Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 21:53   #661

Gemi, I felt my back & neck pain while driving too. Just put a small & thin pillow to support your lower back and all will be fine.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:59   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
^Nice Gemi - I agree on all counts. Superb picture indeed. Is the 7332 indicative of "Elite" ?

The engine has definitely become more petrol-ish. Plastics are bad. One day I'm gonna break this indicator stalk.

I had a squeak, but the solution given by kage fixed it.

Rains definitely make the car go blind. Got to brainstorm a way to fix it. Why does the water stick like glue to the glass. Maybe I'll get than Rain-X or something.

Driving posture is very comfortable for me. Though I like the height of the tall boys better.
Thanks Brix. Do let me know if you get a solution to the rain blindness.

With the a/c turned off the car is definitely competition t petrol cars. The only grudge i have is the absence of any usable power above 3-3.5K rpm. The car would have ruled the highways if that was present. Petes could be a choice but a very expensive one at Rs.40K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
"7332" is the registration number of the car
Yippie!! You found out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhnanda View Post
Gemi, I felt my back & neck pain while driving too. Just put a small & thin pillow to support your lower back and all will be fine.
Thanks for the tip. Would surely try this out.
Old 18th August 2010, 09:00   #663
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Gemi - Being the leader of Figo buyers and very active still, totally agree all the points regarding plastics.
-You forgot to add - rubber parts are also nowhere near quality.
-Engine noise is more due to single overhead cam and more audible at slow speeds.
-Head lights are absolutely useless - as I said in my thread, no focus, no power. - Driving in single roads (where vehicle ply both directions) on a rainy night - could be horrible. Need to change the bulb to 90/100, I doubt about the wiring capability. Vista has good power and correct focus.
- check the a/c switching off/on by keeping maximum and driving on a sunny day.
As rightly said, the amount you pay for figo - you get almost all but with higher average quality .

I exactly found out on seeing the odo picture - but jayded responded first
Old 18th August 2010, 13:10   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Gemi - Being the leader of Figo buyers and very active still, totally agree all the points regarding plastics.
-You forgot to add - rubber parts are also nowhere near quality.
-Engine noise is more due to single overhead cam and more audible at slow speeds.
-Head lights are absolutely useless - as I said in my thread, no focus, no power. - Driving in single roads (where vehicle ply both directions) on a rainy night - could be horrible. Need to change the bulb to 90/100, I doubt about the wiring capability. Vista has good power and correct focus.
- check the a/c switching off/on by keeping maximum and driving on a sunny day.
As rightly said, the amount you pay for figo - you get almost all but with higher average quality .

I exactly found out on seeing the odo picture - but jayded responded first
Exactly. The rubber beadings especially for the door windows are horrible even to look at. I'm not sure if better things are being used on the newer batches.

The headlight surely is bad. I guess even the nano has brighter lights. I was surprised to see one on a recent trip. Not sure if they are stock bulbs though. I would be doing something about this during the next service.

About the a/c i have been checking out various settings. Some how i am not comfortable fiddling the temp knob from extreme blue. I prefer turning off the compressor when its too cold and turning it back on when the temperature climbs. The reason for this is that i have noticed that once the engine is hot if i turn the knob away from the extreme end of blue (but still very much in blue area), it starts giving out hot air. This should mean that its not the thermostat working at a different temperature when we use that position, its actually hot air getting mixed with cold air to keep the cabin temperature higher. And if it is so i think its just equal or maybe more effort on the compressor by keeping it away from extreme blue position. I really dont know if i am right. Experts please comment.
Old 18th August 2010, 14:25   #665
BHPian

Nice update Gemi. Since you point out about the plastic quality, I think it would be best to comment on it in a year's time or so. As of now with the wax polished plastic surfaces in my Figo, I think the plastics are slightly better than expected.

One question: Does anyone think that the Figo has an underpowered reverse gear? I tend to stall the engine many times while reversing the car. Ideally, The power of the reverse gear should be equal to the power of the first gear. I don't know if I am correct here.
Old 20th August 2010, 00:06   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by witwiky View Post

One question: Does anyone think that the Figo has an underpowered reverse gear? I tend to stall the engine many times while reversing the car. Ideally, The power of the reverse gear should be equal to the power of the first gear. I don't know if I am correct here.
Quite correct witwiky. Even i have faced such a situation a couple of times. Now i intentionally keep the revs high while reversing.
Old 20th August 2010, 00:55   #667
BHPian

That was a quick 7332 Km. Happy motoring. Also,

Is the engine bay good enough to take in luggage for long distance travel? I just noticed that the Figo has 280 L of boot space, compared to 450 L in most sedans. Its quite awesome
Old 20th August 2010, 14:21   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Quite correct witwiky. Even i have faced such a situation a couple of times. Now i intentionally keep the revs high while reversing.
Yes, it's the same experience that i had 2 days before. It was the tar road edge from a muddy road that i was trying to reverse. Surprisingly, it stalled first time. My Ford Ikon(petrol) does it effortlessly even after 5 yrs. Anyway, i learned to revv the engine bit high and get over with it.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:10   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Yes, it's the same experience that i had 2 days before. It was the tar road edge from a muddy road that i was trying to reverse. Surprisingly, it stalled first time. My Ford Ikon(petrol) does it effortlessly even after 5 yrs. Anyway, i learned to revv the engine bit high and get over with it.
Even I have a problem with reverse gear, I suspect it just does not slot properly stalling the engine. I dont think it is under powered though! It does work fine when it works, but when it does not slot properly it coughs out!!
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:32   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by witwiky View Post
Nice update Gemi. Since you point out about the plastic quality, I think it would be best to comment on it in a year's time or so. As of now with the wax polished plastic surfaces in my Figo, I think the plastics are slightly better than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Even I have a problem with reverse gear, I suspect it just does not slot properly stalling the engine. I dont think it is under powered though! It does work fine when it works, but when it does not slot properly it coughs out!!
Have not faced the issue with stalling reverse gear. I think the gear ratios for 1st and reverse should be similar. Does anyone have the ratios. Would be worth posting here. Let me see if i can get it online.

But if the car is slightly moving slotting into reverse or 1st makes a grinding noise. Something that i think the new synchromesh systems should not be doing. The car has to be perfectly still for reverse to slot on without grinding and should be moving very very close to still for 1st gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
That was a quick 7332 Km. Happy motoring. Also,

Is the engine bay good enough to take in luggage for long distance travel? I just noticed that the Figo has 280 L of boot space, compared to 450 L in most sedans. Its quite awesome
The boot can take in medium size suit cases and two air bags with ease and you would still have place for those knit knacks. Indeed very very good for a small hatch. But i would say the Fiat Uno had got the best usable boot that a hatch could ever dream off. We have taken a 120L refrigerator in it. Yes without folding the seats and after fully closing the hatch door.

Last edited by gemithomas : 22nd August 2010 at 10:34.
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:59   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The car ODO Stands as such

You've got the Punto for better handling/steering feedback and solid feel, the Polo for snob value and equally good handling and better quality plastics, the i20 for far superior feel inside out and an excellent CRDi unit, the Swift for the adrenaline rush and best tuned engine, and the Ritz for better ease of entry/exit.
That is an awesome review.

Anyway do you really think punto is better than figo when it comes to handling. (leave aside steering feedback) How do you rate swift's handling capabilities compared to figo?
Old 22nd August 2010, 23:28   #672
Senior - BHPian

I think the Punto has got the best suspension setup tuned to handle almost all kinds of roads in a more competent manner. Not that the Figo does not handle well but the Punto does it more gracefully.

Swift is more of a rally like setup. You would find the car literally flying over those uneven manholes if you dont control the speed. The setup however helps the car handle turns at high speeds.

I have not driven the Polo but the German lineage and the reviews suggest they are a close match to the punto.
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:40   #673
BHPian

UPDATE:

The Rear Windows lowering down automatically (or rather due to faulty design) has been sorted out by FORD

the Solution for the same is:

The Rear Window levers should be positioned in the alternate position from the position that they were/are in after u made ur purchase

They did the same with my car around a week back and guess what the rear windows dont move a centimeter without my permission lol !

warm regards

Dinesh Malhotra
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:24   #674
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arihant.EXE View Post
UPDATE:

The Rear Windows lowering down automatically (or rather due to faulty design) has been sorted out by FORD
the Solution for the same is:
The Rear Window levers should be positioned in the alternate position from the position that they were/are in after u made ur purchase
They did the same with my car around a week back and guess what the rear windows dont move a centimeter without my permission lol !
warm regards
Dinesh Malhotra
when this has to be done at fully closed or open (that is 60% open). I have problem in my rear right one.
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:33   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arihant.EXE View Post
UPDATE:

Thats real good news. Thanks for the update. Can you please post a pic of the new position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks