Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 08:26   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
...but the temperature gauge almost always crosses the half mark and then just stays there even on a cool day....
I went to Ford just to have them check the cooling systems and everything is pefect. ...
Sandy,
Yup, same here, both the Ikon and Fiesta very quickly go up to halfway mark and stay there regardless of the ambient temperature. From what I've been told by Hyundai (my earlier Accent) and Ford, that's a good sign; means the system is working well and keeping the engine at optimum operating temperature. In the Ikon, on hot days the fan works more (very noticeable) and keeps it at that temperature. I have been told by both makers that I need to worry only if it goes into or near the red zone.

Couple of nights ago, if you recall, there was heavy rain and it was quite chill outside. I was interested to see what would happen in the Fiesta. We were returning home from town; it stayed at the same halfway mark even given the low ambient temperature.

Quote:
An engine that does not sip ANY coolant is also an indication of the coolant not reaching the narrow coolant passages in the engine block due to a block.
Good point Sandy. In such a case though the gauge indicator should show higher readings I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
..but we are yet to do a long drive. So will keep a look on the temperature.
Mooza, just curious, haven't you done any long trips in the Ikon earlier? Or does the Scorpio do duty here?

Nice combo to have in a garage - Scorp and Ikon!

How's the temperature now?
Old 20th August 2010, 09:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Nice combo to have in a garage - Scorp and Ikon!

How's the temperature now?
Thanks Damu !

Yes, it's the Scorpio for the long runs, but we have done Bangalore-Mangalore a couple of times in the Ikon long ago. The gauge used to hover around the halfway mark, but I somehow do not remember the exact position, as there are no markings on the dial.

The car's been performing well in the short stretches that I use it (3 to 4 kms max at a stretch), during it which it stabilizes just a shade above halfway. Since it gets stabilised there, I am quite OK with it for now
Old 24th August 2010, 07:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In such a case though the gauge indicator should show higher readings I guess?
Yes. I have noticed something else too. My temperature gauge drops a little below the half mark when there is a steady air flow into the radiator. Takes place only when you are driving down a freeway like the Bangalore-Chennai Expressway.
Old 26th August 2010, 22:48   #79
BHPian

Awesome write up. Very nice to see a 2004 Ikon 1.6 review. I have the SXi and its a dream machine. I too have clocked 74Ks. That is after I started riding to office 2 yrs back. I just adore the feedback on the steering wheel. And the pickup on the highway while passing trucks is a joy. As you mentioned ghat driving is a pleasure. I have driven on Agumbe Ghat so many times and the car just floats. I have had a few small accidents within Bangalore. All brushes, some avoidable some not. But absolutely no major issues so far. Only concern is the service. Will visit the Lingarajapuram Metro next time. Only complaint I have is the noisy A/C. Recenly a driver from ezidrive.in drove my car and was amazed when he found out that its a 2004 model. It will be hard to let go of this car. It has taken me to all my vacations in India. And has not let me down once.
Old 27th August 2010, 07:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed something else too. My temperature gauge drops a little below the half mark when there is a steady air flow into the radiator. Takes place only when you are driving down a freeway like the Bangalore-Chennai Expressway.
Sandy, I don't recall in my Ikon whether the temperature drops a bit under cooler conditions - will check on that.

Incidentally, this doesn't happen in my Fiesta. I've been observing that regardless of ambient temperature, the indicator stays at the same spot (halfway mark) which is possibly 90 deg C.

How's your suspension now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
Awesome write up. Very nice to see a 2004 Ikon 1.6 review.
Thanks Prabhu!

Quote:
I have the SXi and its a dream machine. I too have clocked 74Ks. I just adore the feedback on the steering wheel. And the pickup on the highway while passing trucks is a joy. As you mentioned ghat driving is a pleasure. I have driven on Agumbe Ghat so many times and the car just floats.
It is equally nice to meet someone with the same model! Looks like we have very similar usage patterns.

It's obvious that you know how to use the car well, you should put up a long term test report so we Ikon fans can enjoy your car too.

Quote:
But absolutely no major issues so far. Only concern is the service. Will visit the Lingarajapuram Metro next time. Only complaint I have is the noisy A/C.
Sandeep Mohan and I both get our Ikons serviced at Lingarajpuram Metro and we have a very good relationship with Service Advisor Harish. Do meet him and you can tell him that we recommended him. He will give you his attention and attend to you sincerely. Even if the problem is not set right immediately, at least he will try his best and eventually solve it. I've had no issues ever since I've started going there.

Noisy a/c is something even I find annoying. IMO, it's because the fan speed at 1 is too high. Try this trick to lessen the sound - turn the air flow direction control to mid way between "face" and "feet". Then the air flow gets diverted, and the air flow on the face and the noise get a bit less. It will be suitable in present Bangalore weather.

Quote:
It will be hard to let go of this car. It has taken me to all my vacations in India. And has not let me down once.
Yes, I can very well imagine your affection! But there is one car that can replace it, and I've just got it - the Fiesta Sport. If you haven't seen it, here's the link to my initial owner's report:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...500-kms-3.html

Enjoy your beauty, she is a rare lady indeed! And look forward to a report from you - this is something we'd all like to see.

Old 27th August 2010, 08:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How's your suspension now?
I am not happy with the results of the over haul. All the creaking noises stopped after a 2nd visit to Ford but I still find it soft. Its not as firm as I thought it would be. I am comparing the feel from your car and a colleagues.

The brakes are back to practically no brakes. I asked Ford to replace brake fluid, bleed and flush the brakes but I doubt if they have done the bleeding and flushing bit as the bite is still spongy. As if there is Air or stale brake fluid in the pipes. I am taking the car to a reputed friendly neighborhood garage (Or FNG as referred on Team Bhp) on Stephens Road to get the dent fixed on the left fender. Will have the gentleman who runs the place look at the brakes. He wanted me to fix Allied Brand (USA) front discs as its a direct fit on the Ikon and solves the entire braking problem the Ikon is known to suffer from. The garage said he can import it for me and will cost around Rs. 8000 for a pair of discs. However I am not too keen on this as in my opinion the Ikon has excellent brakes. All it needs is some attention.

You have mentioned that the brakes on the Ikon are scary but do you recall how they were when you first bought the car? I mean its been 6 years and I can understand if your braking system is not responding well & it could be the results of dirty, contaminated brake lines as flushing, bleeding and replacing brake fluid is the most ignored or should I say forgotten thing.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IAll the creaking noises stopped after a 2nd visit to Ford but I still find it soft. Its not as firm as I thought it would be. I am comparing the feel from your car and a colleagues.

Hi Sandeep, what are your tyre pressures ? Slightly higher tyre pressures (increasing by 1 or 2 psi) may reduce the soft feeling of the suspension. But it will result in a slightly harder ride.

Or maybe the shocks are past their life ?
Old 30th August 2010, 08:15   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi Sandeep, what are your tyre pressures ? Or maybe the shocks are past their life ?
I maintain 30-31 Psi. I pump up the tires myself. I replaced the suspension struts and coil springs just 3 months ago
Old 28th October 2010, 12:51   #84
BHPian

Quote:
On the Bangalore Goa trip, we take the Shimoga route and the ghat section is where the Ikon makes you love her. In fact, drive her hard on any ghat section and you’ll swear never to part with this baby.

The Ikon is so precise in its steering that you can point her into a corner and drive it to the exact line you wish. If the chosen line is right, you won’t even know you’re cornering, the suspension just soaks it up. I used to drive a lot Coimbatore Bangalore when I was working there in 2005. In the Thoppur Ghats I have often found myself at 160 kph, and unintentionally. It is advisable to keep a conscious check on your speed, its suspension is so good that it’s very deceptive – you could be going much faster than you think.

Here the seats come up for praise. Excellently designed, they hold you firmly in place while cornering. There’s never a moment that you have to expend any energy or thought to hold your place. The seats hold the driver all right and tight. More so when buckled up.

Only lumbar support is lacking, but a rolled up towel or small cushion placed to the small of the back can give the required support.

The front wells are relatively cramped (compared to Accent). I like it this way. This is a performance car and I like to be “locked” in the driving position.

Rear seats are great for Longest trips.

Long, smooth highways are a breeze, but you don’t get the same heady exhilaration that comes in fast, twisty roads. Also, on flat straight stretches, it’s a good idea to keep a check on your speed – unchecked, it simply goes past 160 kph, rock solid and smooth, not even a tremor to indicate its speed. The Ikon can handle these speeds easily, but I strongly believe that anything above 120 kph on an Indian road is asking for trouble. Even in the excellent Bangalore Chennai highway, there are these guys who come against you on your side of the road with their “wide body jumbos” – the ubiquitous TVS 50 carrying wide loads. Not to mention bullock carts and trucks. So I am very cautious especially on these new highways.

To end this song, this is a car that will grow on you. Doesn't matter if it is dated, its performance is still outstanding even by 2010 standards. I don't feel like parting with it.
It is like you've read my mind.. Similar experience but two negative aspects for me are ::
1. Braking.
2. Accelaration ( Considering mine's a 1.8 D 2000 )
Nevertheless I am proud owner of a ford and my due respects to my GT40.

I initially feared all the negative reviews about ford and its service center treatments. However, I only once made the mistake of visiting the ford service center after which it has been regular maintenance at a known good mechanic. 3 years of my ownership I am attached to my vehicle. I even posted an article when my friend was willing to trade mine for a Lancer(my dream machine). After a couple of days I set the article to sold and ever since I kept this baby running.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:57   #85
BHPian

Aah, I am missing my Ikon now, re-reading Damu's description of the drives in the hills. I completely agree, the Ikon simply takes you to driver's heaven on twisty and turny roads. The most awesome experience I had was on the ghat from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar, a conscious decision to come that way to try and emulate Narayan Karthikeyan's test drive in the Ikon when it was launched. The way the car throws itself at hair pin bends and effortlessly comes back out is unbelieveable. The poise, the grip on the road, and the grunt of the engine as it pulls out - I could never get tired of it. It's sad that such a beautiful car is being phased out by Ford.
Old 28th October 2010, 13:03   #86
BHPian

I tried to search for any 1.8D's on this forum and if anyone had installed a K&N or a Green Cotton Air filter. But no luck. If anyone has any suggstions or inputs it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 6th November 2010, 23:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
It is like you've read my mind.. Similar experience but two negative aspects for me are ::
1. Braking.
2. Accelaration ( Considering mine's a 1.8 D 2000 )
Nevertheless I am proud owner of a ford..
Hi lancersfx,

I think most Ikon owners will agree the braking is really scary in emergency stops, although to be honest I've never actually had a problem stopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
I initially feared all the negative reviews about ford and its service center treatments. However, I only once made the mistake of visiting the ford service center after which it has been regular maintenance at a known good mechanic.
I've always got my Ikon serviced at the Ford centre and although it is nowhere as good as Hyundai's, it's not as bad (my experience) as is often made out to be (more by non Ford owners). Trick is to get hold of a service advisor who understands you and your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Aah, I am missing my Ikon now, re-reading Damu's description of the drives in the hills. I completely agree, the Ikon simply takes you to driver's heaven on twisty and turny roads. The most awesome experience I had was on the ghat from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar, a conscious decision to come that way to try and emulate Narayan Karthikeyan's test drive in the Ikon when it was launched. The way the car throws itself at hair pin bends and effortlessly comes back out is unbelieveable. The poise, the grip on the road, and the grunt of the engine as it pulls out - I could never get tired of it. It's sad that such a beautiful car is being phased out by Ford.
Siddesh, you have brought my nostalgic memories back to life with your description! Perfect description of the Ikon's trademark handling. In fact when I bought my Ikon it was largely due to Autocar's report, which included the famous NK drive of the newly launched Ikon.

But you have the Fiestas now, so you do still have arguably one of the best drivers cars with you.

I have the Fiesta Sport, and I have to say, it is actually better than the Ikon, virtually zero body roll and a road grip like a lizard on a ceiling. Except the steering is not as direct as the Ikon's and the engine lacks low end punch. Otherwise it's a dream machine, Ford's brilliant replacement of the fantastic Ikon.

Ford forever!
Old 9th December 2010, 09:00   #88
BHPian

Update Service at 79809 kms

My son was away for a few days and asked me to get the Ikon serviced. Odo read 79809 kms.

As usual I took it to Metro Ford Lingarajpuram, because I am comfortable with the service there. It's not fault-free, but I can get things done my way if I am patient.

Started her up and immediately I knew the battery was weak. The starter wasn't sprightly as usual. Otherwise car was okay except for door operation creaks.

Up on the jack, the SA showed me an oil deposit near the valve door. He said he'd check the leak and call me if replacement was required.

Later he called saying the valve door gasket needed to be replaced, and also that the battery was weak. He advised a replacement for that too. I agreed to both.

Now here's the big surprise: this is the first battery change! The original battery that came with the car in March 2004 has being doing duty since then flawlessly! This is Ford's own brand, Motorcraft.

It was replaced with another Motorcraft battery.

I think by any standards a battery life of nearly 7 years is something worth recording. Even the Ford guys were surprised. Just goes to prove how good driving habits can result in better reliability and lower maintenance costs.

Coming to costs, the battery cost Rs. 2320, and the valve door gasket Rs. 2605. Total cost with oil and filter changes, wheel alignment, labour, et al, Rs. 8800. Not bad.

Besides the battery life, I was also surprised by the cost of the new battery - I thought it would be around 4k or more. Rs 2320 is pretty good.

Car is fine, now of course being used by my son (and his new bride!).

It's a nice trip down memory lane as I drive it to the service and back. But, in my garage lies waiting my new mistress, the gorgeous Fiesta S! I slide the Ikon in gently next to her, and gaze upon them adoringly. What a pair they make!

Thanks to Ford India for giving us these brilliant drivers' cars at prices the ordinary Indian guy can afford.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:24   #89
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Damuji,

Truly well written post, it seems that you are head over heels in love with both the beauties. Good to know that you still trust the Ford Engines and their maintenance costs.

I hope both cars live more than your expectations. Time for Ford to stand up, take notice and felicitate you for your inclination.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:50   #90
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Aaah, Damu, that was so sweet, almost got tears in my eyes.. and I mean it. If I am ever down in Bangalore, I wanna come and see your babies. I know the feeling, man, seeing your Fords sitting side by side... just such a proud and awesome feeling. And yes, Ford used to be expensive for maintenance earlier (after the initial 5 years of a car's life), but things have changed drastically now.. and that's awesome. I remember driving my Ikon non-stop for 6 hours from Pune to Goa, in 40 degree summers, while other sedan owners told me their engines heated up and needed rest. When I first bought my IKon and was setting out on a long journey, I asked the dealer what precautions I needed to take, and he laughed and told me, you will never ever need to open the hood. It's remained that way, to this day, across 4 Fords, 3,00,000 kms and 10 years later!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks