Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 13:51   #1306
Team-BHP Support

Yup, the tie rods are fine, no play in steering
There was some clang clang on rough roads coming. A rock was found sitting on top of the skid plate, must have flown in due to spinning wheels.
Apart from that, everything A-OK!
Old 30th September 2009, 13:57   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yup, the tie rods are fine, no play in steering
There was some clang clang on rough roads coming. A rock was found sitting on top of the skid plate, must have flown in due to spinning wheels.
Apart from that, everything A-OK!

Didnt you try to swap vehicle speed sensor to see if ur idle fluctuations go away , at the wksp ?
Old 30th September 2009, 14:34   #1308
Team-BHP Support

Speed sensor, Crank sensor, infact all sensors have been changed, the problem persists.
Only when you do a ECU reset, the problem goes away for 300-400kms to come back again
Old 30th September 2009, 23:33   #1309
Senior - BHPian

tsk: what is a cat-con clean? Was it needed at 27k?

Thought the watch was some china make; happy to know its a Titan
Old 1st October 2009, 00:28   #1310
Team-BHP Support

Catalytic converter clean. Even I dunno why its needed at 27K, but guess I will let them get on with it since its once every 30K kms only.
Old 1st October 2009, 01:14   #1311
Team-BHP Support

I do not know what CatCon cleaning they did for you (CatCon has precious metals AFAIK and it needs to be replaced once its gone kaput) but for my Turbo the A.S.S. swindled me. They took the car to an open area and pressed the accelerator 4-5 times with gusto. This is because I told them to check for black smoke on acceleration. The buggers charged me Rs.100 in the bill for CatCon cleaning!!! Beat that.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:09   #1312
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Zappo: I dont think Cat cons are cleaned. They are replaced after their usable life or if they fail.

This is how they clean cat cons:
Ive seen them take the car to the wash bay. Shut the engine & pump water up the backside(tailpipe) using a high pressure hose. Then they start the engine and revv hard causing a lot of water & soot & silt to shoot out.
This is done 2-3 times. Bingo..!!

This process ensures that your silencer is cleaned of temporary soot & completely destroys your catalytic converter.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:18   #1313
Team-BHP Support

Whoa!
So if CAT con is destroyed, how to check that? The warranty says cat con is covered under warranty.
I will take care next time definitely!
Old 1st October 2009, 11:35   #1314
Senior - BHPian

CAT CON is cleaned by compressed air not water jet.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:20   #1315
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

CAT CON is indeed to be cleaned with compressed air not water jet.

I have got mine completely cleaned out (as in the entire stuff in the CAT CON barrel is removed. so there is effectively no CAT CON. Obviously this makes by BS11 TCIC Safari a BS1 version - Power increased, silencer air sound to increased. Now plan to replace the CAT CON with a straight pipe. All this obviously at the cost of PUC control. - Sorry Earth.

Duplicate CAT CONs are available for Rs. 2200, and original ones from Opera house market for Rs. 8500 and from the service centres at Rs. 11K Plus.

The CAT CON is a consumable and would not be replaced under warranty after 25,000 odd Kms so if you wish to retain it keep getting it cleaned with air at the authorized centre.
Old 1st October 2009, 13:52   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Whoa!
So if CAT con is destroyed, how to check that? The warranty says cat con is covered under warranty.
I will take care next time definitely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
CAT CON is cleaned by compressed air not water jet.

Source of my gyan: Ive seen cat con cleaning done with water jets on more than one occasion at a TML, Maruti & Hyundai workshop.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:15   #1317
Distinguished - BHPian

Catalytic converter cleaning - this article may be of interest to everyone. AFAIK, there is no way a cat con can be cleaned out with a water jet or air jet. The only way to get a cat con back to working is to replace it. Except, as stated in the article: BioEd Online: Catalytic converters clean up.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:53   #1318
Team-BHP Support

Time for an update.
The Odo stands around 29500 now.
I drive her regularly, but my wife took over the wheel after a long hiatus, and she was shocked.
Its like a truck after the service happened.
I had not noticed many thing which she noticed as soon as she took the wheel. When she pointed them out, I realized, that instead of a smoother car after service, its rougher and coarser.

Well here is the list
1. Steering play has increased. you can move it left right without having any affect transmitted to the wheels?
2. Engine note is coarser
3. Transmission jerk is horrible now(I noticed this too), Any gear you even touch the throttle, there is a very strong transmission jerk. Sterling guys say "hota hai"
4. Every time I downshift into 1st from second, as long as clutch is pressed, there is a whining sound from under the gear lever
5. After brake pad cleaning, the brakes adjustment has gone bad. You have to press the pedal more. There is no problem of "bite" in brakes, its just that you have to press the pedal more.
6. After an uphill traffic jam kind of scenario where some clutch load is there, the clutch pedal goes spongy, and comes back with reluctance. Air in system? Those guys do not know how to bleed the clutch or what/
7. The underbody clang clang is still there, inspite of taking my car to sterling twice for this problem. They say "Pathar fasa hua tha", or skid plate is loose blah blah
8. Power windows stop climbing up when its cold. I had to pull the window up
9. Engine rpm keeps doing its 800-1000rpm dance when its cold, esp when you switch up the AC to clear the windscreen
10. Ride is much rougher. I have 30 front and 32 rear
11. There is some "keys vibrating" like sound from the console, and no its not the key ring, it comes even when you hold it
12. If you are coasting down an incline or flyover in lower gears (2nd esp), and you leave the acclerator, there is a crunch sound and deacc is jerky, not smooth(I think its related to the transmission jerk"
13. Inspite of me shouting at sterling people that dust comes in even in internal circulation mode, they cannot fix it. It happens only when vehicle is at speed. Looks like due to air pressure the flap is moving on its own.

Time to change workshop.
I want to go to Autolinks, but they are too far. I will call up customer care guy to find out if any south Delhi workshop has 4x4 experience.
Sterling guys have the perfect excuse for any sound "4x4 mein hota hai".
And if I ask them to show me another 4x4, they tell no 4x4 has come here for quite some time.
Old 20th October 2009, 12:29   #1319
BHPian

Yes, I also think that you should change your TASS.

But before that I suggest that you call up TM Gurgaon regional office
Details are here. (Check details for Northern region)

Please try to locate the head Honcho and speak to him or better still go to their office and speak to the head.

If you can convince them to have a dekko at your vehicle and then explain your predicament they should be able to do something for the better.
Writting emails may or may not have an effect considering the size of TM. I also suggest that you complain here and then followup by phoning 1800-209-7979 and insist for the complaint No. Visit to CSM can happen after that.

I had similar problems during my Sierra days and i wrore directly to Mr. Ravi Kant, who was then head of the passenger car business. Things got better after that.

Last edited by kingshukt : 20th October 2009 at 12:30.
Old 25th October 2009, 16:40   #1320
BHPian

Tanveer, I've completed a 17k myself. Went to the gurgaon autolinks with rear door rattle which they rectified.
There i managed to drive another 4x4 done 20K and it felt seriously different than mine. The steering was so much more smoother, the gearshift though was totally messed up. This vehicle felt much much lighter than mine to drive, the engine though sounded like a tata 407 implant.
After that experience i was thinking it would be great if we can meet up share our niggles and also drive each other's safaris to find out what all "hota hai"s are actually hota hai, and which all are just an excuse to cover up their inability to solve the problem.
What do u say? There are a few issues that crop up only while driving on steep slopes at high altitiudes. Dont know whom to share them with to resolve those. TASS guys say show us the problem. I'm not going to lug them to sangla valley to show them what happens.
Can we have a thread which actually gets 3-4 4x4 elephants together and all the guys sit together in each of the beasts and the owner shows off his issues. The others can take turns to drive his safari and give their feedback and the process is repeated with every safari.
I think it might lay a lot of apprehentions to rest.
you are really active here so if you can take initiative and get something started it would be great. What say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks