Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 22:19   #151
BHPian

Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

@dot

just saw your tire changeover post.

the rear wheels alighnment was also done ?
Cause in my case two independent tire shops told me it is not done on Civic.

and can you describe the TQ converter noise in detail?
as in does it happen at particular rpm?
does it happen when car is pushed hard ?

Last edited by jatinpatel : 10th May 2011 at 22:20.
Old 10th May 2011, 22:19   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Even @mdsaab's AT does not have any noise. However two seperate HASS fellows on two different occasions have confirmed the noise and said that it is pretty normal. What else to do?
Want an advice! Get it checked up with a competent independent mechanic and take his word! Seriously, so many times I have seen these authorized service station fellows trying to cut corners with reported issues!

Quote:
Wonder what @Guderian will say if he notices this.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 22:39   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
I would strongly recommend you use the Honda Idemitsu 0w-30 syn oil for your shark.
She will pay you back in all the good terms.
And if you redline her soo often then its better to switch to synthetic oil ASAP.

I do agree on the oil temprature ratings.
But seeing the way the R18 is built to close tolerances and the way it redlines I will prefer sticking to company recommendations.
I agree with jatinpatel. I hankered the SA to get me Mobil1 of the recommended rating during my BQ's 3rd FS (10k kms). He explained that Idemitsu is better and to trust his word on it, saying I can go for Mobil1 if I still wanted to. He also offered to put Mobil1 in the car if I wasn't happy with Idemitsu. I must say that in the ~5k kms since that service I've never had a problem with engine smoothness or redlining.

@dot: Looking at your description of the noise (audible in basements etc.), it seems very similar to a noise I've been hearing of late - say over the past two months or so. I usually, but not always, hear it when I turn the key from OFF to ON position. It's a loud groan which lasts less than a second. The loudness has increased over time. Every once in a while I also hear it when the engine is running, although it's a little less loud. Maybe it appears less loud because of ambient noise.

I'm not sure of this but if I remember correctly, I think I also heard it when I turned the steering wheel (engaging the hydraulic PS) when parked.

So I don't know if it's specific to AT only.

@jatinpatel: Civic's rear wheels have ever so slight camber. I guess that may be why some alignment centres are unwilling to touch them. Just a guess. It's very easy to mess with the camber and then not get it right again at all.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 10th May 2011 at 22:45.
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 09:35   #154
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the rear wheels alighnment was also done ?
Cause in my case two independent tire shops told me it is not done on Civic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
@jatinpatel: Civic's rear wheels have ever so slight camber. I guess that may be why some alignment centres are unwilling to touch them. Just a guess. It's very easy to mess with the camber and then not get it right again at all.
As I understood they performed the alignment on all the four tyres. I suppose the tags attached to all the four tyres (as seen on that photo) are for that purpose.

Quote:
and can you describe the TQ converter noise in detail?
as in does it happen at particular rpm?
does it happen when car is pushed hard ?
Lastnight I had a Dory moment around this.

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-dory.jpg

Just now I went round and round in the basement trying to pick up the sound, much to the amazement of the guard.

Previously there was a faint gurgling grrr grr sound. It used to come when tranny would be slotted to R, D or S; even when the car was stationary by applying brakes, the sound would show up. As soon as speed goes over 20 this sound would disappear.

Now, it seems to have gone to a very large extent!! It is there, but very faint.
Mdsaab, where are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Want an advice! Get it checked up with a competent independent mechanic and take his word! Seriously, so many times I have seen these authorized service station fellows trying to cut corners with reported issues!
Sure will.

Quote:

it seems very similar to a noise I've been hearing of late - say over the past two months or so. I usually, but not always, hear it when I turn the key from OFF to ON position. It's a loud groan which lasts less than a second. The loudness has increased over time. Every once in a while I also hear it when the engine is running, although it's a little less loud. Maybe it appears less loud because of ambient noise.
I think I recognize this sound. If my guess is right, it is coming from the heater actuator. @Mdsaab just got his replaced sometime back. It comes in Scorponok also, sometimes. A minor issue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2291563
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 09:43   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder what @Guderian will say if he notices this.
Zzzzzz...Huh ? What ? Where ?
Did someone ask for me ?
Old ladies are perfect ? Huh ? Where ?
Zzzzz...
Old 11th May 2011, 10:29   #156
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Sorry was a little busy lately what with some friend's in town.
My BHP time was severely reduced.
@dot i did a thorough check of my alloy yesterday, and it looks a lot like the picture you posted. So here's what i request you to do, Click one more photo and this time with the flash on. We should meet up soon and click some snaps of the beauties together. @ACE we made a few plans but they haven't materialized yet. Car Gods willing we shall do a shoot soon. There was a very interesting one to be done this weekend, but it seems my plans for the same have been cancelled .

@dot on my user CP whether this thread comes up last or first, it's the first one i click open, don't worry my replies may not reach other threads, but i say with guarantee my replies shall be posted here. Also a little heads up, on the thread for the new BHP android app, a screenshot has your username on it, check it out.

Also to clarify the heater actuator was fixed and not replaced, But that awful someone passing air sound / mobile vibrating sound was fixed by them fellows at the A.S.S by tinkering around with the heater actuator. If you are taking it to Honda Pimpri then Das will fix this for you, as he did the same on Chicca.

I had driven @dot's Scorponok to help find the source of this problem and it absolutely puzzled me too. It crops up at low engine speeds and stays on till around 22kmph and then vanishes. I am just shooting in the dark here, but could it be from the front part of the silencer?

Scorponok's visit to the SPA is coming up, and @dot seems all set with what has to be done. Please confirm the cost for motor care, as i paid on;y 400 or 450 odd, and some have reported price has gone up substantially.

Edit : Congratulations on crossing 600, man you just flew by this time.

Last edited by mdsaab : 11th May 2011 at 10:45. Reason: congratulations @dot
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 11:12   #157
BHPian

@mdsaab

if its from the front silencer it should come at all speeds dont you think?

I would suggest to replace the AT oil and observe.

is the motor car really required?
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 12:50   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I recognize this sound. If my guess is right, it is coming from the heater actuator. @Mdsaab just got his replaced sometime back. It comes in Scorponok also, sometimes. A minor issue.
Thanks for pointing that post out, dot! I remembered everything else from that post except this bit on the sound . I'll get this checked during the 4th service which is due now.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 13:28   #159
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest to replace the AT oil and observe.
Thanks! Thats what I am planning to do and hope for the sound to go away.

Quote:
is the motor car really required?
Yes, motor cars are really required..

@Jatin, dont mind. Thanks to a certain General, some of us here are nowadays engaged in a silly game where we are trying to find humor where none exists.

Quote:
is the motor care really required?
Not really. If we take the pleasure of opening the engine bay every fortnight or so and clean the parts, it is certainly not required.

However they do a nice cleaning job and the bay looks good after the clean up. Thats all.

Moreover, as many folks have noticed, the program probably leaves an oily coating which can attract dust later onwards.

Last edited by dot : 11th May 2011 at 13:31.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:38   #160
dot
Senior - BHPian

Short update.

After changing tyres to Michelins last week, wanted to know how much FE has been affected. Did a FE test today (tankful to tankful, same pump/bunk, same dispenser).

Before change over, FE was 9.5. This had become the summer value. Winter value was 10-10.7. These are all within Pune driving.

After tyre change FE is back to 10. Dont know how consistent this number will be. Will keep a watch.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:59   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before change over, FE was 9.5. This had become the summer value. Winter value was 10-10.7. These are all within Pune driving.
I'm assuming the difference between summer and winter values was purely due to AC being off in the winter.

What was the mileage you got on the last tankful with your old tyres? Was it closer to 9.5 or 10? I'm just wondering if you've just become more efficient with your right foot over the past year . Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the improvement (hoping it's consistent) is due to the tyre change instead.

On a side note, I find it difficult to drive without the AC on even in winter. It's because of all the noise and dust outside that I drive with windows rolled up, and at some point that means the AC has to be switched on.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th May 2011, 14:33   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm assuming the difference between summer and winter values was purely due to AC being off in the winter.
Plus the fact that Michelin PLC have less rolling resistance compared to the old Good Year NCT5 dot had on his car!

Watch these if you are interested!

Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 17:17   #163
dot
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @Ace for posting the Michelin ads. Indeed, there is a significant reduction of road noise compared to the NCT5s.

Quote:
Thats right. Till March I was getting 10.2-10.7. But this was also when I had not "discovered" the first gear!!

Quote:
What was the mileage you got on the last tankful with your old tyres? Was it closer to 9.5 or 10?

Quote:
I'm just wondering if you've just become more efficient with your right foot over the past year
On the contrary, after discovering the first gear, the right foot is out of control. Add summer to that and FE became 9.5

Quote:
On a side note, I find it difficult to drive without the AC on even in winter. It's because of all the noise and dust outside that I drive with windows rolled up, and at some point that means the AC has to be switched on.
True.

On a side note, I find that Scorponok cools off very quickly, even when kept parked under the sun these days. Probably has to do with the lighter color and CR70.

Last edited by dot : 12th May 2011 at 17:18.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:33   #164
Senior - BHPian

As you read this our friend @dot is probably arriving at undisclosed location G2.
Now what @dot does not know is that the saab has already set up base here since yesterday.
So if all goes as planned, Chicca & Scorp shall meet.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Drive safe!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 07:51   #165
dot
Senior - BHPian

I must say that @mdsaab has given one of the most pleasureable surprise I have got in recent times.
After 8 hours of driving I got a phone call that blew me away and then a most familiar face at the portico.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks