Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 21:46   #886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas
We are thinking of the Jazz as a replacement for our Fusion. But after the Figo experience, the 160mm ground clearance of the Jazz seems like inviting problems at a very high price!!
Get a Punto man, I am sure you will love it.
Old 14th May 2011, 23:16   #887
Team-BHP Support

Re: Test Driving the Competitors 1 year down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post

1.Maruti Suzuki Ritz DDIS
The VDi we got seemed to be a stripped down version of some already cheap hatch. The equipment list was pathetic considering the price we were to pay. The higher seats and the better headroom gave us a "feeling" of more space though. The engine is a gem. But the overall behavior of the car is not confidence inspiring at speeds above 80. To be frank the exteriors look much more bigger than they really are and i have a feeling that i have started to like the looks more than i used to.
I drove a Swift D for some 350 kms last week-end and save for quicker acceleration and eager engine, I would rate the Figo D higher on all parameters.

Quote:
[*]Almost a week after my last post here i got a horrendous hit on the cross member. It was a very small stone (used for tarring the road) lying on the middle of the road. I was really lucky that the oil sump was saved with a very minor scratch.
[*]Was astonished that such a small stone could hit the car. Further investigation revealed that he air in one of my tyres were at 22 psi. That must have caused the GC to go terribly low. Anyways i decided to get the alignment checked again at the same shop as earlier. The readings were not very bad and after getting an opinion from a mechanic decided to run the car on the same cross member and see. (Remember that the A.S.S were sure that i had to change the cross member the last time i visited them). Got the tyres turned around on the same rim so as to make sure i know if there is still an inner tyre wear. The car has done around 4500km since then and the thread wear is acceptable.
Its scary Gemi. I am one of the guys who off-roads too much left with no choice. Though am very careful & have turned back on a couple of occasions.

Quote:
[*]After a lot of pestering at the A.S.S and on the Figo Facebook page they finally agreed to change my brake pads under warranty. Got it done at around 25.5K km. The car has done over 500km on the new pads and there is no sound. The earlier pads used to bite hard once in a while. That does not happen now. The braking is more progressive. I now realise how irritating the noise was with the OEM pads. One thing i noticed (someone else has mentioned the same here) is that the OEM ones did not have the motocraft sticker on them. Hope the sound does not come back.
There is too much brake dust. Hate cleaning it.

Quote:
[*] Average mileage [(total ODO+DTE)/total Fuel put in] is hovering just above 16km/l. The very short trips to office is what drinks quite a lot of fuel. I have a gut feeling that the F.E for these trips would be just around 11km/l
I get same to same

16kmpl overall, on each tank-ful. 100% A/C with a bit of idling.
a) Commuting with 4 on-board
b) Pedal to metal with co-passenger.
c) Commuting

Quote:
OT: We are thinking of the Jazz as a replacement for our Fusion. But after the Figo experience, the 160mm ground clearance of the Jazz seems like inviting problems at a very high price!!
I don't think I can go back to a EPS Car with ease.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:57   #888
Senior - BHPian

Re: Test Driving the Competitors 1 year down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Thanks for the update and feel something has gone wrong in your alignment. Better to have regular checks of the tyre wear

The GC is definitely a major problem in Figo if you happened to drive in bumpy roads.
subconsciously I started drive dead slow when I happen to hit poor quality roads.
The GC issue is really bad if your air pressure falls below 30 psi. 28 is very comfortable for ride but i maintain 30 due to the fear of a hit. Have done around 5K after alignment and the thread wear is acceptable. Its just that if i complain about anything again Ford A.S.S would blindly direct me towards changing he cross member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Get a Punto man, I am sure you will love it.
Over the years i've learnt one thing. Driving another mans FIAT is sheer pleasure. But owning one is not really satisfying.

On a serious note. The Punto/Linea are really good cars. But i really do not want to go through the kind of wait for parts and niggles that the A.S.S has no clue on how to solve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I drove a Swift D for some 350 kms last week-end and save for quicker acceleration and eager engine, I would rate the Figo D higher on all parameters. .
Very True. For a better engine in terms of noise levels, smoothness, F.E, power delivery etc. etc. one should get the DDIS. But for a better "Car" its the Figo compared to the Maruti Twins.
Old 16th May 2011, 23:28   #889
Senior - BHPian

re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher-The Figo TDCi. "1 year and 32000 km"

Hi gemi, I have been a silent reader of this thread with nothing much to contribute so far.

I briefly drove my friend's Figo TDCi Titanium and found it to be a fairly competent all-rounder.

Comparing it to the Punto doesn't make much sense as both are different cars with a price difference of about 1.5 lakh in equivalent version. While the engine doesn't give you the 'shove' of the Fiat Multijet turbo, it's nice and linear. I have had Fiesta TDCi giving me a run for my money on the highway (though not winning outright, the Multijet has more power and torque and it shows in the in-gear accelaration. ), so I am sure the Figo is competent enough for that, being lighter than the Fiesta.

I have noticed that in a year your car has had some 'issues', albeit minor ones. If I remember correctly, in about 30,000 km, the list of replacements on your Adventure was longer than the list on my car at 65,000 km! I am sure you are happier with Ford now rather than Fiat.

I wish you many more miles and smiles with another four letter brand starting with 'F'
Old 17th May 2011, 15:19   #890
Senior - BHPian

re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher-The Figo TDCi. "1 year and 32000 km"

Thanks a lot for the kind words architect. As you rightly said The Figo indeed is a good all rounder. But i always say you wont fall in love with it like you do with a FIAT. Fiats are more involving and you easily bond with the car. The Figo is just a car. And that helps a lot when it comes to dealing with those small niggles.
Old 18th May 2011, 19:35   #891
RGK
Senior - BHPian

As said in previous post, one would love to drive Fiat rather than owning it
Old 27th May 2011, 21:59   #892
Senior - BHPian

After 28000KM.
  • A Cracked tyre that cant be used.
  • One tyre with a puncture at the edge that needs a refix every 800-1000km (have done it thrice now).
  • Some squeaks from the dash and the roof lining (just above driver seat).
  • Some audible cries from the shocks especially in mornings and at slow speeds
  • The sound from the a/c fan bearing is back

Otherwise enjoying every bit of the good car.

I would like to say this again. I think Ford has gone over the edge with the 10K service interval. The car starts feeling much more noisier and rough after around 7.5K km.

Almost 90% of the last 2000km was done on NH47 in kerala (i would call it semi highways) and i got my till date best DTE+Trip meter reading of 788km on a full tank. F.E during the last 2000km has been around 18-19km/l This has made me realize that the best way to get high F.E is to do longer runs on better roads. Short Trips makes the TDCi engine literally DRINK DIESEL.
Old 27th May 2011, 22:18   #893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would like to say this again. I think Ford has gone over the edge with the 10K service interval. The car starts feeling much more noisier and rough after around 7.5K km.
I think I am going to stick to an interval of 5,000 kms oil change and if required filter change. Would stick to this post 2nd service.

Quote:
Almost 90% of the last 2000km was done on NH47 in kerala (i would call it semi highways) and i got my till date best DTE+Trip meter reading of 788km on a full tank. F.E during the last 2000km has been around 18-19km/l This has made me realize that the best way to get high F.E is to do longer runs on better roads. Short Trips makes the TDCi engine literally DRINK DIESEL.
It simply drinks diesel whereas on highways, if you aren't into boy racer mode (but are still fast), the fuel needle refuses to budge.

Boy racer Mode = 13kmpl (Full pedal to metal with revs over 3,500 rpm ALWAYS)
Old 28th May 2011, 08:07   #894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After 28000KM. [list]

This has made me realize that the best way to get high F.E is to do longer runs on better roads. Short Trips makes the TDCi engine literally DRINK DIESEL.
Congrats on your mile munching. I think yours would be one of the longest run Figo. (Just to add as a tail piece, i had read and re read this thread many a times to reach my decision of which car to buy. I am sure there would be many others too to whom you have been the leading light.)

I also agree with you. Especially after 15000 kms the F.E has come down noticeably.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:13   #895
BHPian

Well said about the TDCi drinking habits. Even on a highway like those in kerala, it gives exceptional mileage. But try very short trips of say 10 kms on the very same roads and the mileage drops.

The roof lining vibration is also heard on our Fiesta and was fixed in service. It mainly comes at 1500 rpm on 5th gear. Thankfully no other rattles as yet.

The shocks sound also seems to be a normal issue in all Fords specially in the first few minutes of a morning drive. It goes away after 2-3 mins.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:03   #896
BHPian

I am one happy owner of Figo I guess. I have not experienced any major issues on my figo. Have run 25383kms today in the last 10months.
I do oil change, oil filter and air filter change in every 5000kms (roughly 2months). guess that is helping. Had a rattling problem (under the tray where titanium has airbags) on dashboard that is rectified now. Engine Noise is there but not too obtrusive or discomforting(doesn't every diesel have it ?).
I use the AC and the music system (both are awesome) almost 100% of the time. These things have an insulating effect on the engine noise i guess. Anyways I am going to try a DIY with sound deadening materials on the engine noise.

I am on goodyear. the tyres are as good as new. In contrast to those tyres on our linea which are at 20k on the odo and looks half eaten up.

@ gemi yours write ups turned the tide against punto (or fiat) for me and in favor of figo (Although we have a linea also in the family). After all even i needed hassle free ownership and reliability. I am happy with the figo. I must say I love going on long drives on this than in my linea. its fun.
Old 28th May 2011, 15:40   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas
After 28000KM. [*]Some squeaks from the dash and the roof lining (just above driver seat).[*]Some audible cries from the shocks especially in mornings and at slow speeds
The roof lining squeak resolved in my car after putting in some soft packing material under the roof lining. Details in page 273 of the Figo official review thread.

Twice, on moving the car after being idle for 2-3 days, I have heard " thwang " sound from probably the suspension. It was quite loud that I stopped the car and checked underneath. Probably related to the cries from the suspensions you get in the mornings
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 21:45   #898
BHPian

Dear Gemi,

While I too have been a silent reader of your thread from long, I have lost my patience today.

Not just you but several other BHPians here own a Figo and are merrily comparing it with cars of all makes and sizes, especially Fiats.

What leaves me shocked to no end is the fact that while every Figo owner is being troubled with some problem or the other by their oh-so-lovely Figo, none of them is advicing not to go for it. Does Ford use any additives in the car perfume that mesmerises the owner, that despite of niggles he wouldn't utter anything wrong about the car?

Yes, you guys own this car and no one can know it better than you yourselves. But is it not wrong on your part as these posts are also read by people who rely on your advice to buy a truly reliable, niggle-free, amazing piece of automobile and they can be influenced - negatively - by such posts.

P.S. - Similar niggles in Tata is seen as lack of quality and overlooking niggles in a Fiat is considered Fanboy-ism, while the Figo 'is a good all-rounder'.

No Offence Meant.
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 22:00   #899
Senior - BHPian

Each and every car in India has some or the other problem including BMW's and Mercs. Swift rattles too but it sells more than 12k units a month and it doesn't mean its a bad car.

The problem with TATA is they don't fix the issue. While other companies are taking action TATA is neglecting the fact their cars have a problem.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:22   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Dear Gemi,

While I too have been a silent reader of your thread from long, I have lost my patience today.

Not just you but several other BHPians here own a Figo and are merrily comparing it with cars of all makes and sizes, especially Fiats.

What leaves me shocked to no end is the fact that while every Figo owner is being troubled with some problem or the other by their oh-so-lovely Figo, none of them is advicing not to go for it. Does Ford use any additives in the car perfume that mesmerises the owner, that despite of niggles he wouldn't utter anything wrong about the car?

Yes, you guys own this car and no one can know it better than you yourselves. But is it not wrong on your part as these posts are also read by people who rely on your advice to buy a truly reliable, niggle-free, amazing piece of automobile and they can be influenced - negatively - by such posts.

P.S. - Similar niggles in Tata is seen as lack of quality and overlooking niggles in a Fiat is considered Fanboy-ism, while the Figo 'is a good all-rounder'.

No Offence Meant.
Dear Sankalp,

I would send a PM to Gemi to apologize you for this near genocidal attitude of his'. Also, I urge all the figo owners to send you a collective apology mail to sankalp for forgetting that this is a ownership experience thread and that reporting a few niggles is a crime.

I also strongly suggest to all the Figo owners to not to recommend Figo to anyone else. Should sankalp allow us we would continue to report the niggles here else we ask someone to close this thread!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks