Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 22:51   #721
Senior - BHPian

^^ I dont know if I am right, but the extra dust in the air would actually get into turbo (other reasons include improper sealing in some cases) and these particles would actually clog the turbo propellers.

Correct me if I am wrong! This is what I understood from the the research I have been doing for last one week!
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:08   #722
Senior - BHPian

12345 KM Update.

Here comes the update after crossing 12345 KM
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-imag-medium.jpg

The biggest lie anyone can tell you is that you can save money by buying a diesel car. A diesel car would burn your pocket by close to an extra lakh when you buy it. And then you would run a bare minimum of 500km a month extra just because it is a diesel. At around Rs.3 per km. This translates to around Rs.1500 per month. I used to barely touch 1100km a month when i had my adventure (A vehicle i loved to drive and took it out at every opportunity i get). And now with the TDCi Figo i am doing close to 1800km a month. The positive side of this is that i dont miss visiting anyone. And i dont feel worried while i drive in/out of a fuel station. So if someone tells you that you would psychologically feel good with a diesel car in your garage...well he is very true.

The excel sheet in which i note down my diesel fills tells me that i have already put in around 773 liters of Diesel into that tank!!!! It also means that i am getting an average mileage of around 16.5km/l. Thats something i am very much satisfied with. After the 9-10km average my adventure used to give me, this is heaven.

The Figo lets you down in a few places
  • The Headlights that could be more brighter for the nights
  • The Ground Clearance that keeps nagging you on bad roads
  • The Very Submissive looks especially on highways
  • The Engine noise especially when cold and idling
  • The Seats that could be just a little more comfortable especially for long drives
  • The bumpers that ensure you loose some money at every smallest mistake
But then i look at the price i paid and i look around for something better to buy. But close to 8 months down the line i still cant find anything better without burning a hole in my pocket.

I've said it earlier. And i'll say it again. The Figo is a Jack of all trades. Ask it to do anything you expect a small car to do. And it would do it in an above average manner. Ask me what the car is BEST for. I'll point at your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
^^ I dont know if I am right, but the extra dust in the air would actually get into turbo (other reasons include improper sealing in some cases) and these particles would actually clog the turbo propellers.

Correct me if I am wrong! This is what I understood from the the research I have been doing for last one week!
thanks for the update. would surely do some more research before any such mods.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd November 2010 at 11:15. Reason: extra smiley removed
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:24   #723
BHPian

I've driven my Figo just around 3000 km thus far, but I feel quite satisfied with the "diesel" experience!
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:20   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The biggest lie anyone can tell you is that you can save money by buying a diesel car. A diesel car would burn your pocket by close to an extra lakh when you buy it. And then you would run a bare minimum of 500km a month extra just because it is a diesel. At around Rs.3 per km. This translates to around Rs.1500 per month. I used to barely touch 1100km a month when i had my adventure (A vehicle i loved to drive and took it out at every opportunity i get). And now with the TDCi Figo i am doing close to 1800km a month. The positive side of this is that i dont miss visiting anyone. And i dont feel worried while i drive in/out of a fuel station. So if someone tells you that you would psychologically feel good with a diesel car in your garage...well he is very true.
I was in the exact same spot, and I decided to go for the petrol. Increasing your overall costs (without any pressing need to do so) to get better mileage didnt make sense to me.
I hope the Petrol doesnt become the obsolete variant like the Indica.

Quote:
But then i look at the price i paid and i look around for something better to buy. But close to 8 months down the line i still cant find anything better without burning a hole in my pocket.

I've said it earlier. And i'll say it again. The Figo is a Jack of all trades. Ask it to do anything you expect a small car to do. And it would do it in an above average manner. Ask me what the car is BEST for. I'll point at your money.
Ditto - most others in this class have at least one major negative which puts you off.

I talked with a few of my colleagues in US, and they say Ford has the exact reputation there - no major WoW factor, but cheap & practical in every sense.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:11   #725
BHPian

I think the Figo is a major hit because it is perceived as a value for money car. The advertising is staid and boring, but the brand is such a major success story of 2010, with over 50,000 vehicles sold and exports being planned to almost 50 countries from next year.
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:35   #726
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly my thoughts that pushed me in favour of a diesel. The only doubt I had in my mind back in april, was the resale value. Will figo D give me a resale value similar to what a swift D offers (atleast in the similar range)? Now that Figo's are selling so well, I have no doubts that I am going to get a good resale value though I am in no mood to sell her even after 5 more years

Gemi, Congrats on completing 12345 kms, my figo shows 91xx kms on the odo, will update my ownership thread after the second service.
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:08   #727
BHPian

As usual - you've hit the nail on the head.

One consolation - you will get the ROI when you sell back your car.

In business - you can have a hefty Capital expenditure, but the trick is to keep the running expenses in check. And a diesel car does that wonderfully.
Old 4th November 2010, 12:33   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The biggest lie anyone can tell you is that you can save money by buying a diesel car. A diesel car would burn your pocket by close to an extra lakh when you buy it. And then you would run a bare minimum of 500km a month extra just because it is a diesel. At around Rs.3 per km. This translates to around Rs.1500 per month.
So if someone tells you that you would psychologically feel good with a diesel car in your garage...well he is very true.
It also means that i am getting an average mileage of around 16.5km/l.
Hi Gemi, congrats on completing the significant milestone of 12345. I am sure this does make one feel special after passing this milestone.

Your thread has indeed served as a repository of information which one would want, when one thinks of buying Figo. It has every minute details required and answers for all queries w.r.t. Figo TDCi.
I have been following your thread well as I am also planning for an upgrade to Figo down the line.
BTW 16.5 is a great mileage.

Quote:
The Figo lets you down in a few places
  • The Headlights that could be more brighter for the nights
  • The Ground Clearance that keeps nagging you on bad roads
  • The Very Submissive looks especially on highways
  • The Engine noise especially when cold and idling
  • The Seats that could be just a little more comfortable especially for long drives
  • The bumpers that ensure you loose some money at every smallest mistake
Points noted, but anyway one knows these right from the day one that he buys the car. Are there any negative points that you have come across say after completing 12K that a potential users has to make note of..
Old 4th November 2010, 13:12   #729
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gemi for your update.
Yes the points are spot on. I changed to Philips extreme power 60/55w and it is better than stock lights. Please do not that it will illuminate the black top.
To add - Reverse is not efficient as it should be (someone has already pointed out)
The best two things are
1. Excellent A/c
2. Boot space.
So far done many airport pickup & drop and it gallops luggages in one shot..
Old 4th November 2010, 13:14   #730
BHPian

Quote:
The bumpers that ensure you loose some money at every smallest mistake
My experience is different. A week back a motor cyclist banged from behind while stopping at a signal. The thud was loud and the fellow fell down ( luckily no injuries) .But there was no dent whatsoever on the bumper and all I could see was the tyre impression on the bumper which went off after a wash. A few very minor scratches only are seen. Any other car, there would have been a big dent.

The bumper looks flimsy but it has been built with high quality plastics which absorb the energy well.
Old 4th November 2010, 19:19   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
My experience is different. A week back a motor cyclist banged from behind while stopping at a signal. The thud was loud and the fellow fell down ( luckily no injuries) .But there was no dent whatsoever on the bumper and all I could see was the tyre impression on the bumper which went off after a wash. A few very minor scratches only are seen. Any other car, there would have been a big dent.

The bumper looks flimsy but it has been built with high quality plastics which absorb the energy well.

I think gemithomas is talking about the front bumper and not the rear.And this weak front bumper issue is present in almost all modern cars because of the pedestrian safety norms which require maximum impact to be borne by the car and not the victim
Old 9th November 2010, 14:16   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post

My experience exactly.
In my case, the impact was in the middle. I would like to see how it handles impacts at the corners.
Old 14th November 2010, 17:30   #733
BHPian

Another drawback that I read in the forums,

1. The car jerks at the switch on of Air conditioner compressor mid journey.

I read its more pronounced on the petrol versions. Does it happen on the diesel too?Hope Gemi can clarify.

Is the GC really low and affects day to day highway driving or does it only happen on full load.

Hope you can clarify.
Old 14th November 2010, 21:09   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh_ny View Post

I read its more pronounced on the petrol versions. Does it happen on the diesel too?Hope Gemi can clarify.

Is the GC really low and affects day to day highway driving or does it only happen on full load.

Hope you can clarify.
I Have driven the petrol version over 7500 kms with 100% ac. I have never felt the compressor switching on/off. I have not felt any loss of power and for that matter even the engine rpm doesn't change when you switch on the ac.

GC is an issue with wide speed breakers, probably due to the combination of slightly lower GC and longer wheel base. If you are travelling with 5 pax, keep the tyre pressure at around 38-40 psi.
Old 14th November 2010, 21:16   #735

Quote:

I got a diesel and never really noticed any jerk. Maybe i never had that in mind. Will check this specifically and let you know

Quote:
I scrapped it on the first day. The load was 5 adults and 3 children on a really high speed braker. After that, never.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks