Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 22:24   #61

Thanks Anand,

Frankly after reading your report about the driving you have done over the period ,i am sold to the idea of Tucson .

In fact i was thinking and budgeting for a Used Fusion (the emotional problems of Used never existed in place) , but Tucson is way over it in all departments(including Price). Was looking out for a vehicle with some good Ground Clearance ,safe enough on highways (for my family) and chomps off rough roads easily.Driving down from Pune-Solapur-Bijapur and Konkan trips in my Alto has made me think of going in for a sturdier vehicle.

Need to re-evaluate.But that wont stop me from meeting you to check out your Tucson and getting more information .
Old 11th August 2009, 10:49   #62
BANNED

I always looked at Tuscon, even when all i could afford was a Santro. Just wondering if Skoda can think of launch a relatively new product YETI at ~12 l ex showroom , why cant Hyundai manufacture / assemble Tucson in India ?

i think its the India Automakers' gameplan to keep SUV prices high.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:13   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
I always looked at Tuscon, even when all i could afford was a Santro. Just wondering if Skoda can think of launch a relatively new product YETI at ~12 l ex showroom , why cant Hyundai manufacture / assemble Tucson in India ?

i think its the India Automakers' gameplan to keep SUV prices high.
Absolutely.
Locally assembled Tuc means half the current price @8 to 10 lacks.
There will be no need for the indian SUV buyer at large to participate in the "Tata Safari v2.2 Beta Trial".

Last edited by anandpadhye : 11th August 2009 at 15:16.
Old 16th September 2009, 14:02   #64
BHPian

Tucson Keyless Entry

Can someone help me in finding an OEM keyless entry, security solution for Hyundai Tucson?

Its bloody surprising that a 16 lac vehicle did not come with such a basic feature like keyless entry.

Since the Tucson sold abroad comes with all such goodies, I'm guessing a plug-n-play solution might be available in the market. I'm looking for some Genuine Hyundai accessory or an aftermarket part which absolutely does not involve cutting or splicing any stock wiring. Your suggestions are very welcome if the type I intend to have does not exist.

I'm close to finalizing a deal on a used Tucson and slowly arming myself with the necessary upgrade solutions.

Also how much is the required tyre pressure for stock tires?

Also if anyone has a PDF copy of the Tucson user manual or workshop/service manual, kindly share.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:12   #65
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

BTW, please have a look at the attached bill. Prices look reasonable for a CBU SUV.

Cheers!
The timing belt related charges are exactly the same as I paid when we had the change done in the Elantra. Logically, they should be considering its the same engine, however its good to see that Hyundai is playing by the rules.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:42   #66
BHPian

The 'T' is surely a lively machine. I've always wanted one, but couldn't find a 2nd hand machine and a new one was out of my budget.

Just curious, what's the spend on replacement parts after the purchase and running?
Old 19th September 2009, 13:03   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
The 'T' is surely a lively machine. I've always wanted one, but couldn't find a 2nd hand machine and a new one was out of my budget.

Just curious, what's the spend on replacement parts after the purchase and running?
Yes, 'T' is a cheerful machine indeed.
Particularly considering that it's a 2005 state of the art.
Scorpio and Safari engines even as of 2009 are nowhere close to the Tuc!
Let alone the steering precision and handling - Tuc is simply "crisp" to drive - way ahead of the scorp and safari even as of today.
(Disclaimer: in the handling department, Tuc can not be comapred with the cars, of course. But in the SUV leauge in it's range - Tuc and GV top the chart. I have heard that Pajero is a good handler - the one I drove was exceptionally poorly maintained...)

Now slowly it might seem to slip it's advantage with the advent of powerful 3 litre CRDi SUV's, and the petrol scene getting exiting with the TSI's, etc. The 2 liter CRDi in Tuc is very conservatively tuned and no VGT...still it does woders on the road.

BTW, for expenses, You can refer to:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1379395

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1400536

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th September 2009 at 13:11.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:52   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine oil dripping from Air Intake piping - suspected turbo Problem?

Hi guys,

My Tucson has done a little over 89000KM now...
Last one year has been silent - with a few trips to Mumbai and Konkan as usual, a clutch replacement at around 86000KM followed by windshield glass replacement - broken by some cement and concrete lump that fell from an under construction building site near my apartment building...

However, here is a first real important cause of concern - of late, I see engine oil dripping from the air intake piping...quantity is not much, no black smoke from the exhaust, no drop in performance whatsoever. Got it checked at the service center and they suspect the oil seal in the turbo is on it's way. The turbo costs Rs. 75000 and replacement is the only option. We got the entire air intake plumbing checked and cleaned (including the intercooler) but dripping continues and steadily increasing.

Any thoughts on this?

I will post the pics but the service adviser is a very knowledgeable guy and has always tried to take the most economical path everytime so far.

Is there anyway to repair the turbo oil seal?
Or get the Hyundai Tucson OEM/replacement turbo from reliable source for much lesser price?

Any other suggestions?

Mods, can we edit the thread title with the following text appended: "A suspected Turbo oil seal problem?". - Thanks

Last edited by anandpadhye : 8th November 2010 at 12:56.
Old 8th November 2010, 13:21   #69
BHPian

Where is the oil leaking from?

I had a similar issue after a misplaced cir-clip end rubbed and punctured the adjoining hose. IIRC, it was the turbo inlet pipe. There was very minor oil drip from the punctured pipe but the service center guys (COK) mentioned it is common in Elantra and Tucson to have some amount of oil in the pipe due to oil vapor. They even showed it to me on an Elantra which has done some 28-30K klicks.

Of course after replacing the punctured pipe (for free since it was service centre's (HYD) mistake), there was no further issue and I must have covered 10-12K Kms since then.

Google also tells me that a small amount of oil in the Turbo intake is quite normal as long as your oil consumption is not alarmingly high. Search for "oil in turbo inlet" and there are lots of threads on the same.

You will have to figure out where it is leaking from though since it should not leak unless there is a rupture somewhere.

If you indeed need the turbo replaced, check Ebay UK for parts. They usually turns out to be much cheaper than Hyundai India/MOBIS.
Old 8th November 2010, 23:02   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Anoop.

Here is the picture.
You can see the front left tyre and the front left towing hook.
The textured pipe is the intercooler out - I think it's wet with oil - that's what the SA told me. The solid pipe to the left of this is actually dripping the oil, forgot what this pipe is.
You can see the chassis frame is shining because of oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-tucson_air_intake.jpg  

Last edited by anandpadhye : 8th November 2010 at 23:06.
Old 8th November 2010, 23:10   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is another picture.
This shows that solid pipe more clealy.

Any clue?
Please tell me this is simple plumbing issue and not turbo related and it will be a big relief.

What is it guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-tucson_air_in2.jpg  

Last edited by anandpadhye : 8th November 2010 at 23:12.
Old 9th November 2010, 02:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Any other suggestions?
There are turbo rebuild kits which include the seal.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th November 2010 at 07:29.
Old 9th November 2010, 14:24   #73
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures. I now remember that it was the textured pipe which was punctured in my case and it had traces of oil which 3 Hyundai service centers (in two states) independently confirmed to be normal in Elantra and Tucson.

I cant make out much from the pictures, but it appears that both those pipes are rubbing against each other and since the inter-cooler pipe is textured, it is very difficult to know if it is really punctured unless it is examined closely. It is a short L-Bend; please ask the SA to disconnect it and see from the insides whether they have any punctures.

If the turbo really is the culprit, it should show other signs like excessive smoke and lack of boost. When I had problem with the inter-cooler pipe, I was hearing mild BOV sort of sound on hard acceleration and that's when I started looking for leaks. I hope your's is also a plumbing problem (like I had). Awaiting more updates.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 9th November 2010 at 14:25.
Old 15th November 2010, 18:39   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Interim Update

Tucson is in the service center - I gave them the print copies of all the suggestions and experiences shared by fellow BHPeans on this thread as well as via PM's. Service guys opened the air intake piping and have found a cracked/torn pipe. So that will be replaced and then we will trial the car for some days. This pipe explains the point of leakage "out" of the air intake. What's the "source" of oil into the air intake is another issue (if the quantity is more than normal - that is). I will visit the service center and follow up tomorrow.

BTW, while checking for this, we saw while powder on radiator fan and the front side of the engine - turned out that the radiator has some minor leak (or shall I say that some part of radiator piping has become porous) and coolant is spraying out in small quantity - lucky to have spotted this early. Once again I urged them to fix this somehow (rather than replacing the radiator). They are not sure if that's possible. M-seal would not hold due to high pressure and temperatures prevalent in the radiator during running is what they say.

Any suggestions, guys?

Thanks!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th November 2010 at 18:41.
Old 15th November 2010, 19:01   #75
Senior - BHPian

If you have to replace the Oil Seal, and its a Rubber Oil Seal, send me the size/sample and I might be able to get one made for you ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks