Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 15:30   #706
Senior - BHPian

Silicon Glaze-ed @ 12K km

Just crossed 12K and i decided its time to get her Glazed. Not that the RED was not just enough

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-10-medium.jpg

Used Amway Silicon Glaze that was left from what i used on my advy. Took around 2 hours for the glazing work which was quite easy since i had got her washed the previous day.

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-11-medium.jpg

I'm quite happy with the outcome.

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-12-medium.jpg

As for events. I managed to bend one of my rims when i missed a HUGE pothole in the middle of the highway. Luckily the tyre did not loose air else i would have ended up in a difficult situation on the highway at the middle of the night. Got the rim straightened with a few good hammering. Got that tyre balanced and put it back. Now need to check for any slow air loss.

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-13-medium.jpg

Thats all for now. Keep Figoing.
Old 25th October 2010, 01:14   #707
BHPian

Looks red hot! Good work there

By the way have you not applied sunfilm on your car yet? Claustrophobia, or just not felt the need?
Old 25th October 2010, 08:20   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Looks red hot! Good work there

By the way have you not applied sunfilm on your car yet? Claustrophobia, or just not felt the need?
None of our cars have had sun films. Though i feel the need quite often, driving my friends sun filmed cars in night make me think otherwise. I just dont feel confident at night with a sun filmed car.

Actually I've got a small list of things to do when ever i find the time and money.

- Faux Leather Seat Covers
- 15 inch Alloys with 195 tyres
- K&N Filter
- Petes Box

The 40K price tag for the petes box is quite disturbing. But i have a feeling it would take the car to a whole new level
Old 25th October 2010, 08:58   #709
Team-BHP Support

It is shining, the amway has always done wonders for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
None of our cars have had sun films. Though i feel the need quite often, driving my friends sun filmed cars in night make me think otherwise. I just dont feel confident at night with a sun filmed car.
Err, why not go the SUV's way(20L+). Tint the rear window with the minimum tint you can find, leave the front window glass bare.(driver & co-driver's glass)

Quote:
Actually I've got a small list of things to do when ever i find the time and money.

- K&N Filter
- Petes Box

The 40K price tag for the petes box is quite disturbing. But i have a feeling it would take the car to a whole new level
Lovely list.
Can rear wipers be fitted w/o hassle at the dealer-ship?
Old 25th October 2010, 11:53   #710
BHPian

Quote:

- K&N Filter
- Petes Box

That's the kind of (wish) list I too have in mind
Will be moving to alloys before the year end and hopefully get the seat covers too by then.
Tuning box, hmmm, Pete's is most probably a no for me, 40K is a bit too much for my economic stability. But forget Pete's, I've been drooling over the figures from the Chipexpress site for quite some time now. It claims 93 BHP/214 Nm compared to the 82/190 from a Pete's, and costs around 10K lesser. We're talking about an i20 CRDi engine in the Figo.
I'm taking a lottery today!

Last edited by jayded : 25th October 2010 at 11:54.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:27   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Err, why not go the SUV's way(20L+). Tint the rear window with the minimum tint you can find, leave the front window glass bare.(driver & co-driver's glass)
Would that not look a bit awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can rear wipers be fitted w/o hassle at the dealer-ship?
Dont think so. Coz its not an easy procedure and might just not be economical too. You need to change the rear glass, do the whole wiring, bring in the water tubes, change he wiper lever. It's just too much work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Tuning box, hmmm, Pete's is most probably a no for me, 40K is a bit too much for my economic stability. But forget Pete's, I've been drooling over the figures from the Chipexpress site for quite some time now. It claims 93 BHP/214 Nm compared to the 82/190 from a Pete's, and costs around 10K lesser. We're talking about an i20 CRDi engine in the Figo.
I'm taking a lottery today!
I had seen this chip express site sometime back when i was researching on tuning boxes. But i could not find any dealer here. Is there any place nearby where you can get it. Coz i would not want to depend on our postal services for something that costs that much. And having no contact point here makes it a very risky affair in case something goes wrong with the chip.

Here is one more pic i took today morning. Mirror Mirror on the Ford...
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc04863-large.jpg
Old 28th October 2010, 09:25   #712
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful Gemi... You should promise one that your car has done 12k. Initially before sun film , I do had that apprehension of night driving, but now got used to it.
Certainly it will help during summer. I think you can go for light tints of good quality.
Yes. Alloys are in my list especially after seeing Vigneshram's star type.. When I talk about alloys i get a harsh look from my home minister...
Old 28th October 2010, 12:39   #713
Senior - BHPian

Gemi, do you have any first hand experience on the K&N filters? Are they adviceable? I am reading some conflicting reviews about the same. Want to know your views! I did see that you tried procuring them for your Palio, but not sure if you did!
Old 30th October 2010, 20:18   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Wonderful Gemi... You should promise one that your car has done 12k. Initially before sun film , I do had that apprehension of night driving, but now got used to it.
Certainly it will help during summer. I think you can go for light tints of good quality.
Yes. Alloys are in my list especially after seeing Vigneshram's star type.. When I talk about alloys i get a harsh look from my home minister...
Yeah. I too liked those. A good set of alloys and wider tyres would give the car the character it really needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Gemi, do you have any first hand experience on the K&N filters? Are they adviceable? I am reading some conflicting reviews about the same. Want to know your views! I did see that you tried procuring them for your Palio, but not sure if you did!
I dont have any first hand experience on K&N. I planned to get one for my Adventure but decided against it at the last moment due to the unpardoning nature of Fiat's. Many told me a minor irritant's that crop up once you start modifying anything on a FIAT.

There are varied opinions on after market air filters. For sure it would let in more impurities into the engine along with the extra air. But how bad it is for the engine is debatable. To me i dont think i would be using the car for more than 1 lakh km or 6 years. And i really dont think an after market filter could kill the engine in that time. Maybe an after market filter might reduce the engine life from 2-3lakh km to 1.5-2.5lakh km. But i really dont think its that bad.
Old 30th October 2010, 23:52   #715
Team-BHP Support

With a petrol engine going for a K&N drop in filter is really not a big problem. It improves overall driveability and the engine feels quite free.

In case of turbo diesels you need to be careful as there are more variables. I've seen SWift D's with K&N spewing out black smoke and have heard of turbo issues.

That's worst case ofcourse.

Would suggest to leave it as is. The Figo isn't a great performer anyways and a filter is not going to change that by much,
Old 31st October 2010, 00:03   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
In case of turbo diesels you need to be careful as there are more variables. I've seen SWift D's with K&N spewing out black smoke
Must be a choked filter.

The downside of these filters with turbo diesels is that they get choked too soon. Needs cleaning in every 3k km.

Gemi:
Blue box for Figo costs 40k ??

Last edited by kpzen : 31st October 2010 at 00:04.
Old 31st October 2010, 13:30   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Gemi:
Rs. 43,500 on the website - Pete's Tuning Box - Ford Fiesta . Very pricey in my opinion.

On another note, Gemi;
My front windshield wiper (only the drivers side), is bit erratic and 'jumps' during its motion, leaving wet marks/streaks and making driving difficult. I've changed the wiper blade twice but still the same. I'm pretty much new to car ownership, this being my first, but whats going wrong here?
Old 31st October 2010, 14:10   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With a petrol engine going for a K&N drop in filter is really not a big problem. It improves overall driveability and the engine feels quite free.

In case of turbo diesels you need to be careful as there are more variables. I've seen SWift D's with K&N spewing out black smoke and have heard of turbo issues.

That's worst case ofcourse.

Would suggest to leave it as is. The Figo isn't a great performer anyways and a filter is not going to change that by much,
The filter would not really give you so much improved performance. It just lets the car breath easily and that means that you might just be able to move in a higher gear at a lower speed. Even on highways the throttle response might have a very minor improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Must be a choked filter.

The downside of these filters with turbo diesels is that they get choked too soon. Needs cleaning in every 3k km.

Gemi:
Yup!!!! Really dont know why its so costlier than the DDIS/MJD ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post

On another note, Gemi;
My front windshield wiper (only the drivers side), is bit erratic and 'jumps' during its motion, leaving wet marks/streaks and making driving difficult. I've changed the wiper blade twice but still the same. I'm pretty much new to car ownership, this being my first, but whats going wrong here?
t normally happens when the blades are hard. Maybe you park her in real hot sun very often. But even if that is the case i dont think it should need 2 changes so early. Since its a new car your best choice is the nearest A.S.S. The wiper blades are covered under warranty for 6 months / 10K km. If you dont mind spending money you could try the bosh ones. Have been very effective on my Adventure. But they too might last you only for one rainy/hot season.
Old 31st October 2010, 14:57   #719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The filter would not really give you so much improved performance. It just lets the car breath easily and that means that you might just be able to move in a higher gear at a lower speed. Even on highways the throttle response might have a very minor improvement.
Yup I know. All my cars had/have a K&N stock replacement filter except the Figo.

As Kpzen said, the filter tends to get clogged too easily and requires frequent cleaning. If neglected it can cause issues.

I cosworth comes up with a high performance filter for the Figo then yeah I'll probably go for one as well.
Old 1st November 2010, 21:52   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup I know. All my cars had/have a K&N stock replacement filter except the Figo.

As Kpzen said, the filter tends to get clogged too easily and requires frequent cleaning. If neglected it can cause issues.

I cosworth comes up with a high performance filter for the Figo then yeah I'll probably go for one as well.
Is there any particular reason for the turbo diesels making the filter clog so early? Would that mean that its better to stick to stock unless a pete's is installed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks