Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 04:44   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

I have noticed a lot said about the low FE of the Figo.
I went on the TD section on T-BHP and the Swift has an average FE of 14.8kmpl in the city.
Similarly, i noticed that a lot of Figo owners are getting around 12-14kmpl from the diesel Figo's, with a majority of this being before the first service. I would really recommend you guys wait a bit and then see how the Figo FE is.

At Gemi - Overall, are you satisfied with this buy, or would you have preferred a Punto/Palio MJD instead?
Old 10th May 2010, 10:08   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
1. The fog lamps switch has 2 stage pull (marked Low/high beam) to turn it on. However in reality the fog lamps do not emit high and low beam. Its just one fixed beam.
The second position is actually for the rear fog lamps. Unfortunately we dont get rear lamps on the Figo. The switch is shared with the Fusion/Fiesta hence it has both positions. Pull it out (towards yourself) once and the front fogs are on, pull it out again and the rear fogs should come on (but not on the Figo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Excellent work - Gemi.
Is fog lamps really needed or the headlights are itself Ok for highway driving.
There is a mid position on the dim/bright stalk where both high and low beams are turned on. On highways you might need to use this position to get a real god view of the road ahead. I am assuming that with fog lamps we would not need to do this. Moreover fog lamps are really useful during dusk since you could see better without disturbing drivers on the opposite side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Not just body+footwell, it's defogger+body+footwell that cools fastest in my experience probably because the defogger throws the air directly on the windscreen.

Re-intake near the passenger footwell is standard in any mode I guess.
Thanks for the tip. Would try this out next time. Hope it helps cooling much faster on the figo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I have noticed a lot said about the low FE of the Figo.
I went on the TD section on T-BHP and the Swift has an average FE of 14.8kmpl in the city.
Similarly, i noticed that a lot of Figo owners are getting around 12-14kmpl from the diesel Figo's, with a majority of this being before the first service. I would really recommend you guys wait a bit and then see how the Figo FE is.

At Gemi - Overall, are you satisfied with this buy, or would you have preferred a Punto/Palio MJD instead?
Lamborghini, i had mentioned this earlier. I never believed that a car could give 17-18km/l in city driving conditions. I just dont think any car here can have a range of 750-800km in city on one full tank!! But even my ford dealers and many people here were telling me that it should be possible since some are getting 17/18 in city from their fusion/fiesta. Similar figures were given out by DDIS/MJD owners too. This gave me a feeling that i might be wrong about something and maybe there is something i am missing out while driving the diesel. The Figo owners are mostly getting only around 12-14 in city except i think one who has reported 16 (not really sure if i read it here).

I have done my first service but the F.E seems to only be going down. The least i had got before service was 13.5 (full city) but i guess the recent tank would put me some where around 12 (full city)[I am yet to get the accurate reading since i have not refilled]. I was expecting something around 14-15 when i decided on the diesel. 12 is certainly worrying.

About the Punto, well thats a difficult question to answer. I have always loved to have the Punto. I still remember me telling everyone that my next car would be the Punto when i bought the Adventure 3 years back. That was way before the Punto was even launched in India. But experience with Fiat even after the TATA JV was not very reassuring atleast at my location. FIAT was very responsive to issues but the point that i had to find time to escalate things with higher ups every single time i had a minor issue was very disturbing. The experience of one of my friend (harish raghav) who had an accident with his adventure and had to wait for 6 long months before the car could be made road worthy made me think if i really need to go through all this. FIAT engineers did not even know how to fix certain things on his car even after the parts were procured!!!

After selling my adventure i just did not go to even see the punto since i knew i would fall for it. I love the Punto. But there are some things that are better left within the heart.

The Figo does well as a 'CAR'. But its just a "CAR". Anyone who has owned a FIAT would know what i mean.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:27   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

@gemi - I know exactly what you mean. We had the Palio, before which we had a Siena, and I have a strong feeling that if Fiat improves its A.S.S. and quality (on new cars, mind you), that our next car is going to be a hot hatch from Fiat.
However, I am quite surprised to hear that the Figo is just A car and not THE car, specially given that after the Palio, the Fiesta has become THE car for me.
About the FE - I guess you should not expect great things for a while. Instead, use this time to understand the engine, its power band, etc. and I am sure your FE will increase.
The thing is that on T-BHP, the Figo has made lots of people switch from a petrol to a diesel. However, in the case of the DDIS, most of the buyers either bought it for the performance, or upgraded from their Indica Ds and are thus happy with their FE.
But either ways, do give the Figo a chance and hopefully things will work out.

P.S. as I mentioned somewhere, the Swift D has an average T-BHP FE of 14.8kmpl in the city, so I am surprised to see everyone boasting of their averages. The fiesta D has a T-BHP FE of 14.3kmpl.

Hope to hear good news from the refill, and do keep us updated after a while.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:07   #439
BHPian

Figo Mileage.

I got a figo titanium 1.4 d this tuesday from tvm kairali showroom. Drove it all the way from tvm to chennai. I came thru the route via erunakulam and not the madurai one. The route was tvm-erunakulam-thrissur-palakkad-coimbatore-salem-attur-ulundurpet-chennai. The car has covered 945 kms (all during daytime tvm-chalakudi was saturday (4-10 PM halts in between) Chalakudi-Chennai(9 AM-8 PM)). I filled up 1500 worth of diesel(39) at tvm when dte was reading around 40. Filled up 1000 Rs(26) worth again at salem. Right now 1/3 of the full tank seems to be left from the fuel gauge. So that puts the mileage around 18 for the entire route which is not that bad i guess. One thing i noticed is highways in kerala are pretty bad in terms of mileage :( when compared to TN part of the route.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:37   #440
BHPian

The worst thing happened, I had to see doctor for the back/neck problem.

The seat is

/
|
|
|

event with pulling the head rest to max it goes somehting like

/

|
|
|

The incline at top is like 50 degrees. What the heck. Spoke with couple of folks who use civic and they have actually removed and reversed the head rests. I have pulled it out for now. Unitll I get the pillows and fix it.

I want to complain to Ford about it. I plan to write with pics attached.

@shubhodeepdas@g - With fog lamps this switch will be replaced (the pic you posted) and it can be pulled to turn on fog lamps and there is 2 stage pull (low & high) beam marked on it. Will post pic soon.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:58   #441
BHPian

I got an FE of about 14 in B2B Bangalore traffic and that was when car was new. ( less than 1000 km). I think I should be happy with that ! Then during a long drive on highway, it gave in the range of 16. Hope I will see better mileage after couple of services.

After the long trip, I started hearing squeaking sound from behind, I suspect it is coming from the back seat..Somebody else had reported same issue , looks like it is a common issue. This is more evident when the road is not very good with lot of ups and downs and curves. Whatever, I can't accept this for a new car ! Hope that will get fixed during the first service.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:25   #442
BHPian

Quote:
@shubhodeepdas@g - With fog lamps this switch will be replaced (the pic you posted) and it can be pulled to turn on fog lamps and there is 2 stage pull (low & high) beam marked on it. Will post pic soon.
Sorry to hear about your back, I have first hand experience with Slip Disc, PM if you need any details. Do you have the Height and Thigh Support adjustment in your car? It helps a lot in finding that correct spot. The headrest should ideally have 4 steps to it between lowest and highest (i doubt it will be different in Figo).

Do not reverse the headrest. In any unfortunate hit from a truck from behind, you risk completely breaking your neck.

Regarding the Fog Lamp, the one you are talking of has two lamps marked, one facing left with Low Beam and one Facing Right with high beam. Both would probably have a wave marked through them as well. These markings will be near the bottom left of the rotary switch with arrows indicating 1 and 2 pull positions.

The one marked high beam and facing right is for the rear fog lamps which they are not installing on the Figo, well not as yet. The reason it's marked high beam is because it is like a High Beam Tail Lamp which definitely blinds any traffic behind you in clear weather. In dense fog it's visible from a very large distance even with the car completely invisible.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:59   #443
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Can you post a photo of the same?
In the above post, you have put a photo of the light switch. Is it your car? If so, why is that headlight leveller switch at 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Right now 1/3 of the full tank seems to be left from the fuel gauge.
Not a very good way of judging the mileage! Why don't you fill the tank and give us the mileage? By the way, congratulations. That was one way of celebrating a new car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
One thing i noticed is highways in kerala are pretty bad in terms of mileage :( when compared to TN part of the route.
Well, you are entirely correct. The average speed achievable is low and brings the efficiency down. It is getting worse everyday.

Quote:
The worst thing happened, I had to see doctor for the back/neck problem.
You are right about the seat. Even though I have not had much of a problem so far, the headrest could give a neck strain and the seat leads to an uncomfortable back. Since my driver also uses it, the constant change makes it difficult to retain the correct position.

Among the three cars that I have, the best driver's seat is the Marina's. No problem even after spending hours in it. The Manza's one does not trouble me, but I like the driver seat to be firm which it is not. Figo, hmmmm.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:24   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,In the above post, you have put a photo of the light switch. Is it your car? If so, why is that headlight leveller switch at 3?
Not my car. Car's not here yet, going through some delays, mostly from my side.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:39   #445
BHPian

Ok, Posting pics of the fog lamp switch along wiht the dash indicator, there are 2 different dash indicators which suggests one of the pull stages is for rear fog lamps.

Regarding the question on Use of Fog lamps -- you really need is a yellow light. If you really want to use the fog lamps head to Coorg rd early morning or just visit Agumbe any time of the year /day

FE Update :
Method: Tank full to tank full after running 234 kms, it took 14.9L of diesel thats approx 15.7kmpl. Tank full done from same station from same dispensor both in the evenings. Running includes 140 kms of chanpathna weekend trip(smooth highway) with 95% a/c, max speed attained of 80kmph. Driving is usually in the 1100-1800rpm band (in city too).

First 50 kms was tough, I got my car with 15 kms on ODO and it was very coarse, and it felt as if there was rev limiter at 2k rpm. Now car revs upto 2.5 rpm naturally. I generally drive in 3rd gear in city at ~40kmph.

II) The ABS light coming on for a milli second during cranking is not an issue, confirmed with dealer and also checked its there in their test drive cars.

III) I will put back the head reast in normal position after 2 days once I but the pillows.
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-firstpull.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-secondpull.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-twostagepull.jpg  

Last edited by ownerofazkaban : 10th May 2010 at 20:54.
Old 10th May 2010, 21:54   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, Posting pics of the fog lamp switch along with the dash indicator, there are 2 different dash indicators which suggests one of the pull stages is for rear fog lamps.

Regarding the question on Use of Fog lamps -- you really need is a yellow light. If you really want to use the fog lamps head to Coorg rd early morning or just visit Agumbe any time of the year /day
Yep. That's just the symbol for a rear fog lamp, not a high low beam. It's like that on all standard european cars.

The rear ones are for visibility from a distance. Most cars are needed to have two, but some of the new breed just have one or none.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:14   #447
Senior - BHPian

3500km Update

Have completed 3500km on the Figo TDCi. And most of my thoughts about a diesel car has been changing. I have realised that with Diesels you dont really save money in running. Its just that you run MORE for the same money. And more importantly - a "petrolhead" on a "highway" in a "diesel"...its the most frustrating combination.

What i know about the Figo after 3500km and some issues
  • There is a very irritating squeak from the rear right side. Its there on slightly uneven roads (read as always). This is the one i had mentioned much earlier saying it could be from the seats. Its not the seats. I cant figure out where its coming from. I might send her in for a check even before the next service is due. The sound is very irritating.
  • Car does not pull from second once you slow down for a bump. You need to slot her into first.
  • Once in a while on slopes the car looses breath if you are a bit late in shifting down. In such instances an immediate shift down and accelerator push will take you no where. I need to Stop her from movements. Give her a couple of seconds. Revv her and the try to move. I think Mr.Torque just takes a nap once in awhile!!
  • The brake pad dust build up causes squeal everytime i brake. Pour water through the holes on the rim and get away some dust so that she can run smoothly for some 100km till the thing comes back. I've experienced bad braking at higher speeds when the dust is at work. The brakes are excellent above average with no dust.
  • The wind shield heats up so much in the after noon sun straining even the fords 150cc compressor to work overtime to cool the cabin. A technique to beat this is to channel the air position in "defogger-front-leg" mode. I think shubhodeepdas gave me that tip. I tried it and it works. Thanks dude.

I still have not got the price list for the ford accessories. Its been over a month now since i asked customer care via mail. I got a call sometime last week while i was in a meeting. The lady said she would call me back later but i that has not yet happened. Hope this is not the case when i've got any issues. Since its the accessory price i am not very much bothered.

Yestarday early morning i drove into the fuel station after running 386km in city. She took in 31.3 litres on diesel giving me a F.E of 12.3km/l. Ironically i was expecting F.E to improve after service and i got my least F.E on the tank just after the First Service.

Yesterday night i drove back into the same fuel station after running 386km on the highway. She took in 22.3 litres of diesel giving me an F.E of 17.3km/l. Ironically i got both readings on the same day.!!!

Even more interesting is that both times i drove into the fuel station the trip meter was showing 386km

The highway trip involved close to 30min drive though a congested town that i had to cross. I think if it was not for that the figures would have been a little higher.

So the engine is capable. It would do wonders on those mileage marathon runs. But in practical everyday driving the variance seems to be on a much higher side than you would like.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:38   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
  • Car does not pull from second once you slow down for a bump. You need to slot her into first.
  • Once in a while on slopes the car looses breath if you are a bit late in shifting down. In such instances an immediate shift down and accelerator push will take you no where. I need to Stop her from movements. Give her a couple of seconds. Revv her and the try to move. I think Mr.Torque just takes a nap once in awhile!!
Car not pulling from 2nd is a very Diesel thing. Sometimes there are sudden pockets of total Turbo Loss and thing just refuses to move.

Specially on hills and climbs, you cannot let the RPM drop below the Turbo Kick in point. cause once its below that, it takes a while to start the Turbo even if the RPM has crossed the designated mark.

Quote:
Yesterday night i drove back into the same fuel station after running 386km on the highway. She took in 22.3 litres of diesel giving me an F.E of 17.3km/l. Ironically i got both readings on the same day.!!!
17.3km/l sounds good. It probably can get you more. Good to know the AC trick is working. Another trick to cool that windows faster is to spray some wiper wash on it.

Regarding Diesels 1.4 and Petrols 1.6 Fords on Highway:
Depending on the power available from the Diesel is great when you are moving mountains, the large amount of torque at low RPM makes life easy, but when you need to overtake that annoying Sumo with disco lights doing 80 kmph, you need to really struggle hard. In a petrol its a piece of cake, dab the pedal in whatever gear and the car just moves.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:44   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Have completed 3500km on the Figo TDCi. And most of my thoughts about a diesel car has been changing. I have realised that with Diesels you dont really save money in running. Its just that you run MORE for the same money. And more importantly - a "petrolhead" on a "highway" in a "diesel"...its the most frustrating combination.
I agree on all points. On mileage its been a big disappointment. Otherwise no big faults with the car. But if I have to make a recommendation to someone, I'll be recommending something else. Maruti got that right in India.

Its been an expensive affair with the Figo so far.

If the logic is to drive more to get more mileage - its bad logic for me.
OK - I had all the warnings, get a diesel car only for long runs - but I expected better city mileage. I've learnt my lesson, albeit an expensive one.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:17   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
Well, this is my first post on team bhp.

Have been waiting in the wings for a bit now to buy my first car after actually deciding on the Figo TDCi, that too after reading literally everything there is about the Figo in this forum over 2 months. Whats put me off are the FE figures being reported here (incl. those in wet weather).

Now i'm in a fix, since the Swift Vdi is beyond my budget. To surmise I agree with you Gemi, if Ford can 'fix' the FE all that's left to say is .. i'll take mine in moondust silver please!
Hey Commodore, Same here. I have bought my Zxi TDCi Sea Grey Figo from Pune after reading for almost two months on this forum - everything that has been mentioned about this car.

And I am getting a FE of 16 to 17 kmpl so far after two cycles of tank full to tank full FE calculations after driving in a mix of all driving conditions - city, highway, ghats, rain, hail storms, summer, etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks