Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 08:32   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The i20, I was told does not come in VGT form, but has a FGT variant called WGT? Not sure.
AFAIK - IIRC

VGT - Variable geometry turbo
FGT - Fixed Geometry turbo
WGT - ??

The vanes inside the Turbo charger could be varied to give the TC better range than a FGT, thats why VGTs evolved.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:41   #497
BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Hey guys need your help, was on my was to work today morning, was cruising at around 80 when suddenly a another car came into my lane , since i was at a lower speed i decided downshift, as soon as i pressed the clutch the car jerked and became hard, and and was none responsive, stopped at the side pumped the clutch twice n it sprung back to like, immediately drove down to the hyundai showroom, after a small drive the SA informed me that the pressure plate needs replacing, but he suggest to change the whole clutch plate, will come to around 20K, as of now the car is running fine with a slight drop in pickup, but a very hard n rough clutch....

Im new to this whole thing, what should i do, should i spend n change the whole thing, or can i change just the pressure place.

lastly could this premature clutch failure be because of the Pete's n then the Kiirus Remap, car has done just over 40K
Old 10th May 2011, 12:30   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! Why didn't you drive down? Dont let the rocket stand idle for long, it might just take off on its own!!!
I am moving to mumbai probably by this month end. Will be in mumbai for an year.

I am planning for extra lights because i feel 90/100 bulbs are not ok these days. Any suggestions?
Also reflectors turned bit black because of overheating.
Old 10th May 2011, 14:21   #499
BHPian

@Jayanth some data to finish your spreadsheet.

I took my Car on the highway finally! The car hit 90 kmph at 2000 rpm in 5th. Unlike Jayanth I'm too nervous driving 100 in the city even with 195/14 michelins.

OT My friend just bought the Laura Diesel automatic, he used to own a Getz CRDi. He feels the Getz can beat the Laura in 0 -100 timings even in the "S" mode.

Quote:
Here is an update on the 5th gear / 2000 RPM - 90 KMPH or 100 KMPH issue.

After vdrive, kpzen and I exchanged this, I had a few sleepless nights thinking my clutch is slipping - more so because the car was driven by a few ladies whom I know drive right out of driving schools and ride the clutch (yes, all of them!) in the family, and it was 3000+ KM when I got back after my Philippines assignment. But that was when the car was ~15k KM old, still I was wondering if that would have an effect. I was more or less sure it can't be my driving coz I hardly use the clutch except for gear changes.

I collated the 2000 RPM data for a bunch of Getz CRDi on the forum (as well as Prasanna's Verna CRDi) to see how it looks - I was initially wondering if the later Getz / Verna CRDi had shorter gear ratios, but does not seem so. Here is is what I have:
Attachment 537237

Looks like Prajesh (kpzen) is the only Getz CRDi with the different timing, and vdrive seems to have had a similar timings earlier, but now has fallen back to majority. In fact I have posted in June 2009 that 100 KMPH comes in about 2200 RPM, and 120 KMPH comes up in 2500 RPM - the car was brand new, with less than 300 KM on the clock then.

Prajesh, what mod did you do?? Open up now, you owe me for all the sleepless nights!!!

Shouldn't I be giving you my bank details to offload you of your off-road burden??!

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 10th May 2011 at 14:31. Reason: tyre size
Old 10th May 2011, 14:22   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
AFAIK - IIRC

VGT - Variable geometry turbo
FGT - Fixed Geometry turbo
WGT - ??

The vanes inside the Turbo charger could be varied to give the TC better range than a FGT, thats why VGTs evolved.
Wastegate Turbo was discussed in the i20 Test Drive thread IIRC.
Check this link someone posted there. So does it mean this kind of a turbo mimics a VGT by getting the turbo to spool even at low pressures? Also got to find how different it is from a blow-off valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblood View Post
Hey guys need your help, was on my was to work today morning, was cruising at around 80 when suddenly a another car came into my lane , since i was at a lower speed i decided downshift, as soon as i pressed the clutch the car jerked and became hard, and and was none responsive, stopped at the side pumped the clutch twice n it sprung back to like, immediately drove down to the hyundai showroom, after a small drive the SA informed me that the pressure plate needs replacing, but he suggest to change the whole clutch plate, will come to around 20K, as of now the car is running fine with a slight drop in pickup, but a very hard n rough clutch....

Im new to this whole thing, what should i do, should i spend n change the whole thing, or can i change just the pressure place.

lastly could this premature clutch failure be because of the Pete's n then the Kiirus Remap, car has done just over 40K
For starters, check the clutch fluid and have the clutch bled. Does your clutch slip? Any performance mod puts some extra load on the clutch too - but the car comes with a pretty robust clutch - KPZen has a Pete's, and the car is on 80k now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I am moving to mumbai probably by this month end. Will be in mumbai for an year.

I am planning for extra lights because i feel 90/100 bulbs are not ok these days. Any suggestions?
Ah yes, you told me when we spoke about moving to Mumbhai
For the lights - am back to stock, I got a pair of headlamps from the open market for 5000 bucks. And guess what? The light is much better - they seem to import versions, and come with some Philips bulbs. If your headlamps have darkened, try a pair of new enclosures - I will be modding mine with the HID soon, but the lights are not bad at all - definitely several times better than the stock, no-name bulbs.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 10th May 2011 at 14:50. Reason: Removed Tire-size quote :D
Old 10th May 2011, 14:41   #501
BHPian

Sorry tyre size was a typo, the tyres are the same as what you saw when we met last.

My AC has developed a small problem where the air leaks to the feet even when we set it to only the top vents. Do I have to take it to the service centre or is there an easy fix?

Quote:
Wastegate Turbo was discussed in the i20 Test Drive thread IIRC.
Check this link someone posted there. So does it mean this kind of a turbo mimics a VGT by getting the turbo to spool even at low pressures? Also got to find how different it is from a blow-off valve.

For starters, check the clutch fluid and have the clutch bled. Does your clutch slip? Any performance mod puts some extra load on the clutch too - but the car comes with a pretty robust clutch - KPZen has a Pete's, and the car is on 80k now.

Ah yes, you told me when we spoke about moving to Mumbhai
For the lights - am back to stock, I got a pair of headlamps from the open market for 5000 bucks. And guess what? The light is much better - they seem to import versions, and come with some Philips bulbs. If your headlamps have darkened, try a pair of new enclosures - I will be modding mine with the HID soon, but the lights are not bad at all - definitely several times better than the stock, no-name bulbs.

Hey you up'ed to 15"? When? Alloys? Pics please!!! I just got back to 14" to get back some comfort
Attached Thumbnails
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-img_20110510_143507.jpg  

Old 10th May 2011, 15:45   #502
BHPian

Guys- I'm noticing a click sound when I engage the clutch on my Getz. Its very minute while starting the drive, but as the drive progresses, the click gets more audible.

What could be the issue here? Or is it noticed on all your cars? Also I'm getting a steering rattle while going over very bad roads. Is it a cause for concern?

I'm anyway planning to take it to service centre this weekend. Would like some heads-up on this before that.
Old 10th May 2011, 16:02   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Get my setup in your getz. You had driven my car and felt the lights adequate. Make sure the reflector lens you choose is Glass type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy
My AC has developed a small problem where the air leaks to the feet even when we set it to only the top vents. Do I have to take it to the service centre or is there an easy fix?
I have the same thing in my car too. Just ignore it, will not give any big problems in the future.

Last edited by undead : 10th May 2011 at 16:05.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 17:46   #504
BHPian

Well how would i know if the clutch was slipping..?? what are the signs.??
Old 10th May 2011, 17:56   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Get my setup in your getz. You had driven my car and felt the lights adequate. Make sure the reflector lens you choose is Glass type
I very well remember.
OMG your lights are too powerful and literally blind oncoming bikers and truck walas
I am looking at some setup which gives good visibility without damaging others eye's
Old 10th May 2011, 18:20   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Not a big problem. The switch in the console which controls the direction of the air flow (face / face + leg / wind shield, etc.) is connected by a cable (like cycle brakes) to the actuator. This cable tends to mess up - I had this in the past, it is a 10 min job to fix it.

On a similar note, I disconnected the recirculate / fresh-air control cable from the actuator - the damn thing was not closing the fresh-air inlet properly, and I was smelling auto exhausts and #@$% from the road!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Guys- I'm noticing a click sound when I engage the clutch on my Getz. Its very minute while starting the drive, but as the drive progresses, the click gets more audible.

What could be the issue here? Or is it noticed on all your cars? Also I'm getting a steering rattle while going over very bad roads. Is it a cause for concern?

I'm anyway planning to take it to service centre this weekend. Would like some heads-up on this before that.
Am not sure about a click, my clutch makes a sound old doors make when the hinges are not lubricated. - it is barely audible in the car unless you are listening to it. I guess it is something on the clutch pedal's hinges. Keep me posted on what the click was all about.

For steering rattle, grab hold of pras.oct25 - he had his steering replaced under warranty for some noise coming out of it recently. Btw, are you sure it is the steering? For me the rattling is from the door pads and the dash when on really bad roads.
Quote:
Get my setup in your getz. You had driven my car and felt the lights adequate. Make sure the reflector lens you choose is Glass type.

I have the same thing in my car too. Just ignore it, will not give any big problems in the future.
Vasanth, am going to be in Coimbatore next week (will be there from this Sunday till next Sat), let's catch up sometime. PM me your number...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblood View Post
Well how would i know if the clutch was slipping..?? what are the signs.??
For testing clutch do this
Pull handbrake with car stationary
Put car in 5th gear
take your foot very slowly off the clutch without touching the accelerator.
If your car keeps idling, time for a new clutch. Otherwise, its fine.
(Quoted from here, original post by tsk1979)
Quote:
I very well remember.
OMG your lights are too powerful and literally blind oncoming bikers and truck walas
I am looking at some setup which gives good visibility without damaging others eye's
Wanna go HID? I am hell bent on completing my DIY last week of this month - hope the results will make you shell so much $$$
Old 10th May 2011, 18:39   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I very well remember.
I dont focus the hella's on the oncoming vehicles. I just focus down on the road, so that i get good clearance on the left side of the road to check whether there are two wheelers or bicycles going without reflectors behinsd. And they are ON only when i switch to high beams. Try Lightforce if you have good budget.

Quote:

Vasanth, am going to be in Coimbatore next week (will be there from this Sunday till next Sat), let's catch up sometime. PM me your number...

Wanna go HID? I am hell bent on completing my DIY last week of this month - hope the results will make you shell so much $$$
Will PM you the number.
HID is good , but costs more . Hella is the alternative on tight budget.
Old 10th May 2011, 19:23   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can spend around Rs 6K to 8K on headlights

Also hyundai service guy was telling me that clutch has become hard and i may need to replace pressure plate after 5 or 10K KM. It costs 16K. My car has 31K on odo and i think a pressure plate change at around 40K is just because of this dirty bangalore traffic

Quote:
I dont focus the hella's on the oncoming vehicles. I just focus down on the road, so that i get good clearance on the left side of the road to check whether there are two wheelers or bicycles going without reflectors behinsd. And they are ON only when i switch to high beams. Try Lightforce if you have good budget.
Hey vasanth, i was just kidding bro. Your lights are awesome. Are you still running on 90/100 on stock reflectors?
Old 10th May 2011, 19:28   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also hyundai service guy was telling me that clutch has become hard and i may need to replace pressure plate after 5 or 10K KM. It costs 16K. My car has 31K on odo and i think a pressure plate change at around 40K is just because of this dirty bangalore traffic
That's surprising - don't think the clutch or the pressure plates would give up so soon. Why dont you ask them to change the clutch fluid (scheduled in 30k) and have the clutch lines bled? 31k seems too early.
Old 10th May 2011, 19:56   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey vasanth, i was just kidding bro. Your lights are awesome. Are you still running on 90/100 on stock reflectors?
pressure plate change on 31K? too early i must say.
Forgot the power of the bulbs .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks