Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 10:26   #1321
Team-BHP Support

sure Abhi we can do that, but before that I am giving my vehicle to Sanya Okhla next week for 3 days. The guy says 3 days will give him ample time
This is his take on my issues
1. Steering play has increased. you can move it left right without having any affect transmitted to the wheels?
*Its adjustible, they will fix it*
2. Engine note is coarser
*Will check, will also check ECU parameters for FE drop*
3. Transmission jerk is horrible now(I noticed this too), Any gear you even touch the throttle, there is a very strong transmission jerk. Sterling guys say "hota hai"
*Its certainly not normal, and its not U-Joint or spilines. Infact he caught this immediately. Then he stepped out and asked me to move the vehicle back and forward(1st and reverse gear). After that he asked me to step out, and asked me to observe that the rear wheel moves w.r.t to body more than normal. He says linkages(Chassis to drivetrain etc.,) seem to be the culprit. to get to the root of the problem is one days work
4. Every time I downshift into 1st from second, as long as clutch is pressed, there is a whining sound from under the gear lever
*Will check pressure plate. This does not seem to be clutch plate issue, but something to with release bearing and pressure plate*
5. After brake pad cleaning, the brakes adjustment has gone bad. You have to press the pedal more. There is no problem of "bite" in brakes, its just that you have to press the pedal more.
*This is adjustible*
6. After an uphill traffic jam kind of scenario where some clutch load is there, the clutch pedal goes spongy, and comes back with reluctance. Air in system? Those guys do not know how to bleed the clutch or what/
*Again, pressure plate issue. When clutch gets hot, there is problem in releasing, this is not simple air in system or dirt in system problem*
7. The underbody clang clang is still there, inspite of taking my car to sterling twice for this problem. They say "Pathar fasa hua tha", or skid plate is loose blah blah
*Something is clanging, and its not skid plate, when he opens up, he will check axle housing etc.,*
8. Power windows stop climbing up when its cold. I had to pull the window up
*Weather strips seem over tight*
9. Engine rpm keeps doing its 800-1000rpm dance when its cold, esp when you switch up the AC to clear the windscreen
*Sedimentar may be sending wrong signals to ECU when fuel is cold. Till now they have changed all sensors, but nobody checked sedimeter*
10. Ride is much rougher. I have 30 front and 32 rear
*Will check the shockers and bushes*
11. There is some "keys vibrating" like sound from the console, and no its not the key ring, it comes even when you hold it
*Looks like superficial rattle, will fix is*
12. If you are coasting down an incline or flyover in lower gears (2nd esp), and you leave the acclerator, there is a crunch sound and deacc is jerky, not smooth(I think its related to the transmission jerk"
*Related to jerk in every gear, linkages seem to be the culprit*
13. Inspite of me shouting at sterling people that dust comes in even in internal circulation mode, they cannot fix it. It happens only when vehicle is at speed. Looks like due to air pressure the flap is moving on its own.
*You cannot see flap and decide if its close or open. Even if there is a micro leak, dust will come in. so he says he will open dashboard, take out the mechanism, and check if the "foam seal" is okay, and also check the gears if they are giving enough pressure to keep the flap closed when air hits
Old 26th October 2009, 10:42   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Last Saturday, while at TASS, I came across a Jan-Feb 2.2 with clutch issues. Seems to be caused by regular stop&go traffic at Bangalore.

The clutch was being replaced under warranty; but what was interesting was the comment made by the SA that the clutch present in older Safari's were different and prone to issues than that of the ones in the recent batches. He was not sure of the change done, but he did say that there is a major change and the same issue would not happen in the newer batch (since I asked him if my vehicle will meet the same fate).

Maybe something for thought.

And for the air flap, same issue. When they mentioned removing the dashboard, I moved that for the next service visit.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:39   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The clutch was being replaced under warranty; but what was interesting was the comment made by the SA that the clutch present in older Safari's were different and prone to issues than that of the ones in the recent batches. He was not sure of the change done, but he did say that there is a major change and the same issue would not happen in the newer batch (since I asked him if my vehicle will meet the same fate).

Maybe something for thought.

And for the air flap, same issue. When they mentioned removing the dashboard, I moved that for the next service visit.
They have had a change of design in the master cylinder and can fit only in the new models due to design change, it will not fit the earlier 2.2l Safari's.
Old 26th October 2009, 15:48   #1324
Team-BHP Support

So if the new one has to fit, then entire clutch(plates) etc., have to be changed or even the gearbox has to be changed?
Old 7th November 2009, 23:45   #1325
Team-BHP Support

Safari EX 4x4 31000kms - the circus continues

Well today I got her back from Sanya after 3 days.
The bill?
A whopping 3500+ with approx 2000rs for labor.
A lot of bushes got changed, and guess what, they are not under warranty, hence the hefty labor charges. Kinds of makes the concept of warranty pretty pointless.

However the misery does not stop here.
We start from Okhla around 7pm, decide to stop on the way for some grocery shopping, and I need to take a U turn. Hear some weird weird noises from undercarriage.

Try to figure out whats wrong. Whether they have not tightened the plastic plate after shim adjustment etc.,?

Well thats loose all right, but the source of noise is far more exotic as I discover.
The noise is from the right wheel touching the skid plate.
Now you may wonder, how can the wheel touch skid plate. Well, those geniuses have tightened the skid plate on the brake booster somehow. How did they manage such a feat, I have no idea.

But right now its for me.
Tomorrow most tata workshops are closed, but they will find one in noida where I can go and get things fixed.

I guess, I should have waited a year more and got a hawk with the tail
Old 8th November 2009, 00:16   #1326
Senior - BHPian

I hope you take a photo of the undercarriage - send them an email and make sure they recompensate you against the labor charges of this tomfoolery!

kal aa rahe ho?
Old 8th November 2009, 01:12   #1327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I hope you take a photo of the undercarriage - send them an email and make sure they recompensate you against the labor charges of this tomfoolery!

kal aa rahe ho?
I hope they do not try to take more labor charges for fixing this tomfoolery!
BTW, now tomorrow I have to get this fixed, so trail blazing plans canceled
Old 8th November 2009, 04:40   #1328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
BTW, now tomorrow I have to get this fixed, so trail blazing plans canceled
Awww....thats bad.

Tanveer what value youd put to virtually constant visits to various TASS?
Old 8th November 2009, 08:48   #1329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Steering play has increased. you can move it left right without having any affect transmitted to the wheels?
*Its adjustible, they will fix it*
Most likely a rubber bush that would cost 10- 15 Rs, but the labor is Rs 125/- ! That's what happened with my truck, so I'm kind of not suprised with high bill this time.

Feel bad to see you go through all this. If you were here, would have referred you to my SA.
Old 8th November 2009, 09:46   #1330
Senior - BHPian

So story continued, but already 30,000+ KM. Thats good going Tanveer. Don't loose heart for on going problem. You would have noticed big troubles turned into small issues these days. Time and Karma just testing your patience. 2014 target to buy brand new Safari which you will enjoy without niggles for 10 years!

By now it would be part of your daily basis lifestyle. I am sure from hereonwards things would take U turn and you will feel better day by day.

My one advise is use your Safari for on road and avoid offroad next 1 year to see if it works better for you.

OT I hope you have kept your family GOD in your vehicle and visit the Temple once a while which I am trying to adopt as well

Safari is still worth for trouble it gave, Luxury at low cost is simply superb including 4X4.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 8th November 2009 at 09:49.
Old 9th November 2009, 09:50   #1331
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Awww....thats bad.

Tanveer what value youd put to virtually constant visits to various TASS?
Its hard to put value to this, but the cost of maintenance... thats getting a tad too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Most likely a rubber bush that would cost 10- 15 Rs, but the labor is Rs 125/- ! That's what happened with my truck, so I'm kind of not suprised with high bill this time.

Feel bad to see you go through all this. If you were here, would have referred you to my SA.
Well once the metro link to GGN come up, I will resume with autolinks

BTW, idle surging is back with a vengence.
Look from around 8 seconds

And on a sidenote, look what I caught recently
Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-image015.jpg

Last but not the least, the skid plates got fixed, just needed hammering back into place, and refixing, Luckily dynamic(noida 64) was open
But look how it was fixed over the brake booster reservoir

Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-image016.jpg
Old 9th November 2009, 11:37   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, do check the inside wall of you front right tyre, the corner of the skid plate is bent and can cause cuts, get that straightened.

Also, I feel (although the picture is hazy) that its sagging down, to correct use a hydraulic jack and place its holder under the edges (from where it folds up) at the back, pump a few to lift it, the weight itself would bring it back in place. No need for hammering.
Old 9th November 2009, 11:40   #1333
Team-BHP Support

No, its not sagging down, they tightened it over the booster thingy. Its not clear in the image, but the edge of the plate is under the round brake booster.

I went to service center.

They put her up on the ramp, and the motor started smoking, the ramp could not lift her.
Finally a different ramp was tried, and she was raised.
The tire is fine, and some hammering and refitting to the plate fixed that also.
Old 10th November 2009, 00:06   #1334
BHPian

Quote:
So story continued, but already 30,000+ KM. Thats good going Tanveer. Don't loose heart for on going problem. You would have noticed big troubles turned into small issues these days. Time and Karma just testing your patience. 2014 target to buy brand new Safari which you will enjoy without niggles for 10 years!
Another Safari after all he has been through??? Ravi you sure do know how to look at the positive side of things.
Tanveer you up to it??
Old 10th November 2009, 08:48   #1335
Team-BHP Support

From teh video it looks like the idle fluctuation is doing a small jig.

Maybe the engine idling is connected to the audio system.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks