Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 09:17   #1336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I guess, I should have waited a year more and got a hawk with the tail
You can still go for the hawk by finding this elephant a different mahout.
Old 10th November 2009, 10:14   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Guess Tata should give tsk some award. I would have gone bonkers if all this had happened to me.

Like Mag said, cant you sell it off and get the Scorpio?
Old 10th November 2009, 10:56   #1338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Another Safari after all he has been through??? Ravi you sure do know how to look at the positive side of things.
Tanveer you up to it??
World ends in 2012 So I guess it does not matter. However, if the world does not end, then I don't think I will buy a safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
From teh video it looks like the idle fluctuation is doing a small jig.

Maybe the engine idling is connected to the audio system.
Or maybe she just likes to dance
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
You can still go for the hawk by finding this elephant a different mahout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Guess Tata should give tsk some award. I would have gone bonkers if all this had happened to me.

Like Mag said, cant you sell it off and get the Scorpio?
Once the 4 years are over, its bye bye to her. Hopefully a Japanese diesel SUV will be in affordable range then?
Old 10th November 2009, 11:40   #1339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess, I should have waited a year more and got a hawk with the tail
Quote:
...the cost of maintenance... thats getting a tad too much
Quote:
...I don't think I will buy a safari...
Once the 4 years are over, its bye bye to her.
Tanveer, the sadness in your heart really comes through in the above posts.

Dammit, it's a car with metal, rubber and plastics in it, not a pretty girl who's not responding to your attentions. Stop being sentimental, and let's get it fixed one of these days. What's that 150k km warranty for? Not all Safaris behave the way yours does, as evident from so many owners here, so it's obviously not a completely faulty design. I see no reason why it can't be made to perform as good as any of the other Safaris. I believe you're stuck between poor knowledge & workmanship at your service station, and a car that came off the assembly line with poor quality control. So let's DO something about it... till the time you really have to sell it.
Old 10th November 2009, 11:50   #1340
Team-BHP Support

SS, I would put blame on assembly line rather than service station.
Think about it.
Within 10,000kms the 4x4 hubs failed. Luckily its under warranty.
Since day 1, every time I hit brakes she tends to go sideways. Now I have resigned to opposite lock technique during braking. Multiple service centers right from Autolinks, Sterling. Sanya etc., could not give a permanent fix. It goes fine for couple of months, and the problem then returns again.

At 17000kms the bearings failed, and i never did any water fording.
Since 7000kms on the odo the rpm fluctuates, and nobody at either TML or Delphi have any clue.

Since 20,000kms I had been facing problem of jerks, and it was fixed finally at 30,000kms with lots of bushes changed.
So essentially the bushes went at 20,000kms(before the leh trip!) And bushes are not covered under warranty.
Thankfully the vibration damper(a 1000rs part) was covered under warranty!)

That said, around 14000kms the radiator also gave way, along with a tie rod. When we bought the safari, we had planned to sell it as soon as the 4 years are over, as it does not make sense to keep a tata vehicle for more than the warranty period. So I guess, 1.5 years almost gone, 2.5 to go

Or if I win a lottery or kbk something, then probably I can get rid of her next year itself!
Old 10th November 2009, 12:04   #1341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  1. Within 10,000kms the 4x4 hubs failed.
  2. Since day 1, every time I hit brakes she tends to go sideways.
  3. At 17000kms the bearings failed, and i never did any water fording.
  4. Since 7000kms on the odo the rpm fluctuates
  5. Since 20,000kms I had been facing problem of jerks, and it was fixed finally at 30,000kms with lots of bushes changed.
  6. ...the vibration damper(a 1000rs part) was covered under warranty!)
  7. ...the radiator also gave way, along with a tie rod.
Or if I win a lottery or kbk something, then probably I can get rid of her next year itself!
Has any other member here reported such histrionics from his Safari? many use their cars mercilessly (take adc for example).

You're right, it was a bad assembly, but then I am confident that in the right hands it can be fixed. That's why I said
Quote:
poor knowledge & workmanship at your service station
So when are you taking a couple of days' leave? I'll plan mine accordingly...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 10th November 2009 at 12:06.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:06   #1342
Senior - BHPian

We have so many senior members who know in and out of Safari problem. Why can't we have a meeting or call TML authorities for 2 days of customer orientation program and tell them the facts. I know there will be guys from TML who have enrolled/employees of TML reading these facts. But still why can't they work on these problems and release a good vehicle rather than cramping the customer from day 1 itself.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:10   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer suspension components are under warranty till 35K KM , Are you sure that A.S.S has not overcharged you for the rubber bushes ?

I do not recall reading anywhere that bush are distinct from rest of the suspension components and will not be covered under warranty.
I would suggest to write to TML and clarify if they should have charged for bushes or not preferably before 35K are over.

Perhaps your A.S.S is fed up of the ongoing problems of White elephant and they want to deter you for visiting their service center going forward.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:22   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once the 4 years are over, its bye bye to her. Hopefully a Japanese diesel SUV will be in affordable range then?
Why not a Korean ?

Quote:
SS, I would put blame on assembly line rather than service station.
Think about it.
Within 10,000kms the 4x4 hubs failed. Luckily its under warranty.
Since day 1, every time I hit brakes she tends to go sideways. Now I have resigned to opposite lock technique during braking. Multiple service centers right from Autolinks, Sterling. Sanya etc., could not give a permanent fix. It goes fine for couple of months, and the problem then returns again.

At 17000kms the bearings failed, and i never did any water fording.
Since 7000kms on the odo the rpm fluctuates, and nobody at either TML or Delphi have any clue.

Since 20,000kms I had been facing problem of jerks, and it was fixed finally at 30,000kms with lots of bushes changed.
So essentially the bushes went at 20,000kms(before the leh trip!) And bushes are not covered under warranty.
Thankfully the vibration damper(a 1000rs part) was covered under warranty!)

That said, around 14000kms the radiator also gave way, along with a tie rod. When we bought the safari, we had planned to sell it as soon as the 4 years are over, as it does not make sense to keep a tata vehicle for more than the warranty period. So I guess, 1.5 years almost gone, 2.5 to go

what is the kbk thing?

And that posts sums up your long term ownership at 31k!
Old 10th November 2009, 12:30   #1345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Has any other member here reported such histrionics from his Safari? many use their cars mercilessly (take adc for example).

You're right, it was a bad assembly, but then I am confident that in the right hands it can be fixed. That's why I said

So when are you taking a couple of days' leave? I'll plan mine accordingly...
Well, now I am not planning to show her at any TASC/TASS. Next checkup will be at 45000kms service, and I plan to get it done at autolinks.
BTW, from yesterday, every time I release clutch there is a twang from the spring. Sanya fixed the spring so that the clutch return is okay(earlier clutch did not return upon release of pedal). Now that problem is fixed, and I get twang sound, but I guess I will live with noises and such

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
We have so many senior members who know in and out of Safari problem. Why can't we have a meeting or call TML authorities for 2 days of customer orientation program and tell them the facts. I know there will be guys from TML who have enrolled/employees of TML reading these facts. But still why can't they work on these problems and release a good vehicle rather than cramping the customer from day 1 itself.
I don't think they really care. If that was the case they would not have used customers for gunea pigs for earlier indicas and safaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Tanveer suspension components are under warranty till 35K KM , Are you sure that A.S.S has not overcharged you for the rubber bushes ?

I do not recall reading anywhere that bush are distinct from rest of the suspension components and will not be covered under warranty.
I would suggest to write to TML and clarify if they should have charged for bushes or not preferably before 35K are over.

Perhaps your A.S.S is fed up of the ongoing problems of White elephant and they want to deter you for visiting their service center going forward.
This was a different TASS. As for rubber parts, all rubber parts are not under warranty, even if they fail at 1000kms. For example, when the bearings failed, I still had to pay 300rs for the rubber seals!
Quote:
Why not a Korean ?

what is the kbk thing?

And that posts sums up your long term ownership at 31k!
kbk is Kaun Banega Krorpati. As for korean, I doubt they will make 4WDs in Indian market any time soon. My hopes on a 10L SUV lie either with the japanese or Maruti.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:40   #1346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...every time I release clutch there is a twang from the spring.
Wow... your engine dances to the music and the clutch plays the guitar! This is priceless...
Old 10th November 2009, 12:44   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what is the kbk thing?
He meant KBC, not KBK
Old 10th November 2009, 12:48   #1348
Team-BHP Support

Cost breakup till now

Though the total repair cost including tires would be much higher, but I am not including this here. I will paste the repair cost of this beast for visits to Tata service stations, including regular service

As you can see, the maintenance cost is a whopping 60p/km. A tad too high for a vehicle not even 1.5 years old!

Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-cost.jpg
Old 10th November 2009, 12:57   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you can see, the maintenance cost is a whopping 60p/km. A tad too high for a vehicle not even 1.5 years old!
It is the last visit alone that has pushed up the cost by 12 paise a km - if you take that one out (as I mentioned on my thread, I think they may have ripped you off, I don't think Autolinks would have charged you 3.5k for this work), its 48 paise per km.

Given a vehicle of these proportions, what kind of per km cost did you have in mind?
Old 10th November 2009, 13:08   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
It is the last visit alone that has pushed up the cost by 12 paise a km - if you take that one out (as I mentioned on my thread, I think they may have ripped you off, I don't think Autolinks would have charged you 3.5k for this work), its 48 paise per km.

Given a vehicle of these proportions, what kind of per km cost did you have in mind?
anything around 50 Paise/Km, is good for deisel SUV, my SX4 is currently running on around 40 Paise/Km, so I don't thing its doing that bad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks