Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 10:38   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Is taking the bumper out a cumbersome process ?

-Not for garage wala, but for me yes

Is it fixed via these 2 nuts / bolts only ?

-These are the major screws, apart from them there are four more size ten screws near the wheel arches which are extremely cumbersome to screw/unscrew, but then for experts its a walk in the park

As AmitK26 said a close-up pic would help us. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Looks good. Did you drill holes in bumper to take out the bracket ?
-No
Could not identify from where the metal bracket is coming out. A close up shot would be appreciated.
-Hellas are screwed onto the bumper by drilling a hole. The metal support is underneath the bumper.

Let me know if these close up pics help

In the first pic a supporting frame under the hellas was added. Now this only wont add to a proper support as the bumper is flexible in nature. So to support the frame, two customized metal links are elec welded to the top frame.

Easier to migrate from one safari bumper to another . When you dont want the hella's unscew them out. When you dont want the frame, unscrew them out as well.. Simple eh
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-capture.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-capture2.jpg  

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 30th November 2009 at 10:42.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:21   #212
Senior - BHPian

As the D-Day to the trip nears, the Wild Cat goes for a comprehensive check next week.
I am sitting on 11.5K mark right now and am pondering whether to go for 15k service now or do it enroute(time is luxury on trip).

Oil was last changed on 5K service (as per booklet and TASS)
As per Long Trip Advisory's on HVK blog and on forum, I do need to carry spare fuses. Now there are lots and lots of fuses and I am really confused. Which are major and which are minors.I also plan to have the major-minor shocks, bushes etc checked just in case.

I would also like to reach out to the BHPIAN's enroute to the destination between Mumbai - Del -Jammu to have their contacts (via PM)

Guys, Any other suggestions

This mother of all trips is giving me goose bumps all over now
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:41   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
As per Long Trip Advisory's on HVK blog and on forum, I do need to carry spare fuses. Now there are lots and lots of fuses and I am really confused. Which are major and which are minors.I also plan to have the major-minor shocks, bushes etc checked just in case.

I would also like to reach out to the BHPIAN's enroute to the destination between Mumbai - Del -Jammu to have their contacts (via PM)

There are 2 kinds of fuse one in fuse box in engine bay and another smaller inside the cabin. in the ratings 2, 5, 10 , 15, 20 , 30 A.

ASK TASS to give you the complete fuse set. It costs around just 280 Rs.
For added safety ask for 2 sets if you like . They will nicely put it in a poly pack and you can keep it in glove box.

You already have spare fuses for each rating in the fuse box but this will be over and above. Even if this falls short in then you can always use a higher rating spare in the lower one till you reach a T.A.S.S

I purchased a spare set but till now never had to use it.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:51   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As the D-Day to the trip nears, the Wild Cat goes for a comprehensive check next week.
I am sitting on 11.5K mark right now and am pondering whether to go for 15k service now or do it enroute(time is luxury on trip).

Since you will be travelling on the main highways and not going off into wilderness, I don't think you need to bother too much. I would suggest check the all fluid level and get the wheel alignment and balancing done before the trip. You do need to your tyres in best condition while doing high speed runs. I would suggest before wheel balancing get the tyres filled with Nitrogen which would avoid vagaries of pressure change.

Also carry a tow-rope if possible.
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:41   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Since you will be travelling on the main highways and not going off into wilderness, I don't think you need to bother too much. I would suggest check the all fluid level and get the wheel alignment and balancing done before the trip. You do need to your tyres in best condition while doing high speed runs. I would suggest before wheel balancing get the tyres filled with Nitrogen which would avoid vagaries of pressure change.

Also carry a tow-rope if possible.
A tow-rope is a good idea.. Perhaps I'll look for something from ebay.

Tyre alignment and balancing is done and thing which is left is the steering wheel alignment. Would get it done as well in due course of time.

Coming back to nitrogen, did you or anyone have had good experience with it. Seems more like a hype to me though ?
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:22   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A tow-rope is a good idea.. Perhaps I'll look for something from ebay.

Tyre alignment and balancing is done and thing which is left is the steering wheel alignment. Would get it done as well in due course of time.

Coming back to nitrogen, did you or anyone have had good experience with it. Seems more like a hype to me though ?
I filled Nitrogen before my trip and they didn't let the tyres heat too much at 140kmph. Not too much useful for city but definitely good for high speed long distance run.
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:24   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I filled Nitrogen before my trip and they didn't let the tyres heat too much at 140kmph. Not too much useful for city but definitely good for high speed long distance run.
Ok I was quoted 200 bucks for 5 tyres nitrogen filling.
140kmph.. wow where did you manage that speed
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:49   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seen this?
Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-garmin_speedo-medium.jpg

Beast would have galloped more had I held the pedal on express way. Normal air, no nitrogen

Other things you may add in your list:

1. A two meter flexible rubber hose (pipe)- can wash the car or help in transferring diesel in case of emergency.
2. WD 40 pocket spray, costs about about 50/- acts like a quick balm on angry doors, and seats.
3. Mseal, black tape (insulation), fevikwik
4. Tubeless repair kit
5. First aid box with ample bandaids + relispray + neosprine + ibubrufen etc

Refer thread long drive preparation guide- it has a good compilation.

Cheers and all the best
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 3rd December 2009 at 22:03. Reason: img placement and tips
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:05   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats the rate. But once you fill nitrogen, get the wheels balanced again. You will get umpteen chances to do 140kmph+ I did 140kmph in Leh also with 4 people and fully loaded car.
Old 3rd December 2009, 23:08   #220
Senior - BHPian

Review of Jopasu Car Duster

After reading rave reviews about Jopasu Car Duster, bought one from Car Cupid at Pashan Sus road. Got it @420 as we collectively bought 4 of these.
Initial usage and results are outstanding and it stands up to its reputation.
Below are a few pics, clicked some 30 mins or so ago.

1. Intial few Wipe of dirty steed

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-jopasu1.jpg

2. Dirty roof.. Before you jump your guns w.r.t to dirt, before Jopasu, I used to wash the vehicle every two to three weeks.

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-jopasu2.jpg

3. Three to Four Swipes with Jopasu

Tata Safari 2.2 - Life beyond 65k kms-jopasu3.jpg

I am a very pleased man. I get to save water and I save some time as well. What say guys ?
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 08:41   #221
BANNED

420 per piece right? Can you send me a pack as well? I am not aware of any outlets at B'lore selling them and I try to avoid online shopping as much as possible.
Old 4th December 2009, 08:58   #222
Team-BHP Support

Nitrogen is a gimmick. Unless you plan to continuously do corners at 200kmph, its just a waste of 200rs. Buy something else for that money
Old 4th December 2009, 12:44   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can push safari to 150 easily if highway is open ,

140 in case you expect some bumps nitrogen does not make a difference here.
I have done 145 on NH7 with pure air perceptible heating of tyres with 34 PSI driven for more then 30 mts at this speed
alloys might have helped a bit.

PS : About neosperine mentioned by BJ86 i think that has Nemsulide and it is banned in many countries due to serious side effects but continuing in India. My mother developed serious skin allergy some 4 years back due to Nemsulide

Last edited by amitk26 : 4th December 2009 at 12:53.
Old 4th December 2009, 20:16   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
PS : About neosperine mentioned by BJ86 i think that has Nemsulide and it is banned in many countries due to serious side effects...
OT: Just wanted to clarify that it is an antibiotic. We have been using it for ages for minor cuts/wounds etc. No issues so far. It is manufactured by GSK a global leader. Google could not find any adverse report for this Rx. Probably you are mistaken?

RxMed: Pharmaceutical Information - NEOSPORIN

Neosporin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just wanted to mention that one should carry an antibiotic ointment of ones choice on a long trip- it helps in case of cuts/bruises etc in a godforsaken place.

Cheers,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 4th December 2009 at 20:23. Reason: typo
Old 5th December 2009, 12:50   #225
Senior - BHPian

OT .. Oops sorry BJ I take back my words on Neosprine,
I was confused about Neosprine as there was a pain reliever with similar sounding name which I do not recollect now and that caused severe reaction to my mom

Nemsulide is a pain reliver and many popular pain reliver spray, gels and tablets contain it but it has serious side effects. So modifying my statement do not take any Pain reliever with Nimsulide as active agent.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks