Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2010, 20:29   #541
BHPian

awesome work Gemi
I checked out with a guy in ford service center and he said 15kmpl in city with AC is a good mileage and don't expect more.
and in Highways he said that with more miles on the odo the FE will move towards 20kmpl
Old 5th June 2010, 20:42   #542
BHPian

Just read a news report which says Hyundai is so scared of the success of the diesel Figo that they are coming soon with the diesel i10, with the engine being imported to start with; so they may not be able to match the price and lose out on the VFM proposition!
Old 5th June 2010, 20:58   #543
BHPian

Fantastic work Gemi!
You are definitely a distinguished Figoian if not BHPian.
Tomorrow I have to tank up my machine. FE update tomorrow.
Old 5th June 2010, 21:12   #544
BHPian

I don't know how to edit my post above, but just wanted to add that General Motors has announced plans to manufacture a 1 liter diesel engine for the Beat at Talegaon from next year.
Old 5th June 2010, 22:14   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Here are the Highway/City Mileage Figures of Figo owners on Team-BHP.
Again a long due post. Excellent Gemi.
Old 5th June 2010, 23:22   #546
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work Gemi
I think blackcat,Joe & ebiz hit the top FE figures. Gr8guzzler figures can be inbetween city and highway as Navimumbai do not have crawling traffic.

OT: Today I saw a Nissan van petrol (may be a bigger hatchback) with all its logo hidden in Chennai. I reached him in a signal and came to know the brand. Car looked more spacious but with smaller tires... Could not click as I was riding in bike.
Old 6th June 2010, 12:04   #547
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work Gemi I am sure this was one data everyone was looking for.
At the outset, the 13.5 city and 18.5 in highway I would say is a very good figure indeed.
Considering the VFM that the product delivers, I would be happy with those figures if I were to own a Figo
Old 6th June 2010, 13:24   #548
BHPian

Hoes does this FE figures for the Figo compare with the Punto? Is there any decent difference between the Figo and the Punto with respect to the city and highway FE figures?
Old 6th June 2010, 16:47   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Over 47kms out of which 31kms was a run more on SH11 and the remaining in town. I could fill only 1.97L giving me 23.86kpl. I am not sure whether I should take that figure on face value.

But a Tirunelveli trip (2 of us) gave a 18.86kpl (396km) over the up journey and 14.76kpl (223km) for the down journey.

Filling to the brim could be inconsistent and I am still not sure whether we can really trust the quantity dispensed.

My travel through the Western Ghats has impressed me with the handling and pulling. But in contrast to the Manza, this thing definitely has a problem in uphill in higher gears. That and the gearing to reduce the turbo lag is pulling down the efficiency.
Wow! So i guess i should update your value to 23.86km/l. Probably the highest reported till now in practical driving!!!

Any reasons for the huge variation in the journey back from thirunelveli?

About the filling. I have noticed that around 3-4 litres go in after the first auto cut off. I usually fill till you can see the diesel in the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
I checked out with a guy in ford service center and he said 15kmpl in city with AC is a good mileage and don't expect more.
and in Highways he said that with more miles on the odo the FE will move towards 20kmpl
Well i was expecting 14 to be the worse. But it seems that i am running in the 12-13 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Just read a news report which says Hyundai is so scared of the success of the diesel Figo that they are coming soon with the diesel i10, with the engine being imported to start with; so they may not be able to match the price and lose out on the VFM proposition!
I heard Hyundai shelved the plan due to the very reason that they wont be able to match the price. The i10 is a much smaller car than the Figo (way much more psychologically) and hence a higher price might just not work the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Fantastic work Gemi!
You are definitely a distinguished Figoian if not BHPian.
Tomorrow I have to tank up my machine. FE update tomorrow.
Thanks. Looking forward to that update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
I don't know how to edit my post above, but just wanted to add that General Motors has announced plans to manufacture a 1 liter diesel engine for the Beat at Talegaon from next year.
I've been hearing that ever since the Aveo launch. Guess its too late now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Again a long due post. Excellent Gemi.
ehh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Excellent work Gemi
I think blackcat,Joe & ebiz hit the top FE figures. Gr8guzzler figures can be inbetween city and highway as Navimumbai do not have crawling traffic.

OT: Today I saw a Nissan van petrol (may be a bigger hatchback) with all its logo hidden in Chennai. I reached him in a signal and came to know the brand. Car looked more spacious but with smaller tires... Could not click as I was riding in bike.
Well with his latest updates trrk has recorded the least and the best!!

OT:I think there is something called NV200. It looks like a bigger versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
At the outset, the 13.5 city and 18.5 in highway I would say is a very good figure indeed.
Considering the VFM that the product delivers, I would be happy with those figures if I were to own a Figo
I would be very happy once the city figures settle to anything above 14km/l. Anything lower than that just does not make economic sense for me in spending on the diesel engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Hoes does this FE figures for the Figo compare with the Punto? Is there any decent difference between the Figo and the Punto with respect to the city and highway FE figures?
The next time my wife see's me tabulating F.E figures from individual posts... I'm Dead Meat!!!

Last edited by gemithomas : 6th June 2010 at 16:50.
Old 6th June 2010, 18:23   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I just "ran" through a few sample threads here. Punto MJD owners seem to be reporting an average of around 15km/l in city and around 20-22 on highways. But not sure if these are MID readings or tank-tank calculations. Swift DDiS owners seem to be reporting around 0.5 to 1 km/l more than this in city. So the FIAT engine surely is much more fuel efficient than the TDCi. The advantage of the TDCi is the minimal turbo lag except when you are stuck at a lower gear on a slope.

Even if we consider that the Fiat engine gives a maximum of 3km/l more F.E average (Highway/City Combined), Figo owners would be spending something like around Rs.50,000/- more on Fuel Bills when they cover 1L km on the ODO. So it really depends on how much km you run. If you consistently do 20K per year, you would be spending around Rs.800/- more per month.

Personally, i think when you consider the equipment list, space, handling and turbo lag advantage, spending 50K more on fuel in 5 years / 1lakh km is really worth it. Atleast it still does not cost as much as the Punto Emotion Pack nor a Swift VDI with ABS, an average sounding music system and some good rubber to make the car worth the money.

The only spoilsport at the moment is the "touch me not bumpers" and the exorbitant painting / repair charges by the dealers. As far as i see that's the only factor that could shift the ownership costs in favour of the other brands.

Last edited by gemithomas : 6th June 2010 at 18:28.
Old 6th June 2010, 21:51   #551
BHPian

That's a very good idea to do some simple math on the FE figure comparison between Punto and Figo. I guess by this way, I can to some extent arrive at my decision of buying a Figo or a Punto. From my point of view, both the cars are VFM and tto some extent both offer the same features and style. But like you said, I would end up paying more for the Punto than the Figo for the same set of features, I guess it would be worth for me to do the math and arrive at my decision.

At present, I have only these two cars in mind. My target is to buy one by the end of this year. I wanted to buy it starting this year, but since I'm out of India, I just postponed my plans. Hopefully I would make it this year and if not, then I will be confused again by next year, the time by which new models might have arrived.
Old 7th June 2010, 10:44   #552
BHPian

Here are the FE figures for my figo

13.1 was minimum with lot of AC idling in heavy rain when i was stuck in traffic for a very long time.

average seems to be 17(have increased in the past fillings) in my chennai runs. I don't go to heart of the city too much though and i have been told that my camproad to mcity/camp road to "velacherry/saidapet"/camp road to shols commute is not really city traffic. I know folks getting around 12-15 in this same road though who are driving beat/i10(1.1 engine)/wagon R the old one.

TVM-Chennai Trip - The average for around 900 kms was between 18-19.

Haven't really bothered checking on the highways too much after that since i am pretty sure that i will get above 20 for sure since first service is also over. Right now odo is 3618 kms.

All said and done if the mileage is around 12 after around 3000 kms on the odo not much point in going for a diesel car. I suggest those folks who are getting mileage around 12 to get their car driven by some friend/relative who has fiesta or ikon tdci and is reporting relatively high mileage. See what mileage they are able to get out of your car and see if there is a marked difference. The other thing to do is see if those cars reporting low mileage on the forum have vin number from a particular day/week etc. Just thinking that Ford might have screwed on some of these cars in a specific production batch. Check for things like idling rpm/rpm at different speeds etc.

I got the figo not because it's good to drive. It was because of the very good effeciency we have had with the fiesta and that seems to be continuing with the figo.The driveability/handling/response are just bonuses for me.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:23   #553
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Punto is an excellent car - No doubt. The only concern is how long Fiat will have this in their stable as their history of retaining good cars does not look good.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:37   #554
BHPian

Yesterday got to drive my car on literally open roads since it was sunday and Chandigarh was free from traffic at night. Drove her like a rocket. A cut here, a cut there. Zipping across traffic at 90+ speed. And since the weather was cool so had rolled the windows down. And when I drove her like that (downshifting to third at 50 kmph and upshifting to 4th at 70 kmph. I did so as to remain in the turbo range so as to get max power out from every drop of fuel.) she gave me awsm figures on DTE. For 13 kms ride DTE fell by just 3 kms!! Now that was unbelievable. If this is what she can deliver while i rip her, then it means 20+ kmpl isn't a distant dream on open city roads. All this when she is having a reading of 780 kms on the odo and her first service is pending. Just wondering how much average will she return when the engine settles after 5k kms.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:22   #555
BHPian

This car is a marathoner and not a sprinter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Just wondering how much average will she return when the engine settles after 5k kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks