Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2017, 12:23   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
But the newest problem on the block has arrived in form of a malfunctioning clock spring (diagnosed by the HASC - parts ordered) which sometimes completely cuts out the horn, sometimes flashes the 'check airbag' light (which appears and disappears on it's own), and almost always on lock-to-lock turns makes a 'kit-kit-kit' noise from the steering!

What exactly is this clock spring and where is it located.

I asked this because i get a air bag light and the ASC says to change the module for the airbag which is a 50,000 rupee job on an 8 year old car.

Now that you mention horn, issues, i also had the horn fuse blow out twice without any reason. Wondering if it could be related.
Old 16th October 2017, 14:43   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What exactly is this clock spring and where is it located.

I asked this because i get a air bag light and the ASC says to change the module for the airbag which is a 50,000 rupee job on an 8 year old car.

Now that you mention horn, issues, i also had the horn fuse blow out twice without any reason. Wondering if it could be related.
Inside the steering wheel, below the horn pad / airbag module.

Blowup diagram here (clock spring) - http://oriparts.com/8/59/136/450779#item_9610829

and

(horn pad) here http://oriparts.com/8/59/136/450696#item_9608678
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 18:59   #213
Senior - BHPian

90k Kms up, and I am living with the clock spring issue. The airbag light does not glow, but the horn periodically gives up, especially in slow traffic.

Installed new LED headlamps - details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-2009-i10.html
Old 5th July 2018, 17:59   #214
Senior - BHPian

A few weeks back, a lorry scraped + dented the driver side rear quarter panel of the car in a ultra slow speed collision.

Took the car to my regular HASC to get the denting + painting done. Denting was done in a day, while painting is still pending as I wanted the car fast as I had work pressure in office (had to work for a few back to back weekends).

A few days after the denting work was done, I passed over a small black n yellow plastic roadbump, and all hell suddenly broke loose.
Multiple error lights came on, the car lost momentum, and seemed stuck in a gear. Luckily this happened during daytime barely a km from office so was able to limp to office and parked in the basement.

Once parked, further strange problems were unearthed wherein the car refused to move when put in D mode, only revved as if in N. The backup lights blinked when indicators were tapped, and indicators stayed on all time.

I suspected that some electrical issue happened during the body work, and tried to reset the electricals by removing & re attaching the negative wire of the battery (to no avail), removed the driver side taillamp assembly and tugging onto the wires, only to be disappointed when the problems remained unresolved.

Discussed the problem with the Kolkata TBHP community, and after a short chat, it seemed like a punched wire or a loose grounding.

Initially planned to remove the trims under TBHP expert guidance by myself to look for the issue, but then realized a professional would do this much faster and easily.

Called up my dad, and the HASC where the body work was done. Dad picked up the mechanic who normally works on my car (not the person who worked on the body), and came to my office. Described the problem to the mechanic, and in no time he removed the entire rear seat, rear trims and all cladding.

Then we saw that the body denting was resolved from inside by cutting through the sheet metal, and the place where the cut was done had a grounding point which was to be bolted back once the welding work was done, but the bolt was missing and the grounding was merely slipped onto the metal sleeve. After one too many number of shakes and jerks, the wire fell out of the sleeve and chaos ensued.

The mechanic simply bolted back the grounding, and normalcy returned. He then put the trims and seat back on.

So a careless mistake during body denting made the car immobile. Funny thing is this happened 3-4 days after the denting work was done. Imagine what may have happened if this happened during nighttime or midway during commute !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
the horn periodically gives up, especially in slow traffic.
The horn issue resolved on it's own don't ask me how !
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:57   #215
Senior - BHPian

9 years & 95K+ kms up, and it's about time to bid farewell to my BLACK Hyundai i10 ASTA.

Check that once the car crosses 9 year / 100k kms, I would have to invest quite some money into the car to keep it running as is, and considering all situations & possibilities, it seemed prudent to move on.

Booked the new Jazz (details here (The "I Booked my Car" Thread)), and on the date the Jazz gets delivered, the i10 gets traded in.

Final week driving the black beauty !
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 23:45   #216
Senior - BHPian

Drove in to the Honda dealership today to trade in the i10 and drove out in the new Jazz.
Sure gonna miss that chuckable little car.

Photos taken last Saturday after the cleaning session (final ones):

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S EDIT: Sold!-img_20180908_124839.jpg

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S EDIT: Sold!-img_20180908_124852.jpg

Last edited by blackasta : 12th September 2018 at 23:55.
blackasta is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks