Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 22:22   #811
Team-BHP Support

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Figo TDCi. EDIT: 18,000 km upd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Got the Philips Lighting Kit from Ford. Its a set of headlight bulbs, park light bulbs and Fog lamp bulbs. Fitted just the headlight bulbs. Rest to be fixed during 20K service next week.

The light is slightly whiter. Would still not force oncoming traffic to dim their beams.
Won't this hamper visibility in foggy/rainy conditions?
Old 24th February 2011, 22:53   #812
Senior - BHPian

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Figo TDCi. EDIT: 18,000 km upd

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
thats cool. How much did it cost?
And is there a great improvement in illumination?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Gemi,
Even With my ikons 130watts shining directly onto the faces , these idiots are not ready to flick the switch.Now i'm wondering to what i should upgrade to make them dip. Either they don't know how to dip or simply would not do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Won't this hamper visibility in foggy/rainy conditions?
The set would cost you a dear 2.5K. The headlight and Fog bulbs are 4000K bulbs made in Germany. Will update on the performance once i have got the fogs too. Currently have got only the headlamp bulbs fitted. It surely is better than the ones that came with the car. But for those idiots to dim their lights i would need another set of fogs focused for them

I really dont know how bad they would be in fog or rain. Hope they dont spoil the show with their performance during rains. Anyone has experience of this?

Here are some updates on the Cost of Fog lamps.

The newer cars come with the headlamp switch with fog lamp facility and wiring that reaches the engine bay. The new kit has only the fog lamps and the wiring harness for that. So the new price list is applicable only to new cars.

Older car owners will have to pay the older price since we have to change the switch too and a little more of the wiring harness

Last edited by gemithomas : 24th February 2011 at 23:04.
Old 24th February 2011, 22:57   #813
Team-BHP Support

Anyone knows if that usb cable accessory can be used with ipod/iphone?
Old 24th February 2011, 23:07   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Anyone knows if that usb cable accessory can be used with ipod/iphone?
Why cant you use to aux to play songs from i-pod/i-phone. The USB connector would not the the type that come on these devices. Moreover since the play function is carried out in the i-pod/i-phone you would not need the USB channel to play it.
Old 24th February 2011, 23:13   #815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Why cant you use to aux to play songs from i-pod/i-phone. The USB connector would not the the type that come on these devices. Moreover since the play function is carried out in the i-pod/i-phone you would not need the USB channel to play it.
Changing songs on the ipod/iphone is difficult while driving. Changing from the HU is easier.
Old 25th February 2011, 07:39   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Changing songs on the ipod/iphone is difficult while driving. Changing from the HU is easier.
If you are able to get a converter cable for the normal USB to the type that comes on the ipod. It should surely be possible.
Old 26th February 2011, 22:07   #817
BHPian

Hi Gemi Thomas, Thanks for this excellent thread. I greatly appreciate your dedication for keeping it updated. It is great repository of FIGOmation. THANK YOU!

After great deal of thinking/confusion/test driving, I just booked a White Tdci Titanium Figo - as it appeared to meet all my criteria on a above average way. One of my research dimensions was going through this thread (every post). I read through your updates/comments and kept wondering why are not upgrading your headlamps . Happy to see now that you have taken the step. Look forward to hearing from you on their performance.

About the FOG LAMPS - I enquired at Rajshree Ford (Coimbatore) and they quoted me 4500 Rs. However, I noticed from the posts that it is only 2900. Not sure if they are unaware of the change or trying to rip me off?

Seems like FIGO's are selling well. Got absolutely no discounts - except for the extended warranty (after a lot of cribbing/haggling). The white has a long wait time (Mar 20th). I hope I can get one before that. I am getting this car for my wife and she absolutely loved the white colour.

Need some advice from T-BHP Figo owner -

- Should I get the essential kit (Mud flaps, mats etc.) : The reason I ask is because I hear mud flaps break easily and that Ford mats wear in 6 mo? Is this worth it or do I get the same outside?

- Is it worth getting the Option pack (alloys, seat covers and fog lamp). I dont like the seat cover options at Ford. If it is better to buy outside, can someone suggest a cheap yet good brand of alloys?

- Did anyone upsize tires for their Figo? How much can one upsize safely without voiding warranty? Can I go upto 195 width? Which brand is good? Also Gemi you had mentioned that you want to get 15" alloys - would that not void the warranty /upset the suspension setup?

- Can someone recommend a good tire/alloy shop in Coimbatore?

- Is there a Figo specific Pre-delivery checklist?

Thanks a lot and I look forward to contributing here.
Old 27th February 2011, 02:46   #818
BHPian

Hi Gemi, do post your experience with the new set of Philips bulbs. And sad to hear about the fog pricing for the old batch of cars, hmmm, will have to live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Need some advice from T-BHP Figo owner -

- Should I get the essential kit (Mud flaps, mats etc.) : The reason I ask is because I hear mud flaps break easily and that Ford mats wear in 6 mo? Is this worth it or do I get the same outside?
The mud flaps on my car have been in tact for 6 months now without issues. Heard that the newer ones are more flexible compared to the older ones, hence less susceptible to breaking off. The mats are carpet mats and the ones on mine are still looking good. They are certainly not superior quality, but OK. Now I have a set of Packy poda mats over them.

- Is it worth getting the Option pack (alloys, seat covers and fog lamp). I dont like the seat cover options at Ford. If it is better to buy outside, can someone suggest a cheap yet good brand of alloys?
This I would recommend only if you do not have sufficient time to hunt for these individually in the after market. Personally I don't like the Ford alloys and they are too shiny for my taste. I would suggest you get the fogs at the dealer and the rest from reputable stores. Seat cover options are various. As for alloys, try the designs (108 PCD) from Hijoin, Lenso, Plati etc. A set of 4 should be around 14K, and you get to chose from a variety of designs as well

- Did anyone upsize tires for their Figo? How much can one upsize safely without voiding warranty? Can I go upto 195 width? Which brand is good? Also Gemi you had mentioned that you want to get 15" alloys - would that not void the warranty /upset the suspension setup?
There is no safe upsize in terms of warranty Ford says you lose your warranty whatever size alterations you make, so it's your call. There are few members here who have upsized their tires. 195 would be too much for the Figo. 185 would be a better option.

- Can someone recommend a good tire/alloy shop in Coimbatore?
Sorry, no idea.

- Is there a Figo specific Pre-delivery checklist?
Not aware of any
My replies in bold. Drive safe.

Last edited by jayded : 27th February 2011 at 02:47.
Old 27th February 2011, 13:35   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gemi Thomas, Thanks for this excellent thread. I greatly appreciate your dedication for keeping it updated. It is great repository of FIGOmation. THANK YOU!
THanks a lot. I would like to mention that i got this feature in me [ ] from a group called Palio Users Group on yahoogroups. Its there that i learnt of the happiness in "selfless Giving". I just feel good when i know that one of my posts has helped someone out there. Thanks a lot. And congrats. You have made a right choice. Just keep in mind one thing about the Figo. Its not a great car in any sense. But ask it to do anything that a car should do and it would not let you down. Its a very practical value for money car. And one thing i love about it is that it made a lot of Indian Customers understand that "value" is not just about feeling or being "Cheap".

About your doubts, here are my comments in Bold

Quote:
About the FOG LAMPS - I enquired at Rajshree Ford (Coimbatore) and they quoted me 4500 Rs. However, I noticed from the posts that it is only 2900. Not sure if they are unaware of the change or trying to rip me off?

Once you get to see your car just check the headlight switch that comes on the dash. If it can be pulled up to turn on the fog lamps you are eligible for the new price list of Rs.2900/-. If the switch does not have that feature you would have to pay the old price of around Rs.4500/-

Should I get the essential kit (Mud flaps, mats etc.) : The reason I ask is because I hear mud flaps break easily and that Ford mats wear in 6 mo? Is this worth it or do I get the same outside?

I would say dont go for the essential kit. Get the OEM Mud flaps separately. I think they cost just around 500 odd rupees. If you want to be extra sure that they wont break get the front ones cut by an inch from the lower part before fitting. You can get some good mats fro outside.

Is it worth getting the Option pack (alloys, seat covers and fog lamp). I dont like the seat cover options at Ford. If it is better to buy outside, can someone suggest a cheap yet good brand of alloys?

Did anyone upsize tires for their Figo? How much can one upsize safely without voiding warranty? Can I go upto 195 width? Which brand is good? Also Gemi you had mentioned that you want to get 15" alloys - would that not void the warranty /upset the suspension setup?

Fully Agree with Jayded.

I might not go for 15 inchers due to the fear of loosing the ride comfort. I might stick to 195/60 R14 or 185/65 R14. Its been very long a pending thing. Money always comes in between us when it comes to Alloys

Can someone recommend a good tire/alloy shop in Coimbatore?

No idea

Is there a Figo specific Pre-delivery checklist?

Nothing specific. You might just want to check a few cars for the headlight switch since i dont know on since which batch they have started fitting the fog enabled ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi Gemi, do post your experience with the new set of Philips bulbs. And sad to hear about the fog pricing for the old batch of cars, hmmm, will have to live with it.
I will be fitting the fogs only this week. I have driven around for a week with just the philips headlight bulbs installed and here are my observations
  • There surely is perceivably better spread and length for the light than the OEM bulbs
  • The light is more whiter than OEM ones and hence it feels more brighter. Philips claims 30% brighter but i really cant give a mathematical figure to it. It feels a little brighter thats all i can say.
  • Have not had any experience in rain/fog and hence i am still apprehensive of how the whitish light might behave in such situations.
  • Some of the on coming traffic dims their beams if i show them my high beam. Thats a really good sign as far as i am concerned. But there are still a lot more of idiotic drivers who deserve to be treated with a dedicated Fog or 90/100 bulbs. The earlier bulbs never had any impact on the on coming traffic.

Overall i would recommend the upgrade to all those who do night drives on highways

If you dont care about the warranty "stick" by Ford get those genuinely good 90/100 bulbs with a relay and ceramic holders. But you will have to cut (or do away with) the black cover that the OEM headlights console has just behind the bulbs installation point.
Old 28th February 2011, 14:43   #820
BHPian

Thanks Jayded and Gemi for your suggestions. I am just crossing my fingers and waiting for the car. Hope it will won't the full one month.
Old 1st March 2011, 15:11   #821
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Good Gemi that you have got out of this original candle lights of figo. But 100/90 is better always.

@ rohing - Welcome to this club. I have taken delivery from Rajshree only you can visit my thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...figo-club.html

Jayded & Gemi has given the appropriate advice on mats and other optional kits.

Regarding alloys, Rajshree has a tie up with one tyre dealer where you can get a better deal. Also enquire at Koyas, Sun combines and some shops near stadium.

As gemi rightly said, money comes before alloys.

My advice would be always do mats including full carpet mat, alloys, seat covers when the car is very new.

Check with your insurance value (IDV) of your car. Rajshree does quote a low value of the car for insurance. Know the SM well,. If needed PM me to get his contact no.

White is always best and Good luck. Hoping for your ownership thread.
Old 1st March 2011, 23:20   #822
BHPian

Hi RGK, thanks for your input. Appreciate it! I am just reading through your thread and have ways to go.

Can you elaborate a little more on the insurance part? I did not ask for any specs for the insurance from Rajshree. Should I be asking for IDV? Is this customizable or fixed by Ford/Dealer?

Also noticed in your thread that you got the insurance from New India and the price you mentioned is about 3K cheaper than Ford. The Sales person mentioned that theirs is a cashless option whereas all other "external" insurance will work differently.

Also came across 0% depreciation TATA AIG insurance in some Figo threads. Can some one explain what this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Good Gemi that you have got out of this original candle lights of figo. But 100/90 is better always.

@ rohing - Welcome to this club. I have taken delivery from Rajshree only you can visit my thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...figo-club.html

Jayded & Gemi has given the appropriate advice on mats and other optional kits.

Regarding alloys, Rajshree has a tie up with one tyre dealer where you can get a better deal. Also enquire at Koyas, Sun combines and some shops near stadium.

As gemi rightly said, money comes before alloys.

My advice would be always do mats including full carpet mat, alloys, seat covers when the car is very new.

Check with your insurance value (IDV) of your car. Rajshree does quote a low value of the car for insurance. Know the SM well,. If needed PM me to get his contact no.

White is always best and Good luck. Hoping for your ownership thread.
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:21   #823
BHPian

Rohing, please look at the below thread for elaborate info on car insurance.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ight=insurance

Go through Tata AIG website and they have a good material explaining zero depreciation feature. The above link also explains zero dep in good detail.

Ideally your first year IDV is the ex-showroom price of the car, and should depreciate at least 10% every year.

Bajaj Allianz, Tata AIG and Bharti provide zero depreciation policies. I think Royal Sundarm also does, but not very sure. I suggest you talk to the dealer first and see if he would waive off the entire amount quoted towards insurance in case you want to get insurance yourself. If dealer is OK to do so, then shop around for best quotes.

Cashless facility is a tie up between the insurance provider and the service center you would visit for your car maintenance/repairs. If its a ford service center, I think many insurance providers will have tie up - so, ask your insurance provider/agent for tie up info with your dealer's service center, or the SC you would visit later on. What sales person has told you seems incorrect, and a try to persuade you to go with him for insurance.

I have upgraded my Figo tyres to 185/65 R14 Yoko C drives. I also have 14" Neo alloys (Twister design), and the combination of alloy and tyres looks pretty good on my Sea Grey Figo.

However, on rainy days, 185 tyres repel lot of muck on to the exterior bottom of the doors and running board; meaning 185 itself are sufficiently wide for the Figo.. so, 195 would be a overkill I guess. Regarding the grip/handling aspect, I'm not sure of 195s. You may check some other Figo ownership threads, I think one of them have upgraded to 195s.

Last edited by SMK_BLR : 2nd March 2011 at 11:25.
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:51   #824
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Yes Rohing. My Insurance with 3k cheaper from others but found the IDV value quoted lower than the Ex-showroom price. There is a buffer to reduce the value of the vehicle and get it insured.

The insurance thread and the input given by SMKBLR helps a lot. Just talk to the dealer on the insurance part and get it done.

Better to have multiple options for insurance & alloys and pick the one which suits the most. Almost all sales guys will try to push thro what they have.

@SMK - Yes. It happens for all cars due to the lesser width of the wheel arch mud guard designed for the OEM tire width, the mud spray is more on the running board and platform.
But need to get cleaned after a rainy day drive as the Indian roads have more dust and mud than black top.
Old 3rd March 2011, 21:14   #825
BHPian

Thanks SMK_BLR. The insurance thread is very informative and I started doing due diligence to get the rates on the same.

Today, I visited a few car accessory shops to get ballpark rates on alloys, tires etc. Posting it here to get feedback and also for others who might be wanting to upgrade to alloys or tires -

14" alloys (Several Taiwan/German brands) - 13500 - 14000 Rs for set of 4

Tyres (185/65/R14)
---------------------
Michelin XM1+ - 3800 Rs/- ea
Continental CPC2 - 4400 Rs/- ea
Yokohoma ES 100 series - 4200 Rs/- ea

I was offered Rs. 1800 - 2000 for Goodyear tires and about 2250 for MRF or appollo? Is this reasonable? Their original sale price is close to Rs.3200!

Btw, the difference in price between 175/65/R14 was only Rs.50!!!

3M front windshield film - Rs 6300

Rubber mats (all 4) - Rs 650

Most Viewed