Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 18:40   #556
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Wow! So i guess i should update your value to 23.86km/l. Probably the highest reported till now in practical driving!!!

Any reasons for the huge variation in the journey back from thirunelveli?
I would not do that since it was for a short distance and is one off figure.

The return was from our hotel at Tirunelveli to Alleppey, whereas the up journey was 160kms more (beyond Tirunelveli) which was mostly on the NH7.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:17   #557
Senior - BHPian

Non ABS brakes on the Figo!

Hi Gemi,

Great review you got here.

I am looking out for a diesel hatch and it's the all-familiar tussle between the Punto MJD and the Figo TDCi.

So much have been written about how both cars fare against each other so I wouldn't get into that.

My major concern with the Figo is the brakes apart from the non existent bumpers as rightly pointed out by you in this thread.

The Ford brakes are not confidence inspiring to say the least. Even though I never owned a Ford, I have been lucky 'living' with 2 amazing machines (Ikon 1.6 nxt and Fiesta S) for quite a while. And the biggest problem have been the brakes.

I read in GTO's review that all the other variants of the Figo except for Titanium comes with smaller front discs (239 mm) and rear drums (180 mm). The Titanium has 258 mm/ 203 mm with ABS.

So far I have driven only the Figo Titanium and the brakes were fine. I would have ideally opted for a vehicle with ABS but for my budget.

So how are the brakes in your EXi? I would really appreciate your comments on the following.
  1. What's your observation on the braking power of the Figo?
  2. How is the feel of the brakes? Any grinding noises?
  3. What about brake fading upon continuous usage?
  4. And do they squeal and emit considerable amount of brake dust and time and again? (For good or bad, both the nxt and S came with silver alloys and it was easy to check this)

Last edited by deetjohn : 9th June 2010 at 11:33.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:55   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
I would not do that since it was for a short distance and is one off figure.
Maybe we could put it in since its a tank-tank reading after normal running on road (no an FE check oriented trip). I had not taken your earlier high since it was a scan gauge reading and not a tank-tank one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Hi Gemi,

Great review you got here.

I am looking out for a diesel hatch and it's the all-familiar tussle between the Punto MJD and the Figo TDCi.

So much have been written about how both cars fare against each other so I wouldn't get into that.

My major concern with the Figo is the brakes apart from the non existent bumpers as rightly pointed out by you in this thread.

The Ford brakes are not confidence inspiring to say the least. Even though I never owned a Ford, I have been lucky 'living' with 2 amazing machines (Ikon 1.6 nxt and Fiesta S) for quite a while. And the biggest problem have been the brakes.

I read in GTO's review that all the other variants of the Figo except for Titanium comes with smaller front discs (239 mm) and rear drums (180 mm). The Titanium has 258 mm/ 203 mm with ABS.

So far I have driven only the Figo Titanium and the brakes were fine. I would have ideally opted for a vehicle with ABS but for my budget.

So how are the brakes in your EXi? I would really appreciate your comments on the following.
  1. What's your observation on the braking power of the Figo?
  2. How is the feel of the brakes? Any grinding noises?
  3. What about brake fading upon continuous usage?
  4. And do they squeal and emit considerable amount of brake dust and time and again? (For good or bad, both the nxt and S came with silver alloys and it was easy to check this)
I always thought that Ford's brakes were among the better lot. The brakes on our fusion are just superb and i rate the Figo's brakes slightly less efficient than these. I think it should be at par with the Punto's brakes except for the additional grip that the top end 195/60 tyres might give you. The brake dust is indeed there and it creates a squeak if not cleaned frequently. Have not experienced any fading due to continuous usage on normal roads. I have not taken her on ghat roads.

I'd say if your budget can extend till atleast the emotion trim and if you do frequent highway runs go for the Punto. For everything else it has to be the Figo

Last edited by gemithomas : 9th June 2010 at 13:59.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:33   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The brakes on our fusion are just superb and i rate the Figo's brakes slightly less efficient than these.
So the brakes on the non ABS Figo with a good rubber upgrade will be sufficient. That's a relief.
Anyways, I am trying my best to drive a Figo non ABS version.

Quote:
I'd say if your budget can extend till atleast the emotion trim and if you do frequent highway runs go for the Punto. For everything else it has to be the Figo
I am afraid I can't go near the Emotion. The Punto will be the Active in all consideration.

I do moderate highway runs (with a sure B'lore - Kochi return trip once in 3 months) and all threads here suggest me to stretch the budget and go for the Titanium with the safety of ABS.

But then T-BHP being T-BHP, I also come across threads like this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...gs-future.html
So you see, that puts me right back on the fence.

Last edited by deetjohn : 9th June 2010 at 15:50.
Old 9th June 2010, 16:19   #560
Senior - BHPian

In that case i suggest the Zxi. You wont regret the rear wipers and the boot light for sure. Both these cannot be fitted later and are real useful things practically. And if you like surround sound phone calls you'd love the bluetooth enabled music system too

Trust me the Figo really needs those rear defoggers and wipers especially with its low stance and that chilling a/c that fogs the rear glasses at the slightest hint of a rain.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:53   #561
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gemi,

Quote:
Maybe we could put it in since its a tank-tank reading after normal running on road (no an FE check oriented trip).
Ok.

With my daughter's school starting from today, I am trying to segregate the drives between cars and will be able to provide you some more insight into the variations in mileages in a couple of weeks.

The Manza displayed 17.5kpl for a 31km school trip. This entails a 3 km drive on the NH from inside the town, take a left on to the SH11, 10kms later a right for 2 km+ for the school and back.

The morning tution trip and school will be with the Figo and in the evening it would be the Manza doing the school run.

But then the Figo did another 60 kms on the NH47 for a visit to the Mannarsala temple. Let us see the mileage it gives when I check it on saturday.
Old 10th June 2010, 14:24   #562
BHPian

Quote:
And if you like surround sound phone calls you'd love the bluetooth enabled music system too
I simply cant get over that feature yet. Its like having the person in the car.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:22   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that case i suggest the Zxi.
Thanks gemithomas for the recommendation.

Whenever I look at the ZXI, the Titanium which is 32K more (Ex. showroom) presents itself as better value for money. It's a lot safer and has a bit more goodies.

Ford has priced the ZXI brilliantly to put buyers in dilemma. Somehow I have a feeling Ford makes more money on the ZXI than the Titanium.

If only the EXI had a rear wiper or the ZXI, bigger brakes.

One more question, Does the chin of Figo' front bumper scrape the surface of uneven roads? (read roads with a convex cross section with a taller middle portion)
Old 11th June 2010, 12:38   #564
BHPian

Quote:
One more question, Does the chin of Figo' front bumper scrape the surface of uneven roads? (read roads with a convex cross section with a taller middle portion)
Not so far. But the under chassis scapes on big speed brakers if you have more than 3 people in Figo.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:51   #565
BHPian

Mr. Italian Stallion - did you figure out that noise problem?
Old 11th June 2010, 20:41   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
I simply cant get over that feature yet. Its like having the person in the car.
+1 to that ! I simply love taking calls while driving now ! Earlier I used to crib and curse the people who call me while I drive. Many days, I have calls with my 2nd level boss and he schedules the calls at 9 AM. That's time I am usually on the road. No problem these days, I attend calls just like I am in office ! Now my grouse is with Airtel who has some sort of "auto cut-off" for calls after 30 minutes
Old 11th June 2010, 21:13   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks gemithomas for the recommendation.

Whenever I look at the ZXI, the Titanium which is 32K more (Ex. showroom) presents itself as better value for money. It's a lot safer and has a bit more goodies.

Ford has priced the ZXI brilliantly to put buyers in dilemma. Somehow I have a feeling Ford makes more money on the ZXI than the Titanium.

If only the EXI had a rear wiper or the ZXI, bigger brakes.

AFAIK the differences between Zxi and Titanuim are ABS, airbags, anti drip wiper, six speed wiper and a few minor things like tray beneath the handbrake etc. But brakes... What's the difference between Zxi brakes and Titanium brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
+1 to that ! I simply love taking calls while driving now ! Earlier I used to crib and curse the people who call me while I drive. Many days, I have calls with my 2nd level boss and he schedules the calls at 9 AM. That's time I am usually on the road. No problem these days, I attend calls just like I am in office ! Now my grouse is with Airtel who has some sort of "auto cut-off" for calls after 30 minutes
Yes, nowadays I actually look forward to getting calls when driving. In fact sometimes I go and sit in the car to make a call.
This is the biggest brag feature in this car! Just get into the car, dont even pull the mobile from the pocket (my bluetooth is always on nowadays), and just ask your friend to call you. My colleagues are all zapped after seeing this feature

By the way Vodafone too cuts the call off after half an hour.
Old 12th June 2010, 09:45   #568
Senior - BHPian

Figo Squeak from rear right? ...Nailed.

Quote:

I recommended a minimum of the Zxi since you said you had a budget constraint. The Titanium surely is better VFM. However personally i prefer the non-ABS version since it takes less distance to stop. I can always be a lttle careful in rain/sand conditions but when you you are in a panic braking situation. You need your car to stop ASAP. Just my personal thought. ABS sure is good in many ways but personally i would prefer an airbag without an ABS

Luckily i haven't managed to scape the chin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
But brakes... What's the difference between Zxi brakes and Titanium brakes?
The Titanium comes with larger diameter drums and disks than the lower variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Mr. Italian Stallion - did you figure out that noise problem?
Why do you ask so late....here it comes.

Figo Squeak from rear right Nailed

After a lot of looking around for clues finally i understood that i was looking at the wrong places. On one one of my "sound finding" adventures with my friend we realised that the sound should be coming from under the body and not from within the cabin.

By this time the sound had increased to a level where it had started irritating me. So i went under the car and found a small rubber like thing that holds the brake fluid carrying pipes. I greased that and the sound has not appeared for the last two days.

Picture 1 shows you where you should be looking. In Picture 2 the small arrow shows you the brake fluid pipe and the longer arrow shows where you should be looking. Picture 3 is the rubber clamp that holds the tube in place. I pulled it out, greased it and put her back.

Thanks to a Housewife, a Marketing Manager and a Financial Advisor who sat behind trying to get a clue. A much bigger one to the IT guy from chennai who travelled with his head out of an open door and an Architect who wriggled himself on the floor with the seats folded up.

Happy Motoring.
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc04072.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc04069.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc04071.jpg  

Last edited by gemithomas : 12th June 2010 at 09:50.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:16   #569
BHPian

Quote:

Figo Squeak from rear right Nailed
Great find. and nice way of explaining 'how to do it'.
It should be very usefull to all Figonians who had the problem.

Ps:Maybe you should have posted a pic of the removed rubber clamp also
Old 12th June 2010, 18:05   #570
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Just my personal thought. ABS sure is good in many ways but personally i would prefer an airbag without an ABS
Me, the other way around.

Having ABS need not increase the stopping distance always, but should not be expected to shorten the braking distance also.

But it gives you steering control while braking hard which can be a life saver!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks