Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 11:14   #1
BHPian

My 2000 Model Maruti Suzuki Zen LX Carb. at 55k Kms

Was waiting to write this review for long. Finally got the opportunity.

At the very onset, I bow to the Japanese for manufacturing such great cars that for sure win the hearts of their owners. 10 years down, and I'm still in so much love with my Zen as I was when it rolled out of the showroom.

The power this car has, the low end torque, the ultimate driving position and comfort, the superb steering response (Mechanical), the brilliant and confidence inspiring road grip it offers are few of the best things I wanted to mention. Oh yes, not to mention that it starts with a little accelerator in one self till date (even in harsh WINTERS).

The downside elements are a weak A/C (I think a gas refill is needed and it works decently, though not an absolute chiller), slight rattles in the dash and many in the doors, the FE (although delivers me 12kpl in city driving and a 15kpl on the Highways till date, maybe because I have other fuel efficient MPFI cars, I feel so), rear bench legroom. I think thats it. This is all the troubles I have faced in this long duration of 10 years and 55,000 Kms.

The Zen was the only luxury Hatch at the time when I purchased it. Hyndai Santro was launched newly, so I had apprehensions about its quality and after-sales service.

The only expenditures I have made on this car are listed below:
1) A full body Paintjob, single coat.
2) New rubber on all 4 wheels.
3) A JVC CD player, and NIPPON double cone oval speakers on the rear and some local 6" speakers (Basically for tweeter purpose) on the front. I can assure you that this setup gives a brilliant sound output for a regular daily use. Hats off to nippon. Much better than other company speakers (all reputed ones) on my other cars.
4) New company suggested Spark Plugs.
5) Seat covers.

Now coming to the driving experience, I am as much pleased to drive my Zen as much I am with my ANHC. Seriously, the confidence this car inspires around the corners, absorbs small potholes, goes exactly where you want it to go with a State of Art steering wheel; it just brings a BIG smile on my face making me feel proud of the decision taken 10 years back. The rear bench is also very comfy, except for a bumpy ride on a pathetic road. On highways, it feels as good as any new car. I still pull the engine revving to 120-130 kph on a good highway. City driving is also a breeze with it, thanks to the small dimensions, and a super-slick gearshift that makes changing gear a child's play. One thing that i feel could have been better is the Ground Clearance, because of the body hitting many small village speed-breakers, but you can say, I have somehow learnt to live with them over these years.

Overall, I still don't have any issues with my Zen baby and have no intentions to sell it off, as many of my friends have suggested me to do.

I will love to hear from other Zen lovers on this Thread..

I LOVE ZEN.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2000 Model Maruti Suzuki Zen LX Carb. at 55k Kms-zen.jpg  

Old 25th October 2010, 21:49   #2
BHPian

Awesome write up. Everything you have mentioned is exactly what i would say about my Zen. It is definitely among the better cars made that just becomes a part of you. I love my Zen to the core and just cant let her go. Moreover, mine is a 2002 AT and it makes city driving a breeze! I shall post a 55,000km report soon too!!
Old 30th October 2010, 14:31   #3
BHPian

@thunderlover - Its a lovely car you own.I had temporarily borrowed my Aunt's Maruti Zen 1997 model with 77,000 kms on the odometer(As I waiting for delivery of my A- star) . I loved the typical G series engine note and it was ball to drive. It did not feel like a 77,000 km car.The quality was also good but after 2003 I noticed the quality dipped- hard door pads and there was roughness in dashboard.
Lastly ,May i ask you why did you paint your car fully again?
Old 30th October 2010, 20:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderlover View Post
Was waiting to write this review for long. Finally got the opportunity.

At the very onset, I bow to the Japanese for manufacturing such great cars that for sure win the hearts of their owners. 10 years down, and I'm still in so much love with my Zen as I was when it rolled out of the showroom.

The power this car has, the low end torque, the ultimate driving position and comfort, the superb steering response (Mechanical), the brilliant and confidence inspiring road grip it offers are few of the best things I wanted to mention. Oh yes, not to mention that it starts with a little accelerator in one self till date (even in harsh WINTERS).

The downside elements are a weak A/C (I think a gas refill is needed and it works decently, though not an absolute chiller), slight rattles in the dash and many in the doors, the FE (although delivers me 12kpl in city driving and a 15kpl on the Highways till date, maybe because I have other fuel efficient MPFI cars, I feel so), rear bench legroom. I think thats it. This is all the troubles I have faced in this long duration of 10 years and 55,000 Kms.

The Zen was the only luxury Hatch at the time when I purchased it. Hyndai Santro was launched newly, so I had apprehensions about its quality and after-sales service.

The only expenditures I have made on this car are listed below:
1) A full body Paintjob, single coat.
2) New rubber on all 4 wheels.
3) A JVC CD player, and NIPPON double cone oval speakers on the rear and some local 6" speakers (Basically for tweeter purpose) on the front. I can assure you that this setup gives a brilliant sound output for a regular daily use. Hats off to nippon. Much better than other company speakers (all reputed ones) on my other cars.
4) New company suggested Spark Plugs.
5) Seat covers.

Now coming to the driving experience, I am as much pleased to drive my Zen as much I am with my ANHC. Seriously, the confidence this car inspires around the corners, absorbs small potholes, goes exactly where you want it to go with a State of Art steering wheel; it just brings a BIG smile on my face making me feel proud of the decision taken 10 years back. The rear bench is also very comfy, except for a bumpy ride on a pathetic road. On highways, it feels as good as any new car. I still pull the engine revving to 120-130 kph on a good highway. City driving is also a breeze with it, thanks to the small dimensions, and a super-slick gearshift that makes changing gear a child's play. One thing that i feel could have been better is the Ground Clearance, because of the body hitting many small village speed-breakers, but you can say, I have somehow learnt to live with them over these years.

Overall, I still don't have any issues with my Zen baby and have no intentions to sell it off, as many of my friends have suggested me to do.

I will love to hear from other Zen lovers on this Thread..

I LOVE ZEN.
Bhai Sahab Aap ne hamari dukhti rag par haath rakh diya, I too had a ZEN golden colour 1n the year 1999 I brought it second hand which had run for just 1670 kms, and was just 1.5 months old,with Pioneer music system,seat covers,wheel covers,antirust protection,floor mats the owner was migrating to Canada and its first free service was just done .I got it for Rs.110000/-less then the cost of new on road cost without accesaries . I used it for 6 years and run 39000kms and I dont know what stupid idea came to my mind and sold it off at a good price.The buyer did not even wanted the test drive he just paid and went away. But even today when I look at its photos I just repent it , I had got it repainted at a very expensive garage ,that Bhatti Paint job with latest colour of that time frame.I dont have digital photo of the car but I am posting scanned version although they are of poor quality pls have a look at it and give your openion.I TOO LOVE ZEN.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2000 Model Maruti Suzuki Zen LX Carb. at 55k Kms-30102010151.jpg  

My 2000 Model Maruti Suzuki Zen LX Carb. at 55k Kms-30102010152.jpg  

My 2000 Model Maruti Suzuki Zen LX Carb. at 55k Kms-30102010153.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 30th October 2010 at 20:14.
Old 31st October 2010, 03:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Bhai Sahab Aap ne hamari dukhti rag par haath rakh diya, I too had a ZEN golden colour 1n the year 1999 I brought it second hand which had run for just 1670 kms, and was just 1.5 months old,with Pioneer music system,seat covers,wheel covers,antirust protection,floor mats the owner was migrating to Canada and its first free service was just done .I got it for Rs.110000/-less then the cost of new on road cost without accesaries . I used it for 6 years and run 39000kms and I dont know what stupid idea came to my mind and sold it off at a good price.The buyer did not even wanted the test drive he just paid and went away. But even today when I look at its photos I just repent it , I had got it repainted at a very expensive garage ,that Bhatti Paint job with latest colour of that time frame.I dont have digital photo of the car but I am posting scanned version although they are of poor quality pls have a look at it and give your openion.I TOO LOVE ZEN.
Sad to hear that Mr. Iqbal. We do make some wrong decisions and they only make us learn further. The outer condition of your erstwhile car seems to be too good. It happens that in the fit of it, you do certain things that you repent of. People have offered me Rs 1,75,000 for my zen, but my love for it is priceless. I think I'll own this car till either it gives up, or unless it is extremely mandatory for me to do so. However, if you seriously are interested in a zen, you can get a second hand or a third hand one for about 1.1 lacs. One of my friends bought it in Jaipur (Rajasthan).
Old 31st October 2010, 04:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
@thunderlover - Its a lovely car you own.I had temporarily borrowed my Aunt's Maruti Zen 1997 model with 77,000 kms on the odometer(As I waiting for delivery of my A- star) . I loved the typical G series engine note and it was ball to drive. It did not feel like a 77,000 km car.The quality was also good but after 2003 I noticed the quality dipped- hard door pads and there was roughness in dashboard.
Lastly ,May i ask you why did you paint your car fully again?
Dear Frozenintime, the very reason because of which I had a paintjob is much similar to the one because of which you change clothes i.e., when they get dirty. Jokes apart, the original paint has lost its shine and there will minor scratches on the doors and bumpers, owing to the thousands of kilometres that it had traversed. And yes, you said a very true thing. This car of mine doesnt at all feel like a car that has crossed the 55000 km mark..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks