Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 10:47   #16
BHPian

Way to go... I too have one and have 28k on the ODO. Bought it for my Dad and was not much into cars as I was way too much obssessed with my RD350. However now I am driving it, thats another story.
Frankly I used to hate it but the after few instances I started loving it.

Didnt have much time lately to explain but do watch out as I would be soon writing up my experience with Estilo.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Though i don't own one I use it occasionally and the ride is good for the city. Those who drive broader Tyre cars, will hate it on Highway ride. Any how good and good Fe and comfort for the short drives.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Having used the Estilo(The older one) a lot, i can say the following.

(+)ves:
  • Spacious
  • Powerful enough for the city
  • VFM
  • Good all round visibility
(-)ves:
  • Performance takes a huge dip with the AC on
  • Very poor FE within the city, pretty good on the highways
  • Vague steering feel and Gearbox (For new drivers)
  • Very poor dynamics
  • Poor plastics/Rattles

Last edited by DRIV3R : 18th July 2010 at 17:18. Reason: Formatting
Old 30th March 2012, 18:53   #19
BHPian

Re: Zen Estilo - 10,000 km Report

Nice honest report. I have done a 50000 just now. When we started talking about selling this car after 4years, i find it hard to find a reason to sell it. right from daily commute to airport drops and pick ups, i never found it inefficient. Lot of space, peppy engine, fast to overtake? Both on highways and city. Never blundered on the long trips. Easy for elders to enter and exit. Elders find bench seat at back lot more comfy, my mom with back pain finds it too comfortable. overall it is a perfect family small car. Never let us down on the road, was not too expensive to maintain and there is always martui to service you. Will be selling this cute workhorse soon.??
Old 23rd July 2024, 14:40   #20

Baby Chamko - Not so Zen!

How do you start writing about a car that’s been in your family for 16 years! Let’s start from the beginning.

We’ve had Maruti cars in the family for as long as I remember and my parents were always able to maintain two separate cars respectively. Dad would drive his car to work leaving mom’s car to be used for the house - school pickup’s, classes, grocery runs and the “L sign” when my sister and I were learning how to drive. In a way this car was the true family beater. Over the years, the car changed from a Maruti 800 - Zen - Suzuki Alto - Zen Estilo.

When my parents took delivery of the Estilo (Summer 2008), I was away at grad school but was visiting and my sister was already married and they were downsizing their own lives. I still remember my sister calling me in shock - Mom just bought the UGLIEST car possible - it’s a golden Zen Estilo. Although I did not question the car, I did question the color to which my dad admitted he made a mistake. He thought he booked the beige only to realize on the delivery date it was golden! My mom on the other hand was a happy customer. Her limited neighborhood drives were comfy in Baby Chamko (my friend coined this term) and she was thrilled she had power windows and electrically adjustable side mirrors.

Cut to 2009, I moved back home. I am 23, I have no money and I am starting up a business. There is nothing bigger than a mother’s heart and she allows me to use her car for my daily commute (she didn’t have to). So Baby Chamko was all mine. What I thought would be a couple of years, ended up being five. Until I was able to purchase my first car.

Over the past ten years, the car was basically parked outside collecting rust. My mom barely drove the car (maybe twice a month). The past five years dad and I were convincing mom to learn how to drive an automatic - but she disagrees. She refuses to sell the car. My dad refuses to repair it. We’ll crank up the car once in a while and that’s it! I still wouldn’t understand why my mom would not opt for either - It just seemed the most logical solution.

To me this car symbolized my days of struggle and immense hard work. It’s something I never wanted, but felt stuck with. I am a big guy and I love driving. So 4 out 5 times, I would take my car out when I was going to meet friends or family. The jokes and commentary would not stop - When do you sell this car? Can you re-paint this please? You can’t call yourself a car guy! And my favorite: Dude, you look like a teddy bear driving a go-kart! I couldn’t wait to hand this back to my mom and get the car I wanted. When I did, I forgot about the Estilo.

To my mother, driving perhaps symbolized her own freedom. She was proud that she could drive and has been driving for 40 years! Over the past 22 years, we’ve had four dogs and we lost our fourth and final dog about ten days ago and she’s sure she wants no more pets. This possibly sparked a need for her to let go of something she was holding on to. One morning at breakfast, we have to move the car because of the excessive rainfall and we’re complaining about how yet again, one more thing’s broken down in the Estilo - and she says it - “Let it go, sell it”. We finally do. She’s gone. For my mother, this wasn’t about selling “her” car but her final car. She still refuses to learn an automatic!

I didn’t care to think about this car let alone, write about it. I wasn’t there to say goodbye and neither was my mom. My dad was able to sell this car for some INR 35,000 - and I sat with mom to discuss all the good and bad times we’ve had through these 16 years. What it symbolizes to her? What it symbolizes to me? So what is it about cars? Is it the time it represents or the time and headspace we were in when we owned them? At 16 years, Estilo's seen it all! Friends, Grocery Runs, our pets, our kids, our freedom, our struggles and our dreams - they’re almost as important as the spaces we live in.

Some pictures I could dig out from memory cards!

Dad taking the delivery. I am guessing this is at Sidhivinayak Temple.

Zen Estilo - 10,000 km Report-whatsapp-image-20240719-18.48.11.jpeg

The Old Zen (This was my primary ride and I spotted it outside a restaurant. I think it was being used at a training school) next to the new:
Zen Estilo - 10,000 km Report-289017_10150406914347786_4174690_o.jpg
binoym is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 12:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

I owned one between 2014 to 2020. It was practical, had a small footprint and was easy to drive in Hyd roads. Sold it for the 3OO. It gave good mileage and was absolutely zero cost to maintain. My annual service bills were around 3K and that's it. Nothing was changed, no replacements were done. It was the typical - fill it, shut it and forget it types. I drove it for around 55K kilometers and there was not a single instance of disappointment. The brakes were the biggest drawback though. I was scared to drive it beyond 80 KMPH. Was absolutely not sure how it would behave if I had to brake suddenly.
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks