Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 15:11   #406
BHPian

How much does it cost to get under body corrosion prevention treatment done? Which brand is the best?
Old 6th May 2010, 18:43   #407
BHPian

Balaji Agencies promised a warranty for 5 years for the 3M UB coating.

Cost mentioned was 3500.

I'm thinking of going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
He is talking about under body rust protection, not rust protection for the paint. No car comes with under body rust protectin as standard as far as I know. At least not in this segment or the one above. I have 3M underbody coat on my Fiesta. It costs 3K and comes with a 3 year warranty. It also completely eliminates any kind of mud or pebble noises.
Old 6th May 2010, 20:58   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
My first FE with Figo TDCi comes around 11.7 with 100% AC on, with 45% highway and 55% city driving which I think is very low compare to others.
welcome to the low FE Figo TDCi club

"Ford Figo Storm" is coming soon. Ford are you listening? May be you knew it well in advance that Figo will give a lower FE due to 'special changes' done to TDCi

Anyways the 'Team BHP' reviewed FE will be out in a couple of months, if Ford does not fix this problem, Figo is doomed.

Hiren, do a 100% highway and post the figures, i too will do the same soon and then we can compare the highway numbers quite easily.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:00   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Why is it that anticorrosion treatment needs to be done seperately at extra cost? Why is 6.4lakh(Titanium Tdci OTR cost in KA) car's paint incapable of handling corrosion? After all companies are to have tested the cars in varying climatic conditions.
Something i have always wondered. And thats why i have never gone for such gimmicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
Well, this is my first post on team bhp.

Have been waiting in the wings for a bit now to buy my first car after actually deciding on the Figo TDCi, that too after reading literally everything there is about the Figo in this forum over 2 months. Whats put me off are the FE figures being reported here (incl. those in wet weather).

Now i'm in a fix, since the Swift Vdi is beyond my budget. To surmise I agree with you Gemi, if Ford can 'fix' the FE all that's left to say is .. i'll take mine in moondust silver please!
Do wait and watch before you take a decision. PLease also check out with people you personally know and check out the mileage of the DDIS/MJD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
@Gemi: Well my experience with the Fusion has been like clockwork and I have been a very erratic owner.
But this is My Experience, I could be lucky Might nor repeat that with the Figo though.

@Deep Blue
Regarding Under Body Coating / Antirust Coating
IMO, the car can easily survive without that if you are not scraping in every now and then on Mud and Rocks at various places. If you are, then you are better off with it.

There is a similar treatment for body paint to resist scratches as well. Works well against the occasional brushing brambles on narrow roads.
Even the underbody coating would not really save you after those underbody scrapes unless you keep re-protecting the scraped parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Gemi,

Pls post pics of that part from other angles as well.

Did u reset the ECU and check the FE ?
Will post better angles.

No help with the ECU thing. I have done close to half tank now and the DTE shows a range of 320km. The trip meter that was reset on tank fill shows 280km. So the average should be just around 13.5km/l[(320+280)/45] and it should surely go down by the time i finish this tank as the DTE always seems to be correcting downwards as i run.But i would hold back my comments till the actual figures after the next tank fill.

These are figures for full city driving with a/c on and normal driving under 2K rpm 98% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
He is talking about under body rust protection, not rust protection for the paint. No car comes with under body rust protectin as standard as far as I know.
Have you seen the FIATs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha100 View Post
welcome to the low FE Figo TDCi club

"Ford Figo Storm" is coming soon. Ford are you listening? May be you knew it well in advance that Figo will give a lower FE due to 'special changes' done to TDCi

Anyways the 'Team BHP' reviewed FE will be out in a couple of months, if Ford does not fix this problem, Figo is doomed.

Hiren, do a 100% highway and post the figures, i too will do the same soon and then we can compare the highway numbers quite easily.
There are a few things that keep bugging me
- Ford Decides not to use the Duratorque brand name with the Figo
- I dont see any banners at my service centre claiming the mileage figures for Figo where as other manufacturers shout out their F.E Figures wherever they can.
- Ford decides to not give the 4th year warranty "only" for the Figo.
- BSII fuel still being used on the BSIV Figo in most places across india. Could this be a reason for the above???!!!

These could be just coincidence but unfortunately i dont believe in coincidence
Old 7th May 2010, 10:33   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
There are a few things that keep bugging me
- Ford Decides not to use the Duratorque brand name with the Figo
HI Gemi,

I'v been closely following this thread and so far things do not seem to be improving around Figo FE factor which is indeed a matter of great concern.

BTW, I checked on Ford India's website and it does use Duratorq name with Figo diesel. Here's the reference:

Ford Figo - Ford Figo Home
Old 7th May 2010, 10:35   #411
BHPian

One of the dealer here ha put the TDci milage cutout stand along with the feature list. its 19.1 kmpl (D)
Old 7th May 2010, 10:48   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Even the underbody coating would not really save you after those underbody scrapes unless you keep re-protecting the scraped parts.
Yes, and that's where the 3 year warranty helps. Its been 4.5 years and they still touch it up during service. From what I have seen, its a thick coating and unless you scrape something sharp, its probably going to do its job.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:48   #413
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
How much does it cost to get under body corrosion prevention treatment done? Which brand is the best?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Balaji Agencies promised a warranty for 5 years for the 3M UB coating.

Cost mentioned was 3500.
I'm thinking of going for it.
Quote:
Something i have always wondered. And thats why i have never gone for such gimmicks.
It is better to buy a good brand like Waxoyl and give to the water service station guy during a regular water wash. Pay him extra 200 he will spray completely in front of us after the underparts become dry. Will have remaining paint also which can be done again after 8-12 months.
Old 7th May 2010, 15:18   #414
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I read in some of the TDCi posts that we must run the engine in idle for 1 minute before switching off ?

1. Whats the technical reason behind this?
2. Wont this further reduce the FE

3. Also one taxi driver told me after you start the TDCi run it for 1 minute before you drive !!! more fuel wastage or some technical reason behind it?

4. Also what is the run-in period for TDCi?

Thanks !
Old 7th May 2010, 16:07   #415
BHPian

Yes, its mentioned in the Owners Handbook. Before moving and before switching off wait for 30 seconds. This is done so that the Turbo does not get damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha100 View Post
Hi Folks,

I read in some of the TDCi posts that we must run the engine in idle for 1 minute before switching off ?

1. Whats the technical reason behind this?
2. Wont this further reduce the FE

3. Also one taxi driver told me after you start the TDCi run it for 1 minute before you drive !!! more fuel wastage or some technical reason behind it?

4. Also what is the run-in period for TDCi?

Thanks !
Old 7th May 2010, 17:07   #416
BHPian

^ 30 seconds or one minute?
Old 7th May 2010, 17:16   #417
RGK
Senior - BHPian

+1, to run it for a minute or 2 will help the engine to heat up to its normal temp and the sound and vibrations (evident in older engines) become less. If you notice regularly the engine beat becomes even when the engine reaches its optimum temperature. Engine wont consume much of fuel during idling
Old 7th May 2010, 17:33   #418
BHPian

Is the missing temperature gauge an issue?
Old 7th May 2010, 18:34   #419
BHPian

In my 6 years with WagonR, there was a single time when the solenoid coil had failed because of rain. That time the temp gauge showed hot, and I stopped running the car to avoid further damage.

Its vital, but I have limited knowledge on its uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Is the missing temperature gauge an issue?
Old 7th May 2010, 18:37   #420
Senior - BHPian

50 Things you wont know when you test drive a Figo.

Here are a list of things you wont see in the brochures and might not notice during a test drive.

• The Dash (especially the black ones) and front glass heat up so badly that the 150cc compressor takes more than usual time to cool down the cabin.
  • The Seat covers on the Zxi and Titanium are different from the Lxi and ExiThe Brake disks/drums are larger on the Titanium
  • The low fuel warning lights come "on" with some chimes when the DTE shows 80km
  • The in dash lights have theatre dimming when turned on/off
  • The lights on the music system and the ODO/Trip/DTE display dims when you turn on the headlights.
  • The music system starts playing music everytime you complete making a call on the bluetooth system.
  • Even the Exi comes with tachometers and silver finish around music system and a/c vents. Higher variants get silver on the gear knob and door handles too.
  • With most people the coral dash seems to sink in after the initial and later on they tend to like it for its "different look".
  • The Steering makes a hissing sound while being turned.
  • The Steering does not perfectly go back to 12 '0 clock position after being turned.
  • Most people find it very easy to scrape the underbody. Thanks to the wheelbase larger than even the Fusion!!
  • The Lxi comes with half wheel caps, no tacho and no silver finish inside.
  • The rear bumper is not perfectly aligned on most cars. Similarly the gap between the boot and the rear lights/body are different on left and right sides on most cars.
  • Rear Wipers are close to a necessity on highways in rain.
  • On the drivers side only the driver side power window switch has a backlight.
  • The headlight on/off switch has a backlight that is always "on" irrespective of if the headlights are turned on/off. The backlight of the icons around the switch comes "on" only when the switch is turned "on".
  • Even when the ignition key is not inserted you can play the music system. It turns off automatically after an hour when played like this.
  • The rear window winders always tend to roll down the windows a little with rear passengers legs hitting it while getting in/out.
  • If the headlights are in "on" position and you turn off the engine only the park lights would stay "on".
  • If you open the door when par lights are "on" you would be notified with some chimes
  • Every time you turn on the ignition you hear 4 chimes when all dash lights turn on and another 4 chimes when all dash lights turn off. Start the car only after that
  • On Diesels Idle for atleast 30 seconds before starting to drive and before stoping the engine. Its good for the life of the turbo.
  • On Diesels Touch 3K rpm once in a week and maintin it for around 30 seconds. It keeps the exhaust system clean
  • On Diesels Revving the engine above 3K is useless Change gears at around 1750-2250 for F.E
  • The rear light console has a few chambers with no bulb
  • When the car is locked press the lock button on the key twice to make the indicator flash 4 times. Good to identify your car when parked in crowded car parking areas.
  • To open the boot you need to press the button on the key twice
  • The key can be programmed to open all four doors or just the drivers door.
  • When fixing fog lamps the front bumper needs to be removed and the headlight on/off switch is also changed. To turn on the fogs pull up the new headlight switch
  • There are no rear fog lamps being provided on the Figo
  • Ford is yet to annouce if they would give 4th year extended warranty on the Figo range. For now just this car from Ford range comes with only 3rd year extended warranty.
  • Ford has not provided Total Maintenance Plans for the Figo till date.
  • The Petrol Figo has a very linear power delivery. It loves to be revved to give out some power in the mid range. But most owners still felt it is slightly inadequate.
  • You might hear a "thud" from the suspension on uneven roads when not fully loaded and the car is new.
  • Owners with the Titanium variant complain of having to press hard for the horn to activate
  • A nice set of Alloys and some wider tyre changes the entire look of this car. (Wider tyres might void warranty)
  • There is no seatbelt warning on the Figo. The one that shows up during the engine check is said to be the seatbelt pre tensioner check. If that is true its something that no other car in this category has AFAIK.
  • When the car is running if you open any of the doors you will b alerted by a set of chimes.
  • You wont be able to open the boot once the car has crossed a sped of 7km/hr
  • All four doors auto lock once the car crosses a speed of 7km/hr. Open the lock on all or one door and the next time you cross 7km/hr speed the doors auto lock again.
  • After a water spray wiping with the wipers they automatically come back "on" after 3 seconds to wiper off the dripping water. But most people thought the gap should have been a bit longer.
  • The Figo gets just 2 free services. One at 2500km/3 months and next at 10,000km/1 year. Remember-Free means you'll have to pay for consumables.
  • IF you decide to buy one. No immediate braking/acceleration/flooring the accelertor for the first 500km(even the tyres need to run-in). Ford recommends to be kind with the engine (especially on highways) for the first 1500km.
  • System G is recommended for the Petrol 1.2 but no additives for the TDCi 1.4. Just normal Diesel from a reputed pump.
  • When you close the bonnet NEVER put her down slowly and then push it to get the lock activated. It could lead to dents on the bonnet. Just raise her a little and leave it. It'll fall down and lock. Ignore the noise. Its better than a dent.
  • The door open lights come on only after the engine is started
  • The Figo comes with practically no bumper in front and rear. To make things worse the famous "Dog Bar" that we find on the fiesta is not present o the Figo to save the radiator.
  • There are a few "rattle busters" put in by ford. One for the seatbelt hook when not in use and for the rear parcel tray hinge.
  • Ford has used the steering rod cover from the Fiesta and hence dont get scared when you find a vacant space (hole) where the steering adjustment knob is supposed to be.
  • The plastic console around the gear knob that extends from the gear knob console has a rear cup holder and is there only on the Titanium Variant.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th May 2010 at 13:19.
gemithomas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks