Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2015, 11:58   #286
BHPian

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4

I think you should take the truck outside and show it to some competent ASC, who can dissemble the gearbox and repair the clutch unit.
There have been many cases in the forum itself where the Auto-tranny was repaired for a fraction of the amount quoted by the Authorised service centre guys.
One which comes to my mind right now is kryptonite's pre owned Laura DSG.
The trick is to find some one who knows what he is doing. May be you can try asking tbhpian Stuntfreak, as he too is from Pune and might be able to lead you to someone competent enough to do the job.

Last edited by dean5545 : 15th August 2015 at 11:59.
dean5545 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 12:37   #287
BHPian

Re: My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4

Thank you @dean5545. I will definitely pursue other options and connect with @Stuntfreak if Planet Ford comes back with a 5.5 lakh estimate! But they have been good to me so far, and I am hoping this will all turn out well. I will give them another week to resolve the issue, before I raise hell
Old 15th August 2015, 14:23   #288
BHPian

I'm in a bit of a similar situation for my Innova. After 1,70,000km my lower arm bushes have gone bust. Toyota doesn't sell bushes alone you have to buy the entire lower arm assembly which cost a bomb at 9000 per arm ( not as high as your 5.5 lakh estimate but still). Now I can get both lower and upper arm bushes replaced outside for ₹7000 but since the ASC has always been very helpful to me I can't think of getting it done outside.
The treatment meted out by the ASC folks is so good that I don't want anyone else to touch my car except them.
Old 15th August 2015, 22:34   #289
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
If the gear box can be disassembled, then there has to be a way to replace the child part! Agree?
Completely agree.

Samara is based on the Everest, which is more of a Mazda than a Ford and parts are easily and widely available, in most South Asian countries and Australia.

However, before you source parts, it is essential to know the part which has gone bad and I would recommend you take her to a well known FNG at Pune, even if she has to be towed.

Let me know if you need any recommendations for the place.
Old 29th August 2015, 17:20   #290
BHPian

Quick update on the gear box problem. After almost 3 weeks, Planet Ford finally narrowed it down to two cracked clutch plates in the gear box. They have now disassembled the unit, and put in an order for the child parts. Latest estimate to fix: 40K and 2 weeks. A big relief compared to the 5.5L I was mentally preparing for!
siddheshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 15:23   #291
BHPian

Hey there. Any update on your Endy after the Gearbox trouble?
Old 1st December 2015, 17:50   #292
BHPian

Hey @ScorpMan, my bad - I should have given an update!

Yes, after my last update, I basically escalated it to Ford India HQ at Chennai and they immediately pushed the accelerator. They updated me literally every day on the progress. The child parts were sourced, apparently from the US, and the work completed within the next week or so. Total cost: approx. 40K including labor and some other peripheral parts/components. Planet Ford was generous enough to give me a significant discount on the total bill, to compensate for the long time they needed to fix the problem.

It's been almost 3 months since then, and Samara is enjoying perfect health now.
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 13:08   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding my experiences on a 2010 Endeavour 4x4 AT that I sourced for a friend in Chennai:
  • Odo Reading 112500kms
  • Second Owner
  • Diamond White
  • Goodyear Wrangler tyres which had done just 5k
  • Original invoice + manual+service bills from 60k kms ; all service done at MPL Ford
  • sound mechanicals except for minor scoring marks on the discs

There was a missed service at 110000kms so immediately got the engine , and differential oils "Mobilised"

Chose Mobil Delvac Super1300 for the engine and Mobil 80W for the differentials(front and rear).

Couldn't find API GL-5 oil so took a decision to go with the above gear oil as this car isn't going to do extreme duty at all. There was Shell 80W90 GL-4 but I chose Mobil.

Now comes the surprise element- the filter elements.Purolator's Innova air filter was a perfect replacement and so was the Innova oil filter from Denso.

The AT oil needs replacement after 144 months so that is another six years away.The AT and center differential oil spec seems to be Ford specific.

The power mirror adjustment switch of the car wasn't working at all ; had that opened,cleaned with IPA and there she was,back to working ways.

This car is such a pleasure to drive even in narrow streets .The steering is outstanding.

One observation on the AT - while gear shifts in D mode are smooth , I once downshifted the lever to 3 and found that it took 2 seconds to respond.Shows that the gearbox isn't in the same league as my GV.

Last edited by vigsom : 6th March 2016 at 13:11. Reason: Edit
Old 9th March 2016, 17:01   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Adding my experiences on a 2010 Endeavour 4x4 AT that I sourced for a friend in Chennai:

This car is such a pleasure to drive even in narrow streets .The steering is outstanding.
Can't agree more to that! One of my life's greatest pleasures is squeezing it out of tight spots, and watching people's jaws drop in amazement! Even in crowded city streets, the roar of the engine and presence on the road, combined with its maneuverability, makes the Endy one of the easiest vehicles to navigate.
Old 28th September 2016, 08:42   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
[*]Odo Reading 112500kms
The car had to be abruptly stopped alongside a highway when abnormal noise was noticed .

A flatbed tow truck brought the car back to Chennai.

Inspection showed that the propeller shaft to the rear wheel had got disconnected;the first UJ cross after the transfer case had sheared off.

Also, the shaft sports a mount with a bearing built in ; even that was torn.

We inspected the other two UJ cross and found some play so decided to change all three of them.

None of the UJ Cross"es" had any stampings on them , making me believe they were all spurious parts.

I managed to source a somewhat decent brand of Cross called "precision" ; hope it does good duty.

Phew !!!! It is a headache to source parts for this car.Prices of parts was quite steep - approx Rs.6k for three UJ cross and 4k for the mount.

Here are some pics

a.The damaged UJ Cross vs New
My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4-p_20160926_161017_1.jpg

b.The propeller shaft with the damaged UJ Cross and the damaged mount .
My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4-p_20160926_142346_1.jpg
My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4-p_20160926_143607.jpg

c.Portion if the transmission where the UJ Cross had sheared off.
My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4-p_20160926_134155.jpg

Total damages for parts and labour was 13k; towing extra.

What I realised later was that the friend could have got the shaft disconnected at the incident Site( approx 110km from Chennai) through a local mechanic and driven the car back to Chennai in 4H mode with the front differential in action.

Anyways , all is well that ends well.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th September 2016 at 08:59. Reason: pic fixed
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 14:08   #296
M35
BHPian

Hello siddheshb
Hope ‘samara’ is treating you well.

I just bought home a 2011 Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4 a couple of week back which had covered some 86k kms so far. I have been looking for a spacious SUV in the used car market with a budget of 9-10 Lakhs and this came through a friend. The car looked clean with a clean service history and hence finalised the deal in a day, even in my absence. I will be back in India only in June.
  1. What does the ODO read now?
  2. When did you get the timing belt changed ? According to an A.S.C, it is at 120000 km.
  3. What are covered in the 90k and 100k services and approximate service costs ?
M35 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 15:59   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
  1. What does the ODO read now?

Samara is close to 95K now, the incremental kms having dropped slightly after my Audi came home (she has done 14K in 2 years)
  2. When did you get the timing belt changed ? According to an A.S.C, it is at 120000 km.

Not yet changed, although this time the ASC told me I should plan for it in the next service, in 2-3 months.
  3. What are covered in the 90k and 100k services and approximate service costs ?

My last service around 90K ODO came to around 20,000. Nothing hard core, the usual brakes, filters, and some cleaning. My experience with the Endy has been that service isnt expensive as such, but I did have one issue (and only issue so far) with the gear box (gear plates cracked inside) which cost me 3 months and around 30,000 a year and half back
Unless there is something very wrong in the Endy's history, you should consider you got yourself a great deal, and you can look forward to a lot of great motoring experiences ahead

Cheers!
Siddhesh
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 20:34   #298
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Unless there is something very wrong in the Endy's history, you should consider you got yourself a great deal, and you can look forward to a lot of great motoring experiences ahead
Thanks Siddhesh for the update.

Regarding my Endy, the first owner seemed to have done the services at a number of ASCs- mostly those in Bangalore and Mysore and a couple of times in Kerala as well. Whomever I called had found nothing unusual in their service records.

Both the interior and exterior look very clean except for the leather on the seats which does seem to have darkened at places. Since there are two side airbags, not sure if I could get those seat covers replaced.
Old 2nd July 2017, 16:16   #299
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Hello siddheshb
Hope ‘samara’ is treating you well. [/list]
Quote:
Hello M35 and Siddhesh

This is the deal I am getting:
Car make and model: Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT, October 2013
Odo: Around 68700 kms
Asking price: 10 lac

The car is pristinely maintained with a decent service history, the owner himself is a Ford dealer after all.

What you guys suggest?
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:19   #300
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Hello M35 and Siddhesh

This is the deal I am getting:
Car make and model: Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT, October 2013
Odo: Around 68700 kms
Asking price: 10 lac

The car is pristinely maintained with a decent service history, the owner himself is a Ford dealer after all.

What you guys suggest?
Go do drive [test] it around in city traffic and 2-Lane congested roads. If you like the AT/Engine performance and fine with the initial engine noise in the south of 80-90 km/h, you should get it. I am yet to get a double digit FE though, the best being 9km/L. I don’t see any reason you don’t like its performance on 4-lane roads, real beast there!

But, are you really looking to buy one?
Mine is a keeper !
You should get it, NOT for the low price, but for what the vehicle itself is

Last edited by M35 : 2nd July 2017 at 23:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks