Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 16:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiknov View Post
Hey ! many many congrats! How does it feel to own the beast? reclaiming your life?
Thanks.

Quote:
Tell me if u feel these issues with the beast:
1. At 80+ speed, Driver and opposite side window makes strong hissing sound like the window glass has been left partially open.
Just got the number plate yesterday. Still to go past 80... will keep watch

Quote:
2. Steering makes a hissing sound at full tilt on both sides.
Not felt

Quote:
3. Dashboard buttons go on and off in different ways. Some remain depressed while on, others come back to original position after on.
No

Quote:
4. The vehicle is slightly tilted towards its right side(driver's side)
No

Quote:
5. Front window motors sound very strained while rolling up the glass.
No. Does not make more sound than my 7 year old Wagon-R

Quote:
6. There is a lot of vibration in lower gears and also if u drop speed in heigher gear and then try and accelerate without changing gears.
Hmm... not too much. In fact at 60+ it feels as smooth as my Wagon-R...well almost like that. May be I am used to CI Bullet

Quote:
7. Gearshift and clutch pedal is harder than expected.
Gear is manageable. Clutch is fine.

Quote:
8. Slight pulse is felt in the clutch while removing foot from it or when half depressed.
No experience so far. What do you mean by "pulse"?
Old 19th February 2009, 16:10   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't worry about it being in an accident. I don't think Tata does any kind of quality check before it leaves the factory. Besides they don't make enought 4x4 versions so the even the guy who did the inspection probably forgot to check for the sticker.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2009, 17:08   #48
BHPian

Hey ! many many congrats! How does it feel to own the beast? reclaiming your life?
Do share your experiences with me. I've done a 3500KM on mine. Should be writing a report soon.
Tell me if u feel these issues with the beast:
1. At 80+ speed, Driver and opposite side window makes strong hissing sound like the window glass has been left partially open.
A: There are foam pads on the doors of safari. Chk if u have them missing. They were added to fix this issue only.
2. Steering makes a hissing sound at full tilt on both sides.
A: Oil pump. Extremely normal...don't bother about this.
3. Dashboard buttons go on and off in different ways. Some remain depressed while on, others come back to original position after on.
A: True. This is how they are. Some switches are to stick inside when clicked and some are push and back buttons. eg. the behavior of Fog Lamp Switch and Rear window washer is different and so is the lights as well.

4. The vehicle is slightly tilted towards its right side(driver's side)
A: Its just a feeling. Sit in a Hyundai Accent and you will feel this tilt even more. Its just an optical illusion. However TASS does increase the height of front part at times and it could happen when one part has been hightened a little more. You can get this checked...2 mins job.
5. Front window motors sound very strained while rolling up the glass.
A: Normal. The front glasses are much heavier and bigger than rear though all use same motors so u hear extra noise. Glass might also be sticking to beading leading to this...but still normal...get your beading checked anyways for any abnormal wear & tear.

6. There is a lot of vibration in lower gears and also if u drop speed in heigher gear and then try and accelerate without changing gears.
A: two things: torque and lack of refinement..this is how this beast behaves...

7. Gearshift and clutch pedal is harder than expected.
A: Get clutch bleeding done + Get spring near the pedal greased

8. Slight pulse is felt in the clutch while removing foot from it or when half depressed.
A: Normal. At half clutch press you might feel light pulse. feels like heart beat if this is what you are talking about. Infact its not at half clutch..press the clutch only a few milimeters and you will feel this...its normal

If possible, meet up we can swap our beasts for a ride and check if the problems are common or specific.
members, please share ur views regarding these things.
thanks

Hope all the above replies help....ur beast seems to be normal buddy....get used to it :-)

Rajeev

Last edited by rajismine : 19th February 2009 at 17:11.
Old 19th February 2009, 20:57   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the tilt to the side, it maybe possible that the front torsion bars need to be adjusted. They may not be set at the same height. Get your vehicle on a flat surface and using a tape measure. Measure the distance from the floor to the center of the front wheel arch on both sides. If you see a difference it requires a torsion bar adjustment.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

First spin

Just got a chance to spin the beast last weekend on NH-4 bypass. Truck handled great, save one observation that was already posted here. Review will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
At 80+ speed, Driver and opposite side window makes strong hissing sound like the window glass has been left partially open.
Just got the number plate yesterday. Still to go past 80... will keep watch
I did feel this air "turbulence" noise on the driver window after 100+. What is the remedy? I thought it may be due to the depression of "rain water groove" that runs through the edge of the roof and parallel to the windows on both sides. This might be disturbing the aerodynamics and causing the "whistle" ?

Btw, I found a way to clean the roof of the truck. It cost me a trip to the McDonalds. Hope no child labor activists here
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-21022009.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2009, 15:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Btw, I found a way to clean the roof of the truck. It cost me a trip to the McDonalds. Hope no child labor activists here
you got all of us here in splits by this comment and picture! Good one mate!
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, I found a way to clean the roof of the truck. It cost me a trip to the McDonalds. Hope no child labor activists here
What an idea! A bit too late for me to implement this, though - 44kg can make a dent on the roof and a larger one on my pocket @ McDees.

Quote:
I did feel this air "turbulence" noise on the driver window after 100+. What is the remedy? I thought it may be due to the depression of "rain water groove" that runs through the edge of the roof and parallel to the windows on both sides. This might be disturbing the aerodynamics and causing the "whistle" ?
Your elephant has very big ears. Try folding the ORVMs in and see if you have the same issue.
Old 6th March 2009, 18:00   #53
BHPian

Dear BJ96,

I think your TM dealer is definitely trying to cheat you on Rear Wheel Cover - All 2.2s still come with the same Wheel Cover with T- logo. Just checked it personally at Joshi Auto Zone, Chd - couple of hrs back (went for small work on my 2.2)

As a personal choice, you might like to keep this vintage Wheel Cover, but for me - this new Wheel Cover is the one which distinguishes 2.2 from 3L Dicor from rear...

Also saw a new badge on 2.2 GT - on LHS fender:
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Safari 4x4. EDIT: Sold after 11 years-20090306155611-medium.jpg  

Old 6th March 2009, 19:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
The only discount that is being offered on 2009 models is the 6.5k on account of extended warranty...My Ex 4x4 has cost me somewhere around 10.65 - U'll have to check your city prices!

Exactly! That's the purpose for which it holds itself there...
10k for 1009 and 30k for 2008 models in Kerala.

Quote:
Just got a chance to spin the beast last weekend on NH-4 bypass. Truck handled great, save one observation that was already posted here. Review will follow.

Thats a good one.
Old 6th March 2009, 20:02   #55
BANNED

Awesome. Congrats. This is one of the best Indian SUV's. I am waiting for the day to come when I shall own one.
Old 6th March 2009, 21:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishlesh View Post
I think your TM dealer is definitely trying to cheat you on Rear Wheel Cover - All 2.2s still come with the same Wheel Cover with T- logo.
What will he gain? I like the "Safari" one so no issues :-).
Did you check the VX variant? Most showrooms have only EX (or now GX) for display? I have a feeling VX comes with "safari" cover- not sure, though. Saw another brand new, VX on road (MH 12 FF series) with spare wheel cover like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishlesh View Post
Also saw a new badge on 2.2 GT - on LHS fender
Yes this one looks neat... but then, it's life, you can't wait forever. I remember, 2002 wagon-r's did not come with clear headlamps, roof rails etc... just few months after my purchase, they added them but took away rear "MAV" metal embossed thingy and the rear spoiler.

Btw, dealer has put the 4x4 decals on my truck, and since, it was done in front of me, I made them put just below the mirrros (above usual place). Now my truck looks a customized one- with a different wheel cover at the back and 4x4 visible differently

Readying up for the trucking tomorrow.

Cheers,

-BJ
Old 10th March 2009, 22:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

Initial experience before I forget

I took delivery of the truck on 15th of last month and have clocked about 1050 kms so far and due for 1st service. Before, I forget the experience which is still fresh in my mind let me share my experiences of buying and initial ownership experience of Safari. I will base my write-up on Dadu’s initial experience thread which I found well structured and informative.

Why Tata Safari

Already have a car (Wagon-R, VXi, 2002, ~42600kms). Wanted second car, mainly for weekends and occasional extended guests.

Cars considered:
  • Corolla Altis top end (MT)– was floored by smoothness of engine, interiors, features and champagne red color (no black in Altis [FONT=Wingdings]L[/FONT]) in the showroom. Salesman was very warm and courteous too. After excise cut, was almost decided to book it. Black Altis not available- another reason, worked against it.
  • Honda Civic- top end MT – Pune dealer/salesman was a put off. He didn’t value our time and probably didn’t take us seriously. Didn’t turn up with TD vehicle. Probably, he looked at my small car and gauged my wallet size as much ;-). Anyways, both missus and self didn’t quite like overall looks- too funky and sporty for me. We like classic and sober stuffs.
  • Innova and Scorpio – ruled out due to looks and owners' profile etc by both missus and self.
Why Tata Safari:
  • Looks (love at first sight), long time cherished goal of owning one ever since saw the 1st release circa 1998.
  • Value for money
  • Road presence
  • Liked the power, field of view and overall feel during TD
  • Already have a car, buying another sedan will intersect with utilities and it will just be ‘another’ car.
  • Loyalty to brand Tata (both wifey and me grew up in hinterlands of Jamshedpur) and “Made in India” patriotic feeling.
Apprehensions
-Negative user comments
-Niggling issues reported
-Touch and feel of interiors, plastic, rattles etc.

Discounted the apprehensions and went ahead with heart. My earlier experience, of buying Royal Enfield on similar gut, haven’t made me regret after.

Buying Experience

Negotiated with all dealers. TD with two. None offered any cash discount other than already stipulated by TML. The offers of two (Pandit Auto and B U Bhandari) were at par. Other dealer did not look very professional. Didn’t have a TD vehicle. Used the showroom piece (EX variant) for TD and asked for 50% OTR as booking amount. BuB, Pashan was nearest from my place of dwelling and had a polite salesman. They had a VX 4x4 version (early 2.2 release, ~25000kms) for TD. Test drove 4 times with them, including a 4x4 mode demo on a remote construction site before making final decision to go with them.

Delivery period committed was 3-4 weeks (note 4x4 is usually made to order and not readily available with TML) with following freebies:
  • Ext warranty 5k
  • Corp Discount 6k
  • Underboady coating
  • Waxoyl + matting + mud flaps
Expected to receive keys by 3rd week and present it as a wedding anniversary gift to wifey but did not get it [FONT=Wingdings]L[/FONT]. The salesman I was speaking to left job and for about a week I had no update on the delivery. After I spoke to GM of BuB, everything started moving ok and finally got the delivery within committed period of 1 month. All commitments were met without any ifs/buts, contrary to stories of false promises.

Overall, I would recommend B U Bhandari, Pashan.

Delivery

Went on 15th Feb, Sunday, 11AM for delivery with T-BHP checklist. I had already downloaded the PDF of Safari Owner’s Manual from TML site and read it couple of times- this helped me to augment the T-BHP checklist.

The vehicle was washed clean, but, none of the committed accessories was done as the vehicle was received from TML on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, being a holiday, their workshop was closed. A small puja was arranged by them and photos were clicked. Paperwork was already done and kept ready. Warranty for tyres and PUC was not present. As per them it is reckoned as per delivery date. Other usual documents (battery warranty, immobilizer/ICE remote and manual/vehicle manual) was given. Extd warranty booklet was not ready as vehicle was not yet registered.

Odo reading was 53kms. I immediately noticed the missing 4x4 decals on sides. The delivery executive from BuB also noted it and immediately contacted their store in-charge to check with TML. Also noticed the old style "Safari" spare wheel cover. Liked it.

Following things were agreed to be completed by Tuesday:
1. 4x4 decals, if available
2. RTO Registration
3. Insurance Cover note
4. Extd warranty
5. Underbody coating +waxoyl+matting+mud flaps
6. Right rear door knob was protruding out a wee bit (to be fixed in 1st service).

Since, the truck did not have a number and insurance, I drove it home carefully and parked it quietly. I was looking out for unusual noise like power steering hissing, krr krr, engine hiccup etc on the way. But did not feel them on my short journey (~5kms) back home. Also noticed that it took a while (almost reached my home) before the engine temp indicator moved from extreme left. I was confused, as wagon-r warms up in a mater of minutes if not few seconds. Googled around and was comforted by the fact that diesel engines loose less heat and hence takes a longer time to warm up.

Waited impatiently for two days and took the car back to BuB, Pashan on Wednesday for the remaining work. Everything was done except #1 as decals were out of stock and it was placed on order with TML.

Initial drive

After number plate, the odo reading was ~90kms. Filled 500/- worth of shell super diesel and took it out for a short spin on NH4 bypass… all the while worrying about tales of service light, krr krr, hiss, hiccups etc. But, none of them surface in my short drive of about 20kms or so.

1st day in office was interesting. People queued up wanting to get a ride in the truck. The moment I unlocked through remote, folks huddled to get into front and middle rows. Finally, 8 full adults, including me, went on for a luncheon to veer-da-dhaba. Touched 80+, other than the grunt of diesel, there were no more sound. Peace. Meanwhile, 4x4 decals arrived and were fixed and every now and then as opportunity presented, kept doing small, small rides, 80kmph/2500 RPM experiments etc. But did not face any issues so far. Touch wood. Feeding the beast on Shell Super Diesel.

Finally, last weekend, took out the beast for some cruising on Pune->Nashik highway to Bhandardara. Did about ~550 kms of tarmac (NH-50) and broken roads (Otur -> Brahmanwada), state highway (SH-46) and some off roading (Randha falls, Amruteshwar and near by hills), tested 4H too. No issues. The truck held its ground very well. I will post the ride in a separate travelogue. In the process, I have just crossed 1k mark on odo and the beast is due for first service.

Some issues that I found so far are:
  • Wind turbulence noise around pilot window. Getting used to it. Now not that irritating.
  • Rear door rattles after otur->brahmanwada (~20kms) ride on broken road through ghat. Felt like the spare wheel cover causing the rattle?
  • Tail gate cladding is loose towards right edge
  • Felt some suspension creaking (driver side) noise when taking a sharp turn downhill with brake pedal pressed to the floor. Normal? Was it due to ABS as the gravels underneath sliding off?
  • AC blower speed controller knob on the dash feels bit warm when switched on?
  • Rubber stopper missing on rear left door?
  • 3 out of 4 door rattles when closed with a thud. Looks like the x-members that hold the glass vibrates?
  • Glove box lead rattles- since last drive.
Am I happy?

Yes.

What do I miss?
The new ORVM’s with indicators and 2.2VTT/Dicor metal embossing on the fenders. Added just after a couple of weeks of my delivery.

Will I recommend Tata Safari?
Absolutely yes.

Cheers,
-BJ
Old 10th March 2009, 23:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Few more points

Wanted to add:

1. I have claimed 50%NCB of Wgn-R and negotiated for insurance. This reduced the premium from ~39k to ~16k. Thanks to T-BHP for insight.

2. Alpine HU didn't slip a single bit of dvd even when driving on broken road between Otur ->Brahmanwada.

3. Thanks to suspension, my daughter didn't wake and we arrived w/o fatigue.

4. FM reception is erratic with indoor antenna (even tried DX mode) in most areas in suburbs where my old wagon-r with kenwood + external antenna plays nicely. How can this be improved?
Old 11th March 2009, 07:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

That was a good experience, BJ96. Especially with the dealer sticking to his word and delivering on time.

And trust me, you should be happy that you did not get that ORVM with the indicator. Driving on our road, the first casualty will always be the ORVM and if with indicator, it will be even a bigger damage.
Old 14th March 2009, 20:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Frst mileage report of my safari

1. Total HSD used 63 liters (tank full to tank full- auto stop on dispenser)
2. Total distance traveled: 789 kms
3. Mileage = 789/63 = 12.5 kmpl

HSD used:
Shell Super Diesel (49 litres)
HP Turbo diesel(14 litres)*

Driving conditions:
30% City (1-4 gear)
20% NH 50 (90-100 kmph)
40% State Highways (<80kmph mostly in 4th gear)
10% ghat, village and broken roads (10-40kmph) with a few kms of 4H drive
100% AC usage
95% of drive with two adults + 1 child and <50KG luggage.

* Emergency refill from a highway bunk on NH-50 near Ale Phata. I suspect the quality (and quantity) of diesel as there was appreciable loss of power after this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks