Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 19:13   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lives4ever View Post
@SS.. sorry for hijacking your ownership review thread. Maybe we can pull these seat config posts to a separete thread.
No issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lives4ever View Post
Today morning I saw a missed call...
...it was the direct number to a person from M&M's Delhi office. He confirmed the following to me:

a. There are 3 colour options available with the 4WD Scorpio - White, Black & Brown (I do not remember the exact shade of brown)

b. Middle row captains seat is an option that is still available with 4WD Scorpios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
good. atleast they are bothered to sell a 4WD scorpio.
Huh... what happened? you also know Anand Mahindra or what?

Jokes apart, that's great news.
Old 27th May 2010, 08:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Huh... what happened? you also know Anand Mahindra or what?

Jokes apart, that's great news.
wish i knew him... a lot of questions to ask!
Old 27th May 2010, 22:28   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Third free service

Third free service completed today a little earlier than the usual 15k km. Odo read 13718 km. I wanted an early engine oil change before the upcoming trip, and tyre rotation. Also, the car has been pulling to the left a bit (partially resolved after the wheel alignment at 2nd free service, but still an irritant) - I wanted this sorted out. The MicroHybrid system has also developed a mind of its own, and refuses to switch off the engine at times.

Service station: Koncept Automobiles Okhla.

Work done:
Alignment check: Did not resolve the left pulling when road-tested. Engineer suggested an increase in caster angle with shims inserted on the left side. He also felt the turning radius was more, and auto-return of wheel was less (I was living with these under the impression that a 4WD has a greater turning radius anyway).
Shims inserted - 3. Alignment re-checked. Pulling problem disappeared. The steering feels better too - auto-return from full lock is faster, and turning radius has decreased a bit perhaps.

Oil change: Mahindra Maximile & oil filter. Brake fluid, clutch fluid and gear oil checked and topped up.

All suspension and chassis nuts and bolts checked and tightened. AC particle filter cleaned. Air filter checked, replacement not required.

5-wheel rotation done and TPMS reset.

MicroHybrid sensor on clutch pedal re-adjusted. The thing worked for a few times, and stopped working the once I tried it out after getting home. Will see what happens again tomorrow.

Another was the discovery of the ECM unit to the left and behind the glove-box missing its retaining nuts. Quality control issue at the factory. Nuts replaced.

Total cost: Rs.1515 (cost of oil, filter and shims).

Time taken: 7.5 hrs. (8:30 am to 4 pm). Would have taken another hour to wash, so I skipped and postponed the wash for another day. The next service (20k km) would be a paid service, where the promise is that the bill for washing will be waived off. Fair enough.

There was a huge rush at the service station today. Seems half the cars are in for AC-related complaints. No wonder, since Delhi recorded 46.2*C yesterday.
Old 14th June 2010, 23:57   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

One small damage during the pan-India trip. Trying to park in a tight spot, the plastic ALH cover (the extended hub cap covering the front ALH) touched a high kerb and broke, fortunately without any apparent damage to the hub itself.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-hub1.jpg

This was at Manipal, and M&M dealer Karnataka Agencies at Udupi were kind enough to supply a new one for 287 INR, as well as fit it for free.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-hub2.jpg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 14th June 2010 at 23:58.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:59   #215
Senior - BHPian

Good that you got the hub cap easily buddy. in mumbai, you dont get these even a the A.S.S.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:18   #216
Senior - BHPian

DocSS, welcome back!
I am surprised to see the price for the cap! Nearly half of what Sri Durga has been charging!
Old 15th June 2010, 10:30   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
DocSS, welcome back!
I am surprised to see the price for the cap! Nearly half of what Sri Durga has been charging!
Mathur saab, time to wasulo the excess amount. If you need Recovery Agents, please let me know

Last edited by MileCruncher : 15th June 2010 at 10:33. Reason: Typo
Old 26th August 2010, 21:02   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Worried & angry: The mystery of the disappearing engine oil

Happened this afternoon. The red oil indicator light blinked on for a few milliseconds. Once again after a few minutes. Now what's wrong? Nothing alarming, I hope, but I've got to check. Only problem is, there's no place to stop. India Gate. Shah Jahan Road. Aurangzeb Road. Race Course Road. Can't stop anywhere without someone shooing you away. This is the VIP zone, strictly "No Parking". Thankfully, the light is only blinking only once in a while.

Pulled over at Born 2 Be Wild's fuel pump and switched off. (Thank you, B2BW for all the help!) Let's take a look at the dipstick. NO OIL . There was sufficient oil just the last weekend! Where did that disappear? Looked under the car. Lots of water from the AC drainage. Maybe, just maybe, a small spot of oil. That's all. What the heck? A sumpful of oil doesn't disappear into thin air!

Time to get under the car. The chassis, gearbox, suspension, everything is coated in a film of oil. Fresh oil. Not caked over with mud from the last few days of rain. So where's the leak?

I looked under the car. Checked for oil leakage from the drain plug. From the engine block. Nothing. The trace of oil seemed to go upwards. Looked under the bonnet. Everything seemed dry there. Filled up with 4 litres of oil until the dipstick showed oil between the MAX & MIN mark. Started the engine and let it idle. Staring at the ground, I find a drop of oil plopping down every 10 seconds or so. Rev the engine, the drops come faster. Now I know approximately where the leak is. But what is it leaking from?

Switch off engine. One more time, I get under the car. Way up there, the oil filter seems dented. And I start seeing red.
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-dsc01141k150.jpg

What happened, you ask? Utter callousness, a serious lapse in service & quality control at Koncept Automobiles Okhla. At the last service, I had an oil and oil filter change done. Someone tried removing the filter with a filter wrench, but failed. The dents are a result of the effort. The technician quietly left the filter in place, filled up oil, and sent out the car. Since dent was on the underside of the filter, no one noticed. And the oil pressure made a small tear in the filter skin become bigger over time.

I'm worried. There might be engine damage. Will check on cold start tomorrow morning. Matter being escalated.

I'm glad. This didn't happen in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. Like on the way from Delhi to Mumbai for example. Small solace.

The overriding sentiment right now is one of cold fury.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 26th August 2010 at 21:05.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:13   #219
BHPian

Quote:

What happened, you ask? Utter callousness, a serious lapse in service & quality control at Koncept Automobiles Okhla. At the last service, I had an oil and oil filter change done. Someone tried removing the filter with a filter wrench, but failed. The dents are a result of the effort. The technician quietly left the filter in place, filled up oil, and sent out the car. Since dent was on the underside of the filter, no one noticed.

The overriding sentiment right now is one of cold fury.
I am so Sure that Fury will be unleashed at Koncept Tommorow and Very Rightly so!! There has to be some accountability and Work ethics that the A*S*s has to adhere to. This incident in a Year old car is to say the least and frankly they Deserve what is coming to them .

What that technician let pass could have resulted In Major Engine damage, such callous attitude must be set right. Dont spare them on this one sir.
Old 27th August 2010, 02:22   #220
BHPian

Doc, you need to take them to task, you will also have to use your "you know Anand Mahindra" tag and let them do a through check of engine!!! I hope nothing serious to engine, they should be able to tolerate this as the indicators were just on.

Please do update so other can take a note to check filter after the service to make sure everything is in order.

-Pramod
Old 27th August 2010, 07:57   #221
Senior - BHPian

Doc, I hope you bring the A.S.S guys to task. All the best !

On the engine front, it is not easy to check engine damage without opening it up. I would suggest driving it a few days and see if there is oil consumption. That can be the first signs. The other check can be compression check.

P.S: With the imbecile and nincompoop technicians in most of the A.S.S, I never leave the car alone when it goes for servicing. I know its not possible always but may be going forward you should try that.
Old 27th August 2010, 08:44   #222
Senior - BHPian

Now this is Bad,you should escalate this.
Just,hope that no Internals have suffered the brunt.
the VAS is supposed to give warning regarding Low oil Pressure.

Now I have to get first service of the Scorpio done,i will make sure,that i get everything done,infront of my eyes.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:07   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the last service, I had an oil and oil filter change done. Someone tried removing the filter with a filter wrench, but failed. The dents are a result of the effort. The technician quietly left the filter in place, filled up oil, and sent out the car. Since dent was on the underside of the filter, no one noticed. And the oil pressure made a small tear in the filter skin become bigger over time.
I am surprised how someone can goof up in a service procedure as simple as this. I am attaching a pic of the service tool used for oil filter removal. The tool has a profile which matches the profile on the filter, tightening torque is also less, a straight forward job. Also, please ensure that after removal of the air filter the central stud of the oil cooler is fully tight, this can become loose while removing oil filter. BTW, how many kms did you drive since the first warning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
This incident in a Year old car is to say the least and frankly they Deserve what is coming to them .

What that technician let pass could have resulted In Major Engine damage, such callous attitude must be set right. Dont spare them on this one sir.
Yes, I agree

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-1.jpg  

Old 27th August 2010, 09:54   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I am surprised how someone can goof up in a service procedure as simple as this. I am attaching a pic of the service tool used for oil filter removal. The tool has a profile which matches the profile on the filter, tightening torque is also less, a straight forward job. Also, please ensure that after removal of the air filter the central stud of the oil cooler is fully tight, this can become loose while removing oil filter. BTW, how many kms did you drive since the first warning?
Funnily enough, the service centre uses a strap type oil filter tool - something like this:
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-oil_filter_wrench.jpg

Yes, the central stud coming loose is a usual issue that I've faced with other cars also.

After the first time I noticed the blink of the light, till the time I topped up, maybe for 2-3 km. I stopped immediately, but a cop with a big gun shooed me away! However, the light was blinking only intermittently, esp. when idling or braking, and the VAS did not kick in (I understand from the owner's manual that it does so if the pressure is lower than 0.5 kg/cm2).

Topping up with 4 litres resulted in the oil evel coming up to about 5mm short of the MAXIMUM mark, which would mean @ 2 litres of oil was there already. Is that enough to prevent the engine running dry? How do we check for engine damage? A compression test?
Old 27th August 2010, 10:31   #225
Senior - BHPian

I think the tool shown above is of a newer type, however I am guessing how this will seat properly on the oil filter, the mating profiles must be similar, anyways.

IIRC, oil specified for m-Hawk engine is 5.5 L, as mentioned by you there was approximately 2 Litres of oil and you drove with this for 2-3 kms, this would not have any detrimental effect. Please keep an eye on the smoke and oil consumption and you would be fine.

Spike

EDIT- forgot to mention, the above tool will work well if the seating has rubber and not nylon,plastic coating.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 27th August 2010 at 10:49. Reason: see edit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks