Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 10:17   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Now that is a bad generalaization when you say figo owners do not have any experience in Diesel. Coming back to Linea, I cleary told some people will report exceptional mileage but every one may not get it.
True and sorry for that.
But the fact is, most people not getting desired mileage will voice their opinion. Most people getting anywhere near claimed milage probably wont even bother as it is expected.

Regarding switching from Petrol to Diesel. For that matter Ford to Honda, Suzuki to Ford. IMO All switches need time to get accustomed to first and then one should get into the area of FE.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:15   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
@ Gemi - To be frank the FE figures are not encouraging. Is the high powered A/c compressor the culprit. Anything less than 18km/l on highway is low mileage in modern day diesels. May be + or - 1km can be sacrificed for different driving styles. Your mileage worries me a lot.
How about drive4tech MJD of Vista ???
I suppose the Fiesta has the same size AC compressor! Hence that reason is ruled out.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:31   #348
Senior - BHPian

Gemi
Reset the ECU and then check the FE.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:05   #349
BHPian

Hi Gemi

I too have a doubt about Figo TDCi FE now !!

My past readings have been 17.7 kmpl on highway (with 100% ac) with 3 people on board.

I was reading the great thread on team bhp where they talked about how to maximize the FE. There i observed that tyre pressure is an important factor.

As per the Figo manual for light load the pressure must be 30(f)/36(r) and for full load it is 36(f)/41(r).

Now when i checked my tyre pressure it was 30(f)/30(r)
I usually drive with 3/4 people and some luggage on board, so it might be more convenient for me to set the pressure to 34(f)/40(r). I have done this now and i will check the FE for the next couple of full tank to full tanks. Let me see how this impacts the FE.

Another big factor is the load. You FE can change considerable with 1 person on board v/s 4 people on board. So when you are trying to compare FE with others this factor is ignored, so is the tyre pressure.

Yes the FE numbers are worrisome but I would hold back my own opinions until I test out the FE with higher tyre pressure and light footed driving.

Oh did i forgot to mention about the 'engine breaking' ? As per the maximum FE thread, today's engines will cut off fuel supply when in gear and the accelerator pedal is not pressed ! Until now i used to just put the gear to neutral when i was going downhill

Try the above tips i mentioned, then lets compare the FE on highways. City FE comparison can be quite difficult as the variables are too many. Also i drive around 70-80 kmph on my highway drives.

cheers.
Yamaha
Old 1st May 2010, 12:09   #350
BHPian

Question to the Experts

I heard that the Fiesta TDCi is a euro III engine and some filters were added to create the Figo TDCi euro IV engine.

If the above is true would this kind of additional filters not have any impact on the FE and power/torque? I hope this is not a stupid question. If it is please dont jump on me
Old 1st May 2010, 13:21   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha100 View Post
Question to the Experts

I heard that the Fiesta TDCi is a euro III engine and some filters were added to create the Figo TDCi euro IV engine.

If the above is true would this kind of additional filters not have any impact on the FE and power/torque? I hope this is not a stupid question. If it is please dont jump on me.
Valid point. But being Euro IV would only mean that it becomes a little better at doing it's job and more efficient.

Quote:
Oh did i forgot to mention about the 'engine breaking' ? As per the maximum FE thread, today's engines will cut off fuel supply when in gear and the accelerator pedal is not pressed ! Until now i used to just put the gear to neutral when i was going downhill
Engine braking would try and revert the car back to it's idling RPM as much as possible. If the engine does not meet the power requirement, it will knock and stall. Going downhill in a lower gear will result in the RPM increasing as the engine tries to match the downhill speed. It will not return to idling RPM.

To add, putting the car in Neutral while going Downhill on hilly roads is a Big risk to take as the gear box is the only true connection between the driver and the car. The driver will always have better control with the gearbox engaged than without. Any gear with ratios lower than 1 like in 5th (+ 4th in Fusion and Fiesta Petrol) is also of no use going downhill and engine braking.

Switching the engine off for stops more than 3 minutes also helps. Less than 3 minutes in some cases will result in higher consumption. Don't how much of it is true but worked well for me. The touching advertisement on TV is not entirely true.

My petrol is due anytime coming week and will know in a few weeks what really works to get milage out of the motor.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:05   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
gemi, the realistic mileage under a regular driving style would indeed be 15 and 18. It can be extended if you drive with a very light foot in the city and cruise in 5th gear at 80 on the highway, but then it will get boring as well. As for people claiming higher mileage, maybe they have a light foot, maybe they drive in less start-stop traffic, or maybe they are just plain exaggerating in an attempt to avoid post purchase dissonance.
Thanks. Even i was of that opinion. I never thought that a car could return 18km/l in city. But who ever i ask tells me they know someone who claims to be getting that. My sales guy at ford told me that an ikon owner told him that he once got 28km/l on highway. He is very sure that the Figo should be giving an average of close to 18km/l. Here people claim to be getting the same from the mjd's and DDiS's. The Figo being less heavy than the Fiesta and it being BSIV made me think that i surely should be getting more than 14-15 average.

Quote:
The mileage of a car slowly takes a normal distribution statistically with so many people with different driving styles reporting their figures. We have to look at the mean value to get a clear picture. From what all we have heard till now Figo is not up to the mark on mileage front with no one reporting exceptional figures. I remember some one reporting highway figures of above 20-22 in some Linea thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Agreed Gilead. But the issue is inconsistency among all owners. City mileage is very low. With 100% AC on it is expected to return 14km, but it is 12 and no body has touched 18km/l in highway.

That is the point. Atleast one or two should have got better FE's. Figo was expected to return better mileage figures than Fiesta. Almost all logan owners easily got between 18-22 on highway at a average speed of 100kmph. Swift Dzire DDIS driven constantly at 80 with A/c on got 23 immediately after delivery of the vehicle. I think I am too much worrying about Figo's FE now
Need to wait and see from rural owners where FE's are expected to be better
Exactly. I hear some getting 12 in city and some getting 14 in city. No one has reported extra ordinary figures like in the case of competitors. The mean value is no where close to the claims of Ford / their Dealers. If this is all the car can deliver i think the dealers are slow poisoning the Figo brand by raising the customers expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
From my personal experience, I have realised that CRDi start giving true F E figures after about 10,000-15,000 km of running. I think the owners need to be patient. I have got 23 kpl without AC over 700 km of Himachal Hills (both uphill and downhill) on my Palio Multijet
Just hoping you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
I don't think many New Figo owners have any experience with Diesels to start with. Most would be shifting from a Petrol and would take time to get adjusted. This would show on the FE figures for some months to come. Owners with experience on the TDCi from their earlier car can probably check how much they are getting.
Quote:
Now that is a bad generalaization when you say figo owners do not have any experience in Diesel. Coming back to Linea, I cleary told some people will report exceptional mileage but every one may not get it.
Quote:
True and sorry for that.
But the fact is, most people not getting desired mileage will voice their opinion. Most people getting anywhere near claimed milage probably wont even bother as it is expected.

Regarding switching from Petrol to Diesel. For that matter Ford to Honda, Suzuki to Ford. IMO All switches need time to get accustomed to first and then one should get into the area of FE.
However bad you drive what is the highway mileage you think anyone should get from these new generation diesels. I'm afraid i got way below my expectation on two occasions. Once in rain and once when i floored her. Both times the highway mileage was close to City mileage. Thats was one thing i never expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Gemi
Will do that.

Quote:
Hi Gemi

I too have a doubt about Figo TDCi FE now !!

My past readings have been 17.7 kmpl on highway (with 100% ac) with 3 people on board.

As per the Figo manual for light load the pressure must be 30(f)/36(r) and for full load it is 36(f)/41(r).

Until now i used to just put the gear to neutral when i was going downhill

Try the above tips i mentioned, then lets compare the FE on highways. City FE comparison can be quite difficult as the variables are too many. Also i drive around 70-80 kmph on my highway drives.

cheers.
Yamaha
I have got close to 17 on my first highway trip when i drove very sedately since the car had not done even 1500km.

The pressure mentioned is 30F-30R for 1-3 people and 36F-41R for more. Its written just below the passenger side seat when you open the door. But if you maintain that the ride would be pretty harsh.

Dont use neutral while going downhill. Its dangerous.

Quote:
Question to the Experts

If the above is true would this kind of additional filters not have any impact on the FE and power/torque? I hope this is not a stupid question. If it is please dont jump on me
Nothing stupid. I too would love to know.

Quote:
Valid point. But being Euro IV would only mean that it becomes a little better at doing it's job and more efficient.
My petrol is due anytime coming week and will know in a few weeks what really works to get milage out of the motor.
I thought you were getting the TDCi.
Old 1st May 2010, 19:53   #353
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gemi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Have done around 2700km. I am currently running on my 5th full tank of Diesel.
1st Tank fill - 14.5km/l (70% City and 30% Highway and around 30min idling with a/c on)
2nd Tank fill - 13.5km/l (Full City Driving)
3rd Tank fill - 15.5km/l (50% City and 50% Highway with 200km in very heavy rains)
4th Tank fill - 14.5km/l (70% City and 30% highway with some 100km pedal to metal driving)
Or can i expect the FE figures to improve.
I wanted to put this in my thread, but since you are upset by your mileage, thought would do it here. But I am not sure whether it would be of help, though!

The car was delivered with 14km and it took in 42.80L to the brim. We had to go to the Redington office in Cochin North and finally it was 107km when it reached Alleppey and a tank fill. It took in 10.27L giving an 8.86kpl.

The next fill was when it was at 300. It took 14.17L giving 13.62kpl. The last fill at 433km was with 8.76L giving 15.18kpl.

The run upto 300 is more of highway than town. The last 133km was a visit to the number plate shop in Palarivattom and a visit to Tyrex and back to Alleppey. 2km in Alleppey town.

All of it with AC on.

You are better off!

Though it is just a perception, the Figo engine feels tighter than the Manza engine.
Old 1st May 2010, 20:04   #354
Senior - BHPian

If we are seeing such mileage figures in Kerala which to me is not so congested, I wonder what will be the situation in a place like Bangalore where you can get the lowest mileage for a car. Any Bhpian with diesel Figo in Bangalore should report the figures.Looks like Diesel figo is competing with petrol cars in the mileage category.Interesting to watch out for the mileage of Polo diesel to be launched this month.

Last edited by poloman : 1st May 2010 at 20:18.
Old 1st May 2010, 20:34   #355
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Gemi

Yes. This seems to be a valid point.
Old 1st May 2010, 20:39   #356
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Kind request to Ford guys
-Do take up these inconsistent & poor FE feedbacks to Ford
Atleast they can analyse what went wrong in the delivered batches as they found out the swerving issue with a batch of Apollos
PS: Posting this in the review thread also
Old 1st May 2010, 20:43   #357
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If we are seeing such mileage figures in Kerala which to me is not so congested, I wonder what will be the situation in a place like Bangalore where you can get the lowest mileage for a car. Any Bhpian with diesel Figo in Bangalore should report the figures.Looks like Diesel figo is competing with petrol cars in the mileage category.Interesting to watch out for the mileage of Polo diesel to be launched this month.
Kerala is more of uphill and downhill roads. Need to be in lower gears at more occassions. Is Polo diesel motor - 3 or 4 cyls
Old 1st May 2010, 21:08   #358
BHPian

Quote:
However bad you drive what is the highway mileage you think anyone should get from these new generation diesels. I'm afraid i got way below my expectation on two occasions. Once in rain and once when i floored her. Both times the highway mileage was close to City mileage. Thats was one thing i never expected.
You should target more than 18 in Navi Mumbai for the TDCi. A friend's Fusion gives that much. In a place like Bangalore it will be the worst case scenario. I seriously hope that the mileage figures on the Figo TDCis improve over time. It seems physically wrong that a larger car with the same engine should post better mileage after working as a Taxi for more than a year.

Quote:
I thought you were getting the TDCi.
Nope. I am getting a 1.2 Duratec. The car is for wife's office commute and to recover the premium over the price of Diesel it would take about 8 years of running that car. Target distance in a week is 150 kms or less.
Old 1st May 2010, 21:32   #359
RGK
Senior - BHPian

went through some reviews in other sites about Figo mileage
-one person has told that he has got 21km/l and given his mob no. SMSed him.
-one person has got 11.6km/l in city driving.
Old 1st May 2010, 21:36   #360
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should target more than 18 in Navi Mumbai for the TDCi. A friend's Fusion gives that much. In a place like Bangalore it will be the worst case scenario. I seriously hope that the mileage figures on the Figo TDCis improve over time. It seems physically wrong that a larger car with the same engine should post better mileage after working as a Taxi for more than a year.
Gemi lives in Kerala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks