Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 13:04   #481
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
I do have to admit, the door's sheet metal felt a lot thicker than than Maruti's.

Only way out is - I got to reduce weight for better FE.

But how is it possible that the difference is only 20kg. Isnt the Fiesta bigger and also comes with a big boot?
It takes a lot of effort & man hours to design & reinforce a hatch to match its safety with that of a sedan.

Hence the extra weight.
Old 15th May 2010, 14:35   #482
BHPian

mustang can you specify what parts exactly mske figo more hefty than counterparts?
Does this mean swift which is lighter a tin can in terms of safety?
Can anyone post NCAP ratings of swift please?
Old 15th May 2010, 17:58   #483
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks shubhodeepdas.

Figo does look sturdy than Swift always. Generally Maruti products are lighter for better FE's.

Last edited by RGK : 15th May 2010 at 18:03.
Old 15th May 2010, 17:58   #484
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
mustang can you specify what parts exactly mske figo more hefty than counterparts?
Does this mean swift which is lighter a tin can in terms of safety?
Can anyone post NCAP ratings of swift please?
Look i dont have any technical info on this.

I think both the swift & the Figo have a 4 star rating but it is important to note that this 4 start rating includes two basic subdivisions.

1) Occupant safety
2) Pedestrian safety

What i make of it is that the swift is better in terms of pedestrian safety while the figo is better in terms of Occupant safety.

Pedestrian safety norms require the use of lighter & more flexible metal like you can see on the swift wheras occupant safety requires structural changes & more crumple zones & thus more heavier metal & reinforcements.

Lesson of the day: Dont drive your Figo on the streets as if you are playing GTA.
Old 15th May 2010, 18:04   #485
RGK
Senior - BHPian

@Mustang - pardon my ignorance - what is GTA
Old 15th May 2010, 18:24   #486
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
@Mustang - pardon my ignorance - what is GTA
The game "Grand Theft Auto" in which everyone loves doing roadkills.
Old 15th May 2010, 19:04   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Pedestrian safety norms require the use of lighter & more flexible metal like you can see on the swift wheras occupant safety requires structural changes & more crumple zones & thus more heavier metal & reinforcements.
So this explains technically that heavier is indeed safer, though a few tend to disagree.
Old 16th May 2010, 00:29   #488
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people find the Swift "light". If I remember correctly, Swift Diesel tips the scales at 1090 kg, which is 5 kg heavier than the Palio Multijet's 1085 kgs. Just shows how an impression can go a long way.
Old 16th May 2010, 11:16   #489
BHPian

Regarding weight of Swift and Figo

I think Swift is a similar car in terms of dimension when compared to the Figo.

Length. Figo: 3795 Swift: 3760
Width. Figo: 1680 Swift: 1690
Height. Figo: 1427 Swift: 1530
Weight. Figo: 1130 Swift: 1075

And that extra 55 kg can be easily attributed to a million things, does not really make any of them safer as compared to the other. As far as pedestrian safety goes, I am very sure Fords are at par with the others.

Once had this unfortunate incident of hitting a dog in the rain. Just jumped out of the median for some truck sprayed water on it. I braked and still hit the dog at 30~40 kmph. Dog survived. Car took the brunt. Lost the radiator in the process (leak), a fog lamp (fell off), AC condenser (destroyed) etc. The car was ok to drive around for next two days before I gave it in for insurance work. It did drive back all the way from Tumkur till Bangalore as well.

I am pretty sure, if it was a human who jumped out, he would probably have survived with just a broken leg maximum.
Old 16th May 2010, 11:38   #490
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
I think Swift is a similar car in terms of dimension when compared to the Figo.

Length. Figo: 3795 Swift: 3760
Width. Figo: 1680 Swift: 1690
Height. Figo: 1427 Swift: 1530
Weight. Figo: 1130 Swift: 1075

And that extra 55 kg can be easily attributed to a million things, does not really make any of them safer as compared to the other. As far as pedestrian safety goes, I am very sure Fords are at par with the others.

Once had this unfortunate incident of hitting a dog in the rain. Just jumped out of the median for some truck sprayed water on it. I braked and still hit the dog at 30~40 kmph. Dog survived. Car took the brunt. Lost the radiator in the process (leak), a fog lamp (fell off), AC condenser (destroyed) etc. The car was ok to drive around for next two days before I gave it in for insurance work. It did drive back all the way from Tumkur till Bangalore as well.

I am pretty sure, if it was a human who jumped out, he would probably have survived with just a broken leg maximum.

Actually the current figo has a 2 star pedestrian safety rating while its occupant safety rating is 4 stars. So i know what i am talking about, even the engines of the figo are much lighter than those of the swift's. The gearbox is 5 kgs more than a swift.

PS - The maximum obtainable stars are 5.
Old 16th May 2010, 13:34   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Actually the current figo has a 2 star pedestrian safety rating while its occupant safety rating is 4 stars. So i know what i am talking about, even the engines of the figo are much lighter than those of the swift's. The gearbox is 5 kgs more than a swift.

PS - The maximum obtainable stars are 5.
2 Stars is quite bad I think for Pedestrian Safely. But it may imply that cars get less damaged when they hit dogs and other stuff on our roads which is very very common. I guess it saves the pocket of the customer.
Old 16th May 2010, 16:45   #492
BHPian

Quote:
2 Stars is quite bad I think for Pedestrian Safely. But it may imply that cars get less damaged when they hit dogs and other stuff on our roads which is very very common. I guess it saves the pocket of the customer.
I believe it must be the other way round. If a car has good pedestrian protection it must be the car that takes the brunt.
Old 16th May 2010, 17:11   #493
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I believe it must be the other way round. If a car has good pedestrian protection it must be the car that takes the brunt.

Shubho you are absolutely right, & coldice you are kind of wrong .

If pedestrian safety rating is lower then it means that the car gets less damaged when it hits a soft object like a dog or a human.

This is because efforts are made to make the body panels like hoods, bumpers softer & more flexible so that they cause less damage to a human head or any other human body parts like knees,elbows etc.

Now I will be really embarrased to tell this but here goes. My swift had a small dent on its bonnet, why? because once day i decided to punch her really hard when i was very angry. My knuckles did not even hurt after that but the bonnet got a dent.

I tried something deliberately similar with my ikon after that (i dare not touch my fusion as its new) & boy did it hurt, the bonnet did not get a scratch/dent but my hand pained like hell & was swollen for 2 weeks & i had to get an x-ray done & hopefully it was not a fracture so anti-inflammatory drugs did the trick.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:29   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
I had posted the FE figures that I got on the first tankful on my FIGO TDCI. It was 16.3 with AC on all the time under city traffic conditions.
Lucky You. Just post some tips on how you drive. 16.3 with a/c in city traffic sounds like a unattainable dream for me. PLease do post some tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I think the Fiesta and the Ikon will have a slight FE advantage over the Figo because they also look a lot more areodynamic to my layman eyes.
In fact during my last highway trip i was behind two Fiesta TDCi's for quite some time. I somehow felt that they were picking up speed much faster than i could. I mean the acceleration seemed to be much faster.

Quote:
Since the FE battle has been on for a while, I think we should now look at the tyres that are standard on these vehicles running the TDCi engines. That would be Fiesta, Fusion, Ikon and Figo.
The Fiesta comes with the same size as the FIGO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
I think you are not understanding. The figures can be inconsistent - agreed to what extent. With less of no of Figo's sold (Figo diesel threads would be still low) how can it vary so much from 11 to 18.
But the common mileage is there in all vehicles which varies extensively in Figo. DDiS sells more because of consistent mileage eventhough it has other drawbacks. Have seen lot of new buyers opting for Figo diesel not only for better price, but also had an impression of better FE.
But Ford has definitely underplayed the FE part.
My Figo TDCi definitely gives me close to City mileage if i rip her on the highways. And the issue is that the City mileage is way low from what i had expected from the Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I don't think BS3 to BS4 fuel will result in a 3kmpl increase in FE unless the BS3 fuel being used is highly adulterated. There will be some improvement, but 3 kmpl seems to be highly off the mark. Captain Slow's 1.2 is running in Bangalore so he should be using BS4 fuel inspite of which he is getting in city FE of 10.5 to 11 only,that too consistently for the last 3 tankfuls.
Frankly speaking i was not expecting the Figo Petrol to be Fuel efficiet because of the very nature of the engine. All reviews said that the car moved acceptably only when revved. All the power is in the mid range. So you really dont have a choice to be soft footed. But 10.5 is what i could extract fro by 100bhp Fiat 1.6 engine!!! I am hoping the figures improve ater some 5K kms. Else Maruti would still be King. And the Customer would be treated like [BEEP].

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
From my side, my Figo take 3 rd gear without A/C at 25kmph and there is no strain after that, plus gear shift has become buttery smooth.
Actually i drove around my Figo in city without a/c for around 10-15km just to see how she behave. After the initial 3-4 km when the engine gained its optimum temperature the car was behaving just like a petrol engine. Very silent engine. Very responsive. Absolutely no turbo lag even under the turbo range. I would say the engine felt as smooth as the DDiS. I really want to test the F.E without a/c but the heat would not let me do that anytime soon.

Quote:
If pedestrian safety rating is lower then it means that the car gets less damaged when it hits a soft object like a dog or a human.

This is because efforts are made to make the body panels like hoods, bumpers softer & more flexible so that they cause less damage to a human head or any other human body parts like knees,elbows etc.
How stupid i was. I thought nothing could get more flexible and flimsy as the Figo bumper

I seriously think the reason for the figo getting a 2 rating for pedestrian safety is the bumper got too flimsy that the pedestrian gets the impact from the radiator. Seriously mustang, you should touch the bumpers on the Figo to believe me.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:40   #495
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post

How stupid i was. I thought nothing could get more flexible and flimsy as the Figo bumper

I seriously think the reason for the figo getting a 2 rating for pedestrian safety is the bumper got too flimsy that the pedestrian gets the impact from the radiator. Seriously mustang, you should touch the bumpers on the Figo to believe me.
I have touched the figo bumpers & yes they are designed for pedestrian safety, otherwise the figo would not have probably even got a 2 star pedestrian safety rating rating, However if you will find the body panels to be more tougher & stronger. Compare the hood of the figo & the swift & then let me know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks