Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 15:16   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher-The Figo TDCi. "42K kms Update"

Had a minor mishap on the highway yesterday. A biker decided to turn right and slowed down in the middle of the road. Misjudged his speed and had to do a last minute brake jamming and swerve. Luckily [for both] the guy did not fall down and escaped any injury. The bikes silencer was bent and he lost an indicator and a foot rest. Figo got some dents on the left fender and the black plastic part around the fog lamps came loose with a crack. The inner plastic wheel arch covering too came out.

We both were so lucky i would say. At highway speeds such things could turn out so bad. Thank God.
Old 6th January 2012, 15:27   #947
Senior - BHPian

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher-The Figo TDCi. "42K kms Update"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Had a minor mishap on the highway yesterday. A biker decided to turn right and slowed down in the middle of the road. Misjudged his speed and had to do a last minute brake jamming and swerve. Luckily [for both] the guy did not fall down and escaped any injury. The bikes silencer was bent and he lost an indicator and a foot rest. Figo got some dents on the left fender and the black plastic part around the fog lamps came loose with a crack. The inner plastic wheel arch covering too came out.

We both were so lucky i would say. At highway speeds such things could turn out so bad. Thank God.
Sad to hear about it, but glad that it was a minor mishap. Coincidentally, my Fiesta also got scraped yesterday by a biker driving on the wrong side, but it was in dead-slow city traffic

I was changing from 1st to 2nd gear when this guy, with a pillion behind, executed a kamikaze turn right in front of my car. I jammed the brakes and stopped an inch short. He did too. But again he revved and hit the bumper below the left fog with his tyre. A second later, I realized why he was so desperate. A traffic cop was running towards him as he was on the wrong lane, and he did not want to get caught . He got a slap from the cop, and that prevented me from doing the same.

Fortunately, the mark vanished to a large extent after being rubbed with a cloth. What little is left is not visible unless one bends down to the fog lamp level.
Old 10th January 2012, 15:08   #948
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Good to see your update Gemi and about the performance of your car.

Do you hear/feel any noises/rattles after hitting 40 and above in the odo
Old 10th January 2012, 16:03   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Fortunately, the mark vanished to a large extent after being rubbed with a cloth. What little is left is not visible unless one bends down to the fog lamp level.
Sometimes these bikers are too unbearable. Anyways good to hear that your pocket is saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Good to see your update Gemi and about the performance of your car.

Do you hear/feel any noises/rattles after hitting 40 and above in the odo
Nothing. Except for the one from the plastic in the place of the passenger airbags. That thing keeps rattling once in a while. Other than that things are perfectly all right. Performance in better than ever. The car pulls greatly till 100kmph. I was planning to get the EGR cleaning done at 40K service but decided against it since the pulling power of the engine did not seem to be a problem. I guess i would ask for an EGR cleaning once i feel any kind of lag. I really dont know how Ford manages to not recommend EGR cleanings given the quality of fuel available. .

The engine shut off thingy seems to have been solved. Ive done 4K after the update and the car has not died on me till now.

I am seriously thinking of a Additional Fog Lamp. Any suggestions from anyone would be very helpful.
Old 10th January 2012, 16:43   #950
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing. Except for the one from the plastic in the place of the passenger airbags. That thing keeps rattling once in a while.
I am seriously thinking of a Additional Fog Lamp. Any suggestions from anyone would be very helpful.
Yes I do get the sound from there. Is it not a better idea to upgrade your bulb to 100/90 rather than installing an additional FL. The reason is extra switch, wiring, clamps etc...
Old 11th January 2012, 14:50   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Yes I do get the sound from there. Is it not a better idea to upgrade your bulb to 100/90 rather than installing an additional FL. The reason is extra switch, wiring, clamps etc...
I really doubt the capabilities of the current headlamp design Though i think it is one the the good designs aesthetically, the depth and width of the beam is not really upto the standards i would like. On our roads the opposite car dips his beam 'if and only if' my light causes hindrance to him. The Figo headlamp miserably fails at this and that adds salt to the already weak light beam.

I plan to fix the additional fogs to the position for the rear fog lamps on the switch.

I searched around for options and i here is something simmilar to what i like
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-optilux_model2550_lit.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-ff300.jpg  

Old 13th January 2012, 14:37   #952
Senior - BHPian

Here are the updates. The FF100 shown above is not available in india. We have FF50 and 200 here.

Another option is the Black Magic Series 500. Which looks something like this.

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-512uvwpfd7l._sl500_aa300_.jpg

Looks very attractive but i dont know how good they are to be used as driving lights.

Another thing is that if i am spending around 6-7K for the Hella's will i be able to get HID's at that price. Which would be better for night driving.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 18:42   #953
Senior - BHPian

Hi gemithomas, I am sure the following thread will provide you the answers you're looking for.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tallation.html
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 20:38   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Hi gemithomas, I am sure the following thread will provide you the answers you're looking for.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tallation.html
Thanks a ton. That was a real helpful link.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:09   #955
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update on the ODO reading
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-02022012013.jpg

And here is some of the damage the biker managed to give me.

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-19012012002.jpg

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-19012012003.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2012 at 14:02. Reason: Please continue the discussion on the public forum only, instead of asking members to PM you for more info. Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 23:09   #956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Why through PM? can't it be posted here?
Anyways, however you want to give it, I would be interested
Absolutely. Why PM? Posting in the forum would also help prospective 'buyers on hunt' to get an insight on the long term ownership of the car. You being amongst the first and most run out Figos in Tbhp, who else to run turn to for wisdom?

Gemi, I would like to know about the state of your tyres. Mine is 38k young and I feel that the tyres so badly needs a replacement. How much did yours last? From what i reckon from the pics, i understand that you have changed your tyres. Did you upsize it? I was also thinking of upsizing it to 185/ 65 R 14. What are your views and advices please
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 22:37   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Gemi, I would like to know about the state of your tyres. Mine is 38k young and I feel that the tyres so badly needs a replacement. How much did yours last? From what i reckon from the pics, i understand that you have changed your tyres. Did you upsize it? I was also thinking of upsizing it to 185/ 65 R 14. What are your views and advices please
Mine lasted for only 30K. Had to change due to a crack on one and a leak very close to the sidewall of another. Actually i really wanted to shift to 185/65 but was unable to source that size in time. So finally settled for OEM size. would strongly recommend 185/65 for two reasons.
  • Better Comfort and cushioning effect on bad roads
  • Slightly better Ground Clearance
I really don't thing the steering hardness due to this slight increase would really be noticeable or a thing of concern.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 22:44   #958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mine lasted for only 30K.
would strongly recommend 185/65 for two reasons.
  • Better Comfort and cushioning effect on bad roads
  • Slightly better Ground Clearance
I really don't thing the steering hardness due to this slight increase would really be noticeable or a thing of concern.
Thanks a lot for the finer wisdom. So, I should rather be happy that mine lasted for 38k eh?
Old 6th March 2012, 21:00   #959
BHPian

Gemi, have you faced any suspension issue by now? Whenever i go over huge speed-breakers, i hear a loud noise from the front as if something has broken. Also i feel that after the start of this issue, the car has become extra sensitive over bad roads. No such problem on better roads though. The roads in my city have become suspension killers by the way!

Sad to see the damage to your car. The fogs are safe and the plastic shroud needs to be changed. Which brand new tyres you got for the car? You have clocked a considerable mileage . Have you noticed any change in engine characteristic? From past 1000 kms, sometimes in motion, when i remove my feet from the accelerator completely and press the clutch for changing gears i listen a different kind of engine clatter, as if someone revved it a bit. But at that time, my feet is completely off from the accelerator. What this could be?

BTW, Your Ritz vs Figo Comparo is still pending

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 6th March 2012 at 21:03.
Old 6th March 2012, 21:11   #960

I too started hearing a creaking sound somewhere from above front Tyres,when going over relatively bigger speed breakers. I don't here it if I manage to keep it very slow. I started seeing this from my last kanya kumari trip . Also, I am hearing lot of break noise these days :-(. I need to get it checked soon. Any body else facing similar issues?
I clocked 16.5k so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks