Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2013, 17:44   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: SwiftnFurious' Swift VDi ABS - 20K, 30K, 60K, 80K Service updates on Pg 1, 2, 4 &

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for the pointer. I believe this is close to the petrol bunk before Collectorate? I would rather source the stuff and have it replaced in MA$$!
Right. I remember once you asked about Maruti spares. There is one at Vadavathor. IIRC, Popular is the dealer. Opposite to Muthoot Lifebrigade hospital, opposite Enfield and Tata showrooms. I think my Maruti FNG sources spares from them. You might want to check that out too.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 19:24   #107
BANNED

Re: SwiftnFurious' Swift VDi ABS - 20K, 30K, 60K, 80K Service updates on Pg 1, 2, 4 &

Hi SwiftnFurious,

Even my Ritz VDi has completed 81000 kms and has got back from the 80K service.

Was shocked to see the bill of 11626/- Are you using synthetic engine oil or mineral? How is the car post servicing? As I see your car is 4 years old.

One more doubt what is wheel stud? My car too had the replacement of the wheel stud of the left front wheel. Is there a rule to replace the brake pads on the basis of kms clocked rather than seeing the condition of the brake pad and taking a decision for replacement.

The brake pads in mine were replaced without any permission for which I fired them so they gave the old ones are deducted the brake pads price from the bill.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 26th February 2013, 00:06   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is there a rule to replace the brake pads on the basis of kms clocked rather than seeing the condition of the brake pad and taking a decision for replacement.

The brake pads in mine were replaced without any permission for which I fired them so they gave the old ones are deducted the brake pads price from the bill.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Brake pads - There is no instruction from Maruti to change the brake pad after a specific Km. You can change it based on the condition. I have seen some SAs saying that brake pad needs to be changed after 20-30K Kms.

I changed mine @ 43K Kms. It was good for another 5-7K Kms, but due to couple of long drives I didn't want to take a chance.
Old 26th February 2013, 17:00   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Brake pads - There is no instruction from Maruti to change the brake pad after a specific Km. You can change it based on the condition. I have seen some SAs saying that brake pad needs to be changed after 20-30K Kms.

I changed mine @ 43K Kms. It was good for another 5-7K Kms, but due to couple of long drives I didn't want to take a chance.
Arun,

The SA's here are adamant and say that whatever may the condition be of the brake pad we have to change it at every even number service intervals (20K, 40K, 60K, etc). They also say that the even numbers ervices are very crucial for the car and its life as all the Fluids needs to be changed.

I had changed mine last at 40K and the next at 80K. Since I have 80% highway driving brake usage is low so the life I get is longer. No point in changing them every 20K kms. I had clearly informed the SA while handing over the car for service but still they have changed
Hope these SA's get practical and understand the customer.

Anurag.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:17   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Was shocked to see the bill of 11626/- Are you using synthetic engine oil or mineral? How is the car post servicing? As I see your car is 4 years old.
I have had a 12K bill for the last two services (60K & 80K). I use mineral oil only, but I had to get my steering & suspension overhauled both times owing to bad roads in my native. These two work adds up close to 3K or so.

Car is doing fairly well. I still have some (extra) noise coming while spooling turbo, I am NOT surely it's normal or not; since I had some problem with intercooler and probably my mind is trained NOT to accept it as normal. The MA$$ guys vouch it's quite normal for the car.

Anyway I am planning to test couple of cars and might test the intercooler too and replace if I feel it's NOT normal. Will surely update after that.

Quote:
..One more doubt what is wheel stud? My car too had the replacement of the wheel stud of the left front wheel...
Those projecting 5 small rods are wheel studs. They remove it when the thread busts and they can't get the nut out of the wheel; instead have to cut the stud into two. This also requires opening up a lot more components.

SwiftnFurious' Swift VDi ABS - 20K, 30K, 60K, 80K Service updates on Pg 1, 2, 4 & 5-wheel_stud_conversion.jpg

Image taken from internet; copyright - original uploader.

Quote:
...Is there a rule to replace the brake pads on the basis of kms clocked rather than seeing the condition of the brake pad and taking a decision for replacement...
Quote:
...The SA's here are adamant and say that whatever may the condition be of the brake pad we have to change it at every even number service intervals (20K, 40K, 60K, etc). They also say that the even numbers ervices are very crucial for the car and its life as all the Fluids needs to be changed...
Load of bull crap! Please ask them to show it in the manual. They are milking the customers. With your usage, I expect the brake pads to last atleast 35K kms. With almost NO city usage, my last pads last 55K kms and the first one with quite a lot of city usage last 35K kms.

Quote:
...Since I have 80% highway driving brake usage is low so the life I get is longer. No point in changing them every 20K kms. I had clearly informed the SA while handing over the car for service but still they have changed ...Hope these SA's get practical and understand the customer...
I think you should send a mail to Maruti. If you don't do, they will keep on doing these kind of crap. Mention the A$$ and if possible your SA name too, they will NEVER make the mistake of messing with you.

Very recently, I shook down an entire A$$ with a mail and I can feel some of the SAs trembling (though that was NEVER my intention) when I check the car and point some issues. Though I feel bad for the SAs, now they go the extra mile to get things sorted out even before I point those.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th February 2013 at 11:21.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 12:40   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arun,

The SA's here are adamant and say that whatever may the condition be of the brake pad we have to change it at every even number service intervals (20K, 40K, 60K, etc). They also say that the even numbers ervices are very crucial for the car and its life as all the Fluids needs to be changed.

I had changed mine last at 40K and the next at 80K. Since I have 80% highway driving brake usage is low so the life I get is longer. No point in changing them every 20K kms. I had clearly informed the SA while handing over the car for service but still they have changed
Hope these SA's get practical and understand the customer.

Anurag.
Changing brake pads at every 20 thousand km is murder. IN careful hands they will easily last 40 to 50 k. F1fan has a 65 thousand run Dzire and his brake pads are still the company ones.

I changed mine at 30 k first, 60 k second and am on 3rd set now at 71 thousand km.
Old 2nd March 2013, 17:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Bosh diesel equipments are available at K K Diesels
Typo. Bosch indeed.

I had been closer to your part (I guess) of Kottayam today, towards east. There is a new (it seems) Bosch Service Center between Ponkunnam and Kanjirapally, near to Indus Motors, opposite to the Apollo tire center.
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:09   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Typo. Bosch indeed.

I had been closer to your part (I guess) of Kottayam today, towards east. There is a new (it seems) Bosch Service Center between Ponkunnam and Kanjirapally, near to Indus Motors, opposite to the Apollo tire center.
That's indeed very close to my home, say 4 kms. I didn't notice this centre till now, though I guess I took some u-turns in front of that. Will keep an eye open on it. Thanks anyway!
Old 6th March 2013, 17:29   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a 200 km round trip day before; to Cochin and back. The car had the same "air leak" sound pronounced while spooling turbo and the other two passengers also could hear it well. Out of those, one owns a Swift VDi and said the car is NOT as fun to drive as his Swift because of the muted turbo thrust. He felt the car is like a powered Indica with good (linear) pick up (The guys in MA$$ swear the car is all right though!).

The car still returns very good FE. Got around ~18 kmpl on the Cochin trip with 3 on-board and quite some idling with A/C ON and also not smooth traffic. Today did another 70 kms and again it showed around ~19 kmpl with quite a lot of A/C + idle.

Now a days I don't feel like driving it in the turbo zone!! Will have to check with the MA$$ one last time to verify whether it's indeed the intercooler acting up!

(ex) Swift Diesel owners, any other tips to check on something specific??

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th March 2013 at 17:30.
Old 6th March 2013, 17:45   #115
BHPian

Quote:
I have had a 12K bill for the last two services (60K & 80K). I use mineral oil only, but I had to get my steering & suspension overhauled both times owing to bad roads in my native. These two work adds up close to 3K or so.
Can you help me with the details of what all was changed/refurbished during the suspension/steering overhaul process.

I was told by the SA that the steering overhaul doesnt bring much needed change and it better to replace the entire assembly which was very surprising for me to digest.
Old 6th March 2013, 18:27   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I was told by the SA that the steering overhaul doesnt bring much needed change and it better to replace the entire assembly which was very surprising for me to digest.
What crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Can you help me with the details of what all was changed/refurbished during the suspension/steering overhaul process..
They change ONLY the rubber bushes. Let me see whether I can dig the details from my own report; I do NOT keep the bills.

Edit:: Details of suspension & steering O/H

Labour:

Suspension O/H (Front) - 815
Front strut both side R&R - 700
Steering O/H - 795
Rear wheel bearing - 300

Consumables:

Front strut support component - 234
Front stabilizer joint component x2 - 468
Front stabilizer mount - 401
Steering rack plunger - 540

Complete 80K service details:: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3019541

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th March 2013 at 18:31. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 19:05   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like this year (Aug 2012 - till date) of mine is dedicated to fines!!

1st fine - Sullia, Karnataka : For a expired pollution certificate. I believe I did renew it, but misplaced the certificate or was missed from the A$$ while taking my service manual. Got away with a Rs. 150/- fine

2nd fine : Kannur, Kerala : For the sun films; I was thinking of removing it after a long trip to Kollur - Mookambika, but disaster struck before completing the trip. Stripped of the film neatly then & there. Damage - Rs. 100/-

3rd fine - Vadavathur, Kottayam; for a "fancy" front number plate which did NOT confine to the rules & regulations from the "law" perspective. The fonts & designs and everything was fine, but the dimensions. Damage : Rs. 300/-

I did NOT even know it was wrong till I noticed other vehicles today. I did tell those guys 4 years back that it SHOULD confine to the laws. Anyway went ahead and got those number plates which I wanted from day 1 . Damage - Rs. 700/- (made them take the measurement and triple confirmed that the legal dimensions will be followed this time).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th March 2013 at 19:07.
Old 13th March 2013, 21:21   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

MRF ZLO - quick feedback

Positives:

- Low tyre noise
- Decent grip levels
- Comfortable ride

Negatives:

- Not as grippy as the GIII Potenza's I had
- Slightly more pronounced body roll

I really feel the car is NOT as agile in the corners as the GIII Potenzas. The car used to be well poised while cornering before, but with ZLOs, I feel the car roll a bit more, making me a bit less confident.

But on the other hand, the tyres are SUPER SILENT upto 100 kmph - that's all what I get to try now a days and the grip is decent. The tyres don't squeal around corners though I feel the roll!

Would like to know from people who have used / driven these brand of tyres!

Got a feedback call from AVG Motors, Thiruvalla and I requested them to have a re-check of the intercooler since the sound is prominent. I told them I would like to test another intercooler fitted onto my vehicle and test drive to confirm whether it indeed is the issue. They have agreed to it. Saturday should be the D-day! I really hope that's the issue though I might spend a handsome amount for it. Really want my car back with the same vigour! Fingers crossed!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th March 2013 at 21:23.
Old 13th March 2013, 22:09   #119
BANNED

Quote:
But on the other hand, the tyres are SUPER SILENT upto 100 kmph - that's all what I get to try now a days and the grip is decent. The tyres don't squeal around corners though I feel the roll!

Got a feedback call from AVG Motors, Thiruvalla and I requested them to have a re-check of the intercooler since the sound is prominent. I told them I would like to test another intercooler fitted onto my vehicle and test drive to confirm whether it indeed is the issue. They have agreed to it. Saturday should be the D-day! I really hope that's the issue though I might spend a handsome amount for it. Really want my car back with the same vigour! Fingers crossed!
Good to see the feedback of the tires you are using.

I am sorry but I have a dumb question to ask. May sound stupid.

Will maintaining low tire pressure (Air pressure) will lead to body roll with a little spongy ride?

Will they change the intercooler be changed temporarily for you to check your stock one? Labour charges and what if your stock intercooler is ok what will they do with the one that they will be fitting on yours after the testing?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 22:20   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2nd fine : Kannur, Kerala : For the sun films; I was thinking of removing it after a long trip to Kollur - Mookambika, but disaster struck before completing the trip. Stripped of the film neatly then & there. Damage - Rs. 100/-
Ah, there you go. So you wont be advising sun films again I guess

Is it because you have the black racing strip that the Police is keen in stopping you? Yes the road-side checking has been drastically increased these days and I had been lucky enough to keep slipping out of their eyes many a times.

The Angamaly-Thrissur highway is literally bombed with speed-cameras. I guess any over-speeding fine will be sent directly to home with pictures.

OT: After the initial running-in, I had fallen for your recommendation of red-lining the diesel to take her through the RPM range and to my own self-control-less-ness. To be frank, I didn't feel anything better happened and really don't think soot is a problem within 2000 kms (the soot at the exhaust goes off if you rub your fingers over it and the engine color has not yet changed to pitch black). The only difference I feel now is that the A/C compressor switches on with more jerk, whereas before, I never knew when it switched on. Here is a related post on red-lining.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks