Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 23:23   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Rahul; all the best with the journey.

Do carry a pair of spare wiper if the area you would be visiting would be rainy.
JK
Thanks for the wishes. I have purchased the front 2 wipers and kept them as spares. It may snow while driving by the time i reach the final destinations and keeping up with the traditions TML supplied wipers, right now on the veh. maynot be able to survive it.
Old 17th December 2009, 08:44   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Tommorow is T-1
Wishing you a safe and enjoyable journey.

Yes, I too am very curious of your dog / snow chain thingy. Do post a photo at the very earliest.

We await your travellogue / naration of your experiences.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:26   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Wishing you a safe and enjoyable journey.

Yes, I too am very curious of your dog / snow chain thingy. Do post a photo at the very earliest.

The originals are like this.. awesome eh....
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-snowchain.jpg

My should be like idea
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-capture2.jpg

My may be practical idea
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-capture3.jpg

Talking about snow driving. A few tips i have gathered from various googles and other sites

Winter Driving Tips
  • Driving in snow and ice can be scary and dangerous, especially for inexperienced drivers. Here are some tips for keeping safe:
  • Keep the defroster running with plenty of hot air - this keeps ice and snow from building up any more than necessary. Also, use the rear defroster if you have one to keep your back window as clear as possible.
  • When driving in snow and ice, do EVERYTHING a little more slowly than under normal conditions -- make gentle turns, accelerate slowly, brake gently. Sudden moves make the car skid and lose control.
  • Make sure you have chains that fit your vehicle, and know how to use them -- always practice putting them on once or twice under dry conditions -- learning to put chains on in the middle of a snow storm is no fun!
  • Chains go on the drive axle of your car, where the power is - know if you have a front or rear wheel drive system (most small cars and sedans are front wheel drive, most trucks are rear wheel).
  • Always carry an ice scraper and flashlight in your winter car. A bag of sand in the trunk doesn't hurt either, adding extra weight to the read end and providing traction if you need it.
  • Wear good gloves when putting chains on - ice cold metal and moving parts are a recipe for disaster with bare, cold hands.
  • Practice your snow driving. Head for a big parking lot or field after a fresh snow and get a feel for what happens when you accelerate too fast, hit your brakes too hard, or turn to sharply. It's easy to get your car into small, controlled skids, even at 20-30 KMPH. Learning how to steer out of a skid while keeping your car under control could save your life one day.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 17th December 2009 at 14:37. Reason: Image placements and text additions
Old 17th December 2009, 14:29   #244
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, Good luck & safe travels! What does the final itinerary look like, any changes?

(In case you've posted already, just point me in the right direction)
Old 17th December 2009, 14:38   #245
BHPian

Wish you a safe and happy journey.

The dog/snow chain looks good.

Snow is not bad, ice is. The most common mistake I used to do initially while skidding on ice was to slam the brakes instead of taking foot off the accelerator and steering into the skid. If the roads are cleaned regularly, it should not be a problem at all.

Last edited by sumannandy : 17th December 2009 at 14:57.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:45   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Rahul, Good luck & safe travels! What does the final itinerary look like, any changes?

(In case you've posted already, just point me in the right direction)
Thanks Suman

The final iternary looks like

1. Starting on 19th Dec early morning and doing a night halt at udaipur.. HVK suggested Chittorgarh but let me see the stamina of mine if I can

(Collected hotel details enroute, prolly would be done on the spot)

2. Starting from Udaipur on 20 Dec early morning towards jaipur-delhi-sonepat-panipat and night halt at Karnal/ Ambala

3. Start from Karnal/ Ambala on 21st Dec early morning towards jammu, katra.

4. Night halt at Katra on 21 and 22 Dec (Bookings confirmed at JKTDC)

5. Start for Tangmarg on 23rd Dec (Night stay at tangmarg JKTDC,23,24,25).Roam Gulmarg/Srinagar etc etc etc..

6. Start for Jammu 26th, night halt at Jammu TRC JKTDC..damn expensive :(

7. Start back towards delhi on 27th Dec and do a night halt at Delhi near GT Karnal road at relatives place prolly

8. Aim udaipur for 28th Night and then make a run to pune on 29th Dec.

I will have access to emails all the way, & would be checking em on a regular interval.

Route Travel Enquiry Thread is at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1565458
Old 17th December 2009, 14:56   #247
Senior - BHPian

Rahul All the best for your trip. Hope you see some snow in Gulmarg / Pahalgam. I have heard in winter Dal Lake gets totally frozen, so may be you can try skating over there.

Godspeed and Drive Safe.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:15   #248
BHPian

Good Luck Buddy!

Hey Rahul,

1 Suggestion and actually others can advise on this as well, I think there may be a need for Fog lamps. I faced fog during my recent trip back from GOA at 5am between Mapusa and Sawantwadi. But I dont know how effective these really are as mine focus just 4-5ft from the bumper (Need to get them adjusted) and they were okay as the Volvo guys atleast could notice me.

Good luck on the journey. Enjoy the drive.

Cheers!
Old 17th December 2009, 20:50   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Hey Rahul,

1 Suggestion and actually others can advise on this as well, I think there may be a need for Fog lamps. I faced fog during my recent trip back from GOA at 5am between Mapusa and Sawantwadi. But I dont know how effective these really are as mine focus just 4-5ft from the bumper (Need to get them adjusted) and they were okay as the Volvo guys atleast could notice me.

Good luck on the journey. Enjoy the drive.

Cheers!
Ameet

Thanks for the wishes I need it.. Today only some stupid biker crashed into back side near the exhaust pipe, chipping and cracking the reflector on the bumper :(. I was halted for the signal. Apparently he skidded on thel loose rubble on road and fell down. Thank god nothing happened to him. Seeing his pleading guilty face, I let him go.

Dog err Snow chains cost 10-15 rs a feet and in 1k all four tyres are doable.
Old 17th December 2009, 21:44   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
... mine focus just 4-5ft from the bumper (Need to get them adjusted) ...
Fog lamps are meant to focus low (has short throw on the ground). No need to adjust unless you want to blind the opposite vehicle. Even mine throws low. Inside fog, light will scatter anyways and there will be poor visibility. You are supposed to follow the trail/road/ground at a very slow speed- hence, the fog lights are directed towards ground. Don't adjust them to throw beam upwards- it is not the intended purpose of the fog lamps in the bumper.

@Rahul - all the best and enjoy your drive .

Cheers,
-BJ
Old 17th December 2009, 22:07   #251
Senior - BHPian

all the best for your trip man. drive safe. did you get the towing rope and other gear? do you think your really need those snow chains.
Old 17th December 2009, 22:33   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
...do you think your really need those snow chains.
peace of mind. Forgot what was that ad for Indigo Marina... a couple going out with dining table + chair + barbecue, etc, because we want to take our home with us
Old 17th December 2009, 23:24   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
all the best for your trip man. drive safe. did you get the towing rope and other gear? do you think your really need those snow chains.
Thanks for the wishes Amit

Well no towing rope.. rest other gears are like fuses, relay, wipers, bulbs etc are ready. I couldnt find spare bulb for hella's. I need to get a pair of H3 tommorow along with foot pump & tubeless repair tyre kit.

Snow chains..Awww common man.... any alternatives you have in mind.. Its just incase situation, otherwise ill look for them in Jammu incase required

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 17th December 2009 at 23:31.
Old 18th December 2009, 09:06   #254
BANNED

All right, this I think is the best time to wish you "A Very Happy, Safe and Enjoyable" trip.
Drive safe, have a great time and come back happy.
Old 18th December 2009, 17:10   #255
Senior - BHPian

T-8 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
All right, this I think is the best time to wish you "A Very Happy, Safe and Enjoyable" trip.
Drive safe, have a great time and come back happy.
Thanks for all the wishes.

Just came to know from some friend at Srinagar that snowchains are available on rent at Tangmarg and otherwise per se not required.

My emergency kit

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-18122009.jpg

Rope is 10 meters long

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 18th December 2009 at 17:11.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks