Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 21:52   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha100 View Post
As per the maximum FE thread, today's engines will cut off fuel supply when in gear and the accelerator pedal is not pressed !
Is it? Then how does the RPM remain in a 'greater than idle' state ?
Old 1st May 2010, 22:00   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Kerala is more of uphill and downhill roads. Need to be in lower gears at more occassions. Is Polo diesel motor - 3 or 4 cyls
Which part of Kerala are you talking about? Polo is 3cyl.
Old 1st May 2010, 22:06   #363
BHPian

@RGK: I know Gemi lives in Kerala. What I am saying is that a Fusion with a TDCi engine in Navi Mumbai will give about 18 kmpl max in city. IMO that is what one can realistically target at least on Highways. I really don't know how bad the traffic is in Kerala though. Few trips to Trichur were not that bad, it's like cake walk as compared to Bangalore.

The point is, Fusion is heavier than even the Fiesta. Now if that can post such numbers with 15" wheels and Goodyear GT3, a lighter car with smaller wheels should be able to post better numbers.
Old 2nd May 2010, 09:04   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Gemi,
I wanted to put this in my thread, but since you are upset by your mileage, thought would do it here. But I am not sure whether it would be of help, though!

The car was delivered with 14km and it took in 42.80L to the brim. We had to go to the Redington office in Cochin North and finally it was 107km when it reached Alleppey and a tank fill. It took in 10.27L giving an 8.86kpl.

The next fill was when it was at 300. It took 14.17L giving 13.62kpl. The last fill at 433km was with 8.76L giving 15.18kpl.

The run upto 300 is more of highway than town. The last 133km was a visit to the number plate shop in Palarivattom and a visit to Tyrex and back to Alleppey. 2km in Alleppey town.

All of it with AC on.

You are better off!

Though it is just a perception, the Figo engine feels tighter than the Manza engine.
Oh! my God! This sounds like mileage figures of a GTX. With you having experience driving diesels earlier i dont think you would be driving the wrong way. Most of us getting such figures had just moved from years of driving petrols. Just out of curiosity. What rpm's do you change gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
went through some reviews in other sites about Figo mileage
-one person has told that he has got 21km/l and given his mob no. SMSed him.
-one person has got 11.6km/l in city driving.
21 on highway?!! Thats a real good figure. Do let us know of his reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
@RGK: I know Gemi lives in Kerala. What I am saying is that a Fusion with a TDCi engine in Navi Mumbai will give about 18 kmpl max in city. IMO that is what one can realistically target at least on Highways. I really don't know how bad the traffic is in Kerala though. Few trips to Trichur were not that bad, it's like cake walk as compared to Bangalore.

The point is, Fusion is heavier than even the Fiesta. Now if that can post such numbers with 15" wheels and Goodyear GT3, a lighter car with smaller wheels should be able to post better numbers.
That takes us to the basic question. What differences have ford made to the TDCi before plonking them into these cars. The Ikon returned the maximum FE AFAIK. I've heard you could roll on from second on the ikon without any issue. That is certainly not possible on the Figo. Maybe mustang could help us on this. Or maybe the RTI Act
Old 2nd May 2010, 09:21   #365
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading in ACI that Ford is doing cost cutting by manufacturing engines (1.2 Petrol and 1.4 Diesel) for the Figo at Chennai itself. Does this mean anything ?
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:10   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
That takes us to the basic question. What differences have ford made to the TDCi before plonking them into these cars. The Ikon returned the maximum FE AFAIK. I've heard you could roll on from second on the ikon without any issue. That is certainly not possible on the Figo. Maybe mustang could help us on this. Or maybe the RTI Act
Well it's either something in the Engine or the Gear Box. With that much torque, it should ideally roll from second.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:18   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
My dear friend, I too had similar doubts, but the experts on this forum discussed a lot and they say the 'modern engines (read ECU) will cut of fuel supply when there is enough momentum and the gas pedal is not pressed' !! they say that the momentum will make the engine perform the RPMs without any fuel the logic is when u supply electricity to a fan it turns and creates air flow, now if the fan is off and wind blows the fan turns and generates electricity.

The above is what i understood from that great maximum FE thread. Have fun.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:32   #368
BHPian

Are Apollo tyres still being fitted on the latest Figos that are due for delivery in May?
Are most Fifo owners getting 15 kmph in city driving?
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:06   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
To add to what Yamaha as already stated you can look here.

Fuel economy-maximizing behaviors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Coasting or gliding
The alternative to acceleration and braking is coasting. Coasting is an efficient means of slowing down, because kinetic energy is dissipated as aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance, which must always be overcome by the vehicle during travel. When coasting with the engine running and manual transmission in neutral, or clutch depressed, there will still be some fuel consumption due to the engine needing to maintain idle engine speed. While coasting with the engine running and the transmission in gear, most cars' engine control unit with fuel injection will cut off fuel supply, and the engine will continue running, being driven by the wheels. Compared to coasting in neutral, this has an increased drag, but has the added safety benefit of being able to react in any sudden change in a potential dangerous traffic situation, and being in the right gear when acceleration is required.

- Wikipedia
Which essentially means you need to be in gear to take advantage of the Fuel Cutoff by the ECU. If you press the clutch to release the engine of load OR put the car in neutral, then the Engine will return to idling speed and consumption.

As opposed to in Gear.
The fuel which operates the engine will be replaced by the momentum of the vehicle operating the engine. Zero fuel goes into the Engine (it seems) and if you press the gas pedal, the vehicle will move forward with a lunge due to the sudden change in Power input.

If you need to slow down for a signal, just anticipate the stop far ahead and release the gas pedal. The car will keep slowing down. Works best in 3rd gear. Wait till the last possible moment to depress the clutch and brake and shift to Neutral. Same goes for Speed Breakers as well.
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:43   #370
BHPian

Very useful tips there!
Now I'm just waiting for my Figo to come home.
Can anyone provide some details for the initial run-in period?
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:52   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Are Apollo tyres still being fitted on the latest Figos that are due for delivery in May?
Are most Fifo owners getting 15 kmph in city driving?
I guess you are supposed to get your car in May. Dont worry. Apollo's are not being given now AFAIK. And the FE part. I'm sure we'll figure out whats wrong and we all will be getting that kind of mileage in city.

Meanwhile. Can someone help me with what these things are. I assume the pics 3 and 4 are the Turbo but wanted to confirm Also where is the Oil Filter located on the TDCi. Tried to find it out but in vain
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03885.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03886.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03887.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03888.jpg  

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-dsc03890.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2010, 16:00   #372
Senior - BHPian

2nd last pic - Engine oil filter
Last pic - OBD port

Turbo should be towards the dashboard
Old 2nd May 2010, 16:10   #373
BHPian

Those are terrific pics of the Figo, inside out!
Enjoying the in-depth coverage.
Thanks Gemithomas, GTO and everyone else.
Old 2nd May 2010, 16:12   #374
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

1st and 2nd picture are just rubber mounts to hold the bonnet guess.
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:18   #375
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Oh! my God! This sounds like mileage figures of a GTX. With you having experience driving diesels earlier i dont think you would be driving the wrong way. Most of us getting such figures had just moved from years of driving petrols. Just out of curiosity. What rpm's do you change gears?
I am not worried, yet. I still drive my Manza and Figo like I drive my Marina. The RPM rarely crosses 2000 especially in Figo. I just change gears instinctively rather than by looking at the RPM, maybe around 1800+ and since I don't cross 70kph, the cruising is at around 1800RPM.

The Manza and the Figo have different characteristics from what little that I know of them. But Manza appears to be easier to get good mileage, though the Figo engine should be better going by the Fiesta experiences.

The gearing may be different, Figo might be heavier and the Figo aerodynamics might be inferior to Fiesta's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Well it's either something in the Engine or the Gear Box. With that much torque, it should ideally roll from second.
Well, I have stalled the maximum number of times when I inadvertantly try to move in second after stopping in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
There was a March car with Apollos in the showroom when I went for my car delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Last pic - OBD port
Absolutely right and the Scanguage II is working like charm in the Figo. The normal cruising water temperature is 84 degree Centigrade (same in the Honda City).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
1st and 2nd picture are just rubber mounts to hold the bonnet guess.
No. Both the pictures show the same thing and it does not come into contact with the bonnet.

ECU cover?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks