Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:30   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

@Eddy, Aparnesh's car is in Wty - it is only 10 months old.

Aparnesh, even Benbsb29 has had this problem. But since his car is out of wty, he has by-passed the heater part .

Post 341 :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1587604

Check posts 417, 418, & 419:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1884625
Old 3rd October 2010, 23:21   #347
Team-BHP Support

Parwath, 20 kmpl on the return journey despite the high speeds is good. I still am curious as to why your FE within city is always on the lower side.

@ Aparnesh : Condor has pointed you to the issue which you are facaing, as well as the solution. This is among the most common defects on the Ikon, and the solution too is simple, in case you do not want to replace the divertor valve. However, the downside of the solution which i have adopted is that you would not be able to use the regulator to control the A/C temperature anymore. It would always be at the lowest temperature. :-S
Old 4th October 2010, 07:32   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

@Benny, my city FE is about 14 -14.5kmpl, with A/c. Two reasons for lower FE till recently are the short commute to office (where most of my running is). I dont think the engine even gets to warm up sufficiently by the time I reach. Also, I had been running on lower air pressure in the tyres till recently.

Speeds on the return journey were not as high as the on-ward part. I was expecting a little more. I would not use this trip as a benchmark for FE since most of the driving was by a professional driver - who had excellent control on the car. For FE calculations, I'll have to check when I do the driving myself. This particular trip was different, and also an exception about having him come along.
Old 4th October 2010, 18:22   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of pics from the trip, both taken on the return journey, off NH-63 near Yellapur.

Camera : SE C905

It's a mud track, off one of the side roads, where we had a lovely lunch at a friend's place

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-kavadigere3a.jpg

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-kavadigere2.jpg

Last edited by condor : 4th October 2010 at 18:23.
Old 6th October 2010, 14:24   #350

Thanks Condor, Eddy...It was really nice to know that the problem can be fixed comparatively without much hassles as also the fact that I'm not the only one in the stable on this. Intend getting it fixed under the warranty of course, but just for future planning what does the dammned part cost??

@Condor.. Your post about the trip to Karwar brought memories of two things. Firstly of the place, having been stationed there for two years. I was staying in "Kamat Enclave" (if you know where and what that is)... miss the excellent landscapes... and of course Amrut's food. Secondly of my own recent trip from Kolkata to Vizag. Excellent highways (runways at some places rather) for the most part of the journey except about a stretch of 80 kms from Balugaon to Behrampore in Orissa where construction work is still on. Made the distance till Bhubaneswar (approx 450kms) in flat six hours. Since I had ample time to reach destination after that decided to visit Puri for the night. The car behaved like a dream till the divertor valve decided to make its presence felt. Otherwise the drive was very good and with top speeds of 150 kmph without any fuss (the car was lightly loaded and I was the only passenger) ... average FE of 19 kmpl. Really impressed with the performance and have decided to christen the car "Greased Lightning" !!

By the way, can someone provide a feedback about the Ford guys in Vizag.. would be extremely beneficial when I take the car to sort out the divertor valve problem.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:00   #351
Senior - BHPian

There is onlly one dealer in Vizag--at least that was the position a year back before Figo was introduced. Not sure about now.

I am always sceptical of dealers who are in a monopolistic position.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:07   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

@Aparnesh, now that you mention it - the Ikon's boot was loaded most of the way when going, and yet we managed that FE & speeds. For the rest of the onward journey, we actually had even more luggage . We even moved a couple of bags into the cabin. That 400 odd liters of boot space is a blessing, esp on such long journeys.

@vnabhi, not just monopolistic dealers - Ford's dealers seem to be over loaded now, esp after the Figo's launch. Pls be ready for issues with servicing.
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:53   #353

Guys, have got the problem sorted out. Thanks for the inputs. But the replacement predicatably did not happen in the first visit. Had to give the "Director" of the Service Centre a piece of my mind before things moved on the secont visit.

"Greased Lightning" is back in business!
Old 24th October 2010, 11:37   #354
BHPian

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have question regarding the ikon TDCi. I am contemplating the idea of buying a diesel sedan. I am getting the Ikon TDCi in Trivandrum for an OTR price of few thousands less than 6 lakhs. What do you guys have to say about the decision to go ahead and buy the car? I know the ikon misses a few creature comforts when compared to competition. However, the excellent mileage and the driveability both in city and highway seems too tempting. Also the initial expense is atleast 2 lakhs less than the nearest competitor. Please let me know your thoughts, your replies would really help me in making a wise decision, one that would not cause a regret in the next few years. Thanks.
Old 24th October 2010, 12:09   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

@Basilmabraham, the Ikon TDCi by itself is a very good choice. Gives you a good balance of performance, economy, comfort for driver & passengers, space, luggage space, and at a good price.

My only concern is the slightly higher price of spares & the servicing. Ford dealers seem to be a bit overloaded.

I'd say, you can go ahead with this one. Just work on the A.S.S part, so that you have a good relationship with your service center.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:36   #356
BHPian

Thanks Condor for the quick reply. I hope to make a decision soon. I may either buy this one or wait for a few more months. Thanks once again.
Old 8th December 2010, 16:10   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

December 2010 : 16660 km (only).
FE : 15.5 kmpl in city with atleast 60% A/c.

A pic from the Karwar trip, on one of the side-roads off the Hubli-Yellapur highway:

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonyellapur.jpg
Old 8th December 2010, 17:06   #358
Senior - BHPian

re: Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(

Parwath, nice click of your Ikon here.
Looks in pristine condition. What no scratches at all ?
How long now the Ikon has been with you? for a diesel , it looks like it has run less.
The alloys looks good, these are 14 inchers, isn't it ? Any issues so far ? Did you have any issues with the heavily filled boot touching the tyre?
Old 11th December 2010, 17:48   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

23 months, 16.5k

@FM, thanks. Well, there's a scratch or two around. This pic isnt much of a close up to reveal those flaws.

The car's now 23 months. Running is less since I'm having to use the Sumo also, and total daily running is quite low.

Yes, 14"-ers. And 185 spec. No issues at all, even with a completely loaded boot + 4 people. No under-body scrapes, and no fouling by the wheels.
Old 14th December 2010, 13:39   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Ikon Stock Lighting

The Ikon's stock headlamps are actually good enough. Here's a shot taken on the Hubli-Yellapur section during the late Sept trip to Karwar. This is on with fogs, but adjusted for height. (there is a motorized head-lamp levelling function)

Pic taken at about 80 kph, with a Casio Exilim P&S.
(No, I was not driving )

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonstockillum.jpg

Planning to try the 55/60W Osram Silverstar. Should improve things a little more.

Last edited by condor : 14th December 2010 at 13:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks