Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 00:02   #241
BHPian

Re: My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4

We went to Mantra Resort, 60 km from Pune today.

Check this amazing bridge we had to cross - as tight as they come! The rickety steel structure, 30m above a rocky dry riverbed was scary, to say the least - and I can only imagine the adrenalin rush it will provide in the monsoons with a gushing river below!

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4-dsc04295.jpg

Looking back on a good day... !

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4-wp_000079.jpg
siddheshb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 09:37   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Check this amazing bridge we had to cross - as tight as they come!
That looks like an interesting place to drive to. Going by the width of the bridge in the snap - did you scrape any part ? The edge of the railings of the bridge - just as the curve/bend starts looks tough to clear.
Nice snaps !
Old 14th March 2013, 09:41   #243
BANNED

Quote:
We went to Mantra Resort, 60 km from Pune today.
Finally you post something.

How much has Samara clocked now and how is she treating you? Any plans of a Bangalore drive in the near future?
Old 14th March 2013, 12:31   #244
BHPian

@Guderian Sir, the bridge was extremely tight, a few inches on both sides, but no, no scratches The curve at the end was a result, really, of a previous accident, I believe. It's a great place for a TBHP day out, especially for the Pune gang! We can go there, do some rough riding in the area, and then go to the resort for lunch and activities like horse riding, swimming and archery!

@Devdath, no trip planned as yet. I know you have been pushing me for one for a long time now Samara's done 53K, and she's been a darling - no issues whatsoever. No niggles, no noises, she's brand new as ever, except for a few battle scars on her body!

Last edited by siddheshb : 14th March 2013 at 12:32.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:35   #245
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^

was actually wondering who took that snap? - from a vehicle ahead or a person on foot?

Also if the car broke down midway on the bridge - how would one get out of the car? -from the boot filled with luggage? Scary throughts.
Old 15th March 2013, 22:20   #246
BHPian

@ACM, the pic was taken by a team member in an earlier car that went across (it was a Wagon R!). What happens if the car breaks down? Good question.. hadn't thought of that!

It really wasn't as bad as it looks from the pic... camera angles at work there. I had 6-8 inches on either side at all times...
Old 24th March 2013, 16:04   #247
BHPian

Samara had a battery failure Friday night. I had actually been on the road for an hour or so, and then stopped by to pick up something from a pharmacy. Two min later, she refused to start - the battery was almost dead.

The Ford RSA technician started her up using his own Scorpio's battery, but less than 100 meters later, she lurched, and stalled, with both braking and steering failure. Thankfully, I managed to coast her to the side of the road and park, without a mishap, and call the tow truck.

My Ford Endeavour 3.0L AT 4x4-wp_000086.jpg

The ASC has promised to cover the battery under warranty (with depreciation, I will get about 30% off on the new one) and I should get Samara back tomorrow.

She completes 3 years on April 30, and she's had three run-ins with the mechanics so far - all three have been "minor" electrical problems leading to big side effects. The first time, she refused to start because a fuse was apparently lose, and the computer shut her down for some time. While waiting for RSA, I tried again, and she was good to go. The second incident was scary and I covered it in detail in earlier postings - the fuse blowout at Varandha ghat, rendering her almost crippled. And now this.

But in all fairness, she's brought me home safe and sound every time - so no complaints, really
siddheshb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 09:25   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Samara had a battery failure Friday night...
Sid, Sorry to hear of this !
But a little puzzled - why did the battery pack up this quick ? Shade under 3 years ? Normally batteries these days, with some minimal care, last upto about 4 years.
Are there too many electronic gadgets in your vehicle ?
Another pointer is that the ASC chaps not checking the battery at all during the routine service and just ticking the boxes in the service checklist. 99% of the cases this is what happens. And so once a quarter (mid way between the service intervals for my vehicle) one should check the battery and top it up. That's all it takes I guess.
You are lucky that you got it covered under warranty though with a wee bit of depreciation. Was it an Amaron ?
Good luck with the new spark box and do keep us posted about the replacement.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:12   #249
BHPian

Yes, an Amaron. It was puffed, and the technician said it might be getting overcharged due to higher charge current or something like that.

I do have my externally-fitted Xenon lights, but I do not think they are responsible. I may be wrong.
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 12:28   #250
Senior - BHPian

A puffed up battery is bad news. Should be changed under warranty, which they did. Xenons will not overload the electricals. There is a ballast to run them, hence should not be a problem

One question I have for you @siddheshb

Do you ever find the gearbox shifting noisy & jerky ?? I had done a TD of the Endy AT 4x4 a few days back. I found that the GB was both jerky & noisy. The Sales Gent told me this is how it is on the Endy, he said I was used to the Landrover's gearbox hence found this (Endy) so.

Also I found the 2.5L MT way more peppier, so I believe. The only downside being - that there is no 4x4 in MT variants. So looking at an older version like the THUNDER+ if I can find a decent one.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 12:36   #251
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Do you ever find the gearbox shifting noisy & jerky ?? I had done a TD of the Endy AT 4x4 a few days back. I found that the GB was both jerky & noisy. The Sales Gent told me this is how it is on the Endy, he said I was used to the Landrover's gearbox hence found this (Endy) so.

Also I found the 2.5L MT way more peppier, so I believe. The only downside being - that there is no 4x4 in MT variants. So looking at an older version like the THUNDER+ if I can find a decent one.
Why not an older 3.0 MT? (The look just before the current rounded head lamps look).
Old 25th March 2013, 12:41   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Why not an older 3.0 MT? (The look just before the current rounded head lamps look).
Ya sure that is an option as well. Is that a 4x4
Old 25th March 2013, 12:46   #253
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Ya sure that is an option as well. Is that a 4x4
Yep it is a 4X4 = It is the one with the really large front grill but no AT. - I think the best looking one among the versions in the last 10 years.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 13:46   #254
BHPian

@Ricky_63, I don't think I can really call the gearbox jerky or noisy, and of course, it's an AT, so there's no real need to touch it most of the time. There was one time when I lost a fuse on the Endy, and that made the gearbox really jerky until the fuse was replaced.

I guess the AT also makes this version a little less peppier than the MT, but it's just for that wee bit 2-3 seconds before the AT kicks in. If you are willing to live with that, you can still leave traffic at the signals way behind on green. And it makes the vehicle so much easier to drive in the city.
Old 25th March 2013, 18:47   #255
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @ACM. Yes that is the best looking one. It is the "type 2" but the THUNDER+ which is the 4x4 version is very seldom available..but I am looking :-)

@Siddheshb Thanks for your feedback. Maybe the TD vehicle was worse than normal.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks