump truck whose driver thinks that he is driving in F1? No problem. one flick on the - paddle shift and a inch of push on the accelerator pedal and the issue is over. A lazy look at the tachometer shows that the needle is dying down from 4k. It does not even register when this car touches 3k, 4k, 5k. The pedal is floor mounted which means that I can literally plant all of my foot on the pedal, from heel to toe. This results in comfort and control.

A subtle form of performance is road presence. The effect of the car without the need of horsepower. So many occasions have come where I have been given way or the auto or two wheeler guy just stopped for me to pass. That is one luxury that one can do with on our roads.

Paddle shifts are just brilliant. The response is instantaneous from the car. I am driving in S mode only.

Steering response is nice. It is not over assisted or too hard. Feedback is present during cornering. During parking it is assisted enough to take the narrowest of turns. This also helps during parallel parking. This car did not come with parking sensors. I am not planning to install any.

Comfort
Vanity alert.
Easily the best looking car in the office parking lot. I am deliberately parking next to boss's car and his bosses' car. It is like the Indigo CS ad.

Inside the car, one is surrounded by feeling of elevation. The cockpit effect, switches, lighting all combine to give a very nice driving effect. Road noise is mostly filtered off. Stock ICE is just ok. It lacks bass and depth. Planning to change next month. But the HU stays. It is the centerpiece of the console. I love the dull white back-lit effect on the switches at night. Reminds me of the old gen Accord. The seats are properly sculpted with foams having the right amount of tautness. Planning to change from fabric to leather sometime, since the fabric is wearing out in some areas.

So far so good.

Last edited by dot : 18th December 2010 at 18:15.
Old 20th December 2010, 13:55   #29
BHPian

Re: 1 month experience: My new "preworshipped" Honda Civic

Quote:
Mileage
Another sore point of the Civic.
On the contrary I can get upto 17 kmpl max and 15 kmpl regularly on my AT on highways.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:58   #30
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1 month experience: My new "preworshipped" Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
On the contrary I can get upto 17 kmpl max and 15 kmpl regularly on my AT on highways.
manim, I read your posts extensively before my purchase. They have been extremely encouraging for me. I am planning to adopt some of the practices you have recommended. In fact, I already have.

What I meant in my post was the general assumptions of my friend circle. I heard the fuel guzzler tag from quite a few people. For some folks anything less than 15km/l is scary. In the same vein, for owners of Landcruiser anything more than 4km/l is extraordinary I guess. Individual perceptions are very hard to change. My personal take is different. I feel Civic gives back what you ask her to do. Drive her hard and returns will be like that. Drive her easy and wallet will be happier.

I am very happy with my Civic. The 10km/l figure from my car is 100% city driving, sometimes bumper to bumper, sometimes free roads of 0.5km ranges. We are yet to take the car to any highway. I am hoping that the tall 5th gear will come into play and give a larger return. Will post that figure once I get it! Did we buy the Civic to save on fuel bills? No. For that there are other options like Fiesta or Vento or others (those are great options by the way). Did we buy the Civic to enjoy? Oh yes.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks