Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 22:43   #256
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
After you upgrade the sub you will find after sometime that the bass is too much, and then you will want to upgrade the speakers too. But since you would have bought only a 2 channel amp you will have to buy another one.

What I suggest is that you get a powerful 4 channel amp
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I am toying with that idea too. The thing is, in my previous car (Ikon) I had 6*9s running on a 2 channel amp with front 4inch comps on the HU. Amp gain had to be kept at minumum to have a balanced music. I had vowed to never keep only one set of speakers on amp. Either front and back speakers, both on amp or none.

As a family we dont like loud music. The sub is expected to add some character to the music which is missing now.

I can buy a 5 channel amp. But then how do I get 3 RCA preouts from the line out converter?

Edit: The usual fall out of such idea development is you start for a pond and end up with three gorges dam.

Last edited by dot : 19th July 2011 at 22:44.
Old 19th July 2011, 22:55   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I am toying with that idea too. The thing is, in my previous car (Ikon) I had 6*9s running on a 2 channel amp with front 4inch comps on the HU. Amp gain had to be kept at minumum to have a balanced music. I had vowed to never keep only one set of speakers on amp. Either front and back speakers, both on amp or none.

As a family we dont like loud music. The sub is expected to add some character to the music which is missing now.
4" compos are really quite soft, can't blame you for finding it unbalanced.

Heres another suggestion. Going by the kind of sub you are looking at, I think just upgrading the speakers will give you that much bass. And going by your previous post, I think you should just buy a 4 channel amp and upgrade all 4 speakers. Even 4 speakers can give out a fair amount of bass believe me.
Old 19th July 2011, 23:15   #258
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heres another suggestion. Going by the kind of sub you are looking at, I think just upgrading the speakers will give you that much bass. And going by your previous post, I think you should just buy a 4 channel amp and upgrade all 4 speakers. Even 4 speakers can give out a fair amount of bass believe me.
Any suggestions on which make of speakers one can think of, for better bass?
Old 19th July 2011, 23:18   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any suggestions on which make of speakers one can think of, for better bass?
Its a personal choice. I'm an Alpine person. For me they have enough bass, and the treble doesn't hit (dunno how else to describe it) your ears. Its a bit laid back, but I like the sound.

Depending on what you are ready to spend, maybe some of us here can give you advice. But please no Sony/Pioneer.
Old 20th July 2011, 10:30   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you should just buy a 4 channel amp and upgrade all 4 speakers. Even 4 speakers can give out a fair amount of bass believe me.
A friend had JBL speakers with a 4 channel amp and the bass is good enough. I myself have been using JBL setup for over 3.5 years and nothing has gne wrong ever..Just wish for another 2 channel amp to support bass tube seperately. Rightnow, speakers (front/rear) and bass tube is on one JBL 4 channel amp. And I am not able to configure front and rear speakers individually..

I too wont recommend sony/pioneer, they are rather pathetic. However, you can also look at polk, I heard them in an accord and loved them, but the system was quiet huge and complex..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 20th July 2011 at 10:34.
Old 20th July 2011, 10:39   #261
Senior - BHPian

I had made a mental note to keep my left knee bent when i drove Chicca home for the first time from the dealership. and that habit has kind of stayed on. I do use the dead pedal on highway trips every now and then, but in City traffic you would catch me with my left knee bent.
Though the habit is slowly reducing, it's still very much there.
Have been caught off guard once in a while too, reaching for that gear lever to shift. Only realizing that hey saab you are not in the Matiz, this is the Civic remember.
Ofcourse the wonderful digital display does make it hard to not feel you are in the Civic, but even though. it has happened.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:53   #262
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depending on what you are ready to spend, maybe some of us here can give you advice. But please no Sony/Pioneer.
Sure, please! And yes, no Sony and Pioneers, absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Just wish for another 2 channel amp to support bass tube seperately. Rightnow, speakers (front/rear) and bass tube is on one JBL 4 channel amp. And I am not able to configure front and rear speakers individually..
My current plan is the following,
Phase 1.
Use a one pair RCA line out converter from rear speakers lines and use them as inputs to a 2 channel bridged amp powering a sub. The amp has a pass through RCA output, which will be used to power the rear speakers using a RCA to high level converter after selecting the low pass filter on the amp.

Phase 2.
Use another one pair RCA line out converter from front speakers line and use the pass through RCA outputs from the existing sub amp as inputs for a four channel amp. This four channel amp powers front components and rear coaxials. The make of the speakers has to be determined by sound quality. I prefer warm sound, not bright. I had a discussion with Navin and B&T long time back. I was thinking of Morels then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I had made a mental note to keep my left knee bent
Mdsaab, I vaguely remember about this discussion on another thread!! But since you have mentioned, let me tell about my habit, which is using the dead pedal extensively.

Last edited by dot : 20th July 2011 at 13:57.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:58   #263
Senior - BHPian

@Dot and @Mdsaab: Why dont you guys keep your left leg folded below the right thigh while driving your AT's? That would avoid any impulsive action .

On a more serious note, Dotty, have you finalised the speakers? Have a look at the JBL range also. Pretty neat. Are you going in for a ICE overhaul, or just changing the speakers?
Old 20th July 2011, 14:13   #264
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Dot and @Mdsaab: Why dont you guys keep your left leg folded below the right thigh while driving your AT's? That would avoid any impulsive action .
I think I have mentioned this elsewhere, once I drove from Boston to Oklahoma City and back, total 3600 miles. Many times I would sit cross legged. The car was on cruise control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Dotty, have you finalised the speakers? Have a look at the JBL range also. Pretty neat. Are you going in for a ICE overhaul, or just changing the speakers?
Have a look at the previous post on Phase 1 and Phase 2 plans and let me know your thoughts. I think it will be safe to say that will be an ICE overhaul, when it happens that is.
Old 20th July 2011, 16:29   #265
Senior - BHPian

Arrey Boss, then i would end up looking like a rickshawalla!
If we would have to go to such extent just for the AT convenience then i would be much more happier with my stick shift as some folks call it.
but that said, i am getting used to the dead pedal more now. and it's sort of a mix. but that's more on the highway like i said before.
Will try it out in the City (i mean urban conditions, not The CITY) and let you know of my progress.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 20:05   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, remember, that the choice between the now Scorponok, and a Black Civic VMT, kind of rested on your comment many many moons back! If your plan is still on, it is possible that a BQ + Scorponok photoshoot might still happen.
Haha, thanks dot! If you look at the shape BQ has been in these past 4-odd days you'll thank your stars you didn't get a black car. I haven't been able to wash BQ because of the dratted viral fever. Maybe later tonight...

Scorpo and BQ can meet. I have now decided to completely bypass Pune by taking the Baramati - Jejuri - Sasvad - Kapurhole - Katraj - MPEW route after crossing Solapur and Indapur. This will be on Independence Day 2011. Do you think we can drive together for a bit or something? I'll PM you my number and we could be in contact.

Quote:
Some Sunday Hand dirtying (aka HG style)
Another dottily comprehensive DIY guide as ever.

Once again, this is something I wanted to do for a long time (have been looking at the HonData stuff for a few months now) but haven't really gotten around to tinkering under the hood to find out the ECU part number. In my defense, I've been thinking there must be a non-intrusive way of finding it out.

Quote:
So the line from rear speakers will be taken to a line out converter. From there to a two channel amp which will power a small sub. The rear speakers will still be operational by a pass-through from the amp. I am thinking of Rockford Fosgate Prime 150 2 channel amp. Sub can be a 1000w, which can be decided later. Need your suggestions.
I'm no ICE expert but I did have an extensive set up in my old M800 and have realized a few things.

One is, like the others are saying there, to just start with good components all around and see if it fits your needs. In fact even the shop where I got all this done advised me the same but I thought I knew better. Not that I regretted it. It's just meant that I spent a few bucks more on a sub that I probably could've done without.

The second thing is to buy an amp that allows for fine-grained control over the speakers. I used a JBL CS60.2 (2-ch) in that setup. I sold the 800 but I still have this amp with me, currently lying around unused. I used this amp to power all 4 speakers and the sub. Not ideal. It would've been better to get a 4-ch amp or deploy 2 amps (one 1-ch dedicated to the sub).

At the end of the day, I was Ok with what I did. I got that sub (a Sony) for dirt cheap and could've done without it, using the 2-ch amp properly across the 4 speakers.

More importantly, I spent a little bit on *good* quality housings for the speakers. In fact even before I got in the extra speakers and amp and sub, I just checked how the rear speakers (a pair of 6x9s in my case) sounded with these better quality enclosures than the skinny, skimpy ones M.A.S.S. put them in initially. There was a world of difference already! I think you already have this bit covered with the extra sound-deadening material you got to line Scorpo's doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
but that said, i am getting used to the dead pedal more now. and it's sort of a mix. but that's more on the highway like i said before.
Will try it out in the City (i mean urban conditions, not The CITY) and let you know of my progress.
Coming from the said 800 and Dad's Indigo to the Civic, I never found myself comfortable using the dead pedal initially. The first time I used it "properly" was during the ice cream run to Bengaluru and back in mid-Oct. '10 (some 2.5 months after buying the car). I've never not used the dead pedal since then, even inside the city and even in horrible peak bumper-to-bumper traffic (mine's an M/T).

You'll get used to it, I'm sure.

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st July 2011, 09:53   #267
Senior - BHPian

Yep i agree with most posters,
from what i have read on the forum
good components are what make a great difference.
Start with them, and work your way up the chain to acoustic bliss.
Old 21st July 2011, 14:02   #268
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
In my defense, I've been thinking there must be a non-intrusive way of finding it out.
Actually there is a way to open the ECU plastic shroud without taking out the battery. I realized this after the operation.
The ECU shroud is clipped to the bottom of the metallic housing by two clips on either side. One you can reach with fingers easily. The other clip is blocked by the battery. If someone has slender fingers, then the second clip might be reachable. Once the clips are unhooked, the shroud can be pulled out like a baby.

Anyways the exercise was futile as Flashpro does not support our ECUs. What a letdown.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:55   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
twins (or triplets) separated by VIN number and connected by NH4!!!
I know... this was pointed towards me .
Anyways my Concorde has got Blazer projector fogs fitted last week.
They are amazing.
This weekend I'll be fitting the Mini Morimotos Projectors.
Shall post the pics once I install.
Old 23rd July 2011, 00:03   #270
dot
Senior - BHPian

Recently we bought a used Santro for my cousin from Mahindra First Choice, Pune. Along with us, my uncle was also there to inspected the car at the showroom. He checked for the factory liner seals on door edges, bonnet and trunk lid edges. He said that if the liner seals are not broken, it shows that the car never had a major accident. Even the SA admitted this.

I had no idea of the seal funda. Naturally I checked Scorpo's doors and bonnet, trunk lids. The rubbery seal liners were intact. Not that there was a doubt since I knew the service history.

What I understood later if the lid or door is changed as a result of accident the factory liner seals will not be present in the replacement part. How true is this? Any ideas/experience from anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
my Concorde has got Blazer projector fogs fitted last week.
They are amazing.
This weekend I'll be fitting the Mini Morimotos Projectors.
Shall post the pics once I install.
Will eagerly look forward for your experience on the Morimoto Project.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks