Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 23:22   #136
BHPian

Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

@dot
have you switched to synthetic Honda oil?

from your pics your alloys have been painted.but nice color matching done by the previous owner though.Same with my civc too, the alloys had been painted by the previous owner.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 00:19   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
from your pics your alloys have been painted.but nice color matching done by the previous owner though.Same with my civc too, the alloys had been painted by the previous owner.
How did you make it out? (was it the 1st pic with little colorful flair)

As far as I understand it, Civic's alloys are machine finished, they possess two distinct sections, one is shiny (the outer ring and the centre line in the spokes) and other (rest of the wheel) is dull!

Will re-painting be able to retain the same patterns intact!!!
Old 10th May 2011, 00:26   #138
BHPian

No it was the same shade of silver throughout the alloy.

Yes civic alloys are machine finished the outer shinny section and lip of alloy are the two most vulnerable area for scracthes and dings and hence they get painted once too many dings and scratches are there they get painted.

the machine finish cannot be retained if painted over.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:30   #139
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, I had no clue. Thats very sharp of you. Thanks, will take your word for it.

@mdsaab, next time we meet, we should compare the shades of Chica's alloys and Scorponok's. Interesting, interesting!

Quote:
have you switched to synthetic Honda oil?
Will do at 40k service which should be in June, hopefully. Couple of more items to be done during 40k service- Throttle body cleaning and AT oil change.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:27   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No it was the same shade of silver throughout the alloy.

Yes civic alloys are machine finished the outer shinny section and lip of alloy are the two most vulnerable area for scracthes and dings and hence they get painted once too many dings and scratches are there they get painted.

the machine finish cannot be retained if painted over.
I am still not sure if the alloys have one shade of silver throughout or it is the camera angle that is playing its part here! Let us dot confirm this, kudos to your eagle eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@mdsaab, next time we meet, we should compare the shades of Chica's alloys and Scorponok's. Interesting, interesting!
Hey, why have we not seen the pics of Chica and Scorponok playing together yet! Let the snaps roll in, will you two!

Quote:
Will do at 40k service which should be in June, hopefully. Couple of more items to be done during 40k service- Throttle body cleaning and AT oil change.
All three changes you mentioned will bring some significant changes in your driving pleasure, I bet! Redlining with paddle shifts will be nothing short of heavenly!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 20:32   #141
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Hey, why have we not seen the pics of Chica and Scorponok playing together yet! Let the snaps roll in, will you two!
YES, there are some plans. Coming soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

All three changes you mentioned will bring some significant changes in your driving pleasure, I bet! Redlining with paddle shifts will be nothing short of heavenly!
Thats what I truly hope for. As you may know, Scoponok has a slightly audible torque converter noise. I am hoping that it will reduce with the lube oil changes.
Old 10th May 2011, 20:49   #142
BHPian

@dot
please go in for synthetic 0w30 honda oil on your 40k service
trust me you wont regret the money spent.

did the changover from Mobil1 syn to Honda Syn yesterday and difference is outstanding little vibrations are gone engine is pin drop silent till 2.2k rpms and it redlines much easier and with much more comfort.

Did a full tank too will observe the mileage i get and report back the difference.

P.S- Mobil1 syn of 5w-50 and 0w-40 are completely wrong grades for civic Please never ever use them. I did the mistake of using the 5w-50 grade and engine had become sulgish and FTD factor of civic was decreased. Also low mileage of 6kmpl!! that to with saint city traffic driving. and highway was 9.5 with saint driving.

Do the following things for the 40k service atleast i did them and could see a big improvement in the cars driving.
1. TB cleaning.
2.Air filter change.
3.Switch to synthetic oil after using the engine flush treatment, along with Oil filter change.
4.AT oil change.
5.General check.
6.Interior cleaning if required ( dont do it from honda as they are stupidly expensive, in my case i did myself with 3M interior cleaning foam and armour all dashboard protect, and results are great)

Last edited by jatinpatel : 10th May 2011 at 20:57.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:13   #143
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mobil1 syn of 5w-50 and 0w-40 are completely wrong grades for civic Please never ever use them. I did the mistake of using the 5w-50 grade and engine had become sulgish and FTD factor of civic was decreased. Also low mileage of 6kmpl!! that to with saint city traffic driving. and highway was 9.5 with saint driving.
Yes I remember you saying that a grinding noise coming from engine after changing to 5w-50. But I didn't know FE was 6 in city. That really sucks. Hope now it becomes better. How come the oil changes FE so much?

Quote:

@dot
please go in for synthetic 0w30 honda oil on your 40k service
trust me you wont regret the money spent.

did the changover from Mobil1 syn to Honda Syn yesterday and difference is outstanding little vibrations are gone engine is pin drop silent till 2.2k rpms and it redlines much easier and with much more comfort.

Do the following things for the 40k service atleast i did them and could see a big improvement in the cars driving.
1. TB cleaning.
2.Air filter change.
3.Switch to synthetic oil after using the engine flush treatment, along with Oil filter change.
4.AT oil change.
Yes, I will. Thanks to your feedback and others at the Civic long term maintenance and must do thread, we are now armed. I am just eagerly hoping that by May end Scorponok will touch 39+ and time will come to go to HASS. Yea.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:17   #144
BHPian

Simple logic
5w-50 is a higher viscousity oil hence more resistance to flow when cold and in redlining more problamatic for it to flow quickly, Due to more resistance more effort to be done by engine hence loss of power and efficiency.

0w-30 being oil of lower viscousity hence flows better and hence my problems sorted.

Go for some long drives and scorpo will surely touch 39k.

P.S- how much mileage does ur scorpo gives you ?

Last edited by jatinpatel : 10th May 2011 at 21:19.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:23   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what I truly hope for. As you may know, Scoponok has a slightly audible torque converter noise. I am hoping that it will reduce with the lube oil changes.
Looking forward to your report and snaps!

Quote:
P.S- Mobil1 syn of 5w-50 and 0w-40 are completely wrong grades for civic Please never ever use them. I did the mistake of using the 5w-50 grade and engine had become sulgish and FTD factor of civic was decreased. Also low mileage of 6kmpl!! that to with saint city traffic driving. and highway was 9.5 with saint driving.
That is really strange! Are you sure there were no other issues with your car? GTO, shuvd and many others have been using Mobil 1 for a long time now and this is the first time I am hearing any problem with this synthetic oil! Need to confirm what grade Mobil 1 they have been using!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 21:33   #146
BHPian

YES there was nothing else remaining in the car to do.

After I got the car i switched to Mobil1 5w-50 also along with that did engine de-carbonising which resulted in freeness of engine and it was worth it also replaced the fuel filter and air filter and did TB cleaning.

Still something was a miss along with pathetic mileage.
So gave a shot and replaced the AT oil difference was there but yet a lag and sluggishness was there in the response so opened the Vehicle manual and checked for grades.

And to my horror engine oil grade was wayy off from the recommended grade
My car had 5w-50
Recommendation 0w-30

Did this changeover of oil yesterday from Honda and the difference i felt was mind blowing.
I was shocked myself to see the difference the oil change made.
Even my mum who is the daily user of this car found a big difference when she drove it today. Had a big grin on her face which was for me PRICELESS.

And now i can say she is PERFECT for her age and running of 42k.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 10th May 2011 at 21:37.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:38   #147
BHPian

@dot

strange my civic didnt had any kind of Torque converter noise prior to change of AT oil. The shifts were bit sluggish and thats about it.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:53   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And to my horror engine oil grade was wayy off from the recommended grade
My car had 5w-50
Recommendation 0w-30
I am aware of the fact that 5W-50 is not the recommended synthetic oil by Honda; but this grade (and 5W-40) has been suggested on Team BHP at numerous times! Here are a couple of old posts I could dig down!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...tml#post535124

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...ml#post2196589

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...ml#post2188782

Here is the post where 5W-50 was recommended to you!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2156007

Anyway, it is high time for me to find out correct grade of synthetic oil since I have been suggested to switch to synthetic because I redline my Shark quite generously!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 10th May 2011 at 21:56.
Old 10th May 2011, 21:58   #149
BHPian

@ACE
agreed recommended but also it was mentioned that its better to put 30 or 40.

I would strongly recommend you use the Honda Idemitsu 0w-30 syn oil for your shark.
She will pay you back in all the good terms.
And if you redline her soo often then its better to switch to synthetic oil ASAP.

Details of oil used by honda

Honda Idemitsu 0w-30 VTEC LEV Engine oil
Comes in a white 4L container with Red cap and golden and black labeling.
Cost for 4L of oil is 2.8k.

I do agree on the oil temprature ratings.
But seeing the way the R18 is built to close tolerances and the way it redlines I will prefer sticking to company recommendations.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 10th May 2011 at 22:00.
Old 10th May 2011, 22:10   #150
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dot

strange my civic didnt had any kind of Torque converter noise prior to change of AT oil. The shifts were bit sluggish and thats about it.
Even @mdsaab's AT does not have any noise. However two seperate HASS fellows on two different occasions have confirmed the noise and said that it is pretty normal. What else to do? Its a minor grr grr noise which is audible when ambient noise is low, like a basement parking for instance. And it is not tyre wear or bearing. Though I have to say that change over to the Michelins has reduced the noise somewhat.

Hmm, now I am confused. Let me check it again tomorrow!

Quote:

YES there was nothing else remaining in the car to do.
Thats the goal.

Quote:

Even my mum who is the daily user of this car found a big difference when she drove it today. Had a big grin on her face which was for me PRICELESS.

And now i can say she is PERFECT for her age and running of 42k.
Wonder what @Guderian will say if he notices this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks