Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 18:24   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hey Rahul,
Sorry to hear, thank god you are not hurt..... where have you given your vehicle for this job.Is it Pandit or B U Bhandari? Let me know.
Pune Traffic is getting bad day by day. just because of these reasons, i have started commuting in my Bull, rather using my safari for daily use.
But you can't change, what is going to happen.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Well Pandit is where the veh is.. Going there tommorow. Insurance survey done today and they have started to strip the vehicle damage parts.

Well the lesser said for Pune traffic, the better. But this accident wont deter me from driving in the city as usual. Its better to be inside a safe vehicle rather than on a bike (my own opinion here) on Pune roads.

Accidents do happen, but mainly due to others fault sometimes like in my case. Poor PMPL driver was apologetic enough by folding his hands and requesting it..so..that matter RIP.

PS: On the hindsight, the vehicle lived to its expectation i had to protect me as much as possible in any case. The sole reason I bought it almost 2 years back.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 4th March 2011 at 18:25.
Old 4th March 2011, 19:03   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Poor PMPL driver was apologetic enough by folding his hands and requesting it..so..that matter RIP.

Wow, that's a first, can't imagine a BMTC driver(Bangalore's equivalent of PMPL) doing the same, more likely he would have support from some other drivers along with a few auto drivers thrown in for good measure.

Hope you get your insurance approved quickly and get your vehicle back in ship shape condition soon.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 4th March 2011 at 19:09.
Old 5th March 2011, 14:33   #363
BANNED

That was a bad shunt Rahul. Nevertheless, the damage is not serious and your truck should be on the road in less than a week.

Get Well Soon.
Old 5th March 2011, 15:50   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
PMPL would have had payed third party claim. For that, the law of the land aka.. panchnama, rto inspection, police inspection, PMPL veh accident claims, then my insurance guys claim etc would peep in with rounds and rounds of routine runs.. I dont have that much time to run around alone. See the system aint that efficient.
The guys advised to claim insurance as the safest bet.. Period.
It is such a sorry state in our country that claiming third party insurance involves so much of headache. I wish it was a much simpler process.
Old 5th March 2011, 17:26   #365
Senior - BHPian

Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That was a bad shunt Rahul. Nevertheless, the damage is not serious and your truck should be on the road in less than a week.

Get Well Soon.
Yes it was a bad shunt,, thanks to the instinct of releasing the brakes in time for the expected shunt, otherwise it would have inflicted a major damage.

Latest update:

Survey Done.. Insurance guys have given a green signal to proceed with repairs.
Parts have been ordered.. Will take approx 2-3 weeks... Endless pain :S

Latest pics taken today, suggest that there was NO damage to the body shell, the tailgate inner beading is also fine. Phew !!

Shunt well spread and i guess TML designed it that way.. Very Good

On the downside, will get new set of locks and keys.
Might go in for rear bumper and the beam renewal
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-march-618.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-march-624.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-march-625.jpg  

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 5th March 2011 at 17:48.
Old 14th March 2011, 21:46   #366
Senior - BHPian

New Door

Ok, after waiting for a week or so the brand new tailgate has arrived and currently undergoing painting.

It was sure a pain to get the tail gate aligned coz the hinges had taken a beating and depresses a little bit. So the masters at workshop denters etc, got it back into correct shape and the alignment was perfect.

All angles etc were checked before releasing the door to the painters.. (works when you are physically present when they are on the job..atleast for me)

Bonus: is that i get then to do the tailored sound damping (damping pads) as per my liking on all five doors

Here is the picture of the door being assembled.

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-safari.jpg

Now the door latch and locks are awaited.. may be a week or so
Old 14th March 2011, 22:01   #367
BHPian

Rahul, I too can vouch for the build quality of the Safari's shell. Recently, I had an accident where a Santro hit my Safari while I was waiting at a red right at high speed (the cops estimated that the vehicle hit me at a minimum speed of 60-70kmph). The Santro was a total loss but the damage the Safari sustained was minimal. Only one fog light, rear bumper, camera and a few scratches to the spare tyre cover at the rear and due to the impact, I the Safari was pushed forward and hit another vehicle. Suffered some damage to the front bumper and grill. Nothing else was damaged. Amazing beast. Built like a rhino.
Old 15th March 2011, 00:06   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Rahul,

That was a bad one. But good to see the Safari is getting back on road.
Yes, being there personally makes a big difference.

And it's really nice that you are looking at the brighter side. I really liked it.

So what special damping material are you using? Any pics?

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 15th March 2011, 07:59   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hey Rahul,
So what special damping material are you using? Any pics?
Nothing special. The regular sound deadening pads used by TML. Albeit more in quantity like we on TBHP do on all five doors.

Will post pics when its getting done.

Rahul
Old 15th March 2011, 11:32   #370
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Rahul, looks like your safari will soon be back in full action.

Some further perspectives of Safari Accidents and claims for readers of your thread.

In my safari, once a truck guy hit the rear mounted tyre from the back at a signal. the door panel went inwards and the tyre mount was skewed, got the work done outside for just about 3K, with a road side type of guy.

Once a rick banged on the panel below the third row side glass area, Authorized guys quoted almost 10K, again got it done outside for about 3.5K with a huyndai authorized guy.

In both cases the fault was of the other guy, the truck guy acknowleded it but his bumper was ofcourse not too damaged in the impact and I bore the impact, in case of the rick it was damaged a lot more than the safari was, but his repairs may have costed lesser.

In 2005 it was completely submerged (all but the roof) under water at Kalina Mumbai (the epicentre of the mithi river flooding) and this time too got the work done outside it cost me about 50K, (changing most of the electrical stuff) but the car was in action in a weeks time, vs the 2-3 months lead time at the authorized centre.

On a couple of other occations truck guys took my mirrors on each side one a time and they had to be replaced again got that done out of warranty. So paid in excess of 2 L for comprehensive insurance for the safari but never used it in the first 6 years (NCB loss was always too high) and and then later went for third party as the value of the safari drops very significantly in the first 5 years.
Old 18th March 2011, 23:22   #371
Senior - BHPian

Ready to roll

Its repair are 99% complete pending Insurance Guys survey final report etc and polish of the painted area.

Final estimation price will be known tommorow and will share the major details here.

Oh btw, those Wuerth sound deadening pads cost 100 a piece 8x8 inches.

Contd.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:23   #372
Senior - BHPian

Thats great news rahul. Look forward to some pics of your beast once she is on the road. Also looking forward to meeting up soon.
Old 19th March 2011, 12:47   #373
Senior - BHPian

hey Rahul glad to see you are fine and so is your beast. sorry man i missed the updates from you. nowdays am very busy in office and tbhp is banned in office "subject vehicle is filtered" thats the most stupid filter i have ever seen.

so how much did you pay from your pocket?

i was wondering how painful it must be if a govt vehicle or a police vehicle bangs you.
Old 19th March 2011, 20:00   #374
Senior - BHPian

Good to be back

Good to be back driving the beast
After more than 2 weeks of isolation, the clutch suddenly felt lighter and soft.

Total 50k approx.

Will now followup with insurance guys to payup the same. Shouldnt take much of time now.

Breakup: Parts approx 36k & Labour 13-14k approx. Will post up details later.

The rear feels like brand new, and the paint shop has done a good job as the color is gelling well with other areas.

New Major Parts:
1. Tailgate + Paint
2. Rear Glass
3. New rear Bumper (i insisted)
4. Inner Trims
5. New Stepny Cover
6. New wheel rim ( i insisted)
Old Parts:
1. Old Locks
2. Old Wiper blade and motor
3. Trims whereever reusable

Feels like 50% rejuvenated

Contd...
Old 19th March 2011, 21:56   #375
Senior - BHPian

Pictures

Some Pics

Scrap: Almost good rear safari bumper. If someone is interested in Pune.. IM me asap in case he wants it. Mangled door, usable by experienced denters

Insurance guys will deduct the std 10% of the cost anyways, so i decided to carry it and sell it to someone rather than leave it. At least will cover up the 10% in someway.
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-p1020270.jpg
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-p1020279.jpg

Some random angles shots. Feel free to comment

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-p1020271.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-p1020272.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-p1020273.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-p1020274.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-p1020275.jpg

Regarding payment from my pocket, i have to claim.. so unless the disbursement amount comes my way (via telecall or otherwise I wont know)

Scrap value is 10% deduction on the actual cost of item.

100% labour charges recievable

100% Glass cost recievable

90% recievable & 10% deduction on the metal parts

100% or 90% on the paint cost, i dont remember now :(

50% on plastic parts

I best guess is that i would have to pay approx 10k from my pocket.

The list of items is 2 pages long, which I rather dont want to type nor do i have a quick scanner to post it, so feel free to ask me the costs, ill gladly tell you the nitty gritty's

Overall New India Assurance was a pleasant experience.

cya,
Rahul
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks