Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 19:08   #121
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a great looking hatch Chethan.

My only gripe is the 3 cylinder engine but when it delivers that kind of F.E.; I would say VW has got it spot on for the bigger Indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
There must be some other reason. Anti-theft deterrence OR Safety? I do not know. But will definitely find out for sure!!

May Be. But I feel that it has to be more technical - For somebody to religiously follow the procedure and then to properly document it.
Regarding the front wiper on the Polo, my best guess is that it maybe designed like that to reduce wind noise.

A wiper lying low behind the bonnet line wont catch the flow of air from the car's nose and will significantly bring down the wind noise at higher speeds.

Can you post a side profile picture of your car showing the wiper and the bonnet line?

Last edited by deetjohn : 16th June 2010 at 19:12. Reason: request for a picture
Old 16th June 2010, 23:07   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Should I have a routine check? I was planning to get the first service done at 10,000 Kms. And after that follow the prescribed interval of 15,000.
Congrats Chethan !! First for owning the Polo Highline TDI and then for this very informative thread. Black is Beautiful!!

Is there any scheduled checkups for the car before the 15000kms first service, like at 3000Kms?

Enjoy miles on your car.
Old 17th June 2010, 01:38   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Congrats on a great looking hatch Chethan.

My only gripe is the 3 cylinder engine but when it delivers that kind of F.E.; I would say VW has got it spot on for the bigger Indian market.

Regarding the front wiper on the Polo, my best guess is that it maybe designed like that to reduce wind noise.

A wiper lying low behind the bonnet line wont catch the flow of air from the car's nose and will significantly bring down the wind noise at higher speeds.

Can you post a side profile picture of your car showing the wiper and the bonnet line?
Thanks a lot! To tell you frankly, if I had not known that it is powered by a 3 pot engine, I would not have realised it. Even the noise, is not higher than the other diesel engines which are 4 pots. Add FE to this, it becomes a great recipe!!

Your explanation on the wind noise really makes sense. Maybe - it also reduce wind Resistance, there-by contributing to the aerodynamic design. But, I still feel that there should be some other prominent reason behind this design, since this is not a new found design by VW.

I will post the Pic tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAndSmiles View Post
Congrats Chethan !! First for owning the Polo Highline TDI and then for this very informative thread. Black is Beautiful!!

Is there any scheduled checkups for the car before the 15000kms first service, like at 3000Kms?

Enjoy miles on your car.
Thanks a lot! Happy to know that the information on this thread is of some help! Black is always beautiful! - I agree!!

There is no scheduled checkups at all. 1st service is at 15,000 kms. My worry is, even if I take the car for a checkup after say 5,000 kms, dealer may not take it seriously since VW does not recommend.

What is your take on this??
Old 17th June 2010, 08:41   #124
BHPian

Quote:
There is no scheduled checkups at all. 1st service is at 15,000 kms. My worry is, even if I take the car for a checkup after say 5,000 kms, dealer may not take it seriously since VW does not recommend.
What is your take on this??
That shows the confidence the manufacturer have on their cars. In your case the PDI at the dealership was good and you have not reported any niggles so far. Unless you have something specific like under body checkup or wheel alignment, I don't think you should take the car for checkup @5000Kms.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:12   #125
BHPian

Quote:
I guess, the design is to avoid theft of the wiper blades. You cannot remove the blades when in parking position.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:55   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are right. I spoke to SP today and he confirmed. I think UV has gone overboard with this aerodynamic concept. I have added Pics for your reference.

ODO: SP confirmed that the manual talks about trip computer and not ODO. ODO as usual runs until 1L kms.

Got the mud flaps fitted today!! Chrome strips are still not available.

SP has also confirmed that I can have a general checkup done at 5000kms for MY satisfaction!

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-wiper-1.jpg  

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-wiper-2.jpg  

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-wiper-3.jpg  

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-wiper-4.jpg  

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-wiper-5.jpg  

Last edited by Chethan B G : 17th June 2010 at 19:58.
Old 18th June 2010, 09:04   #127
Senior - BHPian

Chetan,If the SP is right I am impressed. So much effort to improve the aerodynamics of the car..!! Is that dust on your car ?
Even I may go for a check up at 5K to make sure everything is alright.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:45   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chetan,If the SP is right I am impressed. So much effort to improve the aerodynamics of the car..!! Is that dust on your car ?
Even I may go for a check up at 5K to make sure everything is alright.
Poloman, Even the front bumper is designed to improve aerodynamics. That explains why it is low set.

Yes. It is dust on my car. Could not clean it. Sorry for that!!!

Checkup at 5k is a good idea.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:10   #129
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys know what the coefficient of drag is for Polo? I can understand the aerodynamic part, but cant understand the complicated procedure to fold it out.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:27   #130
BHPian

Chetan, the 3rd picture where the wipers are standing upright - Is this the service position as described in the manual?
Old 18th June 2010, 11:33   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Chetan, the 3rd picture where the wipers are standing upright - Is this the service position as described in the manual?
Yes Sanjay. That is the Service position. In that position, you can fold the Wipers.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:45   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sanjay. That is the Service position. In that position, you can fold the Wipers.
Correct me if I am wrong..but to get to that position, if you have to follow the procedure as described below by you, isn't there chances of windscreen getting scratched? I mean, it will be always preferable to lift the blade and wipe it while it is at bottom, rather than let the blade slide on a dusty windscreen, gather more dust, come to the service mode and then clean.

I am assuming the wipers will slide on the windscreen from the bottom horizontal position to get to the upright vertical position in the so-called service mode.

Quote:
To lift the front wind shield wipers - mainly on the driver side, wipers should be parked in the service mode. To do this, turn on the ignition on and then turn it off. Later, just depress the wiper lever once (Clock wise). Wipers will move and stop in the service position. Remove the key, and now, you can lift the wiper to clean it. After cleaning, put back the wiper in position before inserting the ignition key. (Explained in User-Manual, Page 92)

This is very easy. I have done it couple of times.
IMO, this service mode is more apt for replacing the blades, which is once in a blue moon, than cleaning which is almost on a daily basis.

Last edited by sanjayc : 18th June 2010 at 11:47.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:01   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Do you guys know what the coefficient of drag is for Polo? I can understand the aerodynamic part, but cant understand the complicated procedure to fold it out.
It is complicated. That too, when we leave the car for a wash, we will be forced to monitor!!

Coefficient of drag for Polo: 0.30

Quot from automobile.com: Good To The Last Drop (Of Diesel) - VWs Polo BlueMotion

Quot: "The other part of the equation is made up by simple changes to the cars exterior. The Polo features a special aerodynamically-optimized bodykit, a rear spoiler that wraps around the roofs ledge and the sides of the rear tailgate, and a grille insert that has a narrower opening. From a scientific standpoint, the Polo isnt exactly the most aerodynamic shape for a vehicle, but these changes manage to drop its coefficient of drag rating down to a measly 0.30 Cd from 0.32. The final touches to the Polo are a set of lightweight 14-inch alloy wheels that are wrapped in 165/70 series low rolling resistance tires.
Thanks to the combined efforts of drivetrain and aerodynamics, the Polo BlueMotion is able to return an average of 60 mpg of fuel in an even mix between city and highway driving. Put it on a highway and its thirst becomes even smaller, consuming just 73 mpg! Broken down into simple terms, on a single 11.9-gallon tank of diesel fuel, the car can travel an astonishing 711 miles. These results are amazing given the few changes that were made, and make the likes of the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit seem wasteful in comparison. The Polo BlueMotion also boasts an extremely low CO2 rating of just 5.8 oz/mile, some 0.5 ounces less than the regular equivalent Polo, and one gram less than the Toyotas full-hybrid Prius. "
Old 18th June 2010, 12:21   #134
BHPian

Hey Chethan:

Just wanted to let you know that your posts are very helpful to me in understanding Polo and hence Vento and VW in general. I have been circumspect about VW group after my disastrous experience with Skoda. But I find VW to be far more serious in their approach to the market and that's good for those who love German engineered cars.

I like the fact that you try to write as objectively as possible about this new beauty - which is really tough for a new car owner

Rated this thread 5 star. Do keep posting!

Cheers,
Old 18th June 2010, 14:52   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Correct me if I am wrong..but to get to that position, if you have to follow the procedure as described below by you, isn't there chances of windscreen getting scratched? I mean, it will be always preferable to lift the blade and wipe it while it is at bottom, rather than let the blade slide on a dusty windscreen, gather more dust, come to the service mode and then clean.

I am assuming the wipers will slide on the windscreen from the bottom horizontal position to get to the upright vertical position in the so-called service mode.
IMO, this service mode is more apt for replacing the blades, which is once in a blue moon, than cleaning which is almost on a daily basis.
I agree with you Sanjay. But given the situation, we have to work around it - Is it not?
When we need to wash - we can pour some water on the wind shield and then move the wiper.
In public places though, when some body slightly lifts the wiper to tuck-in a parking slip, it does not cause a problem.

I feel that it is a matter of - getting used to it. But it is a problem, since we have to make OTHERS get used to it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Hey Chethan:

Just wanted to let you know that your posts are very helpful to me in understanding Polo and hence Vento and VW in general. I have been circumspect about VW group after my disastrous experience with Skoda. But I find VW to be far more serious in their approach to the market and that's good for those who love German engineered cars.

I like the fact that you try to write as objectively as possible about this new beauty - which is really tough for a new car owner

Rated this thread 5 star. Do keep posting!

Cheers,
Diffsoft - Thank you very much for your encouraging words!! I always believe that we are in this forum, since we are passionate about the subject, rather than simply because - we own something. It is natural that we will be slightly biased for some time - towards the car we purchase. Objective analysis will minimize it to a certain extent. But after we get over it, we will get back to our usual - passionate way of looking at any other car in the market!!

Thank you very much for the rating!! I will strive hard to maintain the same!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks