Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2012, 10:38   #196
BHPian

re: Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: 165,000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Somewhere in the first quarter of 2011, our GP's front left alloys got bent. Though we could experience a slight wobble at speeds excess of 80km/h
I am facing a similar issue with my linea.vibration at 60km/hr and above even in very good roads, can feel the vibration at the seats and steering.while checking with the service center they told me about the probability of alloy damage(all other mechanical parts are working.wheel alignment and balancing done).They suggested me to replace the alloy wheels.happy to know that its repairable.searching for a metal and welding industry to repair the alloy if any fellow mates knows where it can be done at ernakulam or trivandrum please inform.Thanks in advance

Last edited by justin.das : 31st March 2012 at 10:44. Reason: unwanted quote lines
Old 31st March 2012, 19:40   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak
This is an excellent Ownership Review. Loved the entire thread. I have ordered a racechip for my linea and a GC kit installation is under progress as I am writing this. Do you recommend K&N air filter for Linea 1.3 mjd EM PK. The SS manager told me that this will not make much of a change as these are turbocharge engine and are very capable of pulling required AIR irrespective of air filter.
Changing to k&n air filter will make the breathing easier (less resistance). The turbo will take care of making available additional air mass.

I personally feel more resistance in air filter = cleaner air = better engine. It will be good if someone provides better information.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:47   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
... but the point there was that the car went out of warranty at 80k kilometers. here, the car is still under warranty till 150 k kilometers. hence the reason for sticking to the schedules.
thanks for the perspective on the ownership experience. The 150k warranty explains a lot and really adds value to the ownership experience.

Completely agree with your way of dealing with the service center folks except for the "treats" bit - cmon you need to give the other owners a break !!

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 12:19   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
thanks for the perspective on the ownership experience. The 150k warranty explains a lot and really adds value to the ownership experience.

Completely agree with your way of dealing with the service center folks except for the "treats" bit - cmon you need to give the other owners a break !!

Drive on,
Shibu.
hehe,
if it worked for me, it could work for you too.
try it, its not that expensive
Old 13th April 2012, 11:50   #200
BHPian

hi gaaij
the car crossed 120000 today. the service is still a couple of thousand kilometers away.
Lost a tail lamp bulb yesterday and its irritating to see the warning glowing in the speedo console.
will be replacing it today or tomorrow.
With the summers coming in full swing, thinking of getting the a/c checked and the evap coil serviced.
Even the front left wheel seems to be running a negative camber and looks like either the balljoint or the elastic pad has conked out.
As the car still runs on extended warranty, will be getting it done with the service itself.
I am off to meet 40 bullets and 53 riders tomorrow to Bordi where the mumbai bullet club called the Bisons are coming for a weekend.
Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 15:53   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez
hi gaaij
the car crossed 120000 today. the service is still a couple of thousand kilometers away.
Lost a tail lamp bulb yesterday and its irritating to see the warning glowing in the speedo console.
Your thread instills a lot of confidence in Fiat owners

The warning seems to be doing its job - to force us to get the bulb replaced. I think I will keep a few bulbs in my car - number plate, cabin lighting, tail and brake light bulbs.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 16:41   #202
BHPian

epicenter! What a public service you have done by making this thread and keeping it up to date. Truly appreciate the kind of enthusiasm and honesty you have shown in maintaining your car as well as this thread! Thank you so much... This is going to be my bible...

BTW, while reading through every page, one thing kept worrying me too much - the fear of the next page being the last... And that happened. But since the read was so entertaining, assuring (being a Punto owner myself, 80 K and 6 months younger to yours, in Tuscan Wine) and enlightening, was able to accept the inevitable end of the thread, hoping that I would be able to read the next pages soon...

A couple of questions:
1. Aren't alloys covered under warranty? Insurance, it may not be. I had three of my alloys bent as well. But did not have the wisdom then to try for warranty coverage before fixing them at a local garage. Only later I heard that I should have tried warranty. Sad part is that the alloys look ugly now with scars all around - since they were heated and then corrected. Alloys can be painted (same silver colour)?
2. How often did you decarbonize the engine?
3. At around 40K Kms, a tyre change is on cards for me too. Yoko C Drives are the best in your opinion? I was contemplating Bridgestore Turanza E60s. Ride, handling and longevity wise?

Devan.
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 12:05   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
epicenter! What a public service you have done by making this thread and keeping it up to date. Truly appreciate the kind of enthusiasm and honesty you have shown in maintaining your car as well as this thread! Thank you so much... This is going to be my bible...

BTW, while reading through every page, one thing kept worrying me too much - the fear of the next page being the last... And that happened. But since the read was so entertaining, assuring (being a Punto owner myself, 80 K and 6 months younger to yours, in Tuscan Wine) and enlightening, was able to accept the inevitable end of the thread, hoping that I would be able to read the next pages soon...

A couple of questions:
1. Aren't alloys covered under warranty? Insurance, it may not be. I had three of my alloys bent as well. But did not have the wisdom then to try for warranty coverage before fixing them at a local garage. Only later I heard that I should have tried warranty. Sad part is that the alloys look ugly now with scars all around - since they were heated and then corrected. Alloys can be painted (same silver colour)?
2. How often did you decarbonize the engine?
3. At around 40K Kms, a tyre change is on cards for me too. Yoko C Drives are the best in your opinion? I was contemplating Bridgestore Turanza E60s. Ride, handling and longevity wise?

Devan.
hi devan,
first of all, many thanks for taking the time out to go through my rants.
now coming to your questions:

1. alloys are not covered under warranty. agree with you that they do look ugly after the truing job at the local workshops, but if you have somebody who can do up a good paintjob, the scars can be gotten rid off. luckily i have both sandblasting/pretreatment and powdercoating/liquidpainting at my place so i'll probably shotblast them and powder coat them a dark grey silver sort of in the days to come.

2. i've decarbonised the engine twice. once at around 20k or something and once at the 84k mark. the egr is cleaned up whenever the car goes in for service at the A. S. S. its complimentary by the guys who do up the car

3. My C drives are already crossing the 40k mark and look good to go for another 20k kilometers or maybe upto the end of summers. i'll again go in for yokohamas only. maybe a different pattern. i've never tried the turanzas so i cant comment on them. i'll only talk about something i am using and not copy and paste from somebody else's review just to make me sound mr. know it all.
if the bridgestones instill confidence in you, go for them by all means.

hope this helps.
drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 12:57   #204
BANNED

@epicenter rulez; Sirji you are one meticulous and articulate guy. You have shown the Janta that good maintenance and some TLC is the basic need for every car. I too was keen on the Punto MJD at one time but it didnt suit me with the longish pedal travel and all. But you have shown that the car is a real cool Gal and will slave for you if you dont skimp on the TLC. Reading your posts makes me want to write in your unhurried and informative style.
The Punto can easily last 4- 5 L km in the hands of folks like you. I think you are an ideal candidate for the greatest number of km done in an Indian made car. I have heard of Volvos and Mercs doing millions of km.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 17:33   #205
BHPian

Thanks for your detailed reply, epicenter!

Quote:
hi devan,
first of all, many thanks for taking the time out to go through my rants.
Your so-called rants were music to my ears, my friend... :-)
now coming to your questions:

1. alloys are not covered under warranty. agree with you that they do look ugly after the truing job at the local workshops, but if you have somebody who can do up a good paintjob, the scars can be gotten rid off. luckily i have both sandblasting/pretreatment and powdercoating/liquidpainting at my place so i'll probably shotblast them and powder coat them a dark grey silver sort of in the days to come.
I believe there would be someone out here in Coimbatore. Let me check out. That it can be painted is a relief.

2. i've decarbonised the engine twice. once at around 20k or something and once at the 84k mark. the egr is cleaned up whenever the car goes in for service at the A. S. S. its complimentary by the guys who do up the car
Mine is 35-40K old now. Do you see any issues if I do them in the next service?

3. My C drives are already crossing the 40k mark and look good to go for another 20k kilometers or maybe upto the end of summers. i'll again go in for yokohamas only. maybe a different pattern. i've never tried the turanzas so i cant comment on them. i'll only talk about something i am using and not copy and paste from somebody else's review just to make me sound mr. know it all.
if the bridgestones instill confidence in you, go for them by all means.
Thanks for your feedback on C Drives. I have been hearing from many that C Drive is better than Bridgestone in many ways - except for may be longevity. Moreover, Bridgestone dealer quoted me Rs. 6800/- per tyre! By the way, at 4900 a tyre, C Drive cost that I was quoted is reasonable?

hope this helps.
Thanks again... By the way, whats the latest score (your Punto's ODO reading)?
Old 30th April 2012, 12:40   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Thanks for your detailed reply, epicenter!

Thanks again... By the way, whats the latest score (your Punto's ODO reading)?
Hi Devan,
Pic attached for authentication

drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!
Attached Thumbnails
Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-20120429_230640.jpg  

epicenter.rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 12:59   #207
BHPian

Wow! So at this rate, by September 2013, you would reach 2 lakh kms... :-) Oh, with the planned Leh Ladakh trip, you may manage even before...
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:12   #208
BHPian

hi gaaij,
slightly off topic, but couldnt resist to do this.
moderators, please delete or move if this doesnt belong here.
Got a quad projector setup for my VW Vento. Fired up the DRLS and couldnt stop myself from taking a photo. Low res ofcourse, but this is a teaser.
If this stays here, more pics to come.
For your viewing pleasure, if any!
Attached Thumbnails
Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: Sold the car @ 1,90,000 kms-img20120501wa00111.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2012, 15:55   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi gaaij,
slightly off topic, but couldnt resist to do this.
moderators, please delete or move if this doesnt belong here.
Got a quad projector setup for my VW Vento. Fired up the DRLS and couldnt stop myself from taking a photo. Low res ofcourse, but this is a teaser.
If this stays here, more pics to come.
For your viewing pleasure, if any!
Please post some more pictures of the headlamps .
Did you source them, so you got it done like this .
Let us know more about it .

Also did we miss a Vento thread from your side .

cheers
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:07   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Please post some more pictures of the headlamps .
Did you source them, so you got it done like this .
Let us know more about it .

Also did we miss a Vento thread from your side .

cheers
hi schoudhury,
will try to get some nice high res ones today or tomorrow. the visibility is awesome and the vento, which has been suffering from the very weak oe headlamps is ready to rule the roads at night.
fortunately, it is driven by my younger brother as i am more of a hatchback fan and a staunch believer that nothing comes close to the punto, be it projectors or anything else
hence the reason, that your good selves have been spared of the pain of going through another lengthy thread.
thanks for going through this one though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks