Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 17:17   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
can someone provide the link of the raid pics here?
Raj, use the search feature

Here you go, check this thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ya-2009-a.html
Old 21st October 2009, 17:35   #107
Senior - BHPian

The Scorpio can tow a fully loaded Trailer containing either tea leaves or Coffee bags. Possibly weighing 1.5 tons with full payload. It can certainly tow another Scorpio which means it can easily tow 2.5 tons.

It is always better to use a rigid tow bar rather than the tow ropes and chains that many people use.

The vehicle needs to be in low gear and one should not accelerate too hard and fast while towing is in progress.

I dont think the towing capacity is mentioned in the manual though technically it should be. Indeed, outside of India, one needs a special permit to tow other vehicles.

This tow hook at the back of the Scorpio is a simple trailer hitch as pointed out by Samurai. It is bolted on to the cross bar of the chassis ladder itself and is pretty strong though not as strong as the heavy duty pintle hook system that one sees behind the Army Jeeps and Trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Doc, does the scorpio manual document the towing capacity or is it something that you have to infer from two types of weight limits specified in your earlier post (GVW and ULW)
Thanks
Old 21st October 2009, 20:16   #108
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Doc !!
Finallly Mahindra thought it wise to offer their 2.2 mhawk with 4x4. The Scorpio mhawk in 4x4 must surely be one very competent vehicle on & off the road. Im sure the additional weight upfront will surely improve the handling quite a bit compared to the 2wd version.

Now the Safari has some very serious competition. Finally enthusiasts looking for a 4x4 suv in the 1 million rupees budget have another option to choose from. This can only make things better from the buyers point of view.

Congrats again Doc. I will surely be looking forward to your ownership reports.

Cheers,
J
Old 21st October 2009, 20:39   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

First blood

Delhi traffic drew first blood this afternoon from my car. Was stopped in bumper-to-bumper traffic on Ring Road, an Eicher truck's tail on my left. A labourer/khalasi climbed down from the tailgate, lost his balance and used my ORVM to stabilize himself - and walked away.

The result:

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-20091021-1.jpg

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-20091021-2.jpg

and the traffic started moving again...

Worth approximately 2k with the dealer, but thankfully worth 1k (original stuff) with my spare parts shop. Oh, the joy of owning a Mahindra!

The next pic softened my mood a little - I wasn't the only victim of brutality committed on ORVMs...

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-20091021-3.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
The vehicles simply awesome. What better way to test than taking it for the 2009 Raid de himalaya.
BP, was this a stock production model or a one-off specifically made to enter the Raid? I believe the assembly line for the 4x4 mHawk started in the first week of August 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Is the 4x4 the Borg Warner system,or something else? Central diff? Diffs lockable? Freewheeling hubs:- how do you lock them? Like in the Gypsy?
The 4x4 is Borg Warner AFAIK, electric shift-on-the-fly. No centre diff, no lockable diff. Front hubs are freewheeling, automatic locking type, and engage when shifting into 4WH or 4WL mode. After shifting back to 2WH (normal mode), the car needs to be reversed about 2-3 metres for the front hubs to disengage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Doc, does the scorpio manual document the towing capacity or is it something that you have to infer from two types of weight limits specified in your earlier post (GVW and ULW)
Nope, no towing weight recommendations that I could find in the manual, except no towing is advised for the first 2500 km (and not to exceed 100 km/h for the first 1000 km).

A small mod done to the fuel filler cap - there was no attaching strap, and the fuel pump attendant almost forgot to fit the cap before closing the lid this morning.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-20091021.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2009, 21:01   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
.. A labourer/khalasi climbed down from the tailgate, lost his balance and used my ORVM to stabilize himself - and walked away...

..Worth approximately 2k with the dealer, but thankfully worth 1k (original stuff) with my spare parts shop...
Aah! that hurts.

Dada, is it possible to share the details/location of that shop?
(.. perhaps in Malviya ngr... I read it somewhere you had arranged an OVRM for your friend's NHC some time back)
Old 21st October 2009, 21:10   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Delhi traffic drew first blood this afternoon from my car. Was stopped in bumper-to-bumper traffic on Ring Road, an Eicher truck's tail on my left. A labourer/khalasi climbed down from the tailgate, lost his balance and used my ORVM to stabilize himself - and walked away.
The result:
and the traffic started moving again...
Worth approximately 2k with the dealer, but thankfully worth 1k (original stuff) with my spare parts shop. Oh, the joy of owning a Mahindra!

The next pic softened my mood a little - I wasn't the only victim of brutality committed on ORVMs...

A small mod done to the fuel filler cap - there was no attaching strap, and the fuel pump attendant almost forgot to fit the cap before closing the lid this morning.
The OVRM from the dealer costs 1.4 K here.Sorry to see it in that condition.Bad luck!
The mod job is very practical -in fact I'll also get it done on my Scorp.
Old 21st October 2009, 22:13   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The result:

Attachment 213535
I can understand the feeling on a brand new car. Commiserations Sir!
Quote:

So much difference still , but even 2k for an electric mirror is quite reasonable. I understand Baleno ones are for 5k+

Quote:

Attachment 213538
In the Bolero M&M gives a plastic but the darn plastic cord snapped on teh 2nd day itself due to poor quality. I'll also do the same mod Doc. Thanks
Old 21st October 2009, 22:40   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Congrats Doc !!
Congrats again Doc. I will surely be looking forward to your ownership reports.
Thanks, Jayant. Your congrats came so late, the ORVM couldn't wait! It fell asleep... LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
...is it possible to share the details/location of that shop?
Sent a PM to you with the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Aah! that hurts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Sorry to see it in that condition.Bad luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I can understand the feeling on a brand new car. Commiserations Sir!
It doesn't hurt as much because of the lower cost, and no paint/body damage! Both ORVMs on a friend's ANHC got ripped off by vandals, and even though I don't own or pay for the car, that really hurt - here's the link.
Quote:
The OVRM from the dealer costs 1.4 K here.
1.4k unpainted, I guess? I think the dealer added painting cost to the quote. The painted cover is not damaged, however, and I can just switch it between the ORVMs.
Quote:
The mod job is very practical -in fact I'll also get it done on my Scorp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
In the Bolero M&M gives a plastic but the darn plastic cord snapped on teh 2nd day itself due to poor quality. I'll also do the same mod Doc. Thanks
That's a soft stainless steel 26G wire we use in dentistry. Braided together 3 strands. Maybe I should patent it??

Incidentally, I temporarily fixed back the ORVM with Araldite - won't fold, but at least I can see what's behind, until I get the time to replace it. And aesthetically it looks fine.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st October 2009 at 22:44.
Old 21st October 2009, 22:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the mirror. But then part and parcel of life, live with it!!

Quote:
something all cars should have built into them!

Thank you. Look forward to your getting one too, so we can compare notes and meet at CCU in Dec.

I was told the colour options are either full white or full black. Never heard a silver cladding mentioned. And it's also available now as 4WD in SLE specs, apart from the VLX that I have.

The SLE seems to be with the old 2.6 CRDE Engine.

No purchases till next year. Was mostly interested in the Safari 2.2 vtt, but back to back driving of both made me tilt towards the scorp. However if by next year the new safari comes up thats a different story, but can't live with the body roll, and braking gymnastics, as well as the vague steering of the present one.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:11   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Sorry about the mirror. But then part and parcel of life, live with it!!
LOL - why live with it when it can be changed?
Quote:
The SLE seems to be with the old 2.6 CRDE Engine.
That's actually the SLX, not SLE - you're right - it's with the CRDe 2.6L engine .
Quote:
I stand corrected - the SLX is available in 4WD guise at @ Rs.9.66L. Check here. I'm not sure if that is the mHawk or CRDe engine.
Quote:
No purchases till next year. Was mostly interested in the Safari 2.2 vtt, but back to back driving of both made me tilt towards the scorp. However if by next year the new safari comes up thats a different story, but can't live with the body roll, and braking gymnastics, as well as the vague steering of the present one.
New 2010 Safari plus all-new SUV from Mahindra's stable should make for better choice.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:15   #116
Senior - BHPian

sarkar,

why not get the bonnet RVM - keeps things simple and (mostly) idiot proof! no?
Old 21st October 2009, 23:39   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
why not get the bonnet RVM - keeps things simple and (mostly) idiot proof! no?
Ever tried visualizing the rear with a bonnet-mounted RVM? I used to have that thing on our Amby, but never understood whatever it was showing me - too small, too far away.
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:12   #118
BHPian

Hey SS! I feel that ORVM accidents in case of SUVs are a rarity compared to cars. So, your's was plain bad luck. Anyways, just a suggestion... Buy 2 of those small round convex mirrors and stick them on the outside of the ORVMs (as indicated in pic below) and use them while keeping the ORVMs folded in heavy traffic situations. Gave the same advice to F-in-law when I heard him crib about the cost of his OHCRV's ORVMs.
Attached Thumbnails
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-dualtoneorvm.jpg  

Last edited by MudMover : 22nd October 2009 at 19:14.
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:00   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
I feel that ORVM accidents in case of SUVs are a rarity compared to cars. So, your's was plain bad luck. Anyways, just a suggestion... Buy 2 of those small round convex mirrors and stick them on the outside of the ORVMs (as indicated in pic below) and use them while keeping the ORVMs folded in heavy traffic situations. Gave the same advice to F-in-law when I heard him crib about the cost of his OHCRV's ORVMs.
Keep ORVMs folded? No way... And those little convex mirrors only work for a short distance. They're good if stuck to the main mirror, but I don't think they'll work the way you've suggested.

I wonder what the OHCRV's ORVMs cost...
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Oh Doc, thats painful when you get that with none of your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Buy 2 of those small round convex mirrors and stick them on the outside of the ORVMs (as indicated in pic below) and use them while keeping the ORVMs folded in heavy traffic situations. Gave the same advice to F-in-law when I heard him crib about the cost of his OHCRV's ORVMs.
It sounds interesting, except two problem, 1, there should have good base space to stick the mirror and 2, when ORVM folded does it remains in the view range of driver.

If above 2 problems are not in ways, it should work well in bumper to bumper traffic, except that it might look pretty odd

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks