Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 15:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the beast Rahul. I assume the small niggles which a few earlier owners faced have been worked on and improvements done? Things like rattling etc.
Wish you a fantastic ownership experience. I love this vehicle
Old 2nd July 2009, 23:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have driven close to 800kms till now and in a day or so I would be going in for the first service with oil changes and few checks

First the good points

1. Better drivability than "my" previous 3.0 ltr safari in pune city and on highway nagar road/dehu road.
2. Frugal than 3.0 ltr dicor and the handling is tad better.
3. I am not sure but the fuel gauge gulped 53 ltrs of diesel after 760kms. I am very sure something very wrong with the fuel gauge or the odometer.. Its faulty aint it !
4. better quality of plastics than my prev 3.0ltr
5. Better ergonomics in the seats than before.

Bad Points

1. I am not sure but jerks and hiccups are there as mentioned in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1161065
2. I dont know but this beast loves to locks its front left wheel and veer towards left when braking..
3. Gear lever design is horrible. One day while shifting from 2nd to third i accidently picked up the smalll water bottle kept in the left bottle/cup holder in the central console.. TATA come-on bottle is kept there to drink water and not interfere while shifting gears
4. Smallish squeaks and creeps here and there but not a show stopper.

Overall I am happy so far..

Next stop mumbai.. where do I park safely this vehicle to visit famous temples/dargah like haji ali, mumba devi and siddhivinayak ? Any form of help will do

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 2nd July 2009 at 23:03.
Old 2nd July 2009, 23:16   #33
BANNED

Congratulations buddy,

Though i need to get to the background of your previous Safari experience, Wishing you a trouble free ownership this time around

Now some pics on the Safari Thread would do justice and we would like to read one travelogue from you soon.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
3. I am not sure but the fuel gauge gulped 53 ltrs of diesel after 760kms. I am very sure something very wrong with the fuel gauge or the odometer.. Its faulty aint it !

1. I am not sure but jerks and hiccups are there as mentioned in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1161065
I don't think its faulty. My Safari does return figures like these in between. Fuel efficiency is one of the good points of the 2.2 dicor

Can you elaborate more about the jerks and hiccups, as in when do you experience them? Do you experience this while changing gears? or even while the rpm is steady?
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:37   #35
Team-BHP Support

Rahul, I couldnt help but wonder how you fell in love again. If it isnt too diverting from this ownership experience, i would appreciate of you could point out as to what went foul the last time round, and what drew you back to the Safari. Would love to hear the experience.

Between, congrats on your new vehicle, and wishing you miles and miles of touring.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:56   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rahulk76 : 2. Frugal than 3.0 ltr dicor and the handling is tad better.
1. How did you measure 53 liters ? top-up ?
2. 53 liters for 760 km = 14.3 kmpl.
3. If the 2.2 is more frugal than the 3.0, then is above figure good or bad ?
Old 5th July 2009, 20:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Trip to Mumbai 4/7/09 and Ist service done 5/7/09

Yesterday we went on a first trip outstation to guess where.. Mumbai for some sight seeing, few place of interest for offering puja like Siddhivinayak Temple, Mahalaxmi, Haji Ali & Mumba Devi. While returning also had a joyride on the famous Worli Bandra Sealink.

Now I donot really know the roads of Mumbai, but soon got lucky to have a driver to ferry us to all the above mentioned places as I neared Bandra Kurla complex. By this time the drizzle had become rain and my heart sank at the thought of getting stranded on the streets of a big unknown city along with a family.

Kudos to the lane discipline and respect of road rules, the journey into the inner most lanes/roads of Mumbai (around Mumba Devi temple) was a breeze. The sheer magnitude of various things we saw only in TV and films was witnessed live while passing through the streets and puts more faith in whatever small life we have. Anyways, we had onyl two umbrellas just as a caution, but then decided to enjoy it mumbai ishtyle while walking to Haji Ali dargah.

Atlast we decided to give a shot at Bandra Worli Sealink on which the ride was really awesome. good work MSDRC!

By the time we started back, it was really raining hard and my heart was sinking , but soon we crossed, Bandra Kurla complex..then to SION and finally McDonald to have refreshments and then finally head back to Pune.

Touched approx 120-140 for a few seconds and then trailed off to crusing speed of 90-100kmph on expressway. The experience was pleasant and the beast behaved as expected.. The road handling and the way turbo boosts in 5th gear are really things to be appreciated. They are pretty much better than that of my older 3.0ltr. The beast holds its lanes much better on the expressway curves and turns.

A few stunts happened which are as follows.
  1. Speedo has lots of error.. at one time the safari speedo was showing 90 and the GPS was showing 81kmph (nokia e71)
  2. While slowing down at toll booth it was raining and i had to brake hard which resulted in front left wheel getting locked and the beast doing a neat 40 degree left turn (owing to wet road)
  3. The engine hunted in 1500-2000rpm.
Since it was already 1290kms, I decided to spend sunday on servicing
the beat at Avanthi motors Wagholi.
Went on a test drive and showed the Wrk. Mgr the symptoms vehicle moving towards left whilst braking and hunting in the range of 1500-2000rpm.

Now since the servicing schedule has changed, TML recomends oil change at every service which resulted in a oil and oil filter only final bill of 2k. Yes.. The engine oil was Castrol GTX Diesel. The note of the engine has definetly changed after the same and is little subdued than before, guess it may become more quieter after 5k service.

The following ECM codes were present.. TASC didnt have a clue about it so they escalated to TML.

1. P0245 - VGT DRIVE SHOT TO GROUND.
2. PO489 - EGR SOLENOID CONTROL
3. Brake pulling towards left.

All in all, pretty satisfied with the beast..oops ill call it Safari doing its job
Old 11th July 2009, 16:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The following ECM codes were present.. TASC didnt have a clue about it so they escalated to TML.

1. P0245 - VGT DRIVE SHOT TO GROUND.
2. PO489 - EGR SOLENOID CONTROL
3. Brake pulling towards left.

CS Tml had called in the vehicle for checking today w.r.t to the issues not resolved in the first service.
All the problems were simulated as is to him and duly acknowledged.

Braking issue. i.e. vehcile pulls towards left while braking couldnot be rectified, however if it does get worse it will be duly attended to
Even adjusting the left idler arm setting didnt help, nor did changing brake pads and bleeding the system help. any clues guys ?

Point 2 and 1 were not present in the system after it being cleared from the system, so that was a good encouraging news but was replaced by some speed sensor to cluster error . That too was cleared from the system and went on a speed test with the diag laptop hooked, which didnt further report the issue.

However, as for the Vehicle Jerk and Hesistate issue, there was a crack in the black pipe connecting to the EGR valve(the location where pipe is bending like U). It has as of now solved mysterious gasps and jerks between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

In addition to this the proactive checking by TML CS also resulted in adjusting the LSPV setting to standard 1mm (as overheard) which has resulted in better braking and halting of the beast except pulling to left.

Thanks TML

Next pit stop hopefully at 5500kms..

Cya
Old 11th July 2009, 17:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

i really admire your patience and attitude. had it been my brand new safari with those error codes and braking issues and the service centre people not knowing anything about this issue i would have gone ransack.
Old 11th July 2009, 18:38   #40
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Congrats 4 the black beauty. Mine too a blacky feb 2009. clocked 9k. Having a trouble free running till now. Happy and safe driving
Old 11th July 2009, 23:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i really admire your patience and attitude. had it been my brand new safari with those error codes and braking issues and the service centre people not knowing anything about this issue i would have gone ransack.
I dont have much of a choice do I ?
All i'd say here is that I was prepared for nigles this time. Plus they are doing their bit of reactive resolutions anyways but that speaks a lot bad about TML QC for 2.2, their bread and butter engine.

Hope by next pit stop they better have a resolution to brake issue.
Old 12th July 2009, 12:00   #42
BANNED

Check Disc assy

Quote:
Braking issue. i.e. vehcile pulls towards left while braking couldnot be rectified, however if it does get worse it will be duly attended to
Even adjusting the left idler arm setting didnt help, nor did changing brake pads and bleeding the system help. any clues guys ?

Cya
Hi Rahul,
If changing the brake pads and changing the idler arm setting didnt help, the brake caliper or the entire disc assembly for that wheel could be at fault.
As you probably know, the pads are just pushed forward by means of oil pressure to hold the rotating disc and they need to get back to position after the pedal is released or loosened. Did you get the functioning checked as well?
It can be done by yourself in case you have a jack. Jack up that wheel with the engine running as it needs engine power being a hydraulic brake system and rotate the wheel with your hands. It should be free. Ask a friend to apply the brake and leave it. Then check the wheel if it is rotating freely or if it has jammed. You could also touch the wheel rim after a drive and check if it is abnormally hot compared to the corresponding rim on the other side. This may indicate a malfuntioning Disc assembly or plumbing.
Hope it helps....

Any yes some more pictures please...Can never have enough of this truck...
Old 12th July 2009, 20:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi Rahul,
If changing the brake pads and changing the idler arm setting didnt help, the brake caliper or the entire disc assembly for that wheel could be at fault.

Any yes some more pictures please...Can never have enough of this truck...
Dev, you are correct here is what I was told the further course of action by TML
a. A standing wheel alignment results were taken and further passed on to TML who would assess it and then suggest the corrective action. For sure I remember that the toe was -ve a lil more than the limits but lets see what the experts back have to tell.
b. Disc assembly is the last and foremost culprit. Something tells me that these issues will be sorted/ironed out soon.

Pictures yes.. Ill post them, Let it get a little more muddier than its now. Then it will look like what its meant to look like (thanks to water scarcity in pune and lack of rains)

Cya.

~~~~~~~
Re...&*^#.....claim...^^^.............in.......... ..................................g
Old 16th July 2009, 21:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

New Toll Free Number of TATA MOTORS

As is recieved via SMS today from TATA

Quote:
Please note new Toll Free No. 18002097979 for TATA Cars & Service / Breakdown assistance for TATA & Fiat Cars - TATA MOTORS
Hope this is worth for what they say

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 16th July 2009 at 21:05. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 17th July 2009, 09:48   #45
BANNED

Try that number...

Quote:
As is recieved via SMS today from TATA
Did you try calling that number check out the levels of support? I will do it today and update you on the same....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks