Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 12:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari EX-4x4 > 43600kms and 2 years

To love, to live, to have, to hold and in time.. let Go.

Tata Safari EX-4x4 > 43600kms and 2 years-dsc01038.jpg

Prelude> I will start this report with a brief about the purpose of ownership of this vehicle.
Cut1 > There was a time I used to trip across the country on a bike, usually riding alone, sleeping at dhabas and lodges and basically roughing it out.
Cut2 > Now I spend about 200 days out of the country. The urge to travel India has not yet died and I wanted to do it differently. Like many on this forum, the search began with trying to source information about the best vehicle that would suit my purpose. Finally trickled down to 2 options and then no options other than the EX-4x4. I read all the horror stories and the good ones too, but, there was no option like this one. Ther are opinions galore on this forum about the Safari, but this one is mine.
This report is about the 28000kms I have done in about 170 days of ownership. About living with this machine, living in the vehicle and basically being part of it and making it part of me and my little mis/adventures.

I call this a short term ownership report. I wasnt sure if I should post it now or wait till 50000kms and post a medium term ownership report. To me, driving a few hundred kilometers is akin to a one night stand. A few thousand kilometers and, im dating. Thats what this is about.

The Safari > To me the safari is somewhat a classic. Looks that I can live with. And now an engine that will not run out of steam on Indian roads for years to come - decent acceleration and decent top end.

Driving my Safari > I do not drive like most other people. Gear changes happen at 2500rpm while relaxed driving and at all other times the vehicle is driven on gear with shifting happening at 3000-3500rpm. Most potholes and undulations are ignored.The vehicle is not spared the odd speedbreaker if its not too big. Any excuse to go off the road is invited with a broad grin. Whether it is 2 wheels or all four off the tarmac does not matter. The ac is on almost all the time - 95%. Basically, the vehicle is driven hard.

On many outdoor trips the engine is left running for 2 days - after a hard days drive, pull over at a dhaba, eat dinner, fold the seats, arrange the sleeping gear and sleep off with the engine and ac running through the night, followed by wake up in the morning, freshen up at the same dhaba,eat and drive off, with the engine running the ac all the time.

I do not know how autocar and overdrive test their vehicles and neither do I wish to compete with them or anyone here, but my safari sees the redline more often than any other.

Standard usage procedure is to do a long trip, give a pressure wash on returning, put cover and fly out. No special treatment.

The engine & performance > Im very happy with the performance. The NHV levels are satisfactory but could be reduced at speeds above 120. In gear acceleration is good > 3rd gear is just wonderful.

The engine has not skipped a beat even once.

Chassis & suspension > The chassis is tough. The suspension is tougher. Ride comfort off the road is simply superb.

Interiors & exteriors > The interiors have held up fine till date. No issues with any of the fixtures either. The ac & heater are excellent. I dont like the rotary knobs though. All the interior gizmos provided as oe are working fine and have not failed once during the ownership term.
The interiors & exteriors have received one coat of polish in 1 year.

TASS > Tata service is good and bad. Good because they proactively try to solve all your problems. Bad because they sometimes dont get get it right. Nevertheless, they have a very good attitude towards attempting to solve problems.

Issues > In 11 months of ownership, the ac fuse popped once enroute ahmedabad and I replaced it. The TASS later told me that ALL 2.2 safari's are being provided 30 amp fuses instead of 25, and mine was replaced too.
Once enroute to Vizag, the hose to the turbo came off and max speed was restricted to 80kph with service light on. Trouble shooting was attempted over the fone and failed and I drove 160 kms to Vizag and the problem was solved in 60-90 mins. No other issues since.
I am not in the habit of looking under the bonnet, and this vehicle has not given me a reason to do so yet, other than the above two episodes.

Complains > The digital odometer shows -6* in Mumbai.

The vehicle has completed these 28000kms without a fuss. On my way back from my recent Orissa forest trip, the service light came on while coasting on all gears after high revs. I intend to have this sorted at the service once I return to the country. Right now the war horse, lies parked in the stable with a cover, before it goes to war again next month.

My Safari will be 1yr old on 1st April.
The Initial ownership report is here> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sure-pain.html

Tata Safari EX-4x4 > 43600kms and 2 years-dsc01039.jpg

Its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all >> Im lovin it.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 21st March 2009 at 12:46.
Old 21st March 2009, 12:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very well written, brief and crisp

Its like a slap on the face of the critics.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:03   #3
adc
Senior - BHPian

Great update!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Gear changes happen at 2500rpm while relaxed driving and at all other times the vehicle is driven on gear with shifting happening at 3000-3500rpm.
Those who havent try out this band, NEVER will you go back to the 2k change mode - the surge and the power delivery is fantastic.

Quote:
3rd gear is just wonderful.
Absolutely, can crawl, go slow, overtake, and also can partly cruise on this gear. this gear gives the automatic feel.

Quote:
The vehicle has completed these 28000kms without a fuss. On my way back from my recent Orissa forest trip, the service light came on while coasting on all gears after high revs.
May be the engine oil or filter, most probably isnt anything major

Last edited by adc : 21st March 2009 at 13:10.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Lovely. Agree with the spirit of dadu's message - this report is almost out to prove a point

PS: Lovely driving km average - you are a shippie or oil driller eh? Else i'd love a job that allows me to travel 170 days a year

Last edited by phamilyman : 21st March 2009 at 13:12.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wondeful report, Jay. May you have many more miles - I think we both have similar usage where all the mileage is racked up during our visits to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I think a slap or two were overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Agree with the spirit of dadu's message - this report is almost out to prove a point
Perhaps, but you will agree that this isnt the only one out to do so - and it does the job in a much more refined and composed manner.

Last edited by Steeroid : 21st March 2009 at 13:21.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great report Jay and keep smoking leaves in Safari 2.2 while driving more and more.

Keep doing more and more journey on the Safari and enjoy your life.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:36   #7
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Great report Jay and keep smoking leaves in Safari 2.2 while driving more and more.
Yes, smoked leaves are much less harmful to health than stale junk food on tour - wait for the travelogue - quite a handful of unwanted incidents and some wonderful experiences.

Quote:
Unwanted incidents related to your travelogues or related to Jay's travelogues.
JSL's recent Orissa forest travel.

Last edited by adc : 21st March 2009 at 13:48.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Yes, smoked leaves are much less harmful to health than stale junk food on tour
That's true ADC

Quote:
wait for the travelogue - quite a handful of unwanted incidents and some wonderful experiences.

Unwanted incidents related to your travelogues or related to Jay's travelogues.

Last edited by gowda79 : 21st March 2009 at 13:59.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:51   #9
BHPian

1st pics is amazing jay!
expresses how you have been driving this beast. the way you have been treating the car it is not less than one. a great report in all!!
Old 21st March 2009, 15:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very well written, brief and crisp

Thanks. It was time for one.
Well about the critics i have only one thing to say. Bitter experiences do tend to make one bitter. Its too easy to criticise. Reaction is a personal thing.

Quote:
Absolutely, can crawl, go slow, overtake, and also can partly cruise on this gear. this gear gives the automatic feel.
Almost

May be the engine oil or filter, most probably isnt anything major
Honestly, im least bothered at this time what the issue may be. Will go to the TASS and pass the headache on to them. Im sure they will figure something out ans sort the issue whatever it may be.

Quote:
Lovely. Agree with the spirit of dadu's message - this report is almost out to prove a point
You may find a few bad fruits in the crate, that doesnt make the fruit species bad as a whole.

PS: Lovely driving km average - you are a shippie or oil driller eh? Else i'd love a job that allows me to travel 170 days a year
Not really, related in a way to Oil & Gas though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Wondeful report, Jay. May you have many more miles - I think we both have similar usage where all the mileage is racked up during our visits to India.
Thanks. Got to make the best of the little free time life has thankfully given us. And the vacations are intensely manic.

Quote:
Keep doing more and more journey on the Safari and enjoy your life.
Got just one life to life. And the time starts NOW.

Quote:
Yes, smoked leaves are much less harmful to health than stale junk food on tour - wait for the travelogue - quite a handful of unwanted incidents and some wonderful experiences.
JSL's recent Orissa forest travel.
Certainly, the junk food was too bad. The incident was a dampener. But the icing on the cake was there nevertheless. The travelogue will take some time. Im completely tied up with work related travel.
But it was time for this report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
1st pics is amazing jay!
expresses how you have been driving this beast. the way you have been treating the car it is not less than one. a great report in all!!
That pic expresses the reason and purpose of my acquisition. To step away from the usual highway. To take the road less travelled, away into the remote, desolate parts of this country that make India what it really is. To see the variety of our cultures and our people. To see this beautiful country of mine.
The Safari does it well, with a broad grin.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 21st March 2009 at 15:45.
Old 21st March 2009, 15:55   #11
BANNED

Nicely written. Keep driving!
Old 21st March 2009, 16:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
this report is almost out to prove a point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I think a slap or two were overdue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks. It was time for one.
Well about the critics i have only one thing to say. Bitter experiences do tend to make one bitter. Its too easy to criticise.
As a person who considers himself fairly impartial because he owns neither Safari nor Scorpio (nor any other SUV), with an interest in buying a 4x4 soon, and with a not insubstantial knowledge and experience of vehicle ownership, operation, maintenance and repair, I find a few things remarkable here - the camaraderie amongst Safari owners, who staunchly refuse to either accept criticism of their rides or accept that others MAY have the right to criticise their rides. (Just one exception: Tanveer).
@ jaysmokesleaves: You have a 1 million rupee vehicle which you use for fun, and in the process, you report a turbo pipe falling off, service light coming on, revs restricted, fuse blown - all in 28000 km - which is about 8 months of routine use for me. And you still say what you say below:
Quote:
Honestly, im least bothered at this time what the issue may be. Will go to the TASS and pass the headache on to them. Im sure they will figure something out ans sort the issue whatever it may be.
and in the same thread you say
Quote:
TASS > Tata service is good and bad. Good because they proactively try to solve all your problems. Bad because they sometimes dont get get it right. Nevertheless, they have a very good attitude towards attempting to solve problems.
IMHO you have actually greatly reduced my interest in the Safari. In the process of slapping critics and appreciating TASS attitude, you've highlighted so many of the negatives of owning one that I am on the verge of backing out of wanting to own one (I TD'd one last Friday).

You slap your critics on the face when people like me line up to buy the product whose virtues you are extolling, despite what the critics might say. I depend on owners like you to convince me that the Safari is worth shelling out 1 million for, and worth owning.

I hope I make my point clear without making any enemies...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st March 2009 at 16:11.
Old 21st March 2009, 16:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

SST, safari is like an enfield. You gotta live with some pain.
When I purchased mine, I was mentally prepared for things like Power window not working. HVAC controls going poof, rattles etc.,
It was part of the payment for owning a 4x4 below 10L
However I got what I did not bargain for. Stuff like real suspension, 4x4, and engine trouble.
I know it may sound funny, but my safari does not rattle any more. There are no niggles at all with the vehicle, just major major issues
So in the end its like a lucky draw.
You may get a piece like adc, no issues, one like jay with some issues, or one like steers or mine with many critical parts being replaced every time you visit the service station!
Old 21st March 2009, 16:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

IMHO you have actually greatly reduced my interest in the Safari. In the process of slapping critics and appreciating TASS attitude, you've highlighted so many of the negatives of owning one that I am on the verge of backing out of wanting to own one (I TD'd one last Friday).

You slap your critics on the face when people like me line up to buy the product whose virtues you are extolling, despite what the critics might say. I depend on owners like you to convince me that the Safari is worth shelling out 1 million for, and worth owning.

I hope I make my point clear without making any enemies...
Not sure on making enemies, but whatever problems he has mentioned those can be termed as niggles for the vehicle, given the fact the treatment given by him.

Donot expect quality like Toyota from Tata, but the issues problem are miniscule given the treatment given to vehicle.

Very nice positive report of Safari.
Old 21st March 2009, 16:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow - that sounds like a used vehicle - a properly used one i.e.
I daresay the issues have been there, but the fun overcompensated - and the extreme usage would've managed to get such "issues" in any car
Awesome, and I guess the right way to use the 4x4

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks