Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 14:49   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

So finallyFord strikes ! Was hoping it wasnt the divertor, but now that you have confirmed it, I am heading over to Lathangi on monday. Thanks, Benny !
Old 14th May 2010, 15:29   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So finallyFord strikes ! Was hoping it wasnt the divertor, but now that you have confirmed it, I am heading over to Lathangi on monday. Thanks, Benny !
Dont you want to wait and check if it happens again?
Also, its not like the replacement is a permanent solution. Jaguar (Ramesh) had the valve replaced 5 times on his 2.5 year old Ikon.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:32   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, this wasnt the first time it's happened. Earlier I had not investigated, but this time I did.

The behaviour is not consistent : when it happened on wednesday, it didnt re-occur again that day. But yes, an eye is out on this.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:54   #304
BHPian

I recently took a test drive of my friend's Ikon and here are my observations (some of these have been touched upon before here):

1. The steering wheel seemed quite low to me. I own an Alto and I can easily sit in it with my legs joined together without touching the steering but couldn't do so in the Ikon. It was ok to drive though.

2. The outside rear view mirror was too small to see anything quickly. I had to stare for a second or two to make out what was there. May be you get used to such things in time.

3. The interiors seemed cramped to me, especially the front part. It seems like Ford wanted to hit a particular overall car length and had to make compromises somewhere. The rear legroom also didn't seem great to me.

4. The controls for power windows are in a most stupid position. You'd always have to look down to find out where they are.

5. The car was fun to drive. Very responsive (Nxt 1.6) and sporty.
Old 14th May 2010, 17:52   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, this wasnt the first time it's happened. Earlier I had not investigated, but this time I did.

The behaviour is not consistent : when it happened on wednesday, it didnt re-occur again that day. But yes, an eye is out on this.
Thats generally the issue. Once I went all the way upto lathangi and couldn't replicate the problem . Usually if you run the A/c in the min setting, it'll work. Sometimes it automatically fixes itself overnight. My current unit works properly but the solinoid makes a tuck-tuck sound every 20 seconds. Thinking whether to live with the sound or risk another replacement. I have replaced the diverter valve during each service in the past 2.5 years.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:26   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jaguar : Thats generally the issue. Once I went all the way upto lathangi and couldn't replicate the problem
Lathangi did not ask me to replicate the problem. Apparently they had 5 other cars with the same problem yesterday. Got the car back today morning, after a warranty replacement of the " Master Valve ". The stores person said that this normally happens because of rusting in metallic shaft inside the valve. I didnt see any rusting, though. He said that the currently available part should not have this problem (of failing). Only time will tell.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-acdivertorvalve.jpg
Old 24th June 2010, 18:20   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

4th Service / 18 months / 12870 km

Ford servicing is still not cheap.

4th service today, at 12870 km cost me 3570/-.

Main items :
Fuel Filter Assy : Rs. 896.75
Oil filter : Rs. 318.20
Oil (3.8L of 5W30, regular) : Rs 763.38
Paid servicing : Rs 1097.92

Consumables ..

Problems that I had reported :
1. Reverse gear engage problem - would not slot in first attempt often. Resolved.
2. Rear seat bench part had come off, clip was replaced.

What they missed : washing. Since I was in a hurry, it will be done later. Didnt want to wait for another hour for that.

But the best part is my old SA Shrinivas is back. He was missing for about 5 months. Was good to see him today.

Overall :
the work was done fine. But not very happy with the service costs. Major surprise was the fuel filter assy.

My truck, with close to twice that amount of oil costs less to service than that.

Incidentally, I stopped by at SKS to check fog lamps. The Logan's fog lamp costs approx 1300/- a piece ! Full estimate including fitting etc was quoted at little less than 3k. Compare that with the truck's fog lamp unit : Rs 425/-

Tata still rocks when it comes to spares & maintenance costs.
Old 24th June 2010, 20:13   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford servicing is still not cheap.

hmm!! I hope the same is not true for petrol Ikon's. My flair's 4th servicing is due in August but probably will do it by july end. I also have a issue with engaging reverse gear but on second attempt every time it engages, so not bothered much about it. But can it be corrected?
Old 24th June 2010, 20:20   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

@FordManchau, incidentally was reading your thread just yesterday. Must say I like the front bumper that your model has. It was the best bumper the Ikon ever had.

Service bill should be a little lesser for the Flair, esp on account of the fuel filter. The diesel fuel filter is a little more expensive. There should be a little more difference in the engine oil price & qty too.
Quote:
Fordmanchau : I also have a issue with engaging reverse gear but on second attempt every time it engages, so not bothered much about it. But can it be corrected?
This is the same problem I had. Do get it checked - nothing was replaced on my car to get it resolved. Hopefully the problem is gone for good.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:41   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@FordManchau, incidentally was reading your thread just yesterday. Must say I like the front bumper that your model has. It was the best bumper the Ikon ever had.
This is the same problem I had. Do get it checked - nothing was replaced on my car to get it resolved. Hopefully the problem is gone for good.
Thanks, when I was shopping, the new bumper Ikon had been introduced, but the sales man was hell bent that I buy the old one and I don't regret at all. It does look so sporty, I somehow doesn't like the new one, but I know that once you own it, the design will grow on you.

I'll also get the reverse gear thing checked out.Just today we got the message of a monsoon camp from Ford.Will get it checked there.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:43   #311
BHPian

Quote:
I too have the same issue with my new fiesta. Do you think Ford gear box itself has some issues? I too sent it to Lathangi. I have to wait and see if they correct this one.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:59   #312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Main items :
Fuel Filter Assy : Rs. 896.75
Oil filter : Rs. 318.20
Oil (3.8L of 5W30, regular) : Rs 763.38
Paid servicing : Rs 1097.92
For comparison's sake, here are the applicable prices for the petrol Ikon, taken from my ownership thread, which were applicable for the 40,000 kms service at Lathangi Ford.

40,000kms_service

Quote:
Following is the breakup of the service costs :

Fuel Filter : 139.52
Mesh Filter : 120.31
Wash fluid pouch : 49.89
Oil filter : 81.75
Element aircleaner : 267.46
Brake pads : 1442.52
Distilled water : 5.62
Spark Plugs : 4 * 68.72
Engine Oil : 736.00
Clip (?) : 6 * 3.84

Labour :

Service : 916.80
Brake System bleed : 183.36
Brake pads remove & install : 213.92
Spark plugs remove & install : 61.12
Consumables : 175.00

Total on Labour : 1550.20
Total on Parts : 3140.99
Total including tax : 5243.00
We can conclude the service costs as compared to the petrol Ikon are certainly on the higher side for the diesel.

I suppose that's the same with the Swift P & D twins as well? Can someone confirm?
Old 25th June 2010, 12:22   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RaguHolla : Do you think Ford gear box itself has some issues?
Possibly a small thing about the reverse gear - because I dont see any problems with the other gears.

Quote:
benbsb29 : For comparison's sake, here are the applicable prices for the petrol Ikon .. applicable for the 40,000 kms service at Lathangi Ford.

We can conclude the service costs as compared to the petrol Ikon are certainly on the higher side for the diesel.
Benny, just to bring things a little more on par, the major difference here are :

the brake pads 1.8k for the parts and for the install.
Air filter & mesh filter : 400 (rounded off). Not done on my car this time.

So excluding these two items, the difference is approx 500/-. A little less than for diesels, but still not there yet. I would have expected maintenance on the petrol to have been lesser.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:22   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A little less than for diesels, but still not there yet. I would have expected maintenance on the petrol to have been lesser.
Oh man!! Condor! spare us some hope and happiness!!
We petrol guys anyways fret over the low diesel prices and better fuel efficiency you people enjoy.
On the brighter side, Ben's service cost is at 40K kms and yours at 13K kms.
Hope atleast maintenance is less for us.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:03   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

No, no. What I meant was the difference was about 500/- less for petrols, as per my calculations. And I used to think that the difference would be more.

Benny provided that for comparison because both the cars had oil & filter changes. He too would have seen similar costs at his 18 months / 20k servicing. I had to go for scheduled service because the car is now 18 months old .. so the servicing was irrespective of the running the car has done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks