Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 22:16   #421
BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)-A Wedding, A Honeymoon and A Funeral (Pg 26

After visiting 3 of the shell bunks in Chennai (pallikaranai, the omr one, and gunidy near hmp) I have found that the pallikaranai shell bunk is the best stocked as far as engine oil is concerned.
Was there yesterday. Picked up a 5 litre can of Rimula R4 for 1300 bucks. Unfortunately they didnt have stock of any 1 litre can of 15w40 grade oil (either hx6 or r4) for the remaining 300ml that is required (5.3L totally for the verna). He said stock expected Tuesday (tomorrow), so will ask my friend to pick up a 1 litre can of R4 on his way home.
Old 31st January 2011, 22:48   #422
Senior - BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)-A Wedding, A Honeymoon and A Funeral (Pg 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
After visiting 3 of the shell bunks in Chennai (pallikaranai, the omr one, and gunidy near hmp) I have found that the pallikaranai shell bunk is the best stocked as far as engine oil is concerned.
Was there yesterday. Picked up a 5 litre can of Rimula R4 for 1300 bucks. Unfortunately they didnt have stock of any 1 litre can of 15w40 grade oil (either hx6 or r4) for the remaining 300ml that is required (5.3L totally for the verna). He said stock expected Tuesday (tomorrow), so will ask my friend to pick up a 1 litre can of R4 on his way home.
Dude, don't get the oil from Shell retail - they sell at MRP!! I thought you knew some wholesaler. Let me try to find that one out, you give it a shot too.
Old 31st January 2011, 23:20   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get 5L, no need to get another 1L can.
Just check the level with dipstick, if its between Min and Max, no need to fill in more.
Old 1st February 2011, 10:24   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Get 5L, no need to get another 1L can.
Just check the level with dipstick, if its between Min and Max, no need to fill in more.
Is this ok even if I do oil changes only every 10k km (as specified in manual) and not earlier like other people do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Dude, don't get the oil from Shell retail - they sell at MRP!! I thought you knew some wholesaler. Let me try to find that one out, you give it a shot too.
I dont know if there is a whole sale guy in Chennai. There was one in bangalore thats where I had got the HX6 the first time I shifted to shell oil.
For the extra 200 bucks as long as I'm getting good quality stuff from shell retail then I dont think its such a big deal.
Old 1st February 2011, 10:42   #425
Senior - BHPian

You have my sincere condolences, Jayanth. Can hardly imagine how much of a shock that must have been.

Have you changed the tyres yet ? They were looking a bit on the worn side as well
Old 1st February 2011, 19:12   #426
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Bottle.

I have not changed them yet, the front tyres have worn out almost completely (I would say 90%), primarily because I have not rotated them for the last 15k KM. The ride has also become hard(er than before).

I was planning to go back to 14" on C.Drives, but the last Nagercoil-Chennai drive is making me rethink. I am planning to stick to 15" and get C.Drives in 185/60 R15 or 195/55 R15 (which, it seems, is not an available choice) - else it is back to S.Drives / A.Drives choice.
Old 7th February 2011, 20:22   #427
BHPian

Phenix - my condolences and congratulations. After reading all your likes well i liked :P. well what can i say. It is pure driving bliss. Have had the vehicle for almost 2 years now. Clocked 65k kms - every km enjoyed to the fullest. Am happy that you are enjoying your vehicle so much too. As for the Rimula R4 I would say please go in for it. The oil changes performance and you can feel it. All the best.

Cheers
Old 19th February 2011, 23:17   #428
Senior - BHPian

Off late the AC blower in the rocket seemed to make a different sort of a noise, like it is strained. About a week ago, the air circulation dropped so bad that I had to move it '3' to get something from it. I know - the AC filter. I shouldn't have been so lazy, should have checked it earlier.

Removed the filters from behind the glove-box, and the noticed leaves and stuff from the cavity where I removed the filters from - very similar to mohan41's post here.

I tried my best, but the darned leaves stay put - need a thin nozzle vaccum cleaner to reach there. Meanwhile I washed the air filter much like what KPZen did. The air flow is now back to normal, but the leaves are still there - have to figure out a way soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Phenix - my condolences and congratulations. After reading all your likes well i liked :P. well what can i say. It is pure driving bliss. Have had the vehicle for almost 2 years now. Clocked 65k kms - every km enjoyed to the fullest. Am happy that you are enjoying your vehicle so much too. As for the Rimula R4 I would say please go in for it. The oil changes performance and you can feel it. All the best.

Cheers
Thanks Shyam. We gotta catch up next time you come here / I come there. Will try the Rimula R4 for the next change - 40k should be up in about a month.
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:25   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

phoenix please post a detailed review of shell rimula R4 if you use it during your next oil change.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:01   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
phoenix please post a detailed review of shell rimula R4 if you use it during your next oil change.
Here is my review of Rimula r4 vs helix hx6 from my verna crdi ownership thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...e-details.html

Quote:
A few observations after engine oil change:
After using Delvac MX for 3rd service, I shifted to the helix hx6 for 4th service. Immediate observation was that the increase in smoothness was 2 fold. Upshifting and downshifting both felt more smooth, and engine braking was easier and more effective.
The idling engine felt almost petrol like with no diesel clutter. While driving too the engine was much quieter, and I could rev high in any given gear and not have the engine get louder until I was really pushing it.
After shifting to Rimula r4 during 5th service, the difference I have seen is that the car is reving more freely in lower rpms and there is lesser lag. Probably also due to a new air filter.
The real benefit of the r4 is felt once I get into the boost range. In 30000km this is the smoothest and most powerful that the car has felt after crossing 1800rpm. The only issue being that the engine gets a touch noisy, but this reduces once the engine heats up and has run a few km.
Just changed the oil last week at 40k service again. Vehicle has quitened down even more this time with the R4 and the performance is amazing.
Dont think twice before trying out this oil.
Old 23rd February 2011, 20:36   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is my review of Rimula r4 vs helix hx6 from my verna crdi ownership thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...e-details.html

Just changed the oil last week at 40k service again. Vehicle has quitened down even more this time with the R4 and the performance is amazing.
Thanks pras.oct25.Will definitely try this oil for the next oil change.I always thought mobil delvac MX was the best mineral oil i can get for my i20.Now there is a even better one.After hearing so many good things,i am tempted to try it out for my i20's next oil change.BTW what drain interval do you maintain?
Old 23rd February 2011, 21:19   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
There you go - the review from someone who has been there and done that

My car is at 37,500 - will be in for service in approx a month from now, and I shall try Rimula R4 *if* I do not get Mobil Delvac 1
Quote:
Prasanna - did you flush the engine this time or anytime in the past? Have you posted the service bill / cost breakup?
Old 24th February 2011, 21:27   #433
BHPian

@sagar - So far every oil changes every 10000km. But after shifting to the R4 I am addicted to how well the car behaves during the initial few thousand km with the new engine oil and am thinking of doing more regular oil changes (5k or 7.5k).
Please do make sure you get the correct grade since shell has so many engine oils available and you can get confused. Rimula R4 is the ash coloured one.
Also verify with your service center regarding any warranty issues. I dont think you should have a problem
ALSO verify that when you get your service bill, you make sure that they have not charged you for engine oil. I had provided engine oil from outside and those guys mentioned oil charges in my bill. They removed it after I reminded them that I got it from outside.

@phoenix - I have posted service details on my ownership thread. I can always show you the bills next time we meet up. I'm not sure if a flush has been done. If it was it should have been done at 30k km. I have to verify this though.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 24th February 2011 at 21:31.
Old 24th February 2011, 22:13   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@phoenix - I have posted service details on my ownership thread. I can always show you the bills next time we meet up. I'm not sure if a flush has been done. If it was it should have been done at 30k km. I have to verify this though.
Your ownership thread is this right? No updates after 26th Nov??! Wrong forum??!

Btw, I religiously change oil every 5k - will do the same even if I go with Rimula R4. If it is Delvac 1, then I will probably push it to 10k, what with the 1k per litre price tag!
Old 7th April 2011, 17:28   #435
Senior - BHPian

Getz / Verna CRDi owners - have any of you succeeded in replacing the fuel tank air filter? Going by the manual, this has to be replaced at 30k, but every time I mention this, my SA goes blank. Even Prajesh (KPZen) was not able to find one IIRC.

I am closing in on 40k rapidly, and will going in for service next week - wanted to check if any of you had any luck, and if so wanted the part number.

Here is what I found from Hyundai Forums:
Quote:
Elantra:
It requires removing the rear wheel well, under the filler tube. From hmaservice:

1 Remove the rear left wheel house inner cover (Refer to "BD" Group in this WORKSHOP MANUAL).
2.Disconnect the hose (A) connected with the canister and remove the fuel tank air filter ( from the filler-neck assembly after unscrewing the mounting bolts ©.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with it unless you drive in dusty conditions, or you have a problem filling the fuel tank, or you have some sort of fuel pressure problem. Then I would change it.
Quote:
Santa Fe
The fuel tank air filter is located inside the left rear quarter panel near the fuel tank filler tube.
Quote:
Sonata (2007)
Left hand rear wheel fender well, Remove access panel, filter/valve is easy to replace.

left side rear gotta remove liner to get to it...its located by the filler......it will last longer if you dont top of your tank....i havent changed mine yet and im at 95,000 miles
Quote:
Sonata (2006 - 2010)

I believe it has to do with the vapor recovery system, but I don't know for sure.

yes, vapor recovery system, and it's made of charcoal.

One of the reasons you don't want to keep toping up your tank beyond the automatic shut-off of the pump, is to protect that filter from getting soaked with gasoline.

This little item is only shown in the full two volume shop manual and it says pitifully little. The fuel tank air filter is depicted as being near the fuel tank filler pipe. No description is provided.

The fuel tank air filter is also the canister close valve, meaning that this filter/valve controls the flow of fuel vapor through the charcoal canister. To get to it, you need to remove the left rear wheel, the fender liner (just a few screws and clips) and you will see it, it has a smallish diameter hose going in and out of it along with an electrical connection, it may be zip tied to the main fuel filler pipe.
Going by this, I am in for trouble - I ALWAYS fill to the brim, which is approximately 8 liters after auto cut-off.

Edit: One more interesting link - with pics: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t58739...ank-filter.htm

Last edited by ph03n!x : 7th April 2011 at 17:33.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks